• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals Got my Emira - questions anybody?

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Game changer for the rick. If the AMG is super fun I’m ALL IN

Plenty of road-trip storage

Excellent thread, thank you @hml_xy !

Couple of comments...

1. The difference in ride height is likely a combination of a difference in spring settling times between the two types of springs used. The Touring spring has a more significant progressive section to it and uses a substantially thicker spring wire diameter, so it makes sense that it would have different settling behavior. Most springs go through a settling period, and Eibachs are famous for it. If we checked the same cars again in ~2 months I suspect they would be much closer.

The other factor affecting ride height is the different tires. These are extremely different sidewall designs, and the Cup2 uses a slightly larger tire carcass with a shorter tread depth (as new). If you measured, did you measure to the tire, or to the wheel edge itself? The distance between the fender edge (at wheel centerline) and the wheel top edge is the key figure.

2. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the photos of the wheel spec markings. This is brand new info that we've been waiting on for many months! I will update the thread that deals with wheel technical with the data from your photos.
Actually, to get an accurate measurement, the measure should be from the ground to the top edge of the wheel arch; ignore the tire.

Actually, to get an accurate measurement, the measure should be from the ground to the top edge of the wheel arch; ignore the tire.
The complaint is about wheel gap, not total ride height. The total height will change based on the height of the tire, but the distance from the top edge of the wheel to the fender will not.

The complaint is about wheel gap, not total ride height. The total height will change based on the height of the tire, but the distance from the top edge of the wheel to the fender will not.
Yup measuring to the ground is for pre post lowering install

Great contribution to the forum! Thank you!

And a question: Can you share how the seats can adjust? I’m trying to determine the difference in adjustability between the 4point base and 12point upgrade. Thank you!

Did your Emira come with a battery tender?

If they're both using the same tire, then the wheel gap should be the same. If the tour suspension wheel gap is bigger, that means the body is sitting up higher. Ride height is the distance from the ground to the bottom of the car.

You'll also want to check the tire pressures between the two cars to make sure they're the same.

If they're both using the same tire, then the wheel gap should be the same. If the tour suspension wheel gap is bigger, that means the body is sitting up higher. Ride height is the distance from the ground to the bottom of the car.

You'll also want to check the tire pressures between the two cars to make sure they're the same.
They aren't using the same tire. That's the whole point. The comparison was between a Sport chassis car with Michelins vs a Touring chassis car with Goodyears. Completely different tire designs, with different sidewall profiles and initial tread depth.

They aren't using the same tire. That's the whole point. The comparison was between a Sport chassis car with Michelins vs a Touring chassis car with Goodyears. Completely different tire designs, with different sidewall profiles and initial tread depth.

Different geo and align too apparently.

For the love of etc I was promised a pic of fingers stuffed in the gap. Pretty sure we all know how to operate a tape measure

Then ride height should be measured from the ground to the top edge of the wheel well. If they're the same, then the difference in wheel gap is the result of the tire profiles, not the tour chassis being set higher than the sport.

If @hml_xy could measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well on his car and the cars at the dealer, that would be informative.

Then ride height should be measured from the ground to the top edge of the wheel well. If they're the same, then the difference in wheel gap is the result of the tire profiles, not the tour chassis being set higher than the sport.

If @hml_xy could measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well on his car and the cars at the dealer, that would be informative.
Please just stop arguing. The underlying question at hand was about the difference in suspension height between the Touring and Sport chassis suspension options. In order to know the difference *while eliminating all other variables*, you have to take the tire out of play.

One very easy way to do this is to measure the only distance on the outside of the car that answers the question directly while excluding the tire, which is the distance between the fender edge and some point on the wheel (at centerline) that is repeatable, like the top edge.

There are too many variables involved in "ride height" so it should be discounted entirely as a metric in this sort of situation. It's only useful as a measure of change on the same car in a suspension replacement or adjustment scenario.

Please just stop arguing. The underlying question at hand was about the difference in suspension height between the Touring and Sport chassis suspension options. In order to know the difference *while eliminating all other variables*, you have to take the tire out of play.

One very easy way to do this is to measure the only distance on the outside of the car that answers the question directly while excluding the tire, which is the distance between the fender edge and some point on the wheel (at centerline) that is repeatable, like the top edge.

There are too many variables involved in "ride height" so it should be discounted entirely as a metric in this sort of situation. It's only useful as a measure of change on the same car in a suspension replacement or adjustment scenario.
Honestly lol

Last edited:

I'm not "just arguing" I'm addressing the issue being discussed but I'm starting to think this OCD obsession with wheel gap is a mental disorder of some kind. The term suspension height refers to how high off the ground the suspension is holding the body. People talk about lowering the car to reduce the wheel gap, and that's done by ignoring the wheels and modifying the suspension, usually with adjustable coilovers.

But whatever. I don't know why I even bothered commenting on this since I could care less about wheel gap,. My apologies to the OP for cluttering up his thread. Carry on.

I'm not "just arguing" I'm addressing the issue being discussed but I'm starting to think this OCD obsession with wheel gap is a mental disorder of some kind. The term suspension height refers to how high off the ground the suspension is holding the body. People talk about lowering the car to reduce the wheel gap, and that's done by ignoring the wheels and modifying the suspension, usually with adjustable coilovers.

But whatever. I don't know why I even bothered commenting on this since I could care less about wheel gap,. My apologies to the OP for cluttering up his thread. Carry on.
How about a graph, or excel sheet to help us

Great contribution to the forum! Thank you!

And a question: Can you share how the seats can adjust? I’m trying to determine the difference in adjustability between the 4point base and 12point upgrade. Thank you!

Premium 12-way adjustable seats (standard on First Edition, cost option on Base Edition): 12 way fully electric seat with electric fore/aft, height, tilt and recline adjustment. 4 way adjustable lumbar support. 2 pre set memory function on drivers seat and mirrors.

I haven't found confirmed specs for the 4-way base version but assume it will be fore/aft and recline adjustment.

Good question, curious as well

The Emira does come with a battery tender. Confirmed with a Lotus rep when I test drove recently. I noticed one in the trunk and asked if all Emira will come with one and the rep confirmed.

I know many of you are eagerly waiting for news and maybe I can give a little bit back to this community of likeminded enthusiasts after all the months it has kept the waiