oh FFS !! (v6 vs i4 debate in my head)

I think it comes down to what you want the car for - both the intended use and how you want it to make you feel.

I'm lucky that my commute isn't by car, so every mile in my Lotus is for pleasure. I'm not overly bothered (but know others are) about the differences in purchase price, VED rate, emissions, mpg, service costs between the V6 and i4. I've driven the V6 IPS and other DCT cars and they're fun in their own way. But I prefer a manual for my fun cars, it's part of the experience of driving them. So too is the noise. I can't remember the last time I had the radio on in the Evora - I've usually got the windows open listening to the exhaust.

If your Emira is going to be a daily driver or track car then your needs will be different. Same if you have budget or running cost concerns.

Buy the one that will make you yearn to get out and drive it.
Right Tom... and that's what's pulling me towards V6.... mine won't be a daily.... I do worry about Mpg, but from extensive research and a bit of man maths, the v6 will probably be 4 or 5mpg different to the i4 on average, so over 6k miles - £400 odd per year - v6 might actually be cheaper to service !

So too is the noise. I can't remember the last time I had the radio on in the Evora - I've usually got the windows open listening to the exhaust.

This is why these options choices are sooooo individual. I never drive without the radio on regardless of what car I am driving. Windows down, radio on. Only for a few minutes every now and then will I turn the radio off to hear the engine/exhaust noise only.

I used to listen to talk radio on my commute to work and back, but nowadays it's like 90% advertising, so I don't listen to it much anymore. I might listen to music on a long trip, but if I'm out driving for fun, I'm like Tom; I want to hear the car.

I am so badly torn on this issue as well... I want to love the i4, and it is what I've ordered, but sound really is a big part of the driving experience for me. That said, I vividly recall having an absolute hoot tracking an F430 with paddles and thinking paddles would be a must on my mid-life crisis mobile down the track.

When I placed my Emira order, I wasn't really driving a lot, as we were all still very much in work-from-home mode, and so I think I managed to be more head-over-heart. Now that I'm out and about a bit more these days in my current vehicle, while it isn't anything hugely special, it does have a V6 with an aftermarket exhaust and a lairy tune... and I have to admit that the gurgle of the vee always makes me smile :)

I'm going to try to hold out until I can hear an i4 in real life, and make a firm decision then... but I am definitely getting toey about it.

This is why these options choices are sooooo individual. I never drive without the radio on regardless of what car I am driving. Windows down, radio on. Only for a few minutes every now and then will I turn the radio off to hear the engine/exhaust noise only.
I’ve had my Elise for 21 years, the only time I’ve used the radio is while working on it in the garage! :D

I’ve had my Elise for 21 years, the only time I’ve used the radio is while working on it in the garage! :D

But to clarify, when I say radio, I mean music from my playlist, not the radio dial. :D

I test drove the Alpine DCT, the highest power model. It is a light and compact car. Agile and responsive. But it was ho hum because I yearned for a six noise, creamy power and mid range drive. I didn't buy one......I ordered the Emira V6. Then BMW gave me a turbo 4 and it went like the clappers, truly shocked me with the strong performance. But when I returned home in my straight 6 ,5 Series, had a content smile on my face.

Get the V6 with manual. It has a limited run, and a V6 with manual will have no trouble being sold in 2 or 3 years. Then you can get the i4, which by that time will have any issues ironed out if there are any, and maybe even have a higher performance version. It's also going to take a year or two after production for aftermarket go-fast stuff to start showing up for the i4, so by the time you get one there might be more choices in that area.

There's also the possibility that you may decide to keep the V6. There's going to be plenty of i4's with DCT, as that's all they're going to make, and they'll be making them until 2030. V6 production ends in 2026.
You know, I kind of dismissed this out of hand on first read yesterday (no offence, Eagle! :) ) ... but I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking. Curse you.

