Why are so many Emiras being resold in the USA?

I’m hoping the prices continue to drop more especially when the Emira S is announced. People aren’t lining up at the door to buy these cars, and when I daily drove my Elise for 9 years I maybe saw 9 cars randomly on the road when driving. I’m looking to purchase one next year, and seeing how the UK market has many Emiras for a fraction of the price. I’m hoping that the US market might take the same turn. Looking at Bring a trailer, each Emira sold so far has gotten lower and lower in price when sold. Time will tell.
An Elise as your daily for nine years?! If I was Lotus I would give you a free Emira in exchange for signing a medical waiver! Guessing you either have a back doctor on speed dial or are a circus contortionist by profession.

What were you doing 3 years ago, and are you in the same place? I'm one of the ones selling mine, my life is night and day different than it was in July 2021 when I placed the order. Honestly, it's night and day different than it was at the beginning of this year even. I was told for over a year that it'd be here "in a few months" and I had a non-refundable deposit. It's not the same as going into a dealership and ordering a car that'll be here in 6 weeks.

For me, after nearly 3 years I just had reached a point where Lotus had exceeded the maximum allowable number of broken promises. I sincerely hope the new owner has good luck with the car, but I have no regrets about letting it go. There's being patient, and then there's being exploited, and I felt like I was on the wrong side of the line. Will never deal with the company again.

For me, after nearly 3 years I just had reached a point where Lotus had exceeded the maximum allowable number of broken promises. I sincerely hope the new owner has good luck with the car, but I have no regrets about letting it go. There's being patient, and then there's being exploited, and I felt like I was on the wrong side of the line. Will never deal with the company again.
I understand your frustration, but lotus has always been a small business with big dreams. I understood from the start it was going to take time. Not 3 years!
However I have had zero problems and my dealership ( Houston ) was kind and supportive throughout the process…

I don’t want a McLaren, Ferrari just yet so this is the best alternative. Aston Martin, Jaguar are nice but not sexy enough. I have a few Porsche’s so it’s ok getting something a little more questionable.. However the Emra has exceded my expectations.

The wait is a hard pill to swallow and if your dealership wasn’t kind and understanding then.. Walking away makes sense..
at the end of the day be happy with your choice 😀

The 812 GTS and G550 both took 2 years from ordering to be delivered. Emira was 2.75 years. You guys don't even want to know what the watch world is like. Good things come to those that wait!

If Lotus was smart they would have not made public the supplier and certification delays, just chalk it up to low volume manufacturer and excessive demand causing long lead times. Change the narrative from disorganization and inexperience to everyone wanting what they can't have. Nobody is canceling their name for a Daytona because they didn't get it fast enough...

The 812 GTS and G550 both took 2 years from ordering to be delivered. Emira was 2.75 years. You guys don't even want to know what the watch world is like. Good things come to those that wait!

If Lotus was smart they would have not made public the supplier and certification delays, just chalk it up to low volume manufacturer and excessive demand causing long lead times. Change the narrative from disorganization and inexperience to everyone wanting what they can't have. Nobody is canceling their name for a Daytona because they didn't get it fast enough...
The Ferrari I would wait for. Not sure if you mean the Gulfstream or the MB. The Gulfstream I would wait. The Mercedes is a waste of space. Watches are more of a see it and buy it experience for me. Don’t want to wait on something that may turn out to suck, simply to use as a collector piece. As far as Lotus goes, you basically recommend they should have been disingenuous or lie? They did both in spades already as far as I’m concerned.

No one "needs" an Emira. Its a 2nd, 3rd or umpteenth car. So what if there's a wait and Lotus' delivery process has been disappointing. I look at it this way. ICE cars are dying and the Emira is the end of an era. To have the last ICE Lotus is worth the wait. Besides my other several cars work just fine. Its not a hardship to wait for the Emira to arrive.

