• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Stock Emira Wheels and Tires

^^ This, which converts to 77 ft lbs of torque which seems a bit low to me, but that's what the manual calls for.
YIKES, OH SH#T! I torqued mine to 105 ft lbs. It didn’t seem high since that’s what Porsche and BMW use. Is there a way to check for damaged threads? Will there be damage? I’m 36% over the spec.

YIKES, OH SH#T! I torqued mine to 105 ft lbs. It didn’t seem high since that’s what Porsche and BMW use. Is there a way to check for damaged threads? Will there be damage? I’m 36% over the spec.
It's fine, don't stress. Just retorque when convenient. Not an emergency. You're well within the "OK" zone for an M12 x 1.5 lug bolt.

Yeah if you're not noticing, it's 105 NM which is Newton Meters, not foot pounds. That actually converts to 77.44 ft lbs so you could just say 78 and be fine. I've always torqued aluminum wheels to 90 ft lbs, but if Lotus says their wheels are good with 78, then that's what it is. I have a digital torque wrench that can display ft lbs or NM, so I used 105 NM.

Shouldn't be any damage. Just back them off one at a time, then re-torque to 78 using the star pattern (go across from one to another, not clockwise or counter-clockwise).

Regarding longer wheel fittings for cars with spacers, wouldn’t it be better the fit these:

Surely the nut fitting with the taper could be held in place and the torque set tightened up the bolt part, or am I missing something?

I’m just referring back to comments where the paint could be damaged using the standard type if they don’t have that facial part that stays still to save the paint getting damages.

Back