• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira vs. GT4 (and side topic: disappointing laptimes of the emira)

Foxy87

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there

I am new here, located in switzerland and looking for a new mid engine sportscar. I was looking at the 981/718Gt4 and the Emira, which I think just looks great and I have always been a Lotus fan. I testdrove the Emira and the GT4 and would like to share my impressions (yes I know the direct competitor would be the GTS 4.0 and not the GT4):

Brief background so you can place this right: I had a Cayman R from 2016-2018 and also drove various other vehicles sporadically on the track, but I have never driven a Porsche GT vehicle until now. I also drove the Exige S V6 at the time, but it was too spartan for me and felt too much like a tinker's shack (sorry, is that the right expression😂). Since the 981 GT4 was introduced, that was kind of a dream car for me. Even though I have always been a Lotus fan. Because of family, children etc. it never came true until now. Now I wanted to tackle the matter again, and the 718 GT4 has always excited me too. However, I have never driven either of the two cars.

Well, I approached the matter with an open mind and wanted to drive the Emira as well, because I like it visually very much, but secretly the GT4 was my favorite. I was able to drive the Emira V6 only for about 40 min and the 718 GT4 for about 1h. My impressions are the following:

EMIRA:
When I finally drove a manual again after x years, it was really a revelation. I had so much fun with the car that I was partly just laughing. Pure joy. Visually outside and also inside (!) for MY taste very nicely done. Everything solid and high quality, nothing creaks, nothing looks cheap, really good. The electric seats electric of course a shame and no comparison to the buckets in the GT4.
The sound was very good and very present. Maybe partly artificial with the crackles, but I still liked it very much. I also really like the supercharger noise and the punch of the engine is really good in my opinion. The car certainly is not overpowered, but runs quite well I would say- The manual transmission is not as precise as in the GT4, but feels more mechanical, it takes more force to engage the gears. Shifting is not as fast as in the GT4 though. The clutch pedal was also a little (not much) firmer then the GT4s. The car makes a very "aggressive" driving impression - sound combined with the engine characteristics. The response is very good thanks to the supercharger and as mentioned there is always enough punch. When you get off the pedal after full throttle, you really nod forward when the boost stops. The suspension is sporty (it was the sport version, not the tour version) but not too harsh. The only thing I didn't like as much was the turn-in response. To me it felt slightly undefined and a bit spongy, if I can put it that way, even more so compared to the GT4. But it was the Goodyear tires mounted and not the Cup 2. The different driving modes are especially noticeable in the sound and the flap exhaust. Visually, the car is very striking. I had a lot of fun and got out with a huge grin on my face. For me a very emotional car. Even if I know that it is an old Toyota engine, I can not really say anything bad about it.

GT4:
I was honestly of the opinion that if I had so much fun in the Lotus, the GT4 will blow me away, because its clearly the faster and more precise car, which has already shown various tests, where the Lotus itself against the GTS 4.0 has actually always (just) drawn the short straw. But contrary to my expectations for ME personally felt not the case. And I can tell you exactly why I liked the Emira better then the GT4: Because of the extremely long gear ratios, you never really have to shift at all, unlike the Lotus, and of course you always have to keep the naturally aspirated engine revving. If you don't want to stand with one foot in jail, you can't really go beyond 2nd gear (in CH --> from 100 km/h on you should lift your foot slowly, otherwise it's gonna get expensive...) and if you are in 3rd or even 4th gear, the punch is simply missing. It feels like the GT4 has less punch in the mid-range than the Lotus, which reinforces the impression (but is understandable due to the supercharger). However, if you really drive hard the car has such a high limit range that this just does not really make sense for me in outside of a track. That is to say: The GT4 is clearly the faster car and if I were to drive it mainly on the track, then the GT4 would be my first choice. But if I want to have fun outside the track, then it is the Lotus, which gave me personally more pleasure, even if the chassis of the GT4 and especially the turn-in behavior of the GT4 was better. Steering I didnt feel a real difference in the two vehicles, although several reviews described that the steering of the Emira is superior to the Cayman ... Since I really only listened to my inner sense of fun, I was then unfortunately somewhat disappointed due to the high expectations compared to the Lotus. The Emira was the clear winner in the fun departement!

