• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals Got my Emira - questions anybody?

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Could you post some pictures that show details of the car key ? :geek:

The 2 keys come in a presentation box, with a planform in the colour of the car. The second key is in a CF holder which is apparently RFID shielding.

hml_xy TLF key holder 2.jpeg

hml_xy TLF key holder 1.jpeg

hml_xy TLF key holder 3.jpeg

hml_xy TLF Hethel Yellow Wuppertal 20 2022-10-08.jpeg

hml_xy TLF Hethel Yellow Wuppertal 6 2022-09-23.jpeg

Pics: hml_xy

@TomE thanks for jumping in and reposting the pics from the other thread re. @Matt question.

@JP__FOX It was utter madness today. Nearly as bad as "Car Freitag" - if the weather will be as nice today it will be insane next week. Btw last weekend of the season! I would love to show you the car and offer a ride but I'll be on vacation for a couple weeks then. 🏝☺️
Next time with pleasure!

@netsinah Thanks for the kind words and the offer! Be warned that I'm one of the few germans who don't drink any beer but I'm sure we'll find an alternative. Cuba Libre or a cocktail or a glass of wine is more my thing. Happy to meet up and nerd out about cars when you're around and the timing works out.

I promised earlier that I'll take the GoPro and try to capture some noises of the Emira. Here comes the result of a very nice but far too busy roadtrip to the Eifel region.

After doing a cold start I saw that the redline depends on the engine temperature, didn't know that it had that. Cockpit showed 5000rpm only right after start but went up to the "meh" 6800 rpm after a couple minutes. Had a blast on the Autobahn to around 200km/h - car is super stable and planted, joined a beautiful E-Type on the way to the Ring and also saw him on the way back again. 😄

The car is at around 800km now, so I still couldn't (officially) floor it. But I was much braver today than in the days last two days! Its pretty much the first real trip. I have to say, I fell a little bit more in love with her today! 😍 The ride quality but also the "chassis flow" is excellent and the whole experience is very rewarding.

Yes, the gear box _still_ has some roughness to it (even though I believe it got optimised since the Evora generation) but I have sympathy for the imperfection of it and take it as extra engagement when driving the car. Compared to Porsche, the gate is definitely more narrow and requires more precision when shifting. It also doesn't have the smoothness of the famous Honda Civic or MX-5 shift. Even my 45 year old Esprit is smoother. But the mechanical "clunk" of the shift oozes character. You won't be the fastest on the track with it, but you wouldn't be the fastest in any manual car. I am now in peace with the gearbox debate and think we should take the Emira as a visceral sportscar for the road that tries to be as useable as possible on a daily basis. Not the "best", not the "fastest" or the most high tech... but definitely fun while driving!

The attention was insane that the car got, I had a whole group of hikers with their kids asking me if they could sit in it and take selfies with it. Car spotters running after me driving away 🙄. Met very nice likeminded Lotus enthusiasts from Belgium who will now help me replacing my rubber donuts on the Elan Sprint in a few weeks. 👍🏻

And than there was the b-road blast. The best section didn't make it on the GoPro unfortunately (or maybe its good that there is no evidence? 😁). But I brought you guys a little bit to shorten the time until another certain video gets released (soon).

Oh, and did I mention that the car got a lot louder? I have to correct myself - it might not be too far away from the Evora anymore. But definitely less drone in the cabin (which is 100% a good thing).

Disclaimer: I am not trying to be a "YouTuber" or film editor, I just had an hour to spare and always wanted to try Lumafusion on my iPad... Please don't expect a professional video. 🙂 Just a GoPro 6 with a suction mount that I couldn't turn 360* so the angles are a bit odd. 🤪 GoPro mics are also not so good for cabin sound, it has a bit of an echo chamber effect. The car sounds "better" in real life than on this video.

