• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Matt Windle interview with Car and Driver

The i4 will come out eventually this year, that I am fairly certain. Probably start seeing reviews Q2.

The real question is for me is when does the V6 run end? I can certainly see the electric version being the range topping sports car and replace the V6. The i4 will stick around for a few more years to come.... But with the way the reviewer's have talked poorly about the V6 Emira, even if it is the last manual Lotus, it seems it's days are numbered and will be first on the chopping block. They lost 1 year of production already due to delay's, that isn't coming back. I think the V6 will be done in 2025 with a limited cup version.

The new Emira GT4(track only) will eventually adopt the AMG i4. Lighter and can produce more power, certainly a better option for the track.

The i4 will come out eventually this year, that I am fairly certain. Probably start seeing reviews Q2.

The real question is for me is when does the V6 run end? I can certainly see the electric version being the range topping sports car and replace the V6. The i4 will stick around for a few more years to come.... But with the way the reviewer's have talked poorly about the V6 Emira, even if it is the last manual Lotus, it seems it's days are numbered and will be first on the chopping block. They lost 1 year of production already due to delay's, that isn't coming back. I think the V6 will be done in 2025 with a limited cup version.

The new Emira GT4(track only) will eventually adopt the AMG i4. Lighter and can produce more power, certainly a better option for the track.

I may have missed it, but did Lotus confirm there will never be a manual M139 AMG Emira? I also wonder if future Emira versions (GT, Cups, Etc) will be offered with V6 manual. :unsure:

Sadly I think they are in La La Land. They are already making very basic production errors and if they ramp it up to 7k pa that production line just won't cope unless it is run in a very un Lotus way - there is just too much manual work and therein lies the problem.

Looks aside It's a good car but not an amazing car. Looks will sell cars, but the shambolic scheduling and communications added to a dealer network that are at best left out in the cold and its not a recipe for smooth customer relations. The car is good but apart from the looks it isn't a wow. Lotuses have never ceased to impress me after driving and owning them but I didn't I step out of the Emira wowed by it, very sadly the opposite. The Emira has more grip, but the Evora was a much more engaging and special feeling car.
The problem here is most people can't live with an Evora, even as a "fun car." The Emira is far more usable and appeals to a broader audience. That said, it loses a measure of uniqueness and opens the model up to cross shopping. I like the Emira. But the same money buys you a F-type with a stonking V-8, better fit and finish and JLR's dealer network. Even so, I think Lotus will sell every one it builds. It's a cool piece.

The problem here is most people can't live with an Evora, even as a "fun car." The Emira is far more usable and appeals to a broader audience. That said, it loses a measure of uniqueness and opens the model up to cross shopping. I like the Emira. But the same money buys you a F-type with a stonking V-8, better fit and finish and JLR's dealer network. Even so, I think Lotus will sell every one it builds. It's a cool piece.

True, it's a sliding scale of factors. The key to the Emira is staying close enough to the "raw" end of the scale while gaining significant improvements in practicality. The biggest contributors to the Emira's uniqueness is its brand, styling, and chassis tuning. Everything else is "good enough".

Minor point to reinforce: there will be no “electric version” of the Emira. The Type 135 will be a completely separate and different car, though it will (supposedly) be produced alongside Emira at Hethel. (Soon!)

There is no manual gearbox made for the i4 engine and designing one for this run out period would make no sense.

I dont think any of the numbers MW quotes make any sense whatsoever and suddenly its not parts supply thats held production up but a bottleneck in chassis fabrication!

I dont believe anything I am told by them now. Not that they care.

I dont think any of the numbers MW quotes make any sense whatsoever and suddenly its not parts supply thats held production up but a bottleneck in chassis fabrication!

The chassis bottleneck isn’t affecting current production. It’s one of the key limiting factors in scaling up production from one shift to two.

In theory one shift can produce 5,000 cars per year and hence two shifts should be 10,000. But it’ll only be 7,000 until they have addressed the chassis production bottleneck.

That bottleneck has been well known and talked about externally since at least mid 2022.

Totally disagree with you on you comment about “ most people can’t live with an Evora even as a fun car”
That’s your opinion and entitled to it. BUT are you qualified to make that statement. Do you own one? Have you driven one long term. Have you ever driven one on a track
If yes then ok make that comment.
I do not think the Evora was meant for mass appeal.
It is raw and basic and imho an incredible driving and handling car
BTW I do own an Evora GT and not to try show off but I’m getting the Emira FE and plan to keep both.