Attachments

• Emira Desktop 4.jpeg
    Emira Desktop 4.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 37
No one "needs" an Emira. Its a 2nd, 3rd or umpteenth car. So what if there's a wait and Lotus' delivery process has been disappointing. I look at it this way. ICE cars are dying and the Emira is the end of an era. To have the last ICE Lotus is worth the wait. Besides my other several cars work just fine. Its not a hardship to wait for the Emira to arrive.
True, the Emira may be a 3rd or 4th car......a 5th for me. I have had 5 Lotus cars in the past and just loved the looks and size of the Emira. I was an I4 enthusiast and placed a deposit on an I4 three tears ago ( accidental sp error...years .... but how true ). The first and only I4 deposit at my dealer, Lotus of Western NY.
Wait, Wait and wait some more....... interspersed by breaking news every now and then, mostly incorrect.
When I found out last fall that the US I4 was going to be delayed until the summer of 2025, I cracked and called Matt, my dealer and decided time was slipping away......just couldn't bear the thought of waiting another year or more for an I4. So, i switched to the FE V6. My V6 came in equipped as ordered 2 weeks ago. At the same time I learned Lotus was "SAYING" US I4 production was going to start this Sept and possibly I could have the car for this Winter in Florida.
The dilema; take the V6 NOW or wait a few more months to get what I really wanted all along....the I4 with 8 speed DCT. I had already waited almost 3 yrs so I reasoned what's another 4-5 months. AND obviously the price of the Emira had increased during that period from screaming bargain to WHAT !! ......lets just say, no longer a screaming bargain .....no longer even a bargain......but serious money. So I decided to turn down the V6 and if I was now to spend that much money, I was going to wait for exactly what I wanted all along....the I4. Matt, the dealer, was very understanding and placed the order for the FE I4.
So Lotus of Western NY has an orphaned V6 to sell. Good for someone else who comes late to the party.
For a deposit on a car 2-3 years ago you must realize life changes in 2-3 years.....supply chain disruptions change over 2-3 years....prices change in 2-3 years...options for other sports cars change in 2-3 years.
I think given the circumstances , there are relatively few orphaned or almost new Emiras for sale. Of course, you have those hustlers thinking they would flip their Emira for a profit ........hope they lose their rears. But it is very understandable to me. that given the VERY long wait from order to actually seeing the cars even reach our shores, and the price increases , that a fair number of depositors would change their minds.
Of course, your mileage may vary !

Lotus took to long to get the car to the USA. Now the sports car market is slowing a little verses everyone getting ADM for the cars. I bet about 25% of the deposits are flippers and 75% are truly wanting the car. Lotus will be making to many compared to past versions, this could hurt future resale.

Last edited:
Weird I looked up Autotrader earlier and saw no private sales within 500 miles of New England. There are cars on there, but they are all at dealers and priced as new FE 2.0 so I assume they are dealer to-be-delivered.

An Elise as your daily for nine years?! If I was Lotus I would give you a free Emira in exchange for signing a medical waiver! Guessing you either have a back doctor on speed dial or are a circus contortionist by profession.
I drove my Elise for 14 years, as a daily summer car.

Doesn't matter if the owner never intends to sell. Things can certainly change but I see no viable alternative to the Emira now or ever esp given the trend towards electrification.
That is great news, anytime you spend that much money on a car you should be happy with your decision.

If you buy a new driver with an eye to it as a financial instrument, you're on the path to disppointment. Lotus generally do fairly well in the depreciation department but you don't need an MBA to know new cars are losers. Emira is best played as a passion deal. Paying an ADM was never going to make sense a year later with this class of car. Flippers such as there may be were doomed from the start. Buy, drive, enjoy and pay for the privilege. It's the way of things. If you enjoy it, you're golden.

Emiras continue to pop-up on sales site - but aren't making their target min bids-

2024 Lotus Emira First Edition V6 6-Speed
Sugar Land, Texas, USA | at Bring a Trailer Auctions
Not Sold | $89,600 (high bid)

great info here - https://www.classic.com/m/lotus/emira/
I think it says something about the car market in the current uncertain economy rather than what it specifically says about the emira.

At least In this case I don't believe it's the car market, rather it's that specific Emira BAT listing with a Magma Red exterior matched to a red interior........freaking horrible.

The car market has been plummeting. Just look at the latest auction.

LFA = $498,000? Those were scratching near $1mm not that long ago.
P1 = $929,000? Those were $1.2mm+.
McLaren Elva = $852,000.

LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale on C&B only hit the $170,000 and didn't make reserve. Those were $225,000 about 2-3 years ago.

Porsche GT4's were hitting $160,000 in 2021/2022 and are now at around $120,000

McLaren Elva = $852,000.

LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale on C&B only hit the $170,000 and didn't make reserve. Those were $225,000 about 2-3 years ago.

Yep market taking a hit, everyone who borrowed against their house and all the crazy money is gone. My new Z06 arrived yesterday same car this time in 2023 was getting 30 to 50k over, now MSRP or a little below depending on build..

Last edited:

McLaren Elva = $852,000.

Not certain about the remainder, but I have a vested interest in the market for P-cars. The GT4s actually have been gaining value where the GT4 RSs have been losing ground. Probably a function of them no longer being made. A quick search nationwide (dealers only) shows only 4 out of 27 cars available dipping their toes into the 120k waters. While they had lost some value around a year ago, the average price now runs at 143k, and that is for moderately specced samples. I don’t bother with private sale listings as they usually can’t demonstrate their provenance and short of doing your own in depth PPI which is necessary, there is a reason they are selling cheaper.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back