• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

More details for KEF Audio

Now you are just gas lighting people. You said what you said, it's a common tactic by people who claim speaker break in is an audible phenomenon to dismiss those with a different claim as simply having inferior hearing. I even pointed it out before you went ahead and made this exact insinuation. Maybe with your immense life experience, you feel especially well equipped to be the authority on a variety of topics, causing you to be dismissive of others, even when you are wrong. You may not even realize you are doing it. As you said, people have different abilities, be open to the possibility that you are not an authority on the functioning of speakers and sound systems.

Look, @Eagle7, I respect much of the contribution you have made to the community. I enjoy a lot of what you've written. You don't need my validation, I am just staying I don't have a personal need to disagree with you. On this topic, your logic and claims have been self contradictory and your reference to certain scientific facts have been often irrelevant or plainly wrong. I have pointed this out several times already. You may have cleared up your comment about speaker cones, but at the time you made the original claim you were doing so quite confidently and dismissive of the well understood scientific facts that others offered.

You may think I am stuck on a single point, but this is because I find it helpful to focus on just one point, show you the available evidence, to at least get you to see the possibility that you have misunderstood things. With that small opening now made, perhaps you would be willing to reexamined your other beliefs on the matter. If your understanding of the mechanisms of break in was incorrect, what other driver change could account for the audible differences you heard, aren't you curious?
You're flat out accusing me of gas lighting?? I simply stated that people have different hearing abilities, which is absolutely true. It wasn't a "tactic" and it's not an insinuation. I wasn't putting anybody down. I'm not even trying to 'win' an argument. I'm simply discussing a topic. You've COMPLETELY misunderstood what my intentions were and are.

Okay this is what I suspect is the real crux of the issue here:

"Maybe with your immense life experience, you feel especially well equipped to be the authority on a variety of topics, causing you to be dismissive of others, even when you are wrong."

Me stating what I think, or at least the way I state it apparently rubs you the wrong way. You're not the only one. This is something I encounter from time to time. I always have to consider, is it me? Or is it that particular individual? Just to help you out, let me state unequivocally: I AM NOT AN AUTHORITY ON THE FUNCTIONING OF SPEAKERS AND SOUND SYSTEMS. There, is that better? I state what my experience has taught me, and I even say that in what I posted. More than a few times actually. It's okay if people disagree with you, and it's okay if people disagree with me. This is a discussion, nothing more. My tech background is in trouble-shooting, and that's a mentality that tries to figure out how to not only solve an issue, but understand what's going on. That's my nature, and why I present things the way I do.

I've seen things in my lifetime, that science says is impossible, yet they happened, so I'm no longer inflexible to the possibility that science may not be accounting for everything. I go by my experience, since that's what's happened, regardless of whether or not "science" says it's real or not. Life is experience, that's how I learn.

I read through the thread that was linked, and there's simply no consensus on this issue. The opponents each have "scientific evidence" to support their positions, yet they disagree. Based on my experience, (and this hasn't happened just once), there is something that happens when high-end speakers get enough hours on them. I call it a break-in (as do others, including KEF), but whatever you want to call it (something I've also said repeatedly in this thread), it's a phenomenon that's observable, and by many different people all over the world. You saying I'm "wrong" doesn't change that. You being absolutely certain you're right doesn't change that. Other than knowing it happens, I don't know exactly what's taking place. Just making educated guesses.

Having spent some time reading about the nature of materials, and how sound and use changes their structure and response (this is something that's a big deal in music and musical instruments, especially woods and paints/varnishes), I know that materials do change over time in the way they respond to sound. It's subtle, but it's there. That's my experience, and I don't have any white papers, graphs, or "scientific" evidence I can show you. I'm NOT an expert, just someone who has noticed some things over time.

The drama is unnecessary, you made that comment literally just a few posts up. Prior to this you made multiple posts in which you were confidently dismissive of the suggestion that this was some type of system issue or gremlin. You were absolutely convinced that it is an example of break in and couldn't believe that others didn't see things how you saw it.

