• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Has anyone confirmed a 2.0 F/E allocation yet? US or CAN... I have heard absolutely nothing from my dealer since sometime last year. Now that the configurator is updated with new colours, I would assume it would be soon....
Nope, we are in the DARK. Although I hear rumblings about the I4 being toured around in June/July?! Seems like that wont happen.

Has anyone confirmed a 2.0 F/E allocation yet? US or CAN... I have heard absolutely nothing from my dealer since sometime last year. Now that the configurator is updated with new colours, I would assume it would be soon....

I used to check in with my dealer every 6 months. Now I am just gonna wait until the first car hits the USA before I ask about a base allocation update.

I used to check in with my dealer every 6 months. Now I am just gonna wait until the first car hits the USA before I ask about a base allocation update.
Remarkable restraint

Remarkable restraint
Like a Jedi Knight. There isn't a day that goes by or hardly an hour where I don't think about this car. When I finally realized how long the wait could be I had to downshift. And now my 21 month DV spec foundation is crumbling because I got Vivid on one shoulder and DV on another and they are going at it.

I use to look at this forum daily.. Now I try to pace myself and visit once / month. Otherwise, it's really like watching paint dry. I felt depressed last week with the spring weather knowing that there's a 0% probability that I'd get my Emira in 2023, so I went ahead and bought a MX-5 to ease the pain for a few months. Incredibly fun so far for a budget sporty car.

But yeah no news from my dealer in Montreal. "We're waiting for more information from Lotus" is essentially what they've been saying for the last many months.

My dealer has received another roadshow car today that they will have for two weeks on showroom display and doing another round of test drives for deposit holders (i doubt anyone can drive it).
Hopefully this a trend for other dealer showings. Havent heard how long I'll get to go over the car this time.
No news on when they're getting their FE2.0 allocations. Probably 'soon'.

My dealer has received another roadshow car today that they will have for two weeks on showroom display and doing another round of test drives for deposit holders (i doubt anyone can drive it).
Hopefully this a trend for other dealer showings. Havent heard how long I'll get to go over the car this time.
No news on when they're getting their FE2.0 allocations. Probably 'soon'.
Don't know if a Lotus USA rep accompanies the car, but if so, perhaps you can ask about the future schedule for the car at other dealerships.

Guys, I really need some reassurance here. I'm hearing horror story after horror story from ROW owners. Limp mode, corroded brake lines, power steering failing, wiper and brake issues... all things that shouldn't be happening to ANY new vehicle, let alone a $100k+ sportscar. Every single owner I've spoken to has had issues (and I chat with many here and on my IG account) and those outside of UK (even those close to Hethel) are having trouble getting service done in a timely manner. Lotus of US seems nonexistent with customer comms. I can only imagine how painful potential warranty work approvals will be. My dealer never has any updates or anything new to say except expressing his own frustration with HQ and their lack of comms. No word on US certification process, how the cars will be stored, or if there will be further delays. I've been spending the last couple months thinking "well, there's always lemon law if I have major problems." Well I talked with them today and was told since Lotus is an exotic and doesn't have an actual US based HQ, there isn't really much lemon law can do to help or go after them even if it's stuck in the shop with numerous warranty and safety issues.

What are you guys thinking? I know I sound like a broken record and I don't want to be negative, but I've been so excited for this car for years and I'm just not seeing a bright ownership future based on recent feedback and my Lotus experience thus far. Am I just too close to this car and clouded with negativity of online postings? Or do I have enough reliable inside info to bail and save myself further disappointment? I wasn't signing up to be a QC tester when pre-ordering this car 2 years ago. I hoped the proven Toyota powertrain and Geely backing would equal a reliable exotic sportscar. Apparently I was wrong...

I had a proper 45 minutes with a demo car today at Gator. Plenty of time to get the seat adjusted just right, and try out all 3 drive settings. Last time they had a Sport suspension car. This time it’s a touring version.

My thoughts after a proper drive with enough time to get somewhat accustomed to the car:

It doesn’t matter if you get touring or sports suspension. Both are great. If I’d been told that Lotus only made one version, I’d be super happy with either!

Zero issues with this car. It started raining and the wipers did what I expected. It never rained hard enough to see the issue with high speed wipers, though.

