• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Exhaust upgrade on v6? You need to know this (real life experience and Lotus dealership input)

EmirOfDenmark

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As many of you have been considering and trying an aftermarket upgrade of the exhaust system, I would like to share my learnings, along with the dealer advice.

The background (as explained to me by the dealer)
Here is what is going on. If you are considering about upgrading the exhaust, the last stage of the exhaust is what you are replacing. That connects to the Valve Controller (VC). The VC effectively controls a valve from a range to positions from fully open to fully closed. It is controlled by the ECU, connected to how you drive and which drive mode you are in. In Tour mode, it is mostly closed, but is still opens up slightly at higher revs (1). In Sport mode it starts somewhat opened and opens up fully in higher revs. In Track mode is behaves exactly the same as in Sport mode, but the idle RPMs are higher and the rev limiter is higher by about 200 RPM (this is why people think it is different, but what you are hearing is the higher idle RPMs). So, the way it is designed is that ECU sends a message to the valve (e.g. open up by 20%), and the valve needs to send back a response "valve opened by 20%". If the valve gets physically stuck, the valve controller will not respond, and the ECU will go "oh, the valve is not opening, that is unsafe, there is not enough respiration for the engine, I will limit it to 4000rpm".

My Initial Experience - the problems
Last year, I bought a Miltek exhaust system for my V6. I drove it to a mechanic (not Lotus), that is recommended by Miltek, and they installed it relatively quickly, no fuss.
As soon as I drove off from the shop, I got Limp mode, i.e. the engine was limited to 4000rpm. What happened was, that the mechanic has connected the Miltek exhaust with the VC in a position that was not the last recorded position in the ECU. E.g. the ECU would have thought is is in 20% Open, but the connected position would have been 30% open, by pure mechanical positioning of the valve during installation. So, the first time the ECU tried to open it up fully, it couldn't, it interpreted the valve as being stuck, and triggered limp mode.

The solution - recalibration
To solve this problem, you need to take the car to the Lotus dealer and they will recalibrate the VC to the mechanical position of the valve. Only Lotus dealer can do this, you cannot do this with a custom tool. Clearly the position of the valve is so important that Lotus doesn't want anyone to mess with it, and the moment the ECU thinks then valve is not doing what it needs to be doing, it limps the engine. So the valve is really important for the engine respiration. (2)

The workaround - the valve controller
Then I ran into the Miltek Valve Controller (MVC) that can control the valve manually (via a fob). It has three positions: Open (full open), Close (fully closed), and Stock (let the ECU decide). In any of the modes, the MVC returns an affirmative response to the ECU, and thereby the car will never go into limp mode. You are also removing an obviously important feedback loop that Lotus has built in, that when the valve misbehaves, the engine needs to be limited. (3) I installed the MVC, and the limp mode went away.

More problems - O2 sensor slow response
While I drive it fully open most of the time, I do sometimes like to close the valves, e.g. if I am on a long highway journey and want a more quiet experience. When I do that, I could get the CEL, which my OBD would read as "O2 sensor slow response". Hmmm, is it safe this? Turns out that because the air mix and air pressure is different from what is expected at certain RPMs, the error could occur. In other words, the closed valve is triggering an invalid reading from the O2 sensor.

The conclusion - as verified by the Lotus mechanic
The Miltek exhaust lets out more air flow than the stock exhaust, and generally they trust Miltek on the exhaust itself. However, the controller was a big concern for them.
Open mode - ok, you may get some O2 sensor errors there as well, but the engine can breathe properly, all good.
Stock mode - depending how the valve is calibrated. If there is a big discrepancy between the perceived position and real position you can still have the same problems as in Closed (but you would hear that).
Closed mode - this is a major risk. Do not use it. Note the points 1, 2, and 3 above. Even in Tour mode, the engine needs to open the valve to breathe (1). There is a serious feedback loop being built into the engine respiration pathway, to prevent engine from revving if there is a risk of that pathway being closed (2). Removing that feedback loop is a risk to the cats and the engine itself, it goes against the programmed behaviour (3).

Unless, you drive it in Open mode.
In other words - when you buy the Miltek Valve Controller, you are not buying a valve controller, you are buying an Open only mode, if you want your engine to be safe.

