• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Hey fair enough, their money not mine! Just don't try to tell me it's better and I won't tell you why it's not (which is what started this whole thing). Both sides are equally entitled to their opinions.
But my opinion is better, natch.

For the people asking about numbers on lists, I don’t think it really matters. I was number one on the list, And I was in the bottom third of arrivals… once it gets to the port, I think it’s luck of the draw

One comment I forgot to include for all those yet to pick up. My car did not have the battery tender in the car when I picked it up. When I asked about it, my dealer acted like he really didn't know about that, and then guessed they only came on some of the earlier cars. When I asked to get the window sticker, and then pointed out the zero charge line item for battery maintainer, he said he would check. Later in my visit, he produced a new Lotus tender still in the shipping box. Not sure if this was just a mistake or something else......, but if you don't get your tender, ask for it. It comes with the car. Period.

One comment I forgot to include for all those yet to pick up. My car did not have the battery tender in the car when I picked it up. When I asked about it, my dealer acted like he really didn't know about that, and then guessed they only came on some of the earlier cars. When I asked to get the window sticker, and then pointed out the zero charge line item for battery maintainer, he said he would check. Later in my visit, he produced a new Lotus tender still in the shipping box. Not sure if this was just a mistake or something else......, but if you don't get your tender, ask for it. It comes with the car. Period.

never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity​

never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity​

Edited 6/7: Point taken, but I hold no illusions that my dealer is stupid. And FWIW, I don't suspect malice was intended either. I’m chalking this up to at least educating my dealer as to what the window sticker says we paid for and are entitled to receive. Regardless of this event, it was a seamless easy transaction, and otherwise I have no complaints about Eurocar whatsoever.

Last edited:
I really think (and have observed anecdotally) that the manual thing skews demographically to those who grew up with manuals being the only real option for sports cars or even sporty cars. There was a time when automatics were heavy, slower, and had fewer gears and really dulled the driving experience. There was no comparison, for instance, between a 5-speed Aston and one with a GM 3-speed auto in say 1981.

I am of this demographic. My first cars were all manual and felt very engaging. Something as simple as downshifting when slowing down, for instance, weren't even viable on most automatics until Tiptronic came along.

I will happily confirm that modern autos are indeed amazing. They will downshift, find the right gear, and when programmed right, make manuals look like an old complexity fetish of the past. I have had this experience, for example, with modern BMWs. And then there's dual clutch systems (like modern Audis) that seem even better yet. Choose between a chill setting (and software map) and a more engaged setting "sport" and off you go. Point and shoot. Great, simple, straightforward. And BMW's automatics are very good when you shift them manually as well.

So can the Emira be great with an auto, or a DCT? I'd assume absolutely. And likely more usable daily (traffic!) and also likely faster...because left leg plus right leg plus hand can't move anywhere nearly as quickly. I truly get it, and if at a meet at some point I have a chance to try an auto Emira I'd love to.

As for me I know I'm of THAT demographic where a sports car is manual. My music tastes, my clothing, my everything is locked in right around 1987, which is roughly the time when I saw my first Esprit in real life. I'm okay with that.

I really think (and have observed anecdotally) that the manual thing skews demographically to those who grew up with manuals being the only real option for sports cars or even sporty cars. There was a time when automatics were heavy, slower, and had fewer gears and really dulled the driving experience. There was no comparison, for instance, between a 5-speed Aston and one with a GM 3-speed auto in say 1981.

I am of this demographic. My first cars were all manual and felt very engaging. Something as simple as downshifting when slowing down, for instance, weren't even viable on most automatics until Tiptronic came along.

I will happily confirm that modern autos are indeed amazing. They will downshift, find the right gear, and when programmed right, make manuals look like an old complexity fetish of the past. I have had this experience, for example, with modern BMWs. And then there's dual clutch systems (like modern Audis) that seem even better yet. Choose between a chill setting (and software map) and a more engaged setting "sport" and off you go. Point and shoot. Great, simple, straightforward. And BMW's automatics are very good when you shift them manually as well.

So can the Emira be great with an auto, or a DCT? I'd assume absolutely. And likely more usable daily (traffic!) and also likely faster...because left leg plus right leg plus hand can't move anywhere nearly as quickly. I truly get it, and if at a meet at some point I have a chance to try an auto Emira I'd love to.