I guess now you are claiming that it's still break-in, just one where the system designers made it this way. I have never heard of anything like this ever being done to any piece of audio hardware. I can't fathom a reason why this would be necessary. It just doesn't make any sense. My money is still on system gremlins.
Oh for god's sake Nova. What do you want here? BEFORE I got more information from the few who are adding that the change they're experiencing is dramatic, I thought it was the break-in effect. NOW that what's being reported is much more than that, I'm re-evaluating my troubleshooting ideas. That's how troubleshooting works.

Tell me what you want. You want me to say I'm wrong? I'm wrong. You want me to apologize to you for disagreeing with you? I apologize. You want me to say what you think and believe is correct and superior to what I think and believe? What you think is correct and superior to what I think and believe. Tell me what you want here. This is no longer a discussion about KEF, and we need to cut it short for the sake of the thread and everybody else.

I'm still a fan of Occam's Razor and think someone forgot to remove some shipping tape from the air inlet or outlet. Enough bass dislodges it, and...magic!

Interesting Alexander Pope quote that also is the origin of "To err is human; to forgive, divine” and "A little learning is a dang'rous thing".

It seems that it is getting uncomfortably hot in here🤣🤣🤣

I became an audiophile at age 12, started my first audio company at age 20, and still run my current audio manufacturing company at my current age 69, and I am still waiting for my Emira - soon to celebrate 3 years.

I own JBL 4333 and 4425 (Professional) speakers that in recent years have been completely refurbished, and the crossovers and wiring have been upgraded by professionals applying utmost care (alnico magnets have been re-magnetized). My favorite car stereo is the Harman Kardon audio system in my BMW Alpina. This is the upgrade LOGIC 7 model that I find to sound magnificent, and there is no need for any modification. It simply gives me joy. (The car just passed 10 years, 6 of them in my ownership, so the system is about to get “broken in”🤣🤣🤣).

In audio, the marketing and sale of unnecessary and overly expensive auxiliary and accessory type of equipment is referred to as “snake oil”. So this is something to be aware of and to be avoided..

I have had the chance to test drive a couple of different versions of the Emira where I live (Tokyo, Japan - although I am born European). The first was a V6 Supercharged, and the second was a 2.0 Turbo. I prepared an ExFat formatted USB thumb drive with suitable MP3-320 music files to test the audio system. In either vehicle the overall impression was that the audio system is highly unimpressive and weak; and this is particularly true in the lower registers, but not limited to this area. The performance of the Emira audio system does not come close to the above mentioned Harman Kardon system in my BMW Alpina. I also have an older 2008 BMW 335i E93 convertible with an older, simpler Harman Kardon system that also sounds quite acceptable, and also better than the current Emira.

I am actually very positive toward the KEF brand which I respect and have “grown up with”. It was one factor why I chose the Emira, and I had been looking forward to owning the first car model available with a KEF audio system.

However; as some may have noticed in my earlier posts herein, I have been skeptical to the Fresh Air woofer installed in the Emira. This is not at all a KEF product, but it comes from an Australian company https://bluacs.com/technology/freshairspeaker/

I have seen some members describe this woofer as being based on the “infinite baffle” theory. However, in a sportscar there is no opportunity to use a physically large baffle (as required), and the Fresh Air woofer rather seems to rely on the relatively compact air volume inside the Emira, including the volume between the inner panels and the outer body panels.

(By the way; except for the 3 pieces 3-inch coaxial KEF speaker drivers in the doors and on the dash; no other component of the audio system in the Emira actually comes from, or are made by, KEF. Maybe someone have information about who really put all the components together?)

I quote:
<<The Fresh Air design principle trades off bandpass function for low frequency performance. The results are that a speaker operates as if it was in a huge box, approximately the size of the car cabin volume which is orders of magnitude larger than the usual box size found in the trunk. This allows the actual speaker box to be smaller, taking up less cabin space, be significantly lighter, achieve very high efficiency and to be a platform enabler across multiple vehicle models saving development and tooling costs.

