• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

More details for KEF Audio

@Eagle7 thanks for following up this with KEF. I am a big audio fan and build my own speakers and hifi components etc. While not a big listener in cars strangely I do appreciate a decent sound there. It is a horrible environment to get true HiFi and have tried many times over the years. The only success is with high power and bullying the sound out of the speakers, usually at high volume. I look forward to anything comments you recieve.

My main cabs I built for home use

49899365581_7e8549462c_c.jpg

Yuck! Don’t like the sound of this at all… I love good hifi.

What’s your benchmark Leonard?
Only the 'normal' from a car perspective. BOSE, Dynaudio, Burmeiester, Harman Kardon. Had a couple of custom systems as well using Focal and Polk components

Only the 'normal' from a car perspective. BOSE, Dynaudio, Burmeiester, Harman Kardon. Had a couple of custom systems as well using Focal and Polk components

ouch then if it isn't outperforming some of those. Never heard Burmeister, but Dynaudio and focal do some good home stuff at their higher end... I've got an amazing pair of Focal's in the front room. Sounds like Leonard Cohen's up the chimney!

ouch then if it isn't outperforming some of those. Never heard Burmeister, but Dynaudio and focal do some good home stuff at their higher end... I've got an amazing pair of Focal's in the front room. Sounds like Leonard Cohen's up the chimney!
It was the one thing I was looking forward to from the FE package, so was a little disappointment. I'm not grumpy for sake of it, honest.. 🙂

Last edited:
It was the one thing I was looking forward to from the FE package, so was a disappointment. I'm not grumpy for sake of it, honest.. 🙂

yeah me too. I'm sure I'll get slated for saying it, but if the stereo isn't up to scratch I'll be looking elsewhere, unless the rest of the package blows me away.

Bizarrely enough I'm considering this as an alternative :rolleyes:

yeah me too. I'm sure I'll get slated for saying it, but if the stereo isn't up to scratch I'll be looking elsewhere, unless the rest of the package blows me away.

Wowser!!!!!!
My issue is we don't have Base prices yet so we don't know if the KEF system is a 1500-2500 pound option or not!

Last edited:
Wowser!!!!!!
My issue is we don't have Vase prices yet so we don't know if the KEF system is a 1500-2500 pound option or not!

Yeah interesting system and a cracking price - if you're a bit hifi bonkers anyway :)

I may not drive very far in it, but I'd be in my front room happy as a pig in shit with a massive grin on my face nonetheless

Agree... no one likes a cheap vase!

They probably will. It's their first system in a car, and their reputation which is high in the audiophile world, would be affected if their car systems can't even beat a Bose system.

I don't know what Lotus gave them as a development platform back when they first started developing the system. It may have been a 3D printed mock-up. They may not have even had an interior model with production leather or Alcantara to test with. At any rate, because of their audiophile reputation, I'm hoping they'll be interested in getting involved in sorting out any issues that are showing up in the early production cars.

It might be nice if they could provide a test/calibration file we could download and put on a flash drive, so we could test our systems and give them feedback on the results. I have a few ideas to give them once I have contact with their engineering team.
I remember how much a difference was made to my aftermarket Alpine setup in my S2000 after it was configured using the Alpine Imprint setup that another S2000 had invested in. It was a night and day difference to have it setup for the car's particular acoustics.

Having Alcantara isn't fatal, it just requires the system taking it into account.
Given the small interior space, it is unlikely that reflection/absorption is a big factor.

Yeah interesting system and a cracking price - if you're a bit hifi bonkers anyway :)

I may not drive very far in it, but I'd be in my front room happy as a pig in shit with a massive grin on my face nonetheless

Agree... no one likes a cheap vase!
Now edited 😅 my phone spell correct is shocking lol

Right you grumpy lot.... let's put this one to bed.

My review of the KEF using both DAB and Apple Carplay

DAB is ok - but certainly seems to be missing some 'depth' - its probably the Aerial - Ali tubs aren't the best for those..
CarPlay is GREAT - put a few songs on - it has great depth, and great bass - the Lotus guy could feel the bass coming out of the side intake :D Its not as good as the burmeister in my friends E class, but then thats a big £/$ upgrade and has loads more speakers throughout the car. But for a Lotus (and sports car) its a good system and sounded clear and had great depth and bass

SEOT (Sealed End of Thread) :)

Big fan of Naim and Focal. Should be amazing.

Right you grumpy lot.... let's put this one to bed.

My review of the KEF using both DAB and Apple Carplay

DAB is ok - but certainly seems to be missing some 'depth' - its probably the Aerial - Ali tubs aren't the best for those..
CarPlay is GREAT - put a few songs on - it has great depth, and great bass - the Lotus guy could feel the bass coming out of the side intake :D Its not as good as the burmeister in my friends E class, but then thats a big £/$ upgrade and has loads more speakers throughout the car. But for a Lotus (and sports car) its a good system and sounded clear and had great depth and bass

SEOT (Sealed End of Thread) :)
Did your source app have equalisation set. I.e Amazon prime music I set my equaliser settings in the app this is a way you can improve bass on the kef, I'm going to try it in my test drive as Dan and the KeF simplistic equalisation made little difference to the bass output.

I didn't buy the Emira for the audio. Unfortunately I have to say that this is the worst audio system I've had in a car. Harman/Kardon in Mini Cooper and BMW 430 - better, Burmester in MB V-class - better, Bose in Alfa Romeo Spider - much better, etc.

But let's drive this fantastic car, we can listen to the audio at home (or in another car!)...

I didn't buy the Emira for the audio. Unfortunately I have to say that this is the worst audio system I've had in a car. Harman/Kardon in Mini Cooper and BMW 430 - better, Burmester in MB V-class - better, Bose in Alfa Romeo Spider - much better, etc.

But let's drive this fantastic car, we can listen to the audio at home (or in another car!)...
Thank you for your honesty. I concur.
Now we can move on 😇🤣

Did your source app have equalisation set. I.e Amazon prime music I set my equaliser settings in the app this is a way you can improve bass on the kef, I'm going to try it in my test drive as Dan and the KeF simplistic equalisation made little difference to the bass output.
Just used Spotify and left the emira sound settings as std

Are you talking about the radio ? Or streaming?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back