What engine will you go with Toyota V6 or AMG 4? [poll]

What engine option will you choose for the Emira

• AMG-sourced four-cylinder making 360 horsepower

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Supercharged 416-hp Toyota V-6

Votes: 147 69.0%

• Total voters
Hello,
I’m new on the forum, very interesting movie although I think that the AMG engine is the M260 (A35) which is totally different engine than the M138 (A45) which from what I found based on a different block. Although it stays a good alternative for the V6, I guess the AMG M139 engine would be to close or even over class the V6 considering his power, weight and consumption ratio. The sound however is another story. Anyone some inside information?
Cheers,
Mr Ray
There’s been at least 2 videos I’ve seen were Lotus staff have agreed that it is the m139. Their marketing material has also said “the most powerful 4 cylinder in the world”, which is the m139.
Don’t forget the 4 cylinder is going to be the performance version eventually so they couldn’t be using a lower performing engine

In terms of Lotus history and heritage, I like the fact that a 4-pot with a very high specifc output per litre harks back to the old Lotus-Ford big valve 1600cc twin-cam and also the Lotus type 900 slant 4 that was in the Esprit (pre-V8), Elite, Eclat and Excel.

Classic Lotus philosophy - getting more out of less - very literally more bangs for your buck!

Type 900 below; scroll down for Big valve twin-cam
1629738286485.jpeg

1629738326132.jpeg

Last edited:
I put down a deposit today on the V6 Manual. In my opinion, if you are going to get the "last hurrah" of an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), then you might as well get the most out of that ICE and driving pleasure/experience. Yeah, I'm feeling a bit old and my knee will probably hate me, but I'll be damned if I'm not smiling every time I shift gears ha ha. Can't wait to roll up to Teslas and let them hear the sound of fossil fuel combusting next to them.

Lots of interesting views. I can see for some like me it depends what you are seeking from it. I’m going for the classic Lotus 4 pot, albeit with the amazing engine of an AMG. Personally I get my aural kicks from a V8 elsewhere so looking for the Emira to be closer to a thrilling daily and something different from my long held Elise.

After seeing the car today, I'm now in the i4 camp. It's such a nice looking car it's not a car I'd thrash about, so have no need for a manual and think neither 360 or 400 is particularly potent at 1400kg, it may look like a 120k car, but neither option gives it serious poke. Very happy to GT it though, which is the new plan.

So what's the chance this may debut in the Emira.?
Slim to none. This is AMG's best tech. They are not going to put it in a Lotus this early. They will let the C63 have that powerplant exclusively for at least 2-3 years, and maybe even put it in newer A45S or CLA45S cars. In the meantime, Lotus can upgrade to the 416hp version. Note that the electric enhanced turbo version of the M139 requires a 48 volt electric system, a suitable battery, and charging system, so it is a little more involved than just dropping in a new engine.

AMG 100% i'll wait. the 3.5L v6 has merit but i like the turbo car driving experience and also the lower road tax rate and lower emissions standards will make that one very desirable in a world where petrol is running out.

AMG 100% i'll wait. the 3.5L v6 has merit but i like the turbo car driving experience and also the lower road tax rate and lower emissions standards will make that one very desirable in a world where petrol is running out.
Petrol is not running out and especially won’t be when all the Gretas have gone electric

Someone posted this - I can't remember where . Many thank to original poster - the diagram is on the last page.

Attachments

• Emira V6 First Edition Options-compressed.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
That combined with the dual clutch gearbox will probably make it as fast as the V6 in the real 🌎
Hard to say. The manual M2 Competition is faster than its DCT version, despite having the exact same horsepower. A lot of different factors will come into play, including launch control on the DCT and weight, but I think we'll have to wait until reviewers get their hands on both.

That combined with the dual clutch gearbox will probably make it as fast as the V6 in the real 🌎
If the FE I4 comes with 400HP, I would expect it to be consistently faster than the V6 in instrumented tests.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back