Even though I liked the Emira very much, there is one caveat that really bugs me. The published laptimes for the Emira so far are really bad to be honest. There are two Laptimes published so far. German Magazin on Lausitzring and Italian Magazin on Varaino Testtrack and both times are very underwhelming compared to other cars. On Lausitzring the car was slower then a Supra and on the italian Track the Emira was slower than a Yaris GR…

I know tracktimes shouldnt be that important or matter that much when the car made fun on the streets but I just cant get my head around it. What do you guys think about it? Dont you think its a big deal having a car looking like a supercar but being slower then a Toyota Yaris…?

thanks, really looking forward to your opinions

cheers

Attachments

• 6ECAB3B4-14A1-41C6-B788-6D928C64A058.jpeg
    6ECAB3B4-14A1-41C6-B788-6D928C64A058.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 469FEB56-1FAD-4486-AD02-32F4E7FC90C9.jpeg
    469FEB56-1FAD-4486-AD02-32F4E7FC90C9.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 219
  • F899034C-C9F9-425D-8FA3-1F83F919648D.jpeg
    F899034C-C9F9-425D-8FA3-1F83F919648D.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
It may be slower but it’s a much better drive than the manual supra. I may still have one in the future but couldn’t pick it over the emira

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad english by the way. I wrote it in german for a different (german) forum and then didnt want to rewrite it in english so I just put it through DEEPL…

Welcome to the forum @Foxy87 - Excellent first post!!

I was actually shopping for a 981 GT4 for years before the Emira was unveiled in summer 2021. Right now, I wish I bought a GT4 for two obvious reasons: GT4 prices skyrocketed during the pandemic and my Emira is still not here. :sneaky:

I actually spent time driving a 718 GT4 this past weekend and I agree with you on everything. It's a fantastic and very solid car, but it needs to be revved out. I revved out 2nd gear to ~8k and was at 80MPH! Crazy!!

And yes, the laptimes are important to me. Since "Lotus has never been about 0-60 times" then they should at least throw down some respectable laptimes. The car is underpowered and it shows in 2023, but it sure looks good....

Emira is the more "fun" daily sports car vs the GT4.

GT4 is the more serious thoroughbred sportscar between the two. When you are really pushing the two cars, the GT4 will be the one you want to be in. For the spirited drive on B roads or through the streets in a city the Emira will be a better option. That's how I felt after driving it at least.

Tinker’s shack is my new favorite expression.

I suspect the turn-in can be improved on Emira with some alignment tweaks, which is a very popular mod on Elise/Exige. Basically Lotus tunes a bit more center tracking and a bit more understeer. I’ve driven Elise and Exige before and after these alignment adjustments and turn-in goes from good to lazer-sharp amazing.

The "fun" aspect cannot be overstated. I've driven a McLaren 570S and Ferrari 488 GTB on a track, and the 570S for over 200 miles on the street, yet after hopping into my MX5 (6 speed manual) and going for a spin, I had just as much fun, if not more than I did with any of the 8 sportscars I have rented. Having insane power for rocketing up a hill or past a hotshot Tesla is lots of fun, but only for a brief amount of time. The fun I have with a light sportscar with lots of steering feel and upgraded suspension is for a far longer time period.
The other massive advantage is the Emira' looks. It may not be exotic car-fast, but to 99% of onlookers, it is as fast or faster. That, in of itself is an aspect I am looking forward to.

Nice post and yes I can hear what you are saying about getting your head around slow lap times but I can't understand it. But that is just me, there are many people that this is a valid concern. I've been to alot of cars & coffees, car meets, autocross, etc and not once did anyone ever talk about lap times. For me, I'm more upset that the yellow calipers don't match the center caps :))))) Seriously though, it is underpowered and hopefully future variants will address but I do wish this version had 30-50 more ponies.

Nice post and yes I can hear what you are saying about getting your head around slow lap times but I can't understand it. But that is just me, there are many people that this is a valid concern. I've been to alot of cars & coffees, car meets, autocross, etc and not once did anyone ever talk about lap times. For me, I'm more upset that the yellow calipers don't match the center caps :))))) Seriously though, it is underpowered and hopefully future variants will address but I do wish this version had 30-50 more ponies.
I thought they did change the color to match?

Great post. Welcome.

I only think people who are serious track junkies should worry about lap times. And there are better cars (including other Lotuses) for track junkies than a stock Emira including GT4s.

I have a GR4 and am not at all surprised it’s quicker than a V6 FE round a track (it is a wee beast) but it would be a totally different experience in both cars - front engined four wheel drive vs mid rear and a much lower experience in the Emira than the sit up and beg driving position in the Yaris. Plus whilst I don’t think the Emira sounds amazing it will sound a lot better than the Yaris !

I am going to take my Emira slot because it’s different to all those cars. And I’ll have a lot of fun (I hope) not going particularly fast. Like Switzerland, you take your chances speeding in the UK now !

Last edited:
An Emira on Sport/Cup2s with a proper track alignment will turn lap times that are much better than these magazine tests.