The result and the experience
I now have confidence that the Miltek exhaust itself is ok, and that the controller is safe as long it is in Open mode. That is why I basically left the fob safe at home, and the MVC in Open mode in the car. The result is a great sounding car for me. The stock car sounds good too, but with this setup, it sounds much better (for me). What is better?
At low revs - sounds deeper
At mid revs - more howl
At high revs - louder and more race-like sound
Overruns - more rumbles and pops, more drama
Final note, without the MVC, I was underwhelmed when I just had the Miltek Exhaust. It sounded a bit louder, but I was questioning whether it was worth it. If you want to do this, get the MVC as well, as that makes huge difference, but be aware you are buying an Open mode only.

TLDR; if you want a exhaust upgrade, get the Miltek exhaust AND get the Miltek valve controller, but never use it in any other mode than Open, if you want to keep your car safe.

Hope this clarifies many questions I've been seeing here.
NOTE: This is just me sharing my experience to the best of my knowledge. You take responsibility of your own car modifications.

Just curious, does exhaust mod bring any risks of voiding the warranty?

As many of you have been considering and trying an aftermarket upgrade of the exhaust system, I would like to share my learnings, along with the dealer advice.

The background (as explained to me by the dealer)
Here is what is going on. If you are considering about upgrading the exhaust, the last stage of the exhaust is what you are replacing. That connects to the Valve Controller (VC). The VC effectively controls a valve from a range to positions from fully open to fully closed. It is controlled by the ECU, connected to how you drive and which drive mode you are in. In Tour mode, it is mostly closed, but is still opens up slightly at higher revs (1). In Sport mode it starts somewhat opened and opens up fully in higher revs. In Track mode is behaves exactly the same as in Sport mode, but the idle RPMs are higher and the rev limiter is higher by about 200 RPM (this is why people think it is different, but what you are hearing is the higher idle RPMs). So, the way it is designed is that ECU sends a message to the valve (e.g. open up by 20%), and the valve needs to send back a response "valve opened by 20%". If the valve gets physically stuck, the valve controller will not respond, and the ECU will go "oh, the valve is not opening, that is unsafe, there is not enough respiration for the engine, I will limit it to 4000rpm".

My Initial Experience - the problems
Last year, I bought a Miltek exhaust system for my V6. I drove it to a mechanic (not Lotus), that is recommended by Miltek, and they installed it relatively quickly, no fuss.
As soon as I drove off from the shop, I got Limp mode, i.e. the engine was limited to 4000rpm. What happened was, that the mechanic has connected the Miltek exhaust with the VC in a position that was not the last recorded position in the ECU. E.g. the ECU would have thought is is in 20% Open, but the connected position would have been 30% open, by pure mechanical positioning of the valve during installation. So, the first time the ECU tried to open it up fully, it couldn't, it interpreted the valve as being stuck, and triggered limp mode.

The solution - recalibration
To solve this problem, you need to take the car to the Lotus dealer and they will recalibrate the VC to the mechanical position of the valve. Only Lotus dealer can do this, you cannot do this with a custom tool. Clearly the position of the valve is so important that Lotus doesn't want anyone to mess with it, and the moment the ECU thinks then valve is not doing what it needs to be doing, it limps the engine. So the valve is really important for the engine respiration. (2)

The workaround - the valve controller
Then I ran into the Miltek Valve Controller (MVC) that can control the valve manually (via a fob). It has three positions: Open (full open), Close (fully closed), and Stock (let the ECU decide). In any of the modes, the MVC returns an affirmative response to the ECU, and thereby the car will never go into limp mode. You are also removing an obviously important feedback loop that Lotus has built in, that when the valve misbehaves, the engine needs to be limited. (3) I installed the MVC, and the limp mode went away.

More problems - O2 sensor slow response
While I drive it fully open most of the time, I do sometimes like to close the valves, e.g. if I am on a long highway journey and want a more quiet experience. When I do that, I could get the CEL, which my OBD would read as "O2 sensor slow response". Hmmm, is it safe this? Turns out that because the air mix and air pressure is different from what is expected at certain RPMs, the error could occur. In other words, the closed valve is triggering an invalid reading from the O2 sensor.

The conclusion - as verified by the Lotus mechanic
The Miltek exhaust lets out more air flow than the stock exhaust, and generally they trust Miltek on the exhaust itself. However, the controller was a big concern for them.
Open mode - ok, you may get some O2 sensor errors there as well, but the engine can breathe properly, all good.
Stock mode - depending how the valve is calibrated. If there is a big discrepancy between the perceived position and real position you can still have the same problems as in Closed (but you would hear that).
Closed mode - this is a major risk. Do not use it. Note the points 1, 2, and 3 above. Even in Tour mode, the engine needs to open the valve to breathe (1). There is a serious feedback loop being built into the engine respiration pathway, to prevent engine from revving if there is a risk of that pathway being closed (2). Removing that feedback loop is a risk to the cats and the engine itself, it goes against the programmed behaviour (3).