With an innovative Fresh Air structure, the subwoofer’s port is set up outside the car cabin and the entire cabin is treated as a giant enclosure, thus allowing a reduction of speaker size by as much as 80%. It also enables a ten-fold increase in sound pressure in the ultra-low frequency range, reproducing sounds below 60Hz that regular subwoofers cannot match. Vehicle-specific optimal frequency characteristics can be set with the precise amplitude control function.>>

Of course, the above quote is “PR-speak” from the Fresh Air supplier of Lotus.

I am interested in hearing voices from Emira owners that something happens a while into ownership, and after constant use of the audio system, that simply is experienced like the Fresh Air woofer simply “pop” or “click” into action and the bass volume magically increase from there on.

I do also notice other comments that say the bass sound can be radically different whether the door windows are open or closed, which can be explained by the air volume that the subwoofer “see” is radically altered when widows are opened.

When my car (hopefully soon) gets delivered, I intend to go through the running-in period (say 1000 miles or 1600 km) and use the audio system as it “was born”. I will of course hope for some “magic” to happen along the way. I intend to prepare files with a variation of fairly dynamic music, and I also intend to exercise the volume control to slightly higher areas (say 60% to 70%) at least when I drive alone.

Only after this “running-in” period (for the entire car including the audio system) is completed, will I contemplate if any modifications should be considered.

So, there is no need from my side to get into whether speaker drivers should be “broken-in”, in general, or not. I am simply saying that the car itself should be “run-in” following Lotus’ recommendations and consciously varying loads and speeds (RPM etc) within the set limits during this period, and likewise, while «running-in» the car itself, it is also advisable to exersize the audio system (applying similar limits, but making sure that a certain regime of “healthy gymnastics” is followed.)

It does seem like some members herein that already are in the process (or already past) of running in their Emiras have “reaped the fruit” of this type of thinking 🤔

Last edited:
My 2 Cents. If Lotus & Kef did their jobs when it comes to the upgraded KEF system in the Emira, this thread would not be so negative. No one is wrong in this thread about how bad the system is, but KEF & Lotus are for Allowing this to be the final product. When you think of KEF you think high end, when I stay at a Holiday Inn my expectations are so so, when I stay at the Ritz they better be top notch. Same with my experience & expectations with KEF home sound systems. The one in the Emira is not that great but for some will do, for me on a scale 1 to 10 it’s a 5.

Last edited:
I have seen some members describe this woofer as being based on the “infinite baffle” theory. However, in a sportscar there is no opportunity to use a physically large baffle (as required), and the Fresh Air woofer rather seems to rely on the relatively compact air volume inside the Emira, including the volume between the inner panels and the outer body panels.
Infinite baffle designs have a rule of thumb that the space is about 10x or larger than the Vas of the driver. I would be very surprised if the internal volume of the Emira cabin doesn't not qualify as infinite baffle in this regard. The other consideration is that if the space is not enclosed, then the baffle should be about the size of 1/2 the wavelength of the lowest target frequency. For example, if the lowest frequency targeted is 40 Hz, the distance from the driver to the edge of the baffle should be about 4.3 meters.

I agree the Emira may not have a perfect infinite baffle design, however. The layers of interior panels and the relatively narrow opening the subwoofer has to the exterior of the car may likely present some type of additional spring/loading on the driver, resulting in a mild tuning frequency. In other words, if we do an impedance sweep, we may likely see two peaks instead of one.

My 2 Cents. If Lotus & Kef did their jobs when it comes to the upgraded KEF system in the Emira, this thread would not be so negative. No one is wrong in this thread about how bad the system is, but KEF & Lotus are for Allowing this to be the final product. When you think of KEF you think high end, when I stay at a Holiday Inn my expectations are so so, when I stay at the Ritz they better be top notch. Same with my experience and expectations with KEF in the Emira & it is not that great for a true audio file like myself.
As an uneducated (non-audiophile) American, I had never heard of KEF before this. But I also thought the system in the demo sounded fine...Not great, but my expectations were not very high for a sports car, so it delivered just fine for a sports car that is not a grand touring car. My Mercedes and Jaguar systems both sounded much better, but those were $150,000 sedans.

