• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

TOP GEAR Review ?...... Total specualtion

Rehashed here a few times, modified, reworked, re-engineered, rejigged….choose your poison.

Optimistic perspective - It’s effectively an all-new chassis based on similar design principles as the Evora but is so different it drives and feels like a different chassis all together.

Pessimistic perspective - it’s the Evora chassis with a few modifications for a wider track and to make incremental improvements identified over the life of the Evora

Given the size of the Lotus team, the number of cars in the works, their push towards their electrified future and other budget conscious choices like The engine and transmission carry over, redundant rear seats…I’d posit the latter.
Its a real Joke.... we are supposed to love the brand, Looking forward to the NEW Emira...... but plenty seem to want to pull down what it is.

:mad:

Yes I think he will compare it to a gts 4.0ltr and m2 comp.
To get GTS 4.0L the same spec..... you looking at over 80K, and still not double wish bone susspenion, to get that you going GT4.

BMW M2 comp.....its a hot hatch.... not a sports car...... apple or orange ......both fruit, not the same

Yes but that's the type of car the motoring press will compare it with and I think round a track all manual transmission the emira takes it!!!

To get GTS 4.0L the same spec..... you looking at over 80K, and still not double wish bone susspenion, to get that you going GT4.

BMW M2 comp.....its a hot hatch.... not a sports car...... apple or orange ......both fruit, not the same
Even a GT4 does not have double wishbone in the front.

Usually Chris Harris reviews are more technical and super detailed so they are over my expertise for the most part. I don't know what a differential is supposed to feel like drifting out of a corner. But I do understand a lot of people do have that expertise.

Anyway, for this car I think it will fun to hear how he think it handles. Specifically as it relates to Evoras. I hope he does some comparison to Evoras as there are endless videos stating that Evoras are some of the best handling cars in the world regardless of price. I am not cross shopping it so comparisons to M2s, C8s, GT4s don't matter to me.

I do hope he spends time comparing each driving mode.

It's going to be very difficult to compare power if it's pouring down rain, but I think he'll praise the interior; it's quality, roominess, and modern look. He'll talk about the noise and how good the manual shifter is. He'll also praise the stability and handling, perhaps even be able to get it fast enough to experience the improved downforce and overall balance. He'll say something to the effect of going in thinking it was just a reskinned Evora, but realizes it's not, and now wants another go at it when it's not raining so he can compare the dry weather performance.

He may either already have a deposit/order for one, or say he's going to actually buy one.

Rehashed here a few times, modified, reworked, re-engineered, rejigged….choose your poison.

Optimistic perspective - It’s effectively an all-new chassis based on similar design principles as the Evora but is so different it drives and feels like a different chassis all together.

Pessimistic perspective - it’s the Evora chassis with a few modifications for a wider track and to make incremental improvements identified over the life of the Evora

Given the size of the Lotus team, the number of cars in the works, their push towards their electrified future and other budget conscious choices like The engine and transmission carry over, redundant rear seats…I’d posit the latter.
If it drives like the Evora I'm more than happy

It's going to be very difficult to compare power if it's pouring down rain, but I think he'll praise the interior; it's quality, roominess, and modern look. He'll talk about the noise and how good the manual shifter is. He'll also praise the stability and handling, perhaps even be able to get it fast enough to experience the improved downforce and overall balance. He'll say something to the effect of going in thinking it was just a reskinned Evora, but realizes it's not, and now wants another go at it when it's not raining so he can compare the dry weather performance.

He may either already have a deposit/order for one, or say he's going to actually buy one.
It's almost like you've seen this formula before!

Yes think we could all write the report for him. But as long as its overall positive!!
Not long now I guess.
Yes think we could all write the report for him. But as long as its overall positive!!
Not long now I guess.
Apologies if I have missed it, but do we have a date for when the TG episode featuring the Emira will be aired?

