• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Seats too high

RyanGphoto

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I guess I am used to my other cars seating, which I feel I am MUCH lower in the car with those other cars in the past. I feel like the seats are too high in the Emira. I would love to be lower (I lowered the seats as much as they will go).. but I feel like the back window would be much more usable if I was lower in the car... same with the passenger window looking out it, I feel like I am too high..

Any one else feel this? Is there any way to lower the seats even more?

Thanks
Ryan G

Hi Ryan
You will find lots of owners find the seats are too high and as yet no one has a solution for lowering the oem seats with some custom runners.
You have 2 choices if you are willing to do something. Either go for lightweight bucket seats like the Tillett ones you will find on here:
or find someone who can supply runners for something like the Sparco Carbon recliners.:

The Tillett race seats are available from Greg’s Racing Parts who is a sponsor on here. At some point I’m going to test them out to see if they are comfortable for me or go gor the SPX. I hope the Tillett ones are good because they are super light, low and I like to support the companies that support the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.. I have a really bad back and neck and I need all the support and cushion I can get.. I doubt those race seats would work for my condition..
I will be on the look out for any options that come up, thanks for the links.. I will be sure to look into those..

Thanks
Ryan G

Thanks for that.. I have a really bad back and neck and I need all the support and cushion I can get.. I doubt those race seats would work for my condition..
I will be on the look out for any options that come up, thanks for the links.. I will be sure to look into those..

Thanks
Ryan G
It must be hard getting in and out if your back is playing up. I remember going from an RS3 to the Emira with a bad arm, I almost fell out until I learnt the best technique. 😝

Thanks
Ryan G
Out of curiosity, wouldn't a higher position be better for someone with a bad back? I alternative between a large SUV and the Emira so I find it plenty low for me. That said, I did notice the Emira being on the more practical side in terms of greenhouse space and ride height.

Agree with this for getting in and out of the car, but I set the memory seat to max height and as far back as it will go so I can easily get in and out and then memory seat 1 for how I like to sit. Makes it way easier to get in and out.

Thanks
Ryan G
My seats are better for a bad back, not worse. I was getting a bad back after two hours with the standard seats. I drove to Spa last weekend and my 55 kg daughter was next to me. The seats were perfect for both of us.
The B10 has zero pressure points, so you hardly feel the seat and with no squashy foam they hold all the vertebrae in position. If these bones do not move they don't hurt. We always have an initial reaction where people make comfort assumptions based on looks but when people sit it them they always change their opinion.

My seats are better for a bad back, not worse. I was getting a bad back after two hours with the standard seats. I drove to Spa last weekend and my 55 kg daughter was next to me. The seats were perfect for both of us.
The B10 has zero pressure points, so you hardly feel the seat and with no squashy foam they hold all the vertebrae in position. If these bones do not move they don't hurt. We always have an initial reaction where people make comfort assumptions based on looks but when people sit it them they always change their opinion.
I DEFINITELY made that assumption that if it was just a solid piece of (whatever it is), plastic, etc.. then it would be HARD and therefore NOT comfortable.

Do you make them with pads? I did see you now have sourced the leather from Lotus. Any chance you have an example in Ice Grey leather? I love that color on my car and wouldn't want any other color even if the seat is amazing...

Also I would want the one the folds so I can get at the back shelf, but that's a different problem.

Thank you so much for letting me know about your seat.. It's nice to have it direct from the source.

Ryan G

I DEFINITELY made that assumption that if it was just a solid piece of (whatever it is), plastic, etc.. then it would be HARD and therefore NOT comfortable.

Do you make them with pads? I did see you now have sourced the leather from Lotus. Any chance you have an example in Ice Grey leather? I love that color on my car and wouldn't want any other color even if the seat is amazing...

Also I would want the one the folds so I can get at the back shelf, but that's a different problem.

Thank you so much for letting me know about your seat.. It's nice to have it direct from the source.

Ryan G
The last time I checked it was not available. I worked hard to get permission to buy the leather and when I finally got the OK from Lotus Bridge of Weir said tan was the only colour in stock as Lotus hadn't ordered any more.
I can ask again.
I have white leather but you know what shades are like when they are side by side.

Ryan G
Sorry I forgot to answer the fold forward question.
They don't fold forward of course. But they are on a manually operated runners. So you can still get your bags in the back.
I went away just last week and would say that inconvenience is a small price to pay for the feel, rigidity, support and dare I say comfort.
All up it is also 30 kgs saved and a much lower driving position if you want it.

Attachments

• Emira Package -2024.pdf
    592.7 KB · Views: 50
Sorry I forgot to answer the fold forward question.
They don't fold forward of course. But they are on a manually operated runners. So you can still get your bags in the back.
I went away just last week and would say that inconvenience is a small price to pay for the feel, rigidity, support and dare I say comfort.
All up it is also 30 kgs saved and a much lower driving position if you want it.
The primary reason for new seats is how high I sit actually. I really wanted to be MUCH lower in the car. I am guessing with the manual rails there is only 1 height then...

Can you tell me how much lower your seats are then the stock seat at its lowest setting? If you have that info.

Thanks
Ryan G

The primary reason for new seats is how high I sit actually. I really wanted to be MUCH lower in the car. I am guessing with the manual rails there is only 1 height then...

Can you tell me how much lower your seats are then the stock seat at its lowest setting? If you have that info.

Thanks
Ryan G
No, with our seat and runner kit you have numerous adjustments in height and angle, anywhere from slightly higher than the the lowest setting on the OEM seat to a head height 4 inches lower than the stock seat can manage.

But, it's not "live adjustable". It's set with the intended driver, sliders front-to-back will accommodate some other drivers, but anything height or tilt is not trivial to adjust.

But, it's not "live adjustable". It's set with the intended driver, sliders front-to-back will accommodate some other drivers, but anything height or tilt is not trivial to adjust.
Oh sorry, no you have to unbolt it to reset the height. My 5 ft 5 daughter drives it without resetting it though. it's not like it's undrivable for a shorter driver. Also there is more front to back adjustment with the runners than the electric motorised ones provide.
You would not normally have an issue with tilt when the steering adjusts so well. The seat is designed to work at an angle that 90% of drivers would not need to change.

@Steve Tillett but could you make an angled runner? So that pulling it further forward also raises it slightly?

@Steve Tillett but could you make an angled runner? So that pulling it further forward also raises it slightly?
At the front of the seat under the runner is a 1 cm thick metal spacer. By adding a bigger steel spacer, or an additional one, you could lift this runner angle and re adjust the seat angle on the brackets. The ally seat belt receptor fixing spacer that comes in this kit would do the job but you would need to order a couple extra per seat.

Attachments

• Emira B10 XL 2.jpg
    Emira B10 XL 2.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 53
But then it would be tipped backwards unless you countered it with another spacer in the back.

There should be a way to make runners that slide forward at an incline without changing the seat angle.

The overstuffed feeling seat and high seating position is hands down the worst thing about the car for me.

But then it would be tipped backwards unless you countered it with another spacer in the back.

There should be a way to make runners that slide forward at an incline without changing the seat angle.
You would just lower the front on the brackets by one hole to compensate for the increased angle on the runners. The only downside would be a tendency for it to shoot back a bit quick.

Attachments

• Picture of Emira Bracket set SOP.jpg
    Picture of Emira Bracket set SOP.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 18