• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Baggy seat base

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think we kinda knew this but this doesn't bode well. That's at 400mls. The leather itself feels a nice quality so wonder if it's more an internal padding issue or the way it's put together
20230320_083930.jpg

Well, nappa leather will give.

You'd have to compare this many others to see if this happens on all of the leather cars.
If it does, then it is just how it is. If not, then they didn't stitch it perfectly perhaps.

I'm more worried that my seats will immediately form an "ass dent" very similar to the one in my couch (it must be memory foam)........

I remember when I bought my first M100 new in 1990 and the same thing happened to my leather drivers seat . The salesman from the London Lotus Centre said it’s because of my weight ! I weighed 10 stone at the time and looked in need of a jolly good dinner according to my wife!

I remember when I bought my first M100 new in 1990 and the same thing happened to my leather drivers seat . The salesman from the London Lotus Centre said it’s because of my weight ! I weighed 10 stone at the time and looked in need of a jolly good dinner according to my wife
he probably thought you needed to add lightness

Should not happen on a car in this price range no matter what you weigh.

I'd be back at the dealer, register a complaint, and asking for a fix.

👍

Not good. Between the base and the sides, that seat look like it has 40k miles on it.

I did a google search to see if this is abnormal for new cars with leather. There is tons of posts across all brands about saggy leather seats. Not a scientific approach but it seems the majority of people were saying it is normal for high quality leather. There are various methods to remedy. The one method I read about is a damp cotton cloth and a iron to steam the leather. To avoid squashing the side bolster I pay attention to how I enter and exit. Putting my hand down to avoid smashing the seat bottom side bolster. Not defending the sag but it does seem to be part of leather seats maybe just not this quick.

Last edited:
No offense to the folks here, but I honestly think that most folks just don't have a lot of experience with genuinely high-end leather. It stretches in the hand, it's a supple and pliable thing.

I honestly can't get my head around the idea of a high quality leather good that wouldn't stretch at all under the weight of a human body. It would have to be insanely thick to do that, like horse saddle thick.

No offense to the folks here, but I honestly think that most folks just don't have a lot of experience with genuinely high-end leather. It stretches in the hand, it's a supple and pliable thing.

I honestly can't get my head around the idea of a high quality leather good that wouldn't stretch at all under the weight of a human body. It would have to be insanely thick to do that, like horse saddle thick.
Well the seat base on my Ferrari carbon buckets was fine after 20k mls but maybe I need to go more high end 🤔🤣

20210109_130247.jpg

The side bolster looks pretty haggard or is it just the picture?

Well the seat base on my Ferrari carbon buckets was fine after 20k mls but maybe I need to go more high end 🤔🤣

View attachment 24127
That is a racing bucket, not really the same type of cushion. That seat looks to be a much thicker leather and probably doesn't have much give or stretch to it by comparison.

I think a racing bucket that uses the same type of leather Lotus has chosen for the Emira would probably not show the wrinkle like you are seeing. Racing buckets just don't have as much squish to them, so the leather is better supported.

That is a racing bucket, not really the same type of cushion. That seat looks to be a much thicker leather and probably doesn't have much give or stretch to it by comparison.

I think a racing bucket that uses the same type of leather Lotus has chosen for the Emira would probably not show the wrinkle like you are seeing. Racing buckets just don't have as much squish to them, so the leather is better supported.
I really don't understand the defence here. The seat in the Emira is bagging after 400 miles but yet you choose to assume people don't understand how leather works rather than agree that it's unacceptable.

I've had cars with Nappa leather and after 60k miles they weren't bagged......and they weren't bucket seats and they were in a Merc, so why is it that the Lotus leather is so different?

If you google search it is a very common effect of high quality leather. The higher the quality leather the more it will sag. Not defending but it has to be true because I read it on the internet.

If you google search it is a very common effect of high quality leather. The higher the quality leather the more it will sag. Not defending but it has to be true because I read it on the internet.
Ahh, that's where I'm going wrong. I'll forget my real life experiences in future and get the true answer I need from google :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back