Unless, you drive it in Open mode.
In other words - when you buy the Miltek Valve Controller, you are not buying a valve controller, you are buying an Open only mode, if you want your engine to be safe.

The result and the experience
I now have confidence that the Miltek exhaust itself is ok, and that the controller is safe as long it is in Open mode. That is why I basically left the fob safe at home, and the MVC in Open mode in the car. The result is a great sounding car for me. The stock car sounds good too, but with this setup, it sounds much better (for me). What is better?
At low revs - sounds deeper
At mid revs - more howl
At high revs - louder and more race-like sound
Overruns - more rumbles and pops, more drama
Final note, without the MVC, I was underwhelmed when I just had the Miltek Exhaust. It sounded a bit louder, but I was questioning whether it was worth it. If you want to do this, get the MVC as well, as that makes huge difference, but be aware you are buying an Open mode only.

TLDR; if you want a exhaust upgrade, get the Miltek exhaust AND get the Miltek valve controller, but never use it in any other mode than Open, if you want to keep your car safe.

Hope this clarifies many questions I've been seeing here.
NOTE: This is just me sharing my experience to the best of my knowledge. You take responsibility of your own car modifications.
Very informative and thanks. For the most part, the findings and recommendations make sense. A number of other forum members had already warned on the dangers of keeping MVC on closed valve mode, and I for one, have programmed my Homelink exclusively for the OEM and Open modes.

I'm certainly not expert on this subject matter, but what I found a bit surprising however, and I can't follow its logic, is this part:

"Stock mode - depending how the valve is calibrated. If there is a big discrepancy between the perceived position and real position you can still have the same problems as in Closed (but you would hear that)."

It seemed to me that the MVC, when in OEM mode, was simply by-passed (i.e. no interference) and any potential perceived vs real ECU misreading, if it were ever to occur, would happen anyway, whether the MVC is, or not, there. What is it that I'm not grasping here?

They should just sell a full override option( open all the time) without the keyfob and receiver; given these issues.

Just curious, does exhaust mod bring any risks of voiding the warranty?
only if the manufacturer can prove the mod caused whatever issue you are trying to cover under warranty. Magnuson act protects us here in the US. They can't deny just because you put something aftermarket on. Believe me that they will try and I've seen some crazy examples where they tried to deny the claim but in the end it failed. There are some mods I 100% would not do until after warranty expired because it would be too easy to link even if it didn't cause the issue. Replacing exhaust would be a hard one to prove

only if the manufacturer can prove the mod caused whatever issue you are trying to cover under warranty. Magnuson act protects us here in the US. They can't deny just because you put something aftermarket on. Believe me that they will try and I've seen some crazy examples where they tried to deny the claim but in the end it failed. There are some mods I 100% would not do until after warranty expired because it would be too easy to link even if it didn't cause the issue. Replacing exhaust would be a hard one to prove
That's what I thought. But I saw posts talking about how dealers lurking in the forum and seeking chances to void the warranty...

As far as I'm concern, I definitely like having the two options Open and OEM, and I have been using them both. I do agree however, that the Closed mode should not even be offered.
I too like driving it in Open and OEM. Recently I've been liking the OEM mode. The opening of the valves somewhere around 4-5k rpms sound glorious. I haven't tested it yet with a video or decimal meter, but I wonder how the pitch defers from Open. It appears that in the Open setting, it's deep all the time. Whereas in OEM mode in Sport or Track, the sound builds with the rpm to a crescendo, giving off an impression of going faster (opposed to a deeper constant note from the Open setting).

I think this is similar to how Seen Through Glass describes the exhaust on his former 360:

Very informative and thanks. For the most part, the findings and recommendations make sense. A number of other forum members had already warned on the dangers of keeping MVC on closed valve mode, and I for one, have programmed my Homelink exclusively for the OEM and Open modes.

I'm certainly not expert on this subject matter, but what I found a bit surprising however, and I can't follow its logic, is this part:

"Stock mode - depending how the valve is calibrated. If there is a big discrepancy between the perceived position and real position you can still have the same problems as in Closed (but you would hear that)."