I kept it mostly in track setting. The engine and exhaust sound were fantastic.

Rev hang isn’t bad, you just have to time the throttle lift a split second earlier before clutch/shifting.

Took me about 20 minutes to get heel and toe shifting consistently smooth. The brakes are very responsive and the throttle blip could result in a bit too much brake. I finally just starting being more aggressive on the brakes and it worked out. I think it’ll be perfect on track and when driving hard.

Glad I chose the Goodyears over the Cups. It was 45F and wet, and they gripped well. It was easy to pull the tail out exiting a roundabout, but no drama. I did find that I needed to commit to enough throttle on the wet pavement when tracking out of the corner or it would start understeering.

Now back to counting the months until mine arrives.

Guys, I really need some reassurance here. I'm hearing horror story after horror story from ROW owners. Limp mode, corroded brake lines, power steering failing, wiper and brake issues... all things that shouldn't be happening to ANY new vehicle, let alone a $100k+ sportscar. Every single owner I've spoken to has had issues (and I chat with many here and on my IG account) and those outside of UK (even those close to Hethel) are having trouble getting service done in a timely manner. Lotus of US seems nonexistent with customer comms. I can only imagine how painful potential warranty work approvals will be. My dealer never has any updates or anything new to say except expressing his own frustration with HQ and their lack of comms. No word on US certification process, how the cars will be stored, or if there will be further delays. I've been spending the last couple months thinking "well, there's always lemon law if I have major problems." Well I talked with them today and was told since Lotus is an exotic and doesn't have an actual US based HQ, there isn't really much lemon law can do to help or go after them even if it's stuck in the shop with numerous warranty and safety issues.

What are you guys thinking? I know I sound like a broken record and I don't want to be negative, but I've been so excited for this car for years and I'm just not seeing a bright ownership future based on recent feedback and my Lotus experience thus far. Am I just too close to this car and clouded with negativity of online postings? Or do I have enough reliable inside info to bail and save myself further disappointment? I wasn't signing up to be a QC tester when pre-ordering this car 2 years ago. I hoped the proven Toyota powertrain and Geely backing would equal a reliable exotic sportscar. Apparently I was wrong...
Cars should be enjoyable. In my opinion, life is way too short to experience stress over a car. NA buyers haven't experienced anything first hand, except a long wait. If it's already stressing you, and you don't even have the car, it's probably time to get out and find another car that you enjoy.

Luckily all my Lotus have been really reliable and I'm banking of more of the same with the Emira.

Do you have an F/E 1.0 or 2.0 or Base?

My honest opinion is I would be concerned about the first year of F/E builds. (with any brand really) After that it generally should start improving. We are only at about 6/7 months of Emira's being built I believe. It was launched at perhaps the worst time in recent history to launch a car. I am ok with receiving the car in year 2 of production. My 2 Cents.

Also in terms of modern cars, the Emira is using fairly simple technologies. I think the issues we are seeing is mostly battery related and some inexperienced QC or work force. That issue will get sorted fairly quickly as the line keeps moving and they gain experience each week. The other issue is perhaps bad batches from parts suppliers. This is where being small gives little leverage against big suppliers. But, again should get better after each round of new ordering the parts and updates keep getting made. Year 2 Emira's should be far better IMO.

I too have some anxiety about what the reliability of the car will be as the Emira will be my daily driver. Even though most of the systemic bugs should be worked out before my car arrives in a couple years, I know that there is still the risk that the build quality will not be perfect. At this point, however, I've decided to take that risk in anticipation of getting the last ICE car Lotus will make. I'm currently driving a plug-in hybrid and will likely go all electric after I'm done with the Emira, but what a way to say goodbye to the petrol car era.

As far as communications with Lotus, I've had no problems reaching Tammy, U.S. Relationship Manager based in the U.K. I've also been successful in communicating with Lotus USA Sales for a few questions. They do tend to hold things close to the chest though in terms of information they will publicly disclose, but that may be a result of limited info coming from Hethel.

Let's face it, it probably wouldn't be so frustrating if the Emira wasn't such an amazing automobile that we all crave. I, for one, am in it to the end because even the early owners who have been experiencing all of those problems still seem to love the car. There is simply no other car at this time that excites me as much as the Emira, and I haven't even seen one in person. I say hang in there (y).

