What engine will you go with Toyota V6 or AMG 4? [poll]

What engine option will you choose for the Emira

• AMG-sourced four-cylinder making 360 horsepower

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Supercharged 416-hp Toyota V-6

Votes: 147 69.0%

• Total voters
Scratch that, I'm going with the most powerful engine and that looks to be the supercharged V6. Can we confirm that it is indeed 400hp? I can seem to find that number anywhere on Lotus' site???
There is a guy who posts on Youtube by the name of whichbike - he was talking to Matt and Matt confirms the 3.5lt is actually 416bhp

skip to about 13min and 20sec

I'm choosing the V-6 with manual, but just wondered if anyone was thinking about tuning the 4 with the DCT trans. since it would likely be the quicker car short of major work on the V-6 to get more power.
Here's a question, could you plug the ECU from a Merc A45 straight in and get the full 415bhp? if that works could you then go to SuperChips and get that up to 471bhp and a massive 621Nm!

I am guesstimating that the AMG might even become the range topper (or might be offered with different output levels from 350-480 bhp, as Mercedes-AMG is doing).
It probably has more upside potential than the V6, as it is the much more modern engine.

Totally agree, I recall my dealer saying back in Sept that the 3.5 would be a limited run. The AMG unit is tried tested and appears bullet proof even when tuned - SuperChip take them to 477bhp and well over 600NM with no issues. My dealer confirmed the Launch Edition is "detuned" to 360bhp but will come with a very long and extensive warranty, Matt also confirmed there will be an "R" version, so lets see what that comes with.

I think that engine room is more sterile than most hospitals! Amazing how modern these facilities have become.

Im curious as to the engine options also, I initially thought the AMG with the DCT because of its aftermarket tuning abilities, although I then heard a soundclip of the Supercharged V6 with the valves open in the exhaust, and my decision was made, it sounds amazing ans really suits the car. I just dont think I could drive the Emira with the sound of the 4cyl AMG motor coming out the back, albeit will be stupid fast im sure.
Lets wait and see what the pricing does.... que waiting music

V6 for me - and the availability of the manual transmission is the only reason I am in the market for the Emira (I already have several superb cars with DCT but miss a good manual transmission since I sold my Porsche 996). My deposit is down!

This really is an interesting topic, and divisive I'm sure! Other than a few stats I've seen I'm not that familiar with either of these engines - if the AMG proves to be lighter than the V6 by a worthwhile margin then that tips it for me; the car is already a bit heavier than expected, which is unusual for Lotus, so anything which moves the dial back the other way has to be welcome. I've also read the AMG is a newer design with newer technology so I imagine specific output and also output for it's own weight are better, as is efficiency and emissions?

Would be good if any of you could fill in the gaps in my knowledge, apologies if the info is already in the thread above - not had time to read it all yet!

The pricing is quite interesting with the engine options.

UK - AMG from £60k, V6 from £75k.....

Now I really want a manual transmission, that's a large part of the appeal with the Emira for me over something like a 2nd hand Ferrari or McLaren etc. It seems the only way to have that is the V6.

If they were the same price thats ok, but being asked to pay £15k more for something I don't really see as better (in fact the only advantages I can see in the v6 is the noise and power delivery characteristics) is a bit of an issue. So will I spend £15k for a manual transmission.... its an expensive option!

AMG powered Lotus - hell yeah…. It’s DCT - cool launch control!
Toyota powered Lotus - logical and sensible fun - & it’s manual, cool old skool!

Just throwing this out there for the sake of conversation. The 2 litre 4 from AMG makes 415 hp. in the Mercedes A-45, and about 370 lb ft. of torque. Of course you'd be voiding the warranty, but these numbers basically equal (better the torque #) of the V-6. AND it should weigh less. Any thoughts?
Yep, it’s 50kg less than the supercharged V6. Plus the AMG engine has a lightweight forged crank, forged aluminium pistons, a large twin scroll ball bearing turbo (minimal lag, spools earlier), closed deck block, separate cooling circuits for head and block and a neatly packaged and very efficient charge cooler.
a sports catted down pipe and remap for 98 Ron fuel is seeing close to 500bhp at the crank and an insane torque curve. Mated to the 8 speed DCT box it’ll be an animal.
Spending the extra £15k to have the aged Camry engine and manual box doesn’t make sense to me.

Th
Yep, it’s 50kg less than the supercharged V6. Plus the AMG engine has a lightweight forged crank, forged aluminium pistons, a large twin scroll ball bearing turbo (minimal lag, spools earlier), closed deck block, separate cooling circuits for head and block and a neatly packaged and very efficient charge cooler.
a sports catted down pipe and remap for 98 Ron fuel is seeing close to 500bhp at the crank and an insane torque curve. Mated to the 8 speed DCT box it’ll be an animal.
Spending the extra £15k to have the aged Camry engine and manual box doesn’t make sense to me.
This is all true, and an exceedingly logical way to look at it. No doubt it is the technically superior engine; not to mention more recently developed.

That said, it just doesn’t stir the emotions the same way the V6 mated to a manual does. The sound, the shifting, the whining supercharger behind your head. These are what it’s about for a lot of people.

The pricing is quite interesting with the engine options.

UK - AMG from £60k, V6 from £75k.....

Now I really want a manual transmission, that's a large part of the appeal with the Emira for me over something like a 2nd hand Ferrari or McLaren etc. It seems the only way to have that is the V6.

If they were the same price thats ok, but being asked to pay £15k more for something I don't really see as better (in fact the only advantages I can see in the v6 is the noise and power delivery characteristics) is a bit of an issue. So will I spend £15k for a manual transmission.... its an expensive option!
Hmm, I hadn't seen anything on the price differential between the two powerplants so was about to ask what your source was - but just did a quick Google and found "The V6-engined car will form the upper end of the Emira range, with a circa £75-85,000 starting price" from Evo. That's a big difference from the <£60k starting price originally put out (and I had assumed, obviously wrongly, that the older powerplant with manual transmission would start towards the bottom of the range...)

I may have to rethink this.

When speaking to one of the guys on the stand @ Goodwood he said that there will be roughly a £5k difference in price between the engines.

Here's a question, could you plug the ECU from a Merc A45 straight in and get the full 415bhp? if that works could you then go to SuperChips and get that up to 471bhp and a massive 621Nm!
I’ve been trying to determine the actual differences between the AMG M139 base engine or non s, and the S version but no one, not even on Benz Boost knows?

I suspect there’s more than just a difference in boost/map otherwise the stage 1 remap a would all make the same figures and they don’t. I do know that the S engine does run 3 psi more boost, but I’d love to know if the inlet / exhaust or cams are also different.

anyone?

That good info Piers - a very handy weight saving!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back