Attachments

• 2CBF5BF6-CCD6-42A3-B114-A7A3DE2DFCDC.jpeg
    2CBF5BF6-CCD6-42A3-B114-A7A3DE2DFCDC.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 0E550B16-76D5-4E68-A80A-D31828D02A3E.jpeg
    0E550B16-76D5-4E68-A80A-D31828D02A3E.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 162
  • E9F3A0C9-2183-4253-929E-EFADB899A82C.jpeg
    E9F3A0C9-2183-4253-929E-EFADB899A82C.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I promised earlier that I'll take the GoPro and try to capture some noises of the Emira. Here comes the result of a very nice but far too busy roadtrip to the Eifel region.

After doing a cold start I saw that the redline depends on the engine temperature, didn't know that it had that. Cockpit showed 5000rpm only right after start but went up to the "meh" 6800 rpm after a couple minutes. Had a blast on the Autobahn to around 200km/h - car is super stable and planted, joined a beautiful E-Type on the way to the Ring and also saw him on the way back again. 😄

The car is at around 800km now, so I still couldn't (officially) floor it. But I was much braver today than in the days last two days! Its pretty much the first real trip. I have to say, I fell a little bit more in love with her today! 😍 The ride quality but also the "chassis flow" is excellent and the whole experience is very rewarding.

Yes, the gear box _still_ has some roughness to it (even though I believe it got optimised since the Evora generation) but I have sympathy for the imperfection of it and take it as extra engagement when driving the car. Compared to Porsche, the gate is definitely more narrow and requires more precision when shifting. It also doesn't have the smoothness of the famous Honda Civic or MX-5 shift. Even my 45 year old Esprit is smoother. But the mechanical "clunk" of the shift oozes character. You won't be the fastest on the track with it, but you wouldn't be the fastest in any manual car. I am now in peace with the gearbox debate and think we should take the Emira as a visceral sportscar for the road that tries to be as useable as possible on a daily basis. Not the "best", not the "fastest" or the most high tech... but definitely fun while driving!

The attention was insane that the car got, I had a whole group of hikers with their kids asking me if they could sit in it and take selfies with it. Car spotters running after me driving away 🙄. Met very nice likeminded Lotus enthusiasts from Belgium who will now help me replacing my rubber donuts on the Elan Sprint in a few weeks. 👍🏻

And than there was the b-road blast. The best section didn't make it on the GoPro unfortunately (or maybe its good that there is no evidence? 😁). But I brought you guys a little bit to shorten the time until another certain video gets released (soon).

Oh, and did I mention that the car got a lot louder? I have to correct myself - it might not be too far away from the Evora anymore. But definitely less drone in the cabin (which is 100% a good thing).

Disclaimer: I am not trying to be a "YouTuber" or film editor, I just had an hour to spare and always wanted to try Lumafusion on my iPad... Please don't expect a professional video. 🙂 Just a GoPro 6 with a suction mount that I couldn't turn 360* so the angles are a bit odd. 🤪 GoPro mics are also not so good for cabin sound, it has a bit of an echo chamber effect. The car sounds "better" in real life than on this video.

Sure appreciate your contributions! The car sounds great!

This video is proof, not that I needed it, that the Emira will be very fun to drive at any speed. Well, the V6 at least for now. The size of the car, handling, steering, grip, and SOUND will be enjoyable at almost any speed. It really sounds good. And I am not really a sound guy but this thing has that howling, resonant noise that is unique, addictive, and intoxicating. Thanks for posting, congratulations.

Wow that's exactly the stuff I want to see!!! I'm sure I'm not alone here. Thanks so much for putting this together for us. Many folks would have just been gone enjoying their new Emiras and not even thinking of us poor saps that are still in line...:)!!!

Hml, we would love info on 1st 2nd and 3rd gear red line. My hope is it’s the opposite of the 718

Nice video! Car sounds good, even with a GoPro mic. How is the visibility in the evening and at night, are the headlights good?

I don't know if watching this video makes it easier or harder to wait for my car lol. Right now you're living the dream for all (or at least most) of us!

This is lovely, thank you! And congratulations!

