• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Redline

So the confusion here is that Lotus uses the Toyota EA60 gearbox in the Evora and Emira. This gearbox actually has two final drives, one used for gears 1-4 and one used for gear 5-6. I have no clue what the final gear is for each :) anyone know?

Additionally, second in the Evora GT was still right around 75mph according to Komotech.

• Useful
Reactions: DJS
So the confusion here is that Lotus uses the Toyota EA60 gearbox in the Evora and Emira. This gearbox actually has two final drives, one used for gears 1-4 and one used for gear 5-6. I have no clue what the final gear is for each :) anyone know?
Lol so that makes it an 8 gear ratio gearbox? Gears 1-4 + final A = 5 ratios, and gears 5 & 6 + final B = 3 more? The rpms must really drop when you go from 4th to 5th.

There is more to the complete package than hp. My c6z06 was perfectly balanced at 505rwhp from the factory. The most powerful Vette yet and one of the most powerful on the street at the time.
Of course with new cars emerging I fell for the "add more power" thing and eventually bumped it up about 150hp while remaining naturally aspirated. It was definitely faster but no longer as much fun to drive. You couldn't get that power to the ground and were constantly having to modulate the throttle. Add to that issues only your tuner could diagnose. Then when your tuner and/or mechanic leaves town you discover no one else is around with the talent to fix problems. Forget about taking the car to the dealer because they won't touch a modified car.
Sigh, maybe I'm just getting a little wiser in my old age but when I finally get my Emira it's staying stock!

Last edited:
Y’all are missing the point, all high reving engine on other sports cars were design to do just that, perfect example the S2K, for crying out loud, the Emira/Evora have a Camri engine designed to rev low because it wakes up the baby sleeping in the back seat!! 😝🤣

Sigh, maybe I'm just getting a little wiser in my old age but when I finally get my Emira it's staying stock!

Yea f that

Additionally, second in the Evora GT was still right around 75mph according to Komotech.

Found this on their Komo-Tec homepage:

Ratio Standard (Evora 400/410)
Gear Speed km/h at 7200rpm
1: 65,65
2: 121,65
3: 164,79
4: 213,17
5: 279,47
6: 315,21

temp949_1gwASgtfxUEnGO.jpg

Ratio Standard Evora 400/410 (Emira)
Gear Speed km/h at 7200rpm (6800rpm)
1: 65,65 (62 km/h)
2: 121,65 (114,89 km/h)
3: 164,79 (155,64 km/h)
4: 213,17 (201,33 km/h)
5: 279,47 (263,94 km/h)
6: 315,21 (297,70 km/h)

Last edited:
Found this on their Komo-Tec homepage:

Ratio Standard (Evora 400/410)
Gear Speed km/h at 7200rpm
1: 65,65
2: 121,65
3: 164,79
4: 213,17
5: 279,47
6: 315,21

View attachment 9492

Ratio Standard Evora 400/410 (Emira)
Gear Speed km/h at 7200rpm (6800rpm)
1: 65,65 (62 km/h)
2: 121,65 (114,89 km/h)
3: 164,79 (155,64 km/h)
4: 213,17 (201,33 km/h)
5: 279,47 (263,94 km/h)
6: 315,21 (297,70 km/h)

Compare the above to a Cayman GT4 manual (@8000rpm):
1st gear - 84km/h
2nd gear - 137km/h
3rd gear - 195km/h

I have actually driven the Emira in anger at the Hethel track as most of you know. I do think on the track it's a crying shame it is only 6800. I kept bouncing off the redline between third and fourth. The engine is still making good power up top and you want to be in 3rd instead of shifting into 4th right before the chicanes. There is no doubt in my mind that the GT, if they use the V6 6spd will extend back to 7200.

I don't think it needs more power but it does need more revs on a track like Hethel to be honest but on Laguna Seca and Thunderhill in Northern California it will run out of steam before the end of the straight given 6800 so you will be forced to shift into 4th for a couple seconds. At Sonoma you should be fine at the top of fourth at turn 2.

In the canyons and certainly for daily driving, I don't think you will miss the revs since there is plenty of torque that is beautifully tractable all the way through the rev range, unless you are coming from a V10 R8, 911 or Cayman GT* although in those Porsche NA cars, they are gutless in low rpms and need to be revved to feel exciting speaking from previous Porsche ownership.

I have actually driven the Emira in anger at the Hethel track as most of you know. I do think on the track it's a crying shame it is only 6800. I kept bouncing off the redline between third and fourth. The engine is still making good power up top and you want to be in 3rd instead of shifting into 4th right before the chicanes. There is no doubt in my mind that the GT, if they use the V6 6spd will extend back to 7200.

I don't think it needs more power but it does need more revs on a track like Hethel to be honest but on Laguna Seca and Thunderhill in Northern California it will run out of steam before the end of the straight given 6800 so you will be forced to shift into 4th for a couple seconds. At Sonoma you should be fine at the top of fourth at turn 2.

In the canyons and certainly for daily driving, I don't think you will miss the revs since there is plenty of torque that is beautifully tractable all the way through the rev range, unless you are coming from a V10 R8, 911 or Cayman GT* although in those Porsche NA cars, they are gutless in low rpms and need to be revved to feel exciting speaking from previous Porsche ownership.
Pics and write up or it didn't happen. Still waiting for the revelations from you and @Next Decade

Just talked to @nextdecade about this yesterday and we are talking again today. Some background stuff to deal with first. But noted. You will get your cheddar eventually. ;)View attachment 9806View attachment 9807
Is eventually a word that Lotus have allowed you to use? I can imagine the promised forthcoming emails shifting from soon to eventually too. 😀