For me, it’s mainly a weekend car and the odd summer use for commuting to the. Scottish Highlands. The key use though will be touring on longer road trips, so refinement (enough to keep Mrs happy) and reasonable economy on longer journeys will be important to me. What’s the expected touring mpg (uk) for the v6?

FE i4 vs BE V6? Will decide once reviews are out - both will be similarly priced.

Reactions: ADC
OK.. I swapped to a V6 - delivery in October - only change I had to make was the steering wheel, where I had specced the yellow band. Went with my heart in the end....

OK.. I swapped to a V6 - delivery in October - only change I had to make was the steering wheel, where I had specced the yellow band. Went with my heart in the end....
wow…. Congrats on the decision! Oct delivery, that means you didn’t drop places in the queue?

That's good, I thought if you changed the engine, you would of had to wait till next year. When was the i4 coming ? December 2022 ?

wow…. Congrats on the decision! Oct delivery, that means you didn’t drop places in the queue?
I was 9am 9th July - so I think I would have been Sept delivery originally.. so October isn't too bad seeing that I dallied for a while and I am ok with that

That's good, I thought if you changed the engine, you would of had to wait till next year. When was the i4 coming ? December 2022 ?
My i4 email was 'early 2023' - I think as they are just planning the q4 production I got to keep my place in the queue - lucky timing I guess

Happy that you're happy. And surprised you've managed to get an FE and Oct delivery, that's great news. I'd expected they'd bump you into 2023 and Base Edition for changing engine after all the 2022 UK V6 FEs appeared to have been allocated already.

Happy that you're happy. And surprised you've managed to get an FE and Oct delivery, that's great news. I'd expected they'd bump you into 2023 and Base Edition for changing engine after all the 2022 UK V6 FEs appeared to have been allocated already.
Thanks Tom…. And yes, I was surprised and that also helped the decision. They did say if I switch back to i4 I would be bumped down the queue. Maybe I was lucky and got a cancelled slot in October.

I know.... that video is not helping me..... The original Harry video where he passengers in the dev car - the test driver says the i4 sounds really good - but with a ppf will it ever be able to.........
Ive heard conversations in libraries louder than that... haha. its awful, but yes I am sure Lotus will sound better, but again, how on earth can they not have released some sound clips by now.... Perhaps not wanting to take sales away from V6, which they didnt think would sell so well. but it has.. .so move on.

You know, I kind of dismissed this out of hand on first read yesterday (no offence, Eagle! :) ) ... but I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking. Curse you.

I believe I am like a lot of people who are understanding the ICE age may be ending and they are trying to determine what new cars they want to finish with. Therefore, these last purchases are likely cars to be well kept. Saying that, I too would love a V6 to baby and then get an I4 to just trash at the track. Now the question becomes which engine is better suited to track abuse. This of course is hypothetical cause I don't have the money for this but since I got another 1 to 3 years to wait, might as well consider all options sensible and non-sensible.

I believe I am like a lot of people who are understanding the ICE age may be ending and they are trying to determine what new cars they want to finish with. Therefore, these last purchases are likely cars to be well kept. Saying that, I too would love a V6 to baby and then get an I4 to just trash at the track. Now the question becomes which engine is better suited to track abuse. This of course is hypothetical cause I don't have the money for this but since I got another 1 to 3 years to wait, might as well consider all options sensible and non-sensible.
I wonder how many “regular folks” will actually own 2 FEs. Like not the reviewer guys or famous car people but like normal commoners.

I’d love to fill a couple stalls with FEs.

If we had a 4 car I’d try to make it happen. i4 for a daily and the V6 manual for more fun around town…

I think… hahaha

Incredible to consider there may be a handful of folks who have that difficult decision to make each day. :)

#ForTheDecisions

If it was one for the road and one for track I’d get an Emira V6 and an Exige.

The Emira will be very capable on track and possibly quicker than an entry-level Exige. But there’s something special about the stripped back “small platform” cars on track.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back