• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Seatbelts jammed

All 5 Emiras I saw in Spain, manufactured from December to March, including mine have both sides twisted. Also my Evora 2019 has them twisted.
I am fine with it, only that it looks weird, never seen them like that in any other car.
I would suggest if anyone one wants to change them to look normally, to have the dealer do it making sure it is covered under Lotus warranty to avoid any (hopefully not) future claims.

Speaking from a pure test/validation point of view, the correct install will be the one that was tested and passed on the crash test vehicles. If Lotus tested and passed both configurations, then it could be either. If the supplier has evidence that either way works, then again it would be either. Bottom line is a definitive answer is needed from the manufacturer as it’s ultimately their responsibility to test and assemble the cars. My two-pence is that often the buckle can be twisted on the belt in service, so it would be a requirement to have the belt function in either configuration. That and the fact that there is no physical impediment to fitting the belt either way around suggest it does not impact the device to the point where it would fail the certification test. However as I say only the factory can provide a definite answer.

Oh you're just so cute and clever, aren't you? Get a pair and say it: "Eagle7 warned me not to do it". YOU call it "scare-mongering", but that's not what it is. IF in fact there are two different assemblies that are so side specific they're even marked LH and RH, why do you suppose that is? As two of those photos I posted show, you can tell the difference between which car has the correct assembly installed on the designated side, and which car doesn't. Now if it doesn't really matter, then why do you suppose they bothered with building and designating which side an assembly is supposed to go on? When the Owner's Manual itself warns that the seatbelt should not be twisted, why is that?

Now let me ask you, Mr. Superior this: Let's say you who unbolted your seat belt, and removed and reinstalled the blade yourself, get in a collision where in addition to your vehicle taking damage, you and/or a passenger are injured. You make a claim to Lotus and your insurance company, and the legal departments find out you did this to your car. Would they claim "It's fine, we're going to cover all the costs for the damage anyways", or would they say "He made an unauthorized modification to a safety system so as a result, we're not liable for any of the damages." Which do you think they would say?
I really can’t be bothered getting into an argument with someone who is at least 3000 miles away from a production car as opposed to someone who is sitting in one.

Cute, clever and superior. I’ll take that.

Have a nice day.

I really can’t be bothered getting into an argument with someone who is at least 3000 miles away from a production car as opposed to someone who is sitting in one.

Cute, clever and superior. I’ll take that.

Have a nice day.
Ah, so you don't have an argument! Thank you for at least admitting that. You have a VERY nice day too! :D

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back