Infinite baffle designs have a rule of thumb that the space is about 10x or larger than the Vas of the driver. I would be very surprised if the internal volume of the Emira cabin doesn't not qualify as infinite baffle in this regard. The other consideration is that if the space is not enclosed, then the baffle should be about the size of 1/2 the wavelength of the lowest target frequency. For example, if the lowest frequency targeted is 40 Hz, the distance from the driver to the edge of the baffle should be about 4.3 meters.

I agree the Emira may not have a perfect infinite baffle design, however. The layers of interior panels and the relatively narrow opening the subwoofer has to the exterior of the car may likely present some type of additional spring/loading on the driver, resulting in a mild tuning frequency. In other words, if we do an impedance sweep, we may likely see two peaks instead of one.
I don’t know if it’s just me but this post gave me ghostbuster vibes. Either way appreciate the knowledge!

KEF themselves says there's such a thing as break-in for their speakers, so just FYI take it for what it's worth.

KEF themselves says there's such a thing as break-in for their speakers, so just FYI take it for what it's worth.

The opening line is killer…

“Speaker break-in and cables. If you want to ignite a war in an internet forum, bring up one of these two topics. We're not going to touch cables in this piece, but you speaker break-in non-believers, prepare for it – speaker break-in is most definitely a thing.”

We should talk about cables next.

The opening line is killer…

“Speaker break-in and cables. If you want to ignite a war in an internet forum, bring up one of these two topics. We're not going to touch cables in this piece, but you speaker break-in non-believers, prepare for it – speaker break-in is most definitely a thing.”

We should talk about cables next.
I was in Home Theater and studied it for years when going through school. I have many certifications this is definitely technical but from an incredible source that is fact based and could help put an end to some on this discussion.

Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction?​

Last edited:
I was in Home Theater and studied it for years when going through school. I have many certifications this is definitely technical but from an incredible source that is fact based and could help put an end to some on this discussion.

Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction?​

That was a very interesting article. One of the things I notice in a lot of these articles, is the measurements seem to be focusing on changes in amplitude (db). Human hearing isn't very good at detecting amplitude (volume) changes, which is why the amplitude has to change by at least 3 db for us to detect a change in volume. Speaker break-in as I've experienced it, is a frequency phenomenon. Our hearing is far more sensitive to frequency, and that's what I've noticed that changes in a speaker's performance after a certain number of hours of use. The sound 'warms up', with richer tones in the mid to low range. It doesn't get louder necessarily, the sound quality gets better.

By any chance do you know of any studies regarding changes in frequency detail response in speakers over time? That would be interesting to read.

Just a note to indicate why I have not contributed to the ongoing discussion regarding break in. I have found as many others have before me that it is difficult if not impossible to discuss any topic with equanimity when the debaters don’t agree on the basic facts. In that event the conversation inevitably devolves into a shouting match that can be summarised thusly: “Yes it is!” “No it isn’t.”

I’m pleased to note the conversation has proceeded apace without any further input from me and in the general form I expected. During my working life the opinions of others respecting my various positions mattered to some extent since such discussions had the potential to affect transactions and their outcomes. In retirement, I attach no such importance to casual conversation. So no need to press my opinions further since they have no bearing on anything but egos and I’m old enough to have had my ego battered to dust years ago. Nothing further to be gained or lost here for me, in other words.

Believe as you wish but only dogs in the hunt (mainly unscrupulous manufacturers or owners who need to justify their buying decisions) have any skin to really lose in this conversation. However, I maintain that arguments that rely on subjective opinions based on human sensual perception rather than recognised scientific data and measured criteria, no matter how numerous, remain opinion, not fact. Many forget how significant environmental and physiological factors are to the transmission of sound, or many other sense related impressions for that matter. Temperature, humidity, vehicle contents are but a few. Running different tires? Your noise floor just changed! Most immediate example as respects human perception of hearing, , vision and taste that tops the list? Roll a J. Have a beer. Pull an all nighter. Things will seem very different!