My honest opinion is I would be concerned about the first year of F/E builds. (with any brand really) After that it generally should start improving. We are only at about 6/7 months of Emira's being built I believe. It was launched at perhaps the worst time in recent history to launch a car. I am ok with receiving the car in year 2 of production. My 2 Cents.

Also in terms of modern cars, the Emira is using fairly simple technologies. I think the issues we are seeing is mostly battery related and some inexperienced QC or work force. That issue will get sorted fairly quickly as the line keeps moving and they gain experience each week. The other issue is perhaps bad batches from parts suppliers. This is where being small gives little leverage against big suppliers. But, again should get better after each round of new ordering the parts and updates keep getting made. Year 2 Emira's should be far better IMO.
I’d be far more worried about Chinese people receiving M139 variants in the next few months if what Lotus is saying is true about timelines. If Lotus are messing up a proven drivetrain this badly, I can’t even imagine what the M139 holds.

My friend, who’s a car fanatic, told me this…if you want reliability, large dealer networks for service, and parts availability, go with Porsche. Otherwise accept the reliability issues, small dealer networks, and long lead times for replacement parts for boutique or small manufacturers like Lotus.

Although I have submitted my deposit, I am keeping an open mind to other manufacturers. The agonizing decision is when I must place my second deposit and lock in my order. It’s probably at that time I will fully decide if the Emira is still the right choice or if I should bail and look at other cars.

If you have not locked in your order, take the time to sit back and relax. What you really need is more time to clear your mind of all the noise, and then methodically look at the pros and cons, and whether or not you can live with it long term. Hopefully you will come upon the right decision that makes sense to you and your situation. Good luck!

I’d be far more worried about Chinese people receiving M139 variants in the next few months if what Lotus is saying is true about timelines. If Lotus are messing up a proven drivetrain this badly, I can’t even imagine what the M139 holds.
Agree…. The i4 will be interesting. I will never understand how the reliability has seemingly been so off… realistically they produced the Evora for so long. This should be the improved, more reliable version of Evora. Also by using Volvo / Geely tech, that should be well sorted. In the end, I think we are seeing mostly electrical issues. (Wiring or software or battery) which should be fixed regardless of its i4 or V6.

One way i4 may be better is Lotus I don’t think are tinkering with the engine internals. With the Toyota they are changing ECU’s adding supercharger and cracking open the gearbox and fiddling around. The merc i4 comes out of the box and into the car. Might be the more reliable one.

Early FE 1.0 spec ordered last March or April. I agree the issues are mostly battery related. Intel says they're cheap Chinese batteries that sat in storage way too long. I'm concerned about my car sitting at the port for months and months too. Brain says to pull my order and get something else. Heart doesn't want anything else.

As far as communications with Lotus, I've had no problems reaching Tammy, U.S. Relationship Manager based in the U.K. I've also been successful in communicating with Lotus USA Sales for a few questions.

Will you private message me Tammy's contact info? I last time I tried the phone number in her signature it didn't work.

Will you private message me Tammy's contact info? I last time I tried the phone number in her signature it didn't work.
You want the head of Lotus Sales USA? I got that. Pm me if you want it.

Also, is the body Fiberglass or plastic? Are these plastic bumpers or fiberglass?

You want the head of Lotus Sales USA? I got that. Pm me if you want it.

Also, is the body Fiberglass or plastic? Are these plastic bumpers or fiberglass?

I've got his contact info too. Appreciate the offer! Doubt he'd want to hear from another frustrated deposit holder.

And that's a loaded question... @Porter provided a lot of useful info in this thread (don't want this one to go off track).

I've got his contact info too. Appreciate the offer! Doubt he'd want to hear from another frustrated deposit holder.

And that's a loaded question... @Porter provided a lot of useful info in this thread (don't want this one to go off track).
Thanks, unfortunately that topic is now closed. What other bumpers are made from this material? Trying to get a read on what other companies use this. Also to keep in the spirit of this thread, ive heard rumblings of further delays, past our October/November or whatever they quoted us. This is due in part to a revamp of current q/c standards due to myriad issues that are popping up. As Harry said, he had some "niggles" that popped up and went away. Is that acceptable? No, it means that there is 100% and issue that will creep up again, more than likely software.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back