I'm always frustrated by journalists doing anything on track. They turn up in some clapped out press car that has hit a curb, don't check or adjust a single alignment setting, barely even check the tire pressure, and then go turn a cursory lap time.

Then they publish the number as though that's some definitive value that the car is capable of, rather than what that one random journalist was able to do with his questionable skill level and preparation on a random Tuesday.

We will see what the Emira can do once really competent drivers start putting down lap times with them in properly set up cars. It took a few years for folks to fully ignore the negative journalist prattle about the Evora and realize that it was an exceptional driving platform, and I expect the Emira to be no different.

The "fun" aspect cannot be overstated. I've driven a McLaren 570S and Ferrari 488 GTB on a track, and the 570S for over 200 miles on the street, yet after hopping into my MX5 (6 speed manual) and going for a spin, I had just as much fun, if not more than I did with any of the 8 sportscars I have rented. Having insane power for rocketing up a hill or past a hotshot Tesla is lots of fun, but only for a brief amount of time. The fun I have with a light sportscar with lots of steering feel and upgraded suspension is for a far longer time period.
The other massive advantage is the Emira' looks. It may not be exotic car-fast, but to 99% of onlookers, it is as fast or faster. That, in of itself is an aspect I am looking forward to.
Hmm… pretend being fast by looking fast but effectively being slow is not my cup of tea. To be honest I even find it a bit silly…
An Emira on Sport/Cup2s with a proper track alignment will turn lap times that are much better than these magazine tests.

I'm always frustrated by journalists doing anything on track. They turn up in some clapped out press car that has hit a curb, don't check or adjust a single alignment setting, barely even check the tire pressure, and then go turn a cursory lap time.

Then they publish the number as though that's some definitive value that the car is capable of, rather than what that one random journalist was able to do with his questionable skill level and preparation on a random Tuesday.

We will see what the Emira can do once really competent drivers start putting down lap times with them in properly set up cars. It took a few years for folks to fully ignore the negative journalist prattle about the Evora and realize that it was an exceptional driving platform, and I expect the Emira to be no different.
Okay and why would it be different for other cars? This applies to all cars equally (maybe except porsche who is sending a team to make sure to achieve the best possible laptimes). So in the end, the Emira just shows poor laptimes so far and I really really really hope this is going to change!

I know its absolutely silly but it would honestly keep me from buying the car, even though it was great fun on b-roads…

I am very looking forward to SportAutos Supertest on nürburgring and Hockenheimring and compare it to equal sportscars. The Evora 400 put down a 7:59 (on UHP) while a 981 GT4 ran a 7:42 (7:32 for 718 GT4). The Exige S V6 had 7:53 and the 380 Cup 7:48 (all numbers on same driver). To be honest, seeing the laptimes so far I could imagine the Emira would even have a hard time beating that Evora time…

Last edited:
Okay and why would it be different for other cars? This applies to all cars equally (maybe except porsche who is sending a team to make shure to achieve the best possible laptimes). So in the end, the Emira just shows poor laptimes so far and I really really really hope this is going to change!

I know its absolutely silly but it would honestly keep me from buying the car, even though it was great fun on b-roads…

I am very looking forward to SportAutos Supertest on nürburgring and Hockenheimring and compare it to equal sportscars. The Evora 400 put down a 7:59 (on UHP) while a 981 GT4 ran a 7:42 (7:32 for 718 GT4). The Exige S V6 had 7:53 and the 380 Cup only 7:48 (all numbers on same driver). To be honest, seeing the laptimes so far I could imagine the Emira would even have a hard time beating that Evora time…
There is a world of difference in setup configurability. Something like the Emira, which has full camber/caster/toe alignment capabilities out of the box and a significant range of motion available to work with, can achieve a hugely wide range of alignment outcomes to suit a particular purpose or a particular tire. You can dial it to change the stability under braking, allow more oversteer, prioritize outright grip vs rapid directional change, or whatever you like.

A front wheel drive vehicle with strut suspension, like the GR Yaris for example, typically has a very limited range of alignment capabilities by comparison. I just looked up that car and it doesn't even have camber adjustability from the factory, the only range of motion for camber is to loosen the strut bolts and shift the knuckle to one extreme or the other and tighten back down. One of the biggest mods for that car is to add lobed offset camber bolts to the suspension so that it can be adjusted.

This sort of thing is a really significant limitation, and is a common one. So while the GR Yaris might start out with a slightly more optimized set of alignment settings from the factory that allows it to turn a reasonable lap time on the tires they ship on the car, it's not going to be something you can optimize for a particular track or a particular tire without modifying the car. It's also going to have limitations generally to the range of alignment outcomes that are possible.