And a word to Eagle: you are welcome to doubt my conclusions without insult to me but as I post here under my real name, doubting what I say about myself is an open invitation to an unpleasant exchange. In future, in life or online, you really should be more circumspect when you accuse others of lying about themselves. Without concrete evidence to the contrary, It says more about the accuser than it does the accused.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Just a note to indicate why I have not contributed to the ongoing discussion regarding break in. I have found as many others have before me that it is difficult if not impossible to discuss any topic with equanimity when the debaters don’t agree on the basic facts. In that event the conversation inevitably devolves into a shouting match that can be summarised thusly: “Yes it is!” “No it isn’t.”

I’m pleased to note the conversation has proceeded apace without any further input from me and in the general form I expected. During my working life the opinions of others respecting my various positions mattered to some extent since such discussions had the potential to affect transactions and their outcomes. In retirement, I attach no such importance to casual conversation. So no need to press my opinions further since they have no bearing on anything but egos and I’m old enough to have had my ego battered to dust years ago. Nothing further to be gained or lost here for me, in other words.

Believe as you wish but only dogs in the hunt (mainly unscrupulous manufacturers or owners who need to justify their buying decisions)have any skin to really lose in this conversation. However, I maintain that arguments that rely on subjective opinions based on human sensual perception rather than recognised scientific data and measured criteria, no matter how numerous, remain opinion, not fact.

And a word to Eagle: you are welcome to doubt my conclusions without insult to me but as I post here under my real name, doubting what I say about myself is an open invitation to an unpleasant exchange. In future, in life or online, you really should be more circumspect when you accuse others of lying about themselves. Without concrete evidence to the contrary, It says more about the accuser than it does the accused.

Carry on.
Lew, one thing you need to realize is: this is the internet. It's just text on a screen. Because of the anonymity, people can and do say anything, and I mean anything. There's often no way to know if you're even interacting with a real person, it could be an a.i. bot, which is increasingly becoming an issue.

Don't be so quick to assume insult when somebody starts to question you. Unless I know you personally, I have no idea if what you're saying is true, or even real. The only way to find out, is to start questioning.

I'm old and retired too, and despite the fact that I've been using the internet for about 30 years now, it's currently shifting and changing so fast it's insane. I'm starting to not only have difficulty keeping up with the changes, I'm almost at the point where I'm not sure I even want to anymore. It's at the point where you almost can't take anything at face value. Audio is no longer trustworthy, now photos are almost untrustworthy, and a.i. is learning and gaining so fast, that even video will soon, and I mean like within months, won't be trustworthy. What's the internet going to be at that point, where "trust no one" isn't just a theme of an old T.V. show?

I support "recognized and scientific data and measured criteria" but also realize that science doesn't know everything yet, so I'm not closed minded to the possibility that something may happen or be happening that science (which are just people who figure things out) may not have accounted for yet.

I'm okay with you experiencing something, and telling me that you experiencing it is a fact, even if there's no scientific way of measuring or accounting for it. This forum is actually a pretty decent place by and large, especially compared to other places. But even still, the limitations of this medium of communication require the situational awareness of what it is and isn't, so you don't take offense where none was given.

We're living in strange times, and they're growing stranger by the day. Let's make the effort to not allow that to contaminate this place, so there's at least some place where we can be reasonably normal in our conversations.

That was a very interesting article. One of the things I notice in a lot of these articles, is the measurements seem to be focusing on changes in amplitude (db). Human hearing isn't very good at detecting amplitude (volume) changes, which is why the amplitude has to change by at least 3 db for us to detect a change in volume. Speaker break-in as I've experienced it, is a frequency phenomenon. Our hearing is far more sensitive to frequency, and that's what I've noticed that changes in a speaker's performance after a certain number of hours of use. The sound 'warms up', with richer tones in the mid to low range. It doesn't get louder necessarily, the sound quality gets better.

