• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Baggy seat base

Look I'm not engaged in the conversation to defend Lotus here. I'm just saying the expectation that people have for a seat made of high quality leather (with a plush cushion underneath it) to never stretch or deform with use just seems misplaced. If you go into a high-end leather shop and pick up a $1,000 soft leather bag, you'll see that it has stretch.

The thing about a racing bucket seat is that with the thinner pad and more rigid form, it is probably a much better application for this high grade of leather. The Emira seat has a thick pad, so I expect it will show some signs of use, a bit like a nice leather couch or armchair.

Although it is unsightly I agree with you. The side effect of a plush leather seat. My R8 leather sagged and I replaced the covers. So far they are holding up but it is just a weekend joy ride car.

Look I'm not engaged in the conversation to defend Lotus here. I'm just saying the expectation that people have for a seat made of high quality leather (with a plush cushion underneath it) to never stretch or deform with use just seems misplaced. If you go into a high-end leather shop and pick up a $1,000 soft leather bag, you'll see that it has stretch.

The thing about a racing bucket seat is that with the thinner pad and more rigid form, it is probably a much better application for this high grade of leather. The Emira seat has a thick pad, so I expect it will show some signs of use, a bit like a nice leather couch or armchair.
What exactly is plush about the cushion in the Emira though? Have you sat in one?....They didn't feel very soft or pliable to me.

I think the Emira seats are more GT and less race. More plush for the masses. Compare them to Evora seat even. More padding equals more sagging.

What exactly is plush about the cushion in the Emira though? Have you sat in one?....They didn't feel very soft or pliable to me.
Yes, I've sat in more than one, and I've driven it. But you can see how it's made from the photos just as well. The leather is wrapped over a cushion that looks like it may be over an inch thick in places.

tanseat-in-factory.jpg

I have a Volvo XC90 - a Geely product - and 90k miles later the Napa Leather looks perfect. Maybe that should ask their parent how to do it right?

Lotus is working class artisinal. They're inherently more likely to play fast and loose with tolerances vs. larger operations.

Bit of wear nothing much to say they're a deep sided bucket and 12yrs old

That is a racing bucket, not really the same type of cushion. That seat looks to be a much thicker leather and probably doesn't have much give or stretch to it by comparison.

I think a racing bucket that uses the same type of leather Lotus has chosen for the Emira would probably not show the wrinkle like you are seeing. Racing buckets just don't have as much squish to them, so the leather is better supported.
OK so more of a direct comparison, my last two porsches have had Alcantara so not relevant ( although i could reference the half a doozen new porsches with leather ive bought over the years) but in recent years I've had a brand new M4 and rs5 and neither of their seats have looked anything but brand new when selling.
I love my emira and on the scale of things it's not a major issue for me but it's definitely a Chink in the armour

Last edited:
Another owner not happy with his seats on Insta after 300 miles - Ive seen the bag on quite a few photos so don’t think your an isolated case unfortunately, maybe more what will naturally happen with the seats

Attachments

• BB9BC382-89E9-48E0-B0EE-47C701252D99.jpeg
    BB9BC382-89E9-48E0-B0EE-47C701252D99.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 89D37807-85FB-4829-A835-FB068623078A.jpeg
    89D37807-85FB-4829-A835-FB068623078A.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 97
I imagine the diamond stitch might help a little, my rs5 had the same pattern
Yearh totally agree design of the seat area will have a bearing for sure - wonder if they will take stock of positives and areas for improvements that maybe can tweak / improve going forward with future iterations of the car

Well, nappa leather will give.

You'd have to compare this many others to see if this happens on all of the leather cars.
If it does, then it is just how it is. If not, then they didn't stitch it perfectly perhaps.
Bro, my car does not look this bad at 200000km.

2009 TT, can take a picture later if you want to see it.

EDIT: Okay ... I have to apologize. It does not look better but felt it looked like new until 120k.
That seat looks great! And it's supposed to be a little deformed with use, it's leather and that's one of the characteristics of the material.

What do you all think about the Alcantara trimmed seats? Will they show a similar behaviour or won't it be a problem as Alcantara has a more elastic behaviour?

What do you all think about the Alcantara trimmed seats? Will they show a similar behaviour or won't it be a problem as Alcantara has a more elastic behaviour?
I think Alcantara will spring back since it's a textile. It will act like a cloth seat.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back