• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Baggy seat base

Well it probably is easier for you to get in and out at 6'2". At my height, I have to scooch the seat up all the way just to get the clutch pushed in. Then getting out is a bit awkward cause the steering wheel is right there, so seat needs to be scooched back a bit. Then getting short legs up and over the bolsters.
Just not my idea of fun if there are other options. To each his own. Again, they do look amazing!
That makes sense! Typical man reply from me only thinking about myself!

For comparison, here are the leather seats in my 2017 GTI. Just hit 37k miles.

20201121_120401.jpg

20200608_200611.jpg

Nice. I count 7 wrinkles. How is the comfort?
They are actually better than in the picture.
Have done many long trips, more than 600 kms per day, and suffering low back from long time, they fit like a glove.
Today I drove briefly my Emira, and the seats in Alcantara/Leather are good, but I will need a few more times to find the right position.

Ahh, that's where I'm going wrong. I'll forget my real life experiences in future and get the true answer I need from google :ROFLMAO:
That’s why Mercedes uses fake leather. The support affects the sag. Lotus wanted to make the seats super comfortable and they forgot to account for leather sag. Wonder if I should go with Alcantara after all…since it’s basically bean bag chair covering.

This was discussed over a year ago. It has to do with Nappa Leather and the seam line shape design. Audi had the same issue with the Mk2TT and R8 seats.
A straight seam will not stretch as much as a shaped... also recovery is more difficult.

Honestly they should have just quilted it. It avoids this issue by doing so.

Just to keep it going:
2014 Turbo S, 18 way seats, 52k miles
C8599F20-BD5A-442D-AD93-92FAA976E021.jpeg

2018 Hellcat Challenger w/Nappa leather. 18k miles. Husband is 6'3" and 265lbs
9EBCFB05-D646-4FD0-805E-BC89044B63DF.jpeg

I just test drove an Emira today in Wilmington, NC and I'll write my full review in the test drives thread. However, one thing I checked since I had read this thread were the condition of the red leather seats. This car had 4K miles on it and has been driven by probably hundreds of people over the past year given that it's a demo. It had red leather seats and they looked like new with no bagginess at all. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the seats but it was encouraging to see such a heavily used car (albeit still relatively new age-wise) handling it just fine. I would have to wager a year of being a demo car (people getting in and out at least a dozen times a day in both seats) is probably similar to at least several years of even a daily driven one by a single person.

I hope that helps alleviate some fears of the leather seats. It was a non-issue on the one I saw today.

I just test drove an Emira today in Wilmington, NC and I'll write my full review in the test drives thread. However, one thing I checked since I had read this thread were the condition of the red leather seats. This car had 4K miles on it and has been driven by probably hundreds of people over the past year given that it's a demo. It had red leather seats and they looked like new with no bagginess at all. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the seats but it was encouraging to see such a heavily used car (albeit still relatively new age-wise) handling it just fine. I would have to wager a year of being a demo car (people getting in and out at least a dozen times a day in both seats) is probably similar to at least several years of even a daily driven one by a single person.

I hope that helps alleviate some fears of the leather seats. It was a non-issue on the one I saw today.
In that case I’d say a trip to the dealer is in order for the OP. Perhaps the base wasn’t secured correctly or stretched properly.

In that case I’d say a trip to the dealer is in order for the OP. Perhaps the base wasn’t secured correctly or stretched properly.
I'm at the dealer in the morning for the airbag light so will mention it

I'm at the dealer in the morning for the airbag light so will mention it
Really appreciate the updates. It takes time to post and helps those waiting on their cars to get an idea of what issues to expect, the ease or difficulty of the fix, and last but not least, the enjoyment one gets from owning and driving an Emira.

Really appreciate the updates. It takes time to post and helps those waiting on their cars to get an idea of what issues to expect, the ease or difficulty of the fix, and last but not least, the enjoyment one gets from owning and driving an Emira.
Just in case I went ahead and spec mine with Alcantara. I’ve never had it, I do like that it’s breathable and the color stitching around the wheel wells and the dash does look cool. It’s dark but aftermarket ambient lighting can fix that right up

Any updates on the leather/interior?
The drivers seat appears to have got no worse, I'll grab a pic later.
The leather does seem to pick up clothing die easily, I need to put a blocker on it really although it cleans up easily enough

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back