• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

2GR Exhaust Burbles On Overrun

While I don't really mind the burble tune, if I had the choice I would remove it. I personally like real engine noises and not pre-programmed inefficiencies just for extra theater. Not really an issue either way though. The stock exhaust with the valve open is almost perfect otherwise.
I get it. But at the same time, you could potentially say the same thing about the exhaust tone.

What is the "natural tone" of the 2GR? What if the most efficient exhaust sounds like a trashy open header honda civic? OK...we've decided we don't want open header because its just SO LOUD. Cool..so now we want to control how loud it is, how do you decide which parts should be quieter?

Is that natural? Synthetic? Engineered? Theater?

Burbles in the exhaust is certainly something of a trend. However, does it have a performance based intention? What if the burble is a side-effect of a timing mechanism to prevent soot buildup on the exhaust valve? What if you see it in motorsport more because it's actually an 'easy' way to ensure that throttle response stays high, that there's not this timing 'gap' between on-off throttle. So you get off throttle but immediately back on and without this timing 'trick' (which results in burble) there's a delay in the first firing sequence?

I'm not saying any of these things are true. Likely burbles are just a result of 'over fueling' on decel, because for aftermarket/motorsport its better and safer to be rich than lean. But... many people did buy the car because of the theater. Maybe you disagree with this particular aspect, but so too could someone dislike the car because of how it looks.

Sort of what you're implying above, there's no such thing as the "natural" state of an engine.

It's whatever the engineers want it to be and do.
I think that sums it up well.

After all, there is no spoon!

1726697759734.png

Last edited:
I get it. But at the same time, you could potentially say the same thing about the exhaust tone.

What is the "natural tone" of the 2GR? What if the most efficient exhaust sounds like a trashy open header honda civic? OK...we've decided we don't want open header because its just SO LOUD. Cool..so now we want to control how loud it is, how do you decide which parts should be quieter?

Is that natural? Synthetic? Engineered? Theater?

Burbles in the exhaust is certainly something of a trend. However, does it have a performance based intention? What if the burble is a side-effect of a timing mechanism to prevent soot buildup on the exhaust valve? What if you see it in motorsport more because it's actually an 'easy' way to ensure that throttle response stays high, that there's not this timing 'gap' between on-off throttle. So you get off throttle but immediately back on and without this timing 'trick' (which results in burble) there's a delay in the first firing sequence?

I'm not saying any of these things are true. Likely burbles are just a result of 'over fueling' on decel, because for aftermarket/motorsport its better and safer to be rich than lean. But... many people did buy the car because of the theater. Maybe you disagree with this particular aspect, but so too could someone dislike the car because of how it looks.
Pops and burbles don’t need to happen with a modern street computerized engine. Injector cutoff is instantaneous. It’s added back in to some cars to bring back the overrun sound and when done reasonably, the tiny amount of additional unburned fuel they let pass into the hot exhaust to make the burble doesn’t hurt anything. I think BMW overdid it with the M cars but luckily it could be coded out with Bimmerlink.

I personally like the amount that Lotus allows and for me adds to the whole experience.

I'm not sure if this video will help decide anything, but it has a lot of exhaust sounds.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back