Apologies if I have missed it, but do we have a date for when the TG episode featuring the Emira will be aired?
No clue yet. They are filming now.

The program is due to return to air this spring on BBC One but they don't have any release dates announced yet. It will be Series 32. The prior series just ended airing in late December so there will be a gap I'm sure. It might even be April/May, there's no indication yet and no announcements have been made. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mj59

They announced last year that from Series 33 on, they will be operating out of new offices at the BBC Studios Bristol, rather than from the main BBC production offices at Television Centre (London). I don't know whether that's strictly starting with Series 33 or if they are making the change early this year in a general way. Either way they will still be using the Dunsfold Aerodome for test track sequences.

The Evora was built on what Lotus called the Versatile Vehicle Architecture VVA. It was designed to be adapted, for example for the planned Esprit replacement with two seats and a V8 or V10 powerplant (such a shame that got canned!). It was also offered to other manufacturers to use. Infiniti prototyped a hybrid based on the VVA platform.

The Evora chassis for the 4xxx series used a revised version of the Evora Series 1 chassis. That included improved access by narrowing the sills.

Emira chassis uses the same fundamental technologies and has evolved from the Evora. Lots of dimensions and elements are different but the overall design looks very similar. If it builds on 12 years of Evora experience and Lotus expertise with VVA and other manufacturers, then I think it'll be an evolution and an improvement. It doesn't need to be "new new".

No clue yet. They are filming now.

The program is due to return to air this spring on BBC One but they don't have any release dates announced yet. It will be Series 32. The prior series just ended airing in late December so there will be a gap I'm sure. It might even be April/May, there's no indication yet and no announcements have been made. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mj59

They announced last year that from Series 33 on, they will be operating out of new offices at the BBC Studios Bristol, rather than from the main BBC production offices at Television Centre (London). I don't know whether that's strictly starting with Series 33 or if they are making the change early this year in a general way. Either way they will still be using the Dunsfold Aerodome for test track sequences.
From what i have seen, they have moved to Bristol... I think show will air March 20th or 27th

Last edited:
During March. Exact date tbc, but they've done the filming at Anglesey in the last week and at Hethel about two weeks ago.

I suspect it will be tied in to the TG magazine publication date and the dates for EVO and CAR as well. So 27th is my guess.

From what i havwe seen, they have moved to Bristol... I think show will air March 20th or 27th

During March. Exact date tbc, but they've done the filming at Anglesey in the last week and at Hethel about two weeks ago.

I suspect it will be tied in to the TG magazine publication date and the dates for EVO and CAR as well. So 27th is my guess.
Perhaps...... but at least its days now, not months :D:):D

On Top Gear and Chris Harris,

He just did a video on his manual M2 Comp. Some would say they aren’t competitors - I’d disagree - but should make for an interesting review and comparison.
I didnt really rate my M2 Comp. If the Evora isn't at least 20% better it will be for sale! M2 nose is too heavy (car is too heavy), interior is passable at best, suspension is crashy #typicalBMW and the 6 cylinder engine sounded terrible. Everything else was great 😇😁
If Chris says it's noticeably better then that be high praise mind at the price point. I'd hope Lotus have bench marked the Cayman to the Nth degree and the Emira is AT LEAST as good

Usually Chris Harris reviews are more technical and super detailed so they are over my expertise for the most part. I don't know what a differential is supposed to feel like drifting out of a corner. But I do understand a lot of people do have that expertise.

Anyway, for this car I think it will fun to hear how he think it handles. Specifically as it relates to Evoras. I hope he does some comparison to Evoras as there are endless videos stating that Evoras are some of the best handling cars in the world regardless of price. I am not cross shopping it so comparisons to M2s, C8s, GT4s don't matter to me.

I do hope he spends time comparing each driving mode.
Same here I’m glad to be having all the good parts, double wishbone suspension and lsd, but no idea what affect they have. With this car though I feel the need to learn to drive to appreciate these things, Lotus Driving Academy for me.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back