It seemed to me that the MVC, when in OEM mode, was simply by-passed (i.e. no interference) and any potential perceived vs real ECU misreading, if it were ever to occur, would happen anyway, whether the MVC is, or not, there. What is it that I'm not grasping here?
Hey, yeah, I get it, this is where it is a little weird. From what I understand:
In Stock mode (OEM, button 3) - the valve controls from the ECU are just passed through, as you say. But, the responses going back to the ECU are always "all good". Something to check with Miltek, as this is what I got from the Lotus dealer. So, the difference is that, without the MVC, if the valve and controller were misaligned, the response going back would be "could not open", and ECU would limp the engine to protect it. With the MVC the response is always "all good" (hence no limp mode), even if the valve is misaligned and not opening in sync with the commands. In Open mode, it doesn't really matter, as the controller just opens it wide all the time, so you have airflow all the time.

I too like driving it in Open and OEM. Recently I've been liking the OEM mode. The opening of the valves somewhere around 4-5k rpms sound glorious. I haven't tested it yet with a video or decimal meter, but I wonder how the pitch defers from Open. It appears that in the Open setting, it's deep all the time. Whereas in OEM mode in Sport or Track, the sound builds with the rpm to a crescendo, giving off an impression of going faster (opposed to a deeper constant note from the Open setting).

I think this is similar to how Seen Through Glass describes the exhaust on his former 360:

Right, need to go for a drive to test that now :). Is the point about rapid vs progressive exhaust noise drama. However, still worried about the OEM mode apparently always returning "all ok" to the ECU, even if the valve is misaligned.

But if you can hear it opening, then it can't be that misaligned.

That's what I thought. But I saw posts talking about how dealers lurking in the forum and seeking chances to void the warranty...
I think we need to go back to the dealer motivations to do that. If there is a significant cost to their maintenance plan from the damage you may have caused, you can't blame them for it. Otherwise, why would they witch hunt and alienate customers, when they want them to buy from them again. In other words, I would only worry about it if you do damage your car, and if you do, well fair play, you chose to take the risk.

I'm not sure what motivation a dealer would have to make any attempt to void a warranty, since it's the manufacturer that is providing it and any repair under warranty represents additional business for the dealer, and it's Lotus that pays for their work on the car.

Hey, yeah, I get it, this is where it is a little weird. From what I understand:
In Stock mode (OEM, button 3) - the valve controls from the ECU are just passed through, as you say. But, the responses going back to the ECU are always "all good". Something to check with Miltek, as this is what I got from the Lotus dealer. So, the difference is that, without the MVC, if the valve and controller were misaligned, the response going back would be "could not open", and ECU would limp the engine to protect it. With the MVC the response is always "all good" (hence no limp mode), even if the valve is misaligned and not opening in sync with the commands. In Open mode, it doesn't really matter, as the controller just opens it wide all the time, so you have airflow all the time.
I think someone at Miltek should chime in on this, since it's in their own best interest to do so. I still remain somewhat skeptical of why they would design a bypass feature to would work on a one-way data transmission basis vs both ways.

I think someone at Miltek should chime in on this, since it's in their own best interest to do so. I still remain somewhat skeptical of why they would design a bypass feature to would work on a one-way data transmission basis vs both ways.
I agree, if anyone knows someone at Miltek, in this forum, tag them in and let’s hear from them. If it is bi-directional pass through then you’re right, OEM mode would be safe too, in that it would limp the engine if the valve was misaligned. That did not happen for me though. Without the MVC I could consistently reproduce the limp mode on the Miltek Exhaust. As soon as I installed the MVC, without any changes to the exhaust and valve, I never got the limp mode in any MVC mode. This leads me to believe that it is true that the MVC reports back “all ok” all the time.

I just did the 3rd Cat delete and valve controller without doing the exhaust and it honestly sounds amazing in fully open mode. I think most people would be happy with the sound. I wouldn't want to any louder than it is so I'm glad I didn't do the full exhaust.

It's my understanding that the Milltek kit isn't explicitly designed for the Emira at all, it was a kit for the Ford Fiesta that just happens to fit the Emira. If I remember right, one of their UK dealers figured out the compatibility.

They still show it blended for the I4 on part number SSXFD413 (F for Ford), though they've made a new part number for the V6, SSXLO6. That number comes sequentially after the exhaust products though, and the valve controller has been available from them since before the exhaust was designed and produced.

Screenshot_20240904-060349.png

I just did the 3rd Cat delete and valve controller without doing the exhaust and it honestly sounds amazing in fully open mode. I think most people would be happy with the sound. I wouldn't want to any louder than it is so I'm glad I didn't do the full exhaust.
How did you do the cat delete? And, where is the 3rd cat located?

Is the VC required with the cat delete in order to avoid CEL?

Back