More details for KEF Audio

Could be that KEF UK are not the ones calling the shots

Kef is owned by a Hong Kong company called GP acoustics. .

Could be that it was a deal done through China, more than the UK
Interesting take 🏆

Could be that KEF UK are not the ones calling the shots

Kef is owned by a Hong Kong company called GP acoustics. .

Could be that it was a deal done through China, more than the UK
This would definitely explain the silence.

Has the trail gone cold on this?
Not sure that there is anything more to chase down... I guess until one of the more audio inclined members get their hands on an Emira...

Has the trail gone cold on this?

Seems like it. I'm really just curious to know if these "Euro spec" demos running around the US have the upgraded 560w amp or the old 320w (or whatever it was originally).

Seems like it. I'm really just curious to know if these "Euro spec" demos running around the US have the upgraded 560w amp or the old 320w (or whatever it was originally).

I am so unhappy with the KEF system that I have given the task to my dealer to find out in Hethel if my Emira (one of the first cars delivered in October) has a completely up-to-date KEF system including up-to-date software. The answer is yes. However, the system has no bass and no volume at all. So even the upgrade (if there was one) didn't help.

I am so unhappy with the KEF system that I have given the task to my dealer to find out in Hethel if my Emira (one of the first cars delivered in October) has a completely up-to-date KEF system including up-to-date software. The answer is yes. However, the system has no bass and no volume at all. So even the upgrade (if there was one) didn't help.

This just seems crazy to me. KEF is a reputable audio company. Even if this is their first vehicle application, I can't believe they'd fail to make a decent sounding premium system. :oops:

This just seems crazy to me. KEF is a reputable audio company. Even if this is their first vehicle application, I can't believe they'd fail to make a decent sounding premium system. :oops:

First vehicle application, a small cabin... nobody knows :rolleyes:

Maybe the system just lacks volume. But that's usually the first thing any ordinary car amp does well. The sound can be terrible, but the volume is high, in basic cars.

After the initial response I got from one of the guys who manages the website for KEF, I've gotten nothing back. Not even from him again. If in fact the KEF audio system only has their speakers as the KEF part, and the rest is not their technology, that would explain the silence from them. At this point, after attempting 3 times to at least get a contact person, I can only assume the silence is deliberate. What other explanation could there be? As @VL3X said, for a company with the audio reputation of KEF, it seems very strange that for their first foray into car audio, they aren't more pro-active at interacting with an Emira customer. In this case, they aren't being pro-active at all.

Very bothersome.

If U.S. production happens as we've been told, then I should be receiving my car either in April or May, at which time I'll look at the system and do some audio tests myself.

After the initial response I got from one of the guys who manages the website for KEF, I've gotten nothing back. Not even from him again. If in fact the KEF audio system only has their speakers as the KEF part, and the rest is not their technology, that would explain the silence from them. At this point, after attempting 3 times to at least get a contact person, I can only assume the silence is deliberate. What other explanation could there be? As @VL3X said, for a company with the audio reputation of KEF, it seems very strange that for their first foray into car audio, they aren't more pro-active at interacting with an Emira customer. In this case, they aren't being pro-active at all.

Very bothersome.

If U.S. production happens as we've been told, then I should be receiving my car either in April or May, at which time I'll look at the system and do some audio tests myself.

Same. I was in Best Buy last weeking picking up some Sonos speakers as a gift and noticed some KEF speakers on display. I never realized they were sold in the big box stores (but then again I'm never really shopping for speakers). I was excited to see the logo while out and about. Hopefully there's some resolution with basic EQ settings or some update that can be done via Android Automotive to enhance the Emira's audio system. We'll see.

Same. I was in Best Buy last weeking picking up some Sonos speakers as a gift and noticed some KEF speakers on display. I never realized they were sold in the big box stores (but then again I'm never really shopping for speakers). I was excited to see the logo while out and about. Hopefully there's some resolution with basic EQ settings or some update that can be done via Android Automotive to enhance the Emira's audio system. We'll see.
I have a $4k headphone system at home I use all the time, so I know the difference between good audio and just loud with lots of bass. I'll be able to compare different sound files I listen to on my headphones, versus playing them in the Emira. That way I'll be able to tell what's going on with the KEF system, and make adjustments to match what my headphones can do, or at least get as close as I can.

One of the biggest challenges of a car audio system is the road and car noise interfering with the frequencies in the audio system. Loud with lots of bass tends to mask that and make it appear as though the sound is good, when in fact a lot is being cancelled due to car and road noise. I'll know exactly what's supposed to be there in the sound files I use, and I'll see if I can get the system to reproduce it.

I listen to a lot of stuff with orchestra strings, especially solo string bass, cello, viola, violins, etc. I have some good piano sound files, as well as harps, dulcimer, and those kinds of stringed instruments. All of these kinds of sounds require a good system to reproduce well, so if the KEF can handle these, that will tell me if the quality is there. Then it becomes an issue of volume and car/road noise cancellation.

I'll test it sitting in the car in the garage, engine off. Then do one with engine on, then do it again out driving, to see what and where the issues may be, such as they are.

It may very well be that whoever was responsible for the audio in the car, simply bought KEF speakers to use, rather than KEF themselves being responsible for the design and engineering of the system in the car.

It may very well be that whoever was responsible for the audio in the car, simply bought KEF speakers to use, rather than KEF themselves being responsible for the design and engineering of the system in the car.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Initially, I imagined Lotus approaching KEF for a partnership and KEF doing a ton of R&D for their first vehicle application. Maybe it was more like Lotus calling KEF and asking them to send over a bunch of speakers that would fit behind the fancy grills they designed and if they could get them at a discount if Lotus agreed to stick on a KEF logo. I hope that's not true, but what other excuse could there be other than lack of R&D?

As a reminder, the Emira uses the Blueprint Acoustics ”fresh air” subwoofer, seen here:

https://bluacs.com/technology/freshairspeaker/

Volvo has been using this for a while, so there’s a lot of discussion out there (Google away!). Consensus seems to be that the sub is accurate and dynamic, but not loud or thumpy (versus most other car subwoofers).

Perhaps this is the issue… people expect exaggerated bass response in cars (to counteract road noise etc), whereas this sub is more audiophile and not so dramatic. Without an excessive thump, our perception of car audio is a limp sound — unless its sitting in the garage and the engine is off, of course.

No matter what's the truth, there is no excuse for KEF not to answer to @Eagle7 if they initially told him to write him back. Even Lotus themselves are answering each request. Maybe not with actual content, but at least somebody types in some kind words.

Except both Lotus and KEF described it as a partnership for the entire audio system.

"Bringing KEF’s signature sound to Lotus models including the Emira and the Eletre, this deep design collaboration has created an audio system that both sounds and looks stunning. From the unique stainless steel grilles in the Emira to the partially exposed speakers on Eletre’s doors, this is a high-tech and highly aesthetic audio system that is designed to perform, delivering incredible fidelity in perfect harmony with Lotus Cars’ cockpit."

Sounds to me as if the phase on one of the speakers is swapped.

If it is then unfortunately this must be a very common fault! I had an Emira test drive last week and with the car parked (so no road noise) the sound system seemed to have weak mid-range and virtually no base - even with base and mid-range turned up to almost full. I’m not a sound system expert but seemed to me either the input signal to the amplifier was too weak or the amp used is simply not up to the job of driving the Kef speakers.

That's exactly what I had happen in a new car I purchased a while back (not a Lotus). The sub was reversed in polarity and the audio sounded hollow. Reversed the connector then bingo! This was actually a wiring harness issue where the sub audio plug pins were reversed in the wiring connector.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back