Totally disagree with you on you comment about “ most people can’t live with an Evora even as a fun car”
That’s your opinion and entitled to it. BUT are you qualified to make that statement. Do you own one? Have you driven one long term. Have you ever driven one on a track
BTW I do own an Evora GT and not to try show off but I’m getting the Emira FE and plan to keep both.
I agree with you, but @Max did say "most people".... and well, based on the sales numbers over a 10 year run, he's probably still correct. Also not sure I agree with his statement that Jag F-type is better.... dealer network may be larger, but that is not a great car IMO. Trying to hard to be an Aston. Sorry for anyone that has one.

You answered your own question.
1) "Totally disagree with you on you comment about “ most people can’t live with an Evora even as a fun car."

2) "It is raw and basic and imho an incredible driving and handling car"

That doesn't speak to a broad audience. Most people can't live with that even as a second car

That kind of raw basics was what torched the Alfa 4C, IMO

"And then going further on when we increase our volume as far as the sports cars are concerned, you're then getting into areas where you can invest in metallic panels and the tooling that comes with metallic panels because you've got the volume so the quality starts improving."

- I do wonder whether this will be on the cards for Type 135. As good as composite panels are these days, the finish achievable on a metallic panel is generally superior (flatter and more even with tighter panel gaps).

I agree with you, but @Max did say "most people".... and well, based on the sales numbers over a 10 year run, he's probably still correct. Also not sure I agree with his statement that Jag F-type is better.... dealer network may be larger, but that is not a great car IMO. Trying to hard to be an Aston. Sorry for anyone that has one.

B

"Trying to hard to be an Aston"

And our problem is.....?

1) "Totally disagree with you on you comment about “ most people can’t live with an Evora even as a fun car."

That doesn't speak to a broad audience. Most people can't live with that even as a second car

Let me clarify it is 100% a fun car to drive especially at the limit
It was never meant to appeal to a broad audience
How about answering my question do you own one. Have you ever driven one for any length of time?
Have you ever driven or owned any Lotus at all.
Please don’t bring other brands into this. You made a statement about the Evora and I responded to you on that.
If you have never owned an Evora then in my opinion you are not qualified to make the statement you made
Do you actually know how many Evora’s were produced in 2021 for the US market
To be exact 276

Let me clarify it is 100% a fun car to drive especially at the limit
It was never meant to appeal to a broad audience
How about answering my question do you own one. Have you ever driven one for any length of time?
Have you ever driven or owned any Lotus at all.
Please don’t bring other brands into this. You made a statement about the Evora and I responded to you on that.
If you have never owned an Evora then in my opinion you are not qualified to make the statement you made
Do you actually know how many Evora’s were produced in 2021 for the US market
To be exact 276
"It was never meant to appeal to a broad audience"

Which was PRECISELY the point I originally made in my post. I wasn't making a judgment on its performance, but it's market breadth as a product.

Good day.

I tracked an Evora GT and was amazed I had lived my life not knowing about this car. I do believe if more people were exposed to and had a chance to drive one it would appeal to a mass audience. This measure can kind of be corroborated by how many people drive an Evora GT once and become a fanatic. I don't have that answer but it would be interesting to find out.

I tracked an Evora GT and was amazed I had lived my life not knowing about this car. I do believe if more people were exposed to and had a chance to drive one it would appeal to a mass audience. This measure can kind of be corroborated by how many people drive an Evora GT once and become a fanatic. I don't have that answer but it would be interesting to find out.
Agree with you. Would also like to know an answer to how many people dive /own the Evora GT. This is probably off topic so may need to start a new discussion on that.
I test drove one for 30 minutes with no salesperson from dealership with me.
They gave me the keys and said go enjoy yourself.
Long story short got back to the dealership and said sold.
So I’m a fantastic. I do have other sports cars as well.
But the Evora imo is the most fun to drive

Last edited:
"And then going further on when we increase our volume as far as the sports cars are concerned, you're then getting into areas where you can invest in metallic panels and the tooling that comes with metallic panels because you've got the volume so the quality starts improving."

- I do wonder whether this will be on the cards for Type 135. As good as composite panels are these days, the finish achievable on a metallic panel is generally superior (flatter and more even with tighter panel gaps).
Yes it is an interesting and telling comment. I would say type 135 is what they are aiming for. Can't see them making massive changes like that to the Emira. Unless it becomes much more cost effective.

Back