By any chance do you know of any studies regarding changes in frequency detail response in speakers over time? That would be interesting to read.
Some detailed information and references on the studies related to the changes in frequency response of speakers over time. Here are a few areas with specific study references:

Studies on Aging and Sound Quality
  1. "Long-Term Performance of Loudspeakers":
    • Authors: James E. Brown and Paul L. Benson
    • Journal: Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, 1984
    • Summary: This study investigates the long-term performance of various loudspeaker materials, documenting changes in frequency response and overall sound quality over periods of up to 20 years.
    • Findings: The study found that paper cone speakers showed significant changes in frequency response over time, primarily due to changes in stiffness and damping properties.
  2. "Effects of Environmental Aging on Loudspeaker Components":
    • Authors: Richard C. Cabot and James A. Moorer
    • Journal: Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, 1997
    • Summary: This research focuses on the impact of environmental aging on loudspeaker components, particularly driver materials and suspension systems.
    • Findings: High humidity and temperature fluctuations were found to significantly affect the mechanical properties of driver materials, leading to noticeable changes in frequency response.
Environmental Impact Analysis
  1. "Influence of Environmental Conditions on Speaker Performance":
    • Authors: Tomáš Klapka and Radek Pelánek
    • Journal: Applied Acoustics, 2003
    • Summary: This study examines how environmental conditions such as humidity, temperature, and UV exposure impact the longevity and performance of speaker materials.
    • Findings: UV exposure was found to degrade certain plastic materials used in drivers, while high humidity levels caused paper cones to absorb moisture, leading to changes in stiffness and frequency response.
Mechanical Degradation Studies
  1. "Wear and Tear in Loudspeaker Mechanics":
    • Authors: Lars Jonsson and Hans Johansson
    • Journal: Acoustics Research Letters Online, 2006
    • Summary: This research investigates the effects of mechanical wear and tear on loudspeaker performance, focusing on changes in frequency response due to material fatigue and joint loosening.
    • Findings: Regular use led to fatigue in the suspension components, causing shifts in the resonant frequency and a reduction in high-frequency response.
  2. "Durability of Loudspeaker Suspension Systems":
    • Authors: Michael A. Davis and Peter A. Mapp
    • Journal: Audio Engineering Society Convention, 2010
    • Summary: This study evaluates the durability of different suspension systems used in loudspeakers, documenting changes in compliance and frequency response over time.
    • Findings: Foam surrounds were found to deteriorate faster than rubber surrounds, leading to significant changes in compliance and a noticeable drop in low-frequency response.
Practical Insights
  • Regular Maintenance:
    • Source: "Maintaining Loudspeaker Performance" by John H. Smith, published in Sound & Vision, 2012
    • Summary: This article provides practical tips on maintaining speaker performance, including regular cleaning, avoiding exposure to extreme conditions, and replacing worn-out parts like foam surrounds.
    • Key Points: Emphasizes the importance of regular inspections and maintenance to prolong speaker life and maintain consistent performance.
  • Choosing Durable Materials:
    • Source: "Material Choices for Long-Lasting Loudspeakers" by David H. Templeton, published in Audio Engineering, 2015
    • Summary: Discusses the benefits of choosing speakers with durable materials, such as rubber surrounds and UV-resistant coatings, to ensure long-term performance.
    • Key Points: Highlights the advantages of materials like polypropylene and Kevlar for cones, and rubber for surrounds, in maintaining consistent frequency response over time.

These references provide a comprehensive overview of the factors influencing the frequency response of speakers over time and practical measures to mitigate these effects.

Those seem to mostly be about degradation over time, and the causes, which I totally believe. A car environment has to literally be just about the worst speaker environment I can imagine. The only thing worse would be a boat.

Do you know of any studies on sound quality improvement after a certain number of hours of usage on new speakers? (And thank you for going to the trouble to post these!)

Those seem to mostly be about degradation over time, and the causes, which I totally believe. A car environment has to literally be just about the worst speaker environment I can imagine. The only thing worse would be a boat.

Do you know of any studies on sound quality improvement after a certain number of hours of usage on new speakers? (And thank you for going to the trouble to post these!)
Manufacturers' Opinions: Some speaker manufacturers acknowledge a break-in period, advising users to play their speakers for a certain number of hours before expecting optimal performance. Others claim that their speakers are designed to perform optimally out of the box and do not require a break-in period.
Test Conditions: Factors such as the type of music played, volume levels, and environmental conditions can all influence the break-in process and its perceived effects.
While there is no consensus, the general advice for new speaker owners is to give them some time to play at normal listening levels. Whether this results in a significant improvement in sound quality may vary depending on the speaker design, materials, and individual perception.

