• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Really wanting to like my Emira

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Taken delivery and owned for a few days. I really love this car because it looks so beautiful and classy. I want to give it time to fix teething problems and hopefully can be a keeper. So far not great impression. I have had many new cars (a lot cheaper cars too). Never with so many issues.

Got a nasty stone chip on the bonnet on my second drive. Lotus don't have any touch up paints available for the Emira. So having to order online using a paint code. Will look into PPF soon. Too late now.

My centre console creaks like mad over bumps near the gear stick and the drivers side door mirror vibrates when I shut the door. Its irritating, I have to turn up the volume to drown it out.

Most importantly on a smooth road, doing 21 to 30 mph (not braking & driving steadily) I can feel my steering wheel pulsating. It's not wheel balancing as the steering wheel doesn't vibrate at speed. I suspect (not 100% sure) the brakes pads are so new that they are rubbing against the ribbed brake discs causing this feeling. Any one had the same problem.

I'm getting a whole list together to take it back to dealer after they receive the updated engine management software.

Are you on Sports suspension with Cup2s? Might explain the very direct steering feedback.

Taken delivery and owned for a few days. I really love this car because it looks so beautiful and classy. I want to give it time to fix teething problems and hopefully can be a keeper. So far not great impression. I have had many new cars (a lot cheaper cars too). Never with so many issues.

Got a nasty stone chip on the bonnet on my second drive. Lotus don't have any touch up paints available for the Emira. So having to order online using a paint code. Will look into PPF soon. Too late now.

My centre console creaks like mad over bumps near the gear stick and the drivers side door mirror vibrates when I shut the door. Its irritating, I have to turn up the volume to drown it out.

Most importantly on a smooth road, doing 21 to 30 mph (not braking & driving steadily) I can feel my steering wheel pulsating. It's not wheel balancing as the steering wheel doesn't vibrate at speed. I suspect (not 100% sure) the brakes pads are so new that they are rubbing against the ribbed brake discs causing this feeling. Any one had the same problem.

I'm getting a whole list together to take it back to dealer after they receive the updated engine management software.

When I got my STI, my first experience with hydraulic steering, I did wonder if something was wrong with the steering. The car was used with 14K miles. After research and talking to others I learned that this pulsating feedback sensation on the steering wheel was normal and part of being able to feel connected to the road. I have now have learned to love this feel and when I get into a non-hydraulic steering rack it feels really sterile. Not bad, but sterile in comparison. Don't know if this applies to your situation but I thought I would share.

Maybe that pulsating is the fact that you can feel the road through the steering wheel as opposed to being removed and isolated from it in 99percent of new cars out there. A reason to be cheerful I would have thought..????
Yes I know the difference between analogue and electric steering from my previous cars. Definitely something not right as you can also hear and feel it not just through the steering wheel but also the in cabin at low speeds 21mph to 30mph and smooth roads.

Yes I know the difference between analogue and electric steering from my previous cars. Definitely something not right as you can also hear and feel it not just through the steering wheel but also the in cabin at low speeds 21mph to 30mph and smooth roads.

Alright, keep us posted.

When I got my STI, my first experience with hydraulic steering, I did wonder if something was wrong with the steering. The car was used with 14K miles. After research and talking to others I learned that this pulsating feedback sensation on the steering wheel was normal and part of being able to feel connected to the road. I have now have learned to love this feel and when I get into a non-hydraulic steering rack it feels really sterile. Not bad, but sterile in comparison. Don't know if this applies to your situation but I thought I would share.
Thank you. Maybe, but I need a second opinion to convince me this is normal. I had previously many years ago a Porsche 987 spyder with analogue steering and there was no feeling like this. However, pretty sure that didn’t have ribbed disc brakes, just drilled.

The brakes should not be rubbing on the rotors enough to cause vibrations - if it does, it would be burning up the pads. Even a slight brake drag would heat the rotors/pads to the point of warping. You would be able to smell it after some time of driving as well. That said, people have noted heavily corroded rotors and disintegrating brake pads. I would get that checked out to see if your car is affected.

A slight vibration within a range of speeds can signify slightly unbalanced wheels/tires. It's not out of balance enough to cause heavy vibration, but enough to feel in a resonant range where its force is accentuated by the springiness of the tire.

Creaking is a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it. Hope they fix all of these issues for you.

The brakes should not be rubbing on the rotors enough to cause vibrations - if it does, it would be burning up the pads. Even a slight brake drag would heat the rotors/pads to the point of warping. You would be able to smell it after some time of driving as well. That said, people have noted heavily corroded rotors and disintegrating brake pads. I would get that checked out to see if your car is affected.

A slight vibration within a range of speeds can signify slightly unbalanced wheels/tires. It's not out of balance enough to cause heavy vibration, but enough to feel in a resonant range where its force is accentuated by the springiness of the tire.

Creaking is a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it. Hope they fix all of these issues for you.
Thank you. Pretty sure it will be amazing. I’m not letting these small issues put me off just yet.

In my experience, dash rattles and creaks are usually better to mitigate yourself with a roll of adhesive weather stripping rather than sending to the dealer. You just need to isolate exactly where it's coming from and insert some foam behind the offending joint/gap. May help to have someone else drive while you probe around and push on things to see what's rattling.

In my experience, dash rattles and creaks are usually better to mitigate yourself with a roll of adhesive weather stripping rather than sending to the dealer. You just need to isolate exactly where it's coming from and insert some foam behind the offending joint/gap. May help to have someone else drive while you probe around and push on things to see what's rattling.
Man, I would have zero desire for performing a bootleg remedy like this. In my mind this is something that the manufacturer — any manufacturer — should be responsible for.

Also, weren't Lotus boasting in their promo videos last year that they have a special rumble strip / vibration track on site at Hethel, specifically designed to help them weed out these kinds of creaks and rattles in the Emira?

Man, I would have zero desire for performing a bootleg remedy like this. In my mind this is something that the manufacturer — any manufacturer — should be responsible for.
Well, sure, in a perfect world. But I'm pretty sure when you take it in, they'll do the exact same diagnosis and treatment, except that you'll be paying $125/hr for a couple of service techs to joyride in your Emira while they reproduce the problem. As with all things, YMMV!

Well that special rumble strip ain’t on mine. Mines on touring suspension and on harsher roads the squeaking is bad. Can’t hold a conversation with my passenger without noticing it.

Known problem with power steering in factory which they have been unable to resolve or find the cause of. Still shipped cars out despite this.

Wonza, other than the issues you’ve mentioned, are you liking the handling and suspension of the Emira when you take it on the highway or when making quick fast turns? Is it as responsive as you thought it would be?