Thank you for sharing these photos and videos of your Emira ownership experience thus far with all of us on here; it means a lot! :) It's great to see you enjoying the car, and for me personally it makes the long wait just a little bit easier. 😁

Wow as always, thanks for all the videos and updates! What is your average MPG?

Thanks everybody, I am glad to be of help. These cars are toys and the pleasure they provide has to be shared, especially within a likeminded community. It's a shame if people use them as show-off items or garage queens. Let's hop' all in for the ride 🚌

@Eagle7

Visibility out front is excellent. Very Evora like. Feels same in terms of dimensions. A bit more chunky on the butt 🍑😅
Night time visibility is perfect. Headlights are A+, super bright and even, well adjusted. I wouldn't know any better ones.
View out the back window is compromised obviously but okay. You get used to it. The way how the plastic covers are sitting next to the supercharger is very well designed (clearly with the drivers view out the rear mirror in mind). The rear view mirror is also beautiful being frameless.

@idleuser
I did a quick google what 12L per 100km is in MPG and it returned 23mpg. That may go down after run in and is surprisingly the same I have on the GT430 Sport. Thought the Emira might be a bit more fuel efficient. But that is probably reserved for the i4 😄

Hml, we would love info on 1st 2nd and 3rd gear red line. My hope is it’s the opposite of the 718
100% opposite. Can't say the speeds yet as I'm running her in still. But the low end torque means that it gives a surprising early push towards the famously low rev limiter. Makes shifts at 4000rpm not feel wasted.

Another finding that many people may be glad to hear (but is hard to describe if you havent driven the supercharged Exige/Evora before): I think that the engine is a bit more responsive to sudden accelerator movements. Some may confirm that the Evora (400 and onwards) had a slight delay on accelerator inputs. I always thought especially with the exhaust open. You could feather the gas to create these short, throaty intake noises (which are nearly gone on the Emira) but you also felt a slight delay in spinning up. Matt Farah once said on the Evora 410(?) one-take review that rev matching does not "always" work on the Evora... and that in my opinion described exactly that.

None of this so far on the Emira! Instant throttle response (at least compared to the Evora!). Having said that - don't expect it to be a LFA or Carrera GT or 458. 😅

I did a quick google what 12L per 100km is in MPG and it returned 23mpg. That may go down after run in and is surprisingly the same I have on the GT430 Sport. Thought the Emira might be a bit more fuel efficient. But that is probably reserved for the i4 😄
Makes sense since you are not pushing yet.
I am surprised about how low consumption you get on the GT430 though.
My experience in the last 6.000 kms on the Evora GT410 Sport is 15.1 liters/100km.
50% highway, 40% B roads, 10% City
Maybe I am too much spirited 🤪

My experience in the last 6.000 kms on the Evora GT410 Sport is 15.1 liters/100km.
That probably says a lot about our driving styles. My figures where comparing "similar style" driving on the Evora. It can get higher than that if you push it 😁

Excellent thread, thank you @hml_xy !

Couple of comments...

1. The difference in ride height is likely a combination of a difference in spring settling times between the two types of springs used. The Touring spring has a more significant progressive section to it and uses a substantially thicker spring wire diameter, so it makes sense that it would have different settling behavior. Most springs go through a settling period, and Eibachs are famous for it. If we checked the same cars again in ~2 months I suspect they would be much closer.

The other factor affecting ride height is the different tires. These are extremely different sidewall designs, and the Cup2 uses a slightly larger tire carcass with a shorter tread depth (as new). If you measured, did you measure to the tire, or to the wheel edge itself? The distance between the fender edge (at wheel centerline) and the wheel top edge is the key figure.

2. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the photos of the wheel spec markings. This is brand new info that we've been waiting on for many months! I will update the thread that deals with wheel technical with the data from your photos.

Thank you for sharing your experience with your Emira and the video. I am looking forward to ordering this car in White as I think it looks stunning. Can you fit a standard carry-on or two in the trunk? I plan to daily drive this all summer here in Canada but need to wait until June 2023.

One in the trunk, two in the cabin behind the seats. More info here: