• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Who here has tracked their Emira?

Blackthought_

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone here track their Emira? If so, did you track the car 100% stock or did you upgrade parts? Particularly interested if you changed out the brake fluid, pads, tires, etc.

I've been to hundreds of track days and races including sitting right seat at probably half of those. If you do decide to take your Emira to the track, find out what the safest track within driving distance is. Some tracks are much safer than others if you go off. NJMP park might have higher rates because they just have grass runoff so if you do go off you are much more likely to hit the wall. At track days, the vast majority of accidents are single car, driver error related, normally in the medium level groups. Look for tracks that have at least one longer "carousel" type corners as high angle corners are a good way to start learning to drive at the limit and only push on corners that are safe.

Autocross is also a good option as you can immediately push everywhere with no fear.

I've been to hundreds of track days and races including sitting right seat at probably half of those. If you do decide to take your Emira to the track, find out what the safest track within driving distance is. Some tracks are much safer than others if you go off. NJMP park might have higher rates because they just have grass runoff so if you do go off you are much more likely to hit the wall. At track days, the vast majority of accidents are single car, driver error related, normally in the medium level groups. Look for tracks that have at least one longer "carousel" type corners as high angle corners are a good way to start learning to drive at the limit and only push on corners that are safe.

Autocross is also a good option as you can immediately push everywhere with no fear.
Good advice. I avoid tracks with too many walls along corners. In Socal- Big Willow, Streets and Buttonwillow have dirt runoff. I have no interest in something like the Speedway Roval - yikes. People are relying on tires and aero to max out roval speed. With a wall all along that corner, no thanks.

I've spun out a few times and it was unpleasant, and dirty, but fine. (Some say spinning is the best way to learn the limit.🤷) You still have to worry about bigger rocks and undulations in the road that could initiate a rollover... so, yes, some tracks are definitely safer, but nothing is 100% risk free.

I'd also like to add, be very selective about who you sign up to track with. Most of the real instructor in car track clubs are very good and very low incident rate. Private rentals and private clubs where people know each other also tend to have very low incident rates. I personally wouldn't track an expensive car with an open group or one with a bad reputation for incidents.

Also prior insurance advice
Open track will only cover incidents ON Track. Nothing Paddock. And yes, 10% deductible on fixed value.
Private insurance will be needed for paddock incidents.
I have seen several friends put in claims with their private insurers for messed up bumpers if they go off and into a field. Crash and wall stuff, yeah, that's Open track or self-insured.

I'd also like to add, be very selective about who you sign up to track with. Most of the real instructor in car track clubs are very good and very low incident rate. Private rentals and private clubs where people know each other also tend to have very low incident rates. I personally wouldn't track an expensive car with an open group or one with a bad reputation for incidents.

Also prior insurance advice
Open track will only cover incidents ON Track. Nothing Paddock. And yes, 10% deductible on fixed value.
Private insurance will be needed for paddock incidents.
I have seen several friends put in claims with their private insurers for messed up bumpers if they go off and into a field. Crash and wall stuff, yeah, that's Open track or self-insured.
100% agree...certain organizing groups have much lower incidents. In my experience PCA is an extremely good group to run with and most don't mind if you run a non-porsche as long as you are a PCA member and have some experience before showing up. Other non brand specific "generic" track organizations that cater less expensive cars are not.

I used OpenTrack and it was about $750 for a two day event. Got quotes from Hagerty and one other company and they were similar.

Glad I bought insurance plus liability - so I could push myself and the car, but glad I didn’t need to make a claim! That tire wall wanted a kiss but I’m a prude 😌

If you scroll down the drive selector, it goes Tour > Sport > Track > Lawnmower

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 12.42.40 PM.jpeg

Glad I bought insurance plus liability - so I could push myself and the car, but glad I didn’t need to make a claim! That tire wall wanted a kiss but I’m a prude 😌

If you scroll down the drive selector, it goes Tour > Sport > Track > Lawnmower

View attachment 50936
Nice! How was it overall? Did you do any new brake fluid or pads? Or stock?

Nice! How was it overall? Did you do any new brake fluid or pads? Or stock?

Car was amazing. You could really mash it hard and wrestle it and it just takes it so well.

Everything was bone stock - Wanted to see how it was before I did anything.

I got over confident in Sport Mode, so the lap I spun out was when I put it in Track. The rest of the day I kept in Sport and had a blast. The brakes were also phenomenal, I kept braking way too early.

Last edited:
Wow, glad to hear your spin-out didn't ruin your day! I've got a track day at COTA coming up, and I can't wait to see how the Emira performs.

Back