Dark Verdant Lotus Emira Photo Thread

Nice, thanks for the share! I follow that guy on Instagram; he's an amazing car photographer.

Looks nice, but a couple of things I noticed right away:

-The orange peel is abysmal
-The passenger seat had some pretty major wrinkles in the leather by the shoulder area
-The driver seat had some loose leather right where your ass sits

The leather parts aren't a deal breaker, but the orange peel is pretty disappointing. Especially, how Lotus have gone on about their fancy new paint booth.

-The passenger seat had some pretty major wrinkles in the leather by the shoulder area

The leather parts aren't a deal breaker, but the orange peel is pretty disappointing. Especially, how Lotus have gone on about their fancy new paint booth.
I was at a Porsche dealership over the weekend; there was a brand new Guards Red GT4 RS sitting on the sales floor, and it had orange peel.

Let's focus on the positives!

7agn7h.jpg

Nice! I'm wondering why it would be delivered to street parking. Perhaps the owner spent all his money on the car after selling his house?😏
That appears to be a pretty expensive part of London, so I think the owner can probably afford a lot of things but chooses to live there for reasons. We also don't know if they have a garage tucked away somewhere that's less friendly than the street for a truck delivery. Lots of little alleyways in London.

[edit] - found it, the delivery was in Porchester Square, W2. That's in a lovely area called Bayswater that's just north of Kensington Gardens, tucked between Paddington Station to the east and Notting Hill to the west. Draw your own conclusions. :ROFLMAO:

All modern paints (water based, low VOC) develop orange peel during the curing process, it's just part of the deal when you eliminate oil from the process. No mainstream manufacturer that I am aware of performs post-manufacturing paint correction to eliminate this, because the process cost would be immense and the risk of damaging a brand new car's finish through simple error would be high.

I suspect only a few of the very highest end marques even attempt that sort of "concours ready" paint prep on new vehicles, and it would certainly be restricted to very, very expensive products to justify something like that.

Last edited:
That appears to be a pretty expensive part of London, so I think the owner can probably afford a lot of things but chooses to live there for reasons. We also don't know if they have a garage tucked away somewhere that's less friendly than the street for a truck delivery. Lots of little alleyways in London.

[edit] - found it, the delivery was in Porchester Square, W2. That's in a lovely area called Bayswater that's just north of Kensington Gardens, tucked between Paddington Station to the east and Notting Hill to the west. Draw your own conclusions. :ROFLMAO:

All modern paints (water based, low VOC) develop orange peel during the curing process, it's just part of the deal when you eliminate oil from the process. No mainstream manufacturer that I am aware of performs post-manufacturing paint correction to eliminate this, because the process cost would be immense and the risk of damaging a brand new car's finish through simple error would be high.

I suspect only a few of the very highest end marques even attempt that sort of "concours ready" paint prep on new vehicles, and it would certainly be restricted to very, very expensive products to justify something like that.
Is paint correction something that is done through a reputable detailer? I am planning to have my car wrapped in PPF & ceramic coated. Should paint correction be a necessary step before film is applied?

Is paint correction something that is done through a reputable detailer? I am planning to have my car wrapped in PPF & ceramic coated. Should paint correction be a necessary step before film is applied?
Typically it's the same people who would be doing your PPF and ceramic work. Talk to your detailer about the options that are available. It's not strictly necessary but it will definitely improve the result. I'll be having full paint correction done if possible before applying PPF.

Typically it's the same people who would be doing your PPF and ceramic work. Talk to your detailer about the options that are available. It's not strictly necessary but it will definitely improve the result. I'll be having full paint correction done if possible before applying PPF.
You can totally do it yourself with some patience and a orbital machine or whatever they are called (Griots garage has some decent ones). Not rocket science whatsoever. The PPF does seem involved.

You can totally do it yourself with some patience and a orbital machine or whatever they are called (Griots garage has some decent ones). Not rocket science whatsoever. The PPF does seem involved.
I would totally do that if I had significant experience and skill in that specific thing. I've used an orbital and I've done some polishing before, so I'd YOLO it on a different car that I wasn't planning to keep forever.

But since the outcome is quite important to me on this particular vehicle, I'm willing to pay a professional for a professional result.

I've spent a decent amount of years dabbling in car detailing as a hobby. Now I just leave it all to professionals. Orange peel in particular is not something that is easily tackled by someone with no experience. Using an orbital yourself, when done properly can remove swirls, contamination and def get your paint in better condition. But orange peel correction requires a lot more of the clear coat being removed and is typically done with color sanding, not something I'd recommend doing yourself.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back