FYI to achieve a time that was that different on "stock" equipment, that 981 GT4 almost certainly had a track-specific alignment on the car and was totally dialed for purpose. The other cars were likely not quite so precisely fettled for the scenario.

Ideally, I would like Lotus to "tune" the suspension for the track, and show what the stock Emira is capable of by posting track times. And clap back at any naysayer journalists and say "you don't know jack sh*t". This would put to rest any doubt what the Emira is capable of.

Hmm… pretend being fast by looking fast but effectively being slow is not my cup of tea. To be honest I even find it a bit silly…

Okay and why would it be different for other cars? This applies to all cars equally (maybe except porsche who is sending a team to make sure to achieve the best possible laptimes). So in the end, the Emira just shows poor laptimes so far and I really really really hope this is going to change!

I am very looking forward to SportAutos Supertest on nürburgring and Hockenheimring and compare it to equal sportscars. The Evora 400 put down a 7:59 (on UHP) while a 981 GT4 ran a 7:42 (7:32 for 718 GT4). The Exige S V6 had 7:53 and the 380 Cup 7:48 (all numbers on same driver). To be honest, seeing the laptimes so far I could imagine the Emira would even have a hard time beating that Evora time…

I think I struggled myself with these same thoughts, but I had to take a step back to really recognize why I wanted to buy an Emira.

I wouldn't call the Emira a fast car, nor would I consider it a good value. If you're looking for fast track cars you're honestly better suited in a number of other cars including more dedicated platforms or platforms with much more aftermarket support.

This car is creating a balance of comfort, emotion and driver feel more than anything else. It'll do a track day just fine, it'll be communicative, and you'll enjoy it. However, you're probably not going to beat an 8 year old BMW M car with it any any track. If that's of greater importance to you than having a balanced sports car, you need to step away from the Emira.

The Emira can't and shouldn't be the right car for everyone.

@Porter
Ok I get that and you are right, but it doesnt change the fact that the Emira didnt deliver in this departement until now. So its just reading tea leaves... Its just a shame that Lotus obviously doesnt care and just sends cars out to journalists with bad setups.
So the question is: is the emira really capable with the right stock setting or did Lotus really f*** this one up (not regarding looks obviousl)

Ideally, I would like Lotus to "tune" the suspension for the track, and show what the stock Emira is capable of by posting track times. And clap back at any naysayer journalists and say "you don't know jack sh*t". This would put to rest any doubt what the Emira is capable of.
YES YES YES, but the question is: is it really capable or are we just wish for it to be…?

I think I struggled myself with these same thoughts, but I had to take a step back to really recognize why I wanted to buy an Emira.

I wouldn't call the Emira a fast car, nor would I consider it a good value. If you're looking for fast track cars you're honestly better suited in a number of other cars including more dedicated platforms or platforms with much more aftermarket support.

This car is creating a balance of comfort, emotion and driver feel more than anything else. It'll do a track day just fine, it'll be communicative, and you'll enjoy it. However, you're probably not going to beat an 8 year old BMW M car with it any any track. If that's of greater importance to you than having a balanced sports car, you need to step away from the Emira.

The Emira can't and shouldn't be the right car for everyone.
I see your point. I dont want the fastest car, I just want a car that has great handling and puts down reasonably good laptimes for the power it has.
even though I would track the car once or twice a year, it would be a b-road fun car. But its just stuck in my head and I cant get around it🤦‍♂️

I see your point. I dont want the fastest car, I just want a car that has great handling and puts down reasonably good laptimes for the power it has.
even though I would track the car once or twice a year, it would be a b-road fun car. But its just stuck in my head and I cant get around it🤦‍♂️

If you're comparing lap times of different cars at the same track and you only track once or twice a year, I'm afraid that you're probably worrying too much about this and doing a bit too much bench racing.

I go twice a month during the season and there's no way I could honestly say I'd be faster in an Emira or a GT4, I'm just not that skilled at it and I've been doing it for a decade and a half. I'm probably still limited by two things:

- The size of my balls (risk level)
- The size of my bank account (replacement cost of an entire car)

@Porter
Ok I get that and you are right, but it doesnt change the fact that the Emira didnt deliver in this departement until now. So its just reading tea leaves... Its just a shame that Lotus obviously doesnt care and just sends cars out to journalists with bad setups.
So the question is: is the emira really capable with the right stock setting or did Lotus really f*** this one up (not regarding looks obviousl)
What we really need right now is for an Emira owner to push the car on the track and provide independent test results (after the 1k mile break in period of course). Until we have verifiable data, it’s difficult to say one way or another.