• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

oh FFS !! (v6 vs i4 debate in my head)

I know I won't get an answer here, as there will be mixed opinions, but maybe writing this down will help..

I have been i4 from day one... cheaper, lower running costs, DCT, newer design engine, lighter etc etc

Then Shmee gets a V6 and I start listening to the v6, the more videos of any v6 Emira (VP 007 etc and the Melbourne car) - now I am thinking - . I then listen to a video of me and my son test driving an Evora 400 - and his giggle as the v6 blare comes on song......

so.. now I am thinking - will I regret not getting the v6, last ICE car etc - the emotional connection with the noise it makes.

I am not a massive fan of the gearbox in the Evora (the change wasn't great) - but supposedly Lotus have made it much better in the Emira. The Manual vs DCT discussion is a relevant one, but right now in my head, I will likely regret not having the v6 noise more than the DCT gearbox....

Opinions are welcome of course.......

I was totally 4cyl/dct. And then I heard the v6 and the (Mercedes version) 4 pot

V6 ever since. Easiest decision thus far. Only if I hear the actual 4pot sound as epic would I consider changing and that’s very unlikely
Had the V6 manual in my 2016 Evora 400 and loved it and sounded superb so i have ordered the V6 manual in the Emira

Quick question! Are the DCT paddles steering mounted or column mounted??

I have tried the 4 cylinder in Porsche and BMW. On paper they make sense. Big power numbers, better fuel economy, etc., but I have always been happier with 2 more cylinders. As a car enthusiast, I have leaned that I need to listen to the heart, not the brain. Cars purchased using the brain have not lasted long in my garage. My wife agrees too - so must be true.

I have tried the 4 cylinder in Porsche and BMW. On paper they make sense. Big power numbers, better fuel economy, etc., but I have always been happier with 2 more cylinders. As a car enthusiast, I have leaned that I need to listen to the heart, not the brain. Cars purchased using the brain have not lasted long in my garage. My wife agrees too - so must be true.
Ironically the best 4cyl 718 ive driven (and I have tried them all) was the base model Boxster on 18 inch wheels.
Had a real purity of feel and i made comparison to a grown up MX5 at the time. Really was a cracking little thing.

Ironically the best 4cyl 718 ive driven (and I have tried them all) was the base model Boxster on 18 inch wheels.
Had a real purity of feel and i made comparison to a grown up MX5 at the time. Really was a cracking little thing.
Fair. My experience was actually in a Macan. Different 4-cyl I believe than the Boxter/Cayman. Although, I have driven the base and GT4 with the 6 cylinder, which were better.

Fair. My experience was actually in a Macan. Different 4-cyl I believe than the Boxter/Cayman. Although, I have driven the base and GT4 with the 6 cylinder, which were better.
Yes sorry don't get me wrong, as an overall emotional package I'd always rather have the 6 cylinders.
I found the base 4cyl car surprising was all

There's just something about the sound of a 6 or 12 cylinder engine that has a special appeal that nothing else does. A 4 or 8 cylinder may have equal or even more power in some cases, but they just don't sound the same.

Unless it’s a flat plane crank V8. OMG they sound sweet.
As is the case with almost everything, there are exceptions for whatever reason. One of the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard was the Alfa Romeo 8c. As a general rule though, the 6's and 12's seem to just have that special something that nothing else quite has. Ferrari V12's always sound so good. Gordon Murray's V12 T-50 sounds fantastic. The twin turbo V6 of the Alfa Romeo QV in race mode sounds wonderful.

As is the case with almost everything, there are exceptions for whatever reason. One of the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard was the Alfa Romeo 8c. As a general rule though, the 6's and 12's seem to just have that special something that nothing else quite has. Ferrari V12's always sound so good. Gordon Murray's V12 T-50 sounds fantastic. The twin turbo V6 of the Alfa Romeo QV in race mode sounds wonderful.
I had a Giulia QV and I agree. The v6 in the new Ferrari 296 GTB sounds incredible too

I love the sounds the 3.6 flat 6 in my 911 makes, but for me the secret sauce is the Audi TT-RS 5 cyl turbo sound.. I have never owned one, but when I hear that sound it brings back childhood memories of Michele Mouton blasting up the (then mostly Unpaved) pikes peak hillclimb.

Well said!

I love the sounds the 3.6 flat 6 in my 911 makes, but for me the secret sauce is the Audi TT-RS 5 cyl turbo sound.. I have never owned one, but when I hear that sound it brings back childhood memories of Michele Mouton blasting up the (then mostly Unpaved) pikes peak hillclimb.

I'm still waiting for the day they put that engine in a 4wd wide body Golf. Unless they do a last hoorah tho I think that time has past... Beautiful sounding engine, especially in 20V Quattro guise

Last edited:
I also liked them very much, however in the newer iterations, there is no sound left at all. It's a shame.