As for me I know I'm of THAT demographic where a sports car is manual. My music tastes, my clothing, my everything is locked in right around 1987, which is roughly the time when I saw my first Esprit in real life. I'm okay with that.
100% agree and I ordered my Emira to be a throwback the longer I have it and to provide that experience even if slower. By the same logic EV blows away a DCT as far as acceleration and smoothness. If I have the space and can afford it in the future I’d love to have the EV roadster alongside the V6MT in my garage :). But first it will probably be the Eletre for practicality!

Well written.
I am a millennial and I grew up thinking DCT is the KING. DCT is fast, cool, and have been used in motorsports. My dream cars all have motorsports or F1 derived engines and gearboxes and claim "telepathic" shifting logic. However, when I really get into sport driving or racing, regardless what kind of gearbox, I shift only with my own logic. I love a manual gearbox because I can take control of the car, not the other way around. And I prefer a manual over sequential or DCT paddle shift because I love a challenge. Driving a manual car is a sport as much as an art. Manual cars can differentiate great drivers from good drivers. I can sense the respect from people I meet at track days when they know I have a manual and they cannot keep up with my pace in similar cars. That is rewarding and I know the car can only take part of the credit.
Why I love manual? Because that stick makes me think for the car and as a car.

Well written.
I am a millennial and I grew up thinking DCT is the KING. DCT is fast, cool, and have been used in motorsports. My dream cars all have motorsports or F1 derived engines and gearboxes and claim "telepathic" shifting logic. However, when I really get into sport driving or racing, regardless what kind of gearbox, I shift only with my own logic. I love a manual gearbox because I can take control of the car, not the other way around. And I prefer a manual over sequential or DCT paddle shift because I love a challenge. Driving a manual car is a sport as much as an art. Manual cars can differentiate great drivers from good drivers. I can sense the respect from people I meet at track days when they know I have a manual and they cannot keep up with my pace in similar cars. That is rewarding and I know the car can only take part of the credit.
Why I love manual? Because that stick makes me think for the car and as a car.

Nothing like driving with both your hands and both of your feet. A well executed series of brake, shifts, steering and gas and back and forth is truly satisfying. Feels more like an event driving the car and sometimes you feel like you actually know what you're doing.

I think the DCT/auto group is either - I want a GT car or I want max performance. Nothing wrong with either. DCT is unquestionably more efficient in racing situations.

Nothing like driving with both your hands and both of your feet. A well executed series of brake, shifts, steering and gas and back and forth is truly satisfying. Feels more like an event driving the car and sometimes you feel like you actually know what you're doing.

I think the DCT/auto group is either - I want a GT car or I want max performance. Nothing wrong with either. DCT is unquestionably more efficient in racing situations.
Taking Delivery today. 912 days, and it's almost over.

I can honestly say that I have never stopped, walked around a cool car, poked my head in the window and said, " Hey, Look honey, It's a manual". I thnk most of us don't give a rat's a$$ whether somebody else drives a manual, auto, DCT, or electric.

As long as you are not in my lane, I don't car what you drive. Either way, move aside, I'm passing you.

Nothing like driving with both your hands and both of your feet.

My dealer told me, "This is why left foot braking was invented" when I said my stick was more fun than my PDK. He was right. #Save the Auto

FWIW, I waited almost 2 years from deposit to (today’s) delivery. My V6 manual landed in Baltimore May 24 and arrived at the Calgary dealer June 4, so fairly quick delivery from port. My dealer said they usually get 24 hours advance notice of the transport truck arrival, but they were actually told 2 days before delivery of my vehicle. I’m told there’s no battery tender with car (on back order) so I’ll get it later. In case anyone was wondering, it comes with the yellow/black wheel center caps and nose badge. Apparently they all do, in spite of someone at Lotus supposedly saying awhile ago, Lotus was thinking of switching to black/silver emblems to match the steering wheel. I’m typing this while on a 3-hour bus ride to Calgary for p/u. Too bad it’s raining but that hasn’t dampened my excitement!

I can honestly say that I have never stopped, walked around a cool car, poked my head in the window and said, " Hey, Look honey, It's a manual". I thnk most of us don't give a rat's a$$ whether somebody else drives a manual, auto, DCT, or electric.

As long as you are not in my lane, I don't car what you drive. Either way, move aside, I'm passing you.
That’s funny. I have literally done this before, many times. But hey I’m not knocking PDK. It’s a preference and use case thing.