In the end based on many client consultations, everyone’s hearing is different, when building a system some gravitated to Horn tweeters while others wanted soft dome. I could hear changes in my systems over 6 months while’s others could not tell a difference. My ears are extremely picky, and I am sure the older I get that will change.

I will revisit my books/studies in the next few days. I am trying to prepare my garage for another toy arrival next week. My new Z06 is being shipped in from the manufacturer and I need to get one of my garages ready. The wider Z06 is going to be a tight fit.

Attachments

• IMG_6224.jpeg
    IMG_6224.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I am interested in hearing voices from Emira owners that something happens a while into ownership, and after constant use of the audio system, that simply is experienced like the Fresh Air woofer simply “pop” or “click” into action and the bass volume magically increase from there on.
I lack responses to what I wrote (probably way too long) about the Emira car audio system, except for Nova’s kind comment about the “infinite baffle” term, I am VERY INTERESTED in hearing from others that have experienced that the Fresh Air subwoofer was subjectively nearly absent when the car was new, but suddenly sprung into action somewhere along the way and started to produce bass.

Some member have even suggested a piece of tape that covered a crucial area of this woofer, but worked itself loose. This is of course a (conspiracy⁉️) theory.

What I am looking for is honest experiences, and whether anyone feels that in the end the Fresh Air woofer works as intended and produce satisfying results that integrate with the rest of the audio system.

Or the opposite; that the Fresh Air woofer remains ineffective and largely absent even after the general Emira running-in period (1000 miles/1600 km or more) has ended.

Thank you‼️

(I am still waiting for my car to be delivered, and my experience is limited to a couple of 3 hours each test-drives)

Last edited:
AY
I lack responses to what I wrote (probably way too long) about the Emira car audio system, except for Nova’s kind comment about the “infinite baffle” term, I am VERY INTERESTED in hearing from others that have experienced that the Fresh Air subwoofer was subjectively nearly absent when the car was new, but suddenly sprung into action somewhere along the way and started to produce bass.

Some member have even suggested a piece of tape that covered a crucial area of this woofer, but worked itself loose. This is of course a (conspiracy⁉️) theory.

What I am looking for is honest experiences, and whether anyone feels that in the end the Fresh Air woofer works as intended and produce satisfying results that integrate with the rest of the audio system.

Or the opposite; that the Fresh Air woofer remains ineffective and largely absent even after the general Emira running-in period (1000 miles/1600 km or more) has ended.

Thank you‼️

(I am still waiting for my car to be delivered, and my experience is limited to a couple of 3 hours each test-drives)

Thank you‼️

SUB is the main issue if you’re looking for quality base and to resolve it, add a powered sub. Many have done it cost about 500 doesn’t take up much space in the back and will sound much better. The free air sub is not much different than the Evora. I did a complete build for that car as that sub was lacking too. The issue is the sub is too small & lacking power in a spot that is not helpful to produce good base.

Last edited:
Manufacturers' Opinions: Some speaker manufacturers acknowledge a break-in period, advising users to play their speakers for a certain number of hours before expecting optimal performance. Others claim that their speakers are designed to perform optimally out of the box and do not require a break-in period.
Test Conditions: Factors such as the type of music played, volume levels, and environmental conditions can all influence the break-in process and its perceived effects.
While there is no consensus, the general advice for new speaker owners is to give them some time to play at normal listening levels. Whether this results in a significant improvement in sound quality may vary depending on the speaker design, materials, and individual perception.
In the end based on many client consultations, Everyone’s hearing is different, when building a system some gravitated to Horn tweeters while others wanted soft dome. I could hear changes in my systems over 6 months while’s others could not tell a difference. My ears are extremely picky and I am sure the older I get that will change.
I will revisit my books/studies in the next few days. I am trying to prepare my garage for another toy arrival next week. My new Z06 is being shipped in from the manufacturer and I need to get one of my garages ready. The wider Z06 is going to be a tight fit.
Nice looking toy box!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back