• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

oh FFS !! (v6 vs i4 debate in my head)

If it was one for the road and one for track I’d get an Emira V6 and an Exige.

The Emira will be very capable on track and possibly quicker than an entry-level Exige. But there’s something special about the stripped back “small platform” cars on track.

How dare you assume an Exige will be better on the track than an I4! We don't know that yet unless you are holding back. :cool:

But, from our discussions last year, I am constantly scanning for Exiges and Evoras in the states. Would love to have a dedicated Lotus track car that wouldn't upset me if it got beat up.

Another thing about the V6 hitting the emotion notes is the open gears mechanism…..
But I do like a rapid shifting DCT….. decisions decisions.

Another thing about the V6 hitting the emotion notes is the open gears mechanism…..
But I do like a rapid shifting DCT….. decisions decisions.
this is what helped me make my decision...... emotional v6 vs rapid DCT - had to be the noise... I did a bit more research too... there are a couple of YouTube vids of a45 or cla 45 where if you gun it all the time, it does low 20's mpg, not that much worse than the v6 - the difference will be on long motorway runs late 20's vs mid 30's.
There is also an Autocar test of the CLA 45 where they say that the DCT is a bit jerky in traffic, and compare it to a PDK and say its not as good and gets confused sometimes... this helped me too

I just realized learning about the v6 motor in Wikipedia , that my actual Toyota FJ Cruiser has the 1GR FE motor !

And now waiting for my supercharger v6 emira , that means I could go with the emira to climb dunes also!

I just realized learning about the v6 motor in Wikipedia , that my actual Toyota FJ Cruiser has the 1GR FE motor !

And now waiting for my supercharger v6 emira , that means I could go with the emira to climb dunes also!
Haha. I have the 1GR Fe in my 2017 4Runner.. which is exactly why I ordered an I4!
I love my Toyotas (my wife also drives a 100 series Landcruiser) but the v6 in my 4runner sounds like a broken sewing machine.
Plus the M139 tuning aftermarket will be better in the long run I imagine..

Haha. I have the 1GR Fe in my 2017 4Runner.. which is exactly why I ordered an I4!
I love my Toyotas (my wife also drives a 100 series Landcruiser) but the v6 in my 4runner sounds like a broken sewing machine.
Plus the M139 tuning aftermarket will be better in the long run I imagine..
I’m so split about which engine to choose, but in the end I think I like the one man one engine philosophy and want to latest ICE and transmission tech with option to upgrade BHP In The future. I will settle for AMG I4 FE for today….. 😂 and I am very lazy with changing gears as well as a cheap Skate in burning fuel and paying VED. The best car is the one you can afford to run….

There is also an Autocar test of the CLA 45 where they say that the DCT is a bit jerky in traffic, and compare it to a PDK and say its not as good and gets confused sometimes... this helped me too

One thing to remember here though is that while they're taking the hardware from AMG, Lotus is doing their own calibration work on it across the board. So says Gavin in this clip

There’s a lot of hope for the AMG I4 yet!
ACEBBE06-103C-423A-8F11-F897933DB016.jpeg
8816765C-3D05-4274-8B0A-96CA210DE97A.jpeg

The i4 looks to be the faster, more fun car (well, off the line anyway, with the DCT)

It will end up being a decent track car down the line too, once people have sussed out how to max it.

If Lotus tune it to sound good then it could prompt massive demand and there will be a big shift to DCT away from V6 anyway.

I still expect Lotus to curtail planned run of the V6 - just have this feeling they will put all their eggs into the basket of 4 cyl turbo.

Cue the first Twin turbo conversion!

The i4 looks to be the faster, more fun car (well, off the line anyway, with the DCT)

It will end up being a decent track car down the line too, once people have sussed out how to max it.

If Lotus tune it to sound good then it could prompt massive demand and there will be a big shift to DCT away from V6 anyway.

I still expect Lotus to curtail planned run of the V6 - just have this feeling they will put all their eggs into the basket of 4 cyl turbo.

Cue the first Twin turbo conversion!

How about this tuned A45s for noise!? Head to 4:10 to listen….

Come on Lotus….. give us more i4 details and videos please!!!

There is an A35 AMG local to me so I hear it often. For me it doesn't do anything for me and I don't like the noise it makes when changing gears - sounds like almost any other M/RS/4 cyclinder AMG. For me the howl of the V6 is an evocative experience. I won't be using mine often, so I want the full experience, however we are all different.

There is an A35 AMG local to me so I hear it often. For me it doesn't do anything for me and I don't like the noise it makes when changing gears - sounds like almost any other M/RS/4 cyclinder AMG. For me the howl of the V6 is an evocative experience. I won't be using mine often, so I want the full experience, however we are all different.
EXACTLY! In the same way I will never own a 4 pot Porsche 718 I have zero interest is a 2L i4 turbo motor, regardless who makes it or what exhaust system is attached to it.

My flat 6 Porsche’s all made a glorious sound and that’s as much a part of the magic as it’s ability to turn and stop. While the Toyota V6 isn’t an thoroughbred motor Lotus has sprinkled a bit of pixie dust on it and produced a proper sports car heart. It’s linear power and glorious sound really does seal the deal for me. Had the Emira only been offered with the AMG i4 I don’t know if I’d even be here.

If the only reason you’re selecting it is on paper performance then you should probably wait for the 135. In raw power delivery it will wipe its nose with either Emira power plant. Hell, my Model 3 performance will out accelerate virtually any ICE car on the planet under $300K.

If my autobox V6 is delayed again I will seriously look at my i4 options.

But then again even those options are not guaranteed.

If my autobox V6 is delayed again I will seriously look at my i4 options.

But then again even those options are not guaranteed.
Similar to where I am. I’m a June-now-july-but really-it-will-be-ready-in-August-so-it’ll-get-registered-in-September person. If it gets pushed back any further than 1 Sept then I’d very seriously consider cancelling and then placing a base edition i4 order … for delivery in 2024!

At this stage, I’d be very surprised if there’s any flipping opportunities either. I’m sure there’ll have been a bunch of speculators waiting to flip, in the early depositors, let alone normal dropouts.

Reactions: DJS
If it gets pushed back any further than 1 Sept then I’d very seriously consider cancelling and then placing a base edition i4 order … for delivery in 2024!

At this stage, I’d be very surprised if there’s any flipping opportunities either. I’m sure there’ll have been a bunch of speculators waiting to flip, in the early depositors, let alone normal dropouts.

Lotus have so many orders that I doubt they will lose any sleep over any of this logistically but obviously keen to get cars to customers and start the main income flow.

You are right to think as you do and others will follow. THIS will impact Lotus a little bit.
We can surely all believe they are trying everything then can.

Actually, the car may be coming back into the flippers' hands.
It seems to me that X amount of cars, in certain specs, can be finished and delivered. This leads a LOT of others out there that might be delayed for a while. This is a supply shortage. Those with money, who want a car there and then, might pay a silly price.

Either way, many later people will be fine in that the DSCT i4 is definitely not a consolation - it might well be the 'better' car - though the V6 will remain the 'special one' many years down the line.

EXACTLY! In the same way I will never own a 4 pot Porsche 718 I have zero interest is a 2L i4 turbo motor, regardless who makes it or what exhaust system is attached to it.

My flat 6 Porsche’s all made a glorious sound and that’s as much a part of the magic as it’s ability to turn and stop. While the Toyota V6 isn’t an thoroughbred motor Lotus has sprinkled a bit of pixie dust on it and produced a proper sports car heart. It’s linear power and glorious sound really does seal the deal for me. Had the Emira only been offered with the AMG i4 I don’t know if I’d even be here.

If the only reason you’re selecting it is on paper performance then you should probably wait for the 135. In raw power delivery it will wipe its nose with either Emira power plant. Hell, my Model 3 performance will out accelerate virtually any ICE car on the planet under $300K.
The only 2.0 4cyl I've had that gave any excitement was an EVO 6 TME.
That was 400bhp 20 years ago mind! 20 years...... and the car was completely the sum of its parts and an absolute beast, as you would expect a rally car to be. Here we are in 2023 with a very civilised 365bhp in the last of the ICE Lotuses. In perspective that is a little disappointing to me. Altho I guess I have always been a little more Rally than F1 #forthethrills

Lotus have so many orders that I doubt they will lose any sleep over any of this logistically but obviously keen to get cars to customers and start the main income flow.

You are right to think as you do and others will follow. THIS will impact Lotus a little bit.
We can surely all believe they are trying everything then can.

Actually, the car may be coming back into the flippers' hands.
It seems to me that X amount of cars, in certain specs, can be finished and delivered. This leads a LOT of others out there that might be delayed for a while. This is a supply shortage. Those with money, who want a car there and then, might pay a silly price.

Either way, many later people will be fine in that the DSCT i4 is definitely not a consolation - it might well be the 'better' car - though the V6 will remain the 'special one' many years down the line.
It’ll become a problem if they get too many cancellations or people deferring to i4 or Base.

So far they’ve handled V6 FE cancellations by offering the car to people with “nearly the same” spec, but with no changes possible, for the opportunity to move up the queue. In some cases they’ve had to go 6+ months down the line to find someone who’ll take it.

If cancellations go over 10-15% that approach is going to become much harder. They seem to be avoiding the more obvious approach of moving everyone one space forward and putting the cancelled car’s parts back into inventory. Or handing to dealers as demos.