What engine will you go with Toyota V6 or AMG 4? [poll]

What engine option will you choose for the Emira

• AMG-sourced four-cylinder making 360 horsepower

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Supercharged 416-hp Toyota V-6

Votes: 147 69.0%

• Total voters
Hello,
I’m new on the forum, very interesting movie although I think that the AMG engine is the M260 (A35) which is totally different engine than the M138 (A45) which from what I found based on a different block. Although it stays a good alternative for the V6, I guess the AMG M139 engine would be to close or even over class the V6 considering his power, weight and consumption ratio. The sound however is another story. Anyone some inside information?
Cheers,
Mr Ray
Hi

Would be cool to see where you read that info about the engine.

Are there any possibilities that V6 version going to be cheaper than AMG 4-Cyl?
I understand marketing wise and the hp numbers they can put higher pricing for V6 version to I4.
However I am also wondering if V6 is actually cheaper for them to produce, based on the truth that 2GR is Toyota mass-produced model and AMG I4 is hand built custom high end engine by AMG which is also sport premium brand.

Are there any possibilities that V6 version going to be cheaper than AMG 4-Cyl?
I understand marketing wise and the hp numbers they can put higher pricing for V6 version to I4.
However I am also wondering if V6 is actually cheaper for them to produce, based on the truth that 2GR is Toyota mass-produced model and AMG I4 is hand built custom high end engine by AMG which is also sport premium brand.
Not according to my dealer

I think Lotus have been a little disingenuous here. Only the V6 is going to be available at first; from launch, you will not be able to buy a £60,000 Emira, it will be at least £15,000 more than that, so it should not have been advertised as a starting price. I put my deposit down in the assumption that the launch price related to the launch spec, and that the hand-built AMG DCT engine would be more - as you would expect. I'm not particularly happy, and at this time unlikely to proceed with the purchase.

Who actually knows what spec that 'starting from less than £60,000' relates to?

Hi, personally I would rather have liked the AMG V6 in this car instead off the Toyota engine which is aged. Nevertheless a proper upgrade to 500hp could do wonders.

I think Lotus have been a little disingenuous here. Only the V6 is going to be available at first; from launch, you will not be able to buy a £60,000 Emira, it will be at least £15,000 more than that, so it should not have been advertised as a starting price. I put my deposit down in the assumption that the launch price related to the launch spec, and that the hand-built AMG DCT engine would be more - as you would expect. I'm not particularly happy, and at this time unlikely to proceed with the purchase.

Oh thats sad to hear...
£15,000 is the same price range to Cayman GTS/GT4, for same 400-ish HP, of course besides the undeniable fact that Emira has lot more exotic feeling looking.
We might need to be careful on it.
I will keep waiting for detailed option prices to be officially announced.

I think the launch spec not being available for the trailed launch price is potentially a fair criticism. I’m waiting for concrete pricing to come out before fretting about it too much, but can imagine a few of us that have stuck deposits down might take a pass if it ends up c.£80k with options on the day 1 car rather than £60k-odd.

Base spec is "under £60k" - that's the target Lotus have published. First Edition spec is fully loaded at (likely) £75k. If you thought "launch spec" was £60k I think you've misread the Lotus communications. You'll be able to order a base spec car, but won't get delivery of it until several months after the First Edition cars start being delivered.

Lotus did the same with the Evora launch, with a fully loaded Launch Edition priced higher than the base spec and the only available option for the first 300-500 cars. There were choices on colours, interior and wheels but the rest was fixed.

If you want an early Emira you'll have to go First Edition, if you want a cheaper own-spec you'll have a bit of a wait. If you put a deposit down in the UK after 9/10 July (ish) then you're facing a wait anyway and may not get the option of a First Edition.

More details should be published in a couple of weeks.

Back to the original question: V6 manual for me :)

I will go for the V6 and manual and in yellow. With black roof!View attachment 119
Wow! That is one beautiful car. Love that you went with a silver wheel instead of black. It just gives the car a really fresh quality. No one will be able to ignore you driving down the road. TBH, I have always been drawn to a bright yellow sports car. It is such a bold statement! But alas, it doesn’t match my personality. I’m a a pediatric cancer doc and leukemia researcher. Pretty laid back and not one to seek the spotlight. I typically go for things that are more understated. I don’t think I could credibly pull off something so bold. But again I say, WOW!

Check out the build on the AMG 4 pot. My jaw dropped..

With all that tech you’d wish they wouldn’t cover it ALL UP (top pic)
AF007A61-ACB9-44BA-A7CE-D8A268064641.jpeg

@klho001 That top pic is of the blue show car and the cover is because there's no engine in it! It may or may not be the cover they'll use on the production AMG engine. Let's see :)

Answers to both recent questions are in the cafection video, Gav Kershaw confirms its the M139, and the engine cover on the i4 is for thermal management..

I was also told at Goodwood that although it will be tuned for 360hp (this is as its a world car and has to run on various different fuel quality), that the engine would be tuned for maximum torque..

Answers to both recent questions are in the cafection video, Gav Kershaw confirms its the M139, and the engine cover on the i4 is for thermal management..

I was also told at Goodwood that although it will be tuned for 360hp (this is as its a world car and has to run on various different fuel quality), that the engine would be tuned for maximum torque..
Yeah guess pretty much confirms the pic above is accurate

Wow. 360 is a real disappointment. I only want dual clutch so I may have to pass if this turns out to be accurate.

Last edited:
The Emira will have a choice of two engines: an AMG-sourced four-cylinder making 360 horsepower or the supercharged 416-hp Toyota V-6 currently offered in the Evora. What engine do you plan on going with?

View attachment 12
I am going for the AMG engine. Have a Lotus Elise S3 SC currently, only use it every odd weekend. Going to enjoy the Emira more and use it as a daily driver. The raw driving experience of the Elise is outstanding, however not utilised enough. Another reason for the AMG engine is the ability to upgrade HP post warranty at a lower cost. I agree that the engine sound won't be the same as the V6 Emira, however my Elise with the Larini exhaust is pretty impressive.

I am going for the AMG engine. Have a Lotus Elise S3 SC currently, only use it every odd weekend. Going to enjoy the Emira more and use it as a daily driver. The raw driving experience of the Elise is outstanding, however not utilised enough. Another reason for the AMG engine is the ability to upgrade HP post warranty at a lower cost. I agree that the engine sound won't be the same as the V6 Emira, however my Elise with the Larini exhaust is pretty impressive.
Isn't it the case that it is the exhaust that is the "loudspeaker" for the engine and creates most of the noise and fireworks! I've heard cars drawing near, with the sound of a Maclaren (other, hyper cars available), they turn the corner and into sight ................... a Fiesta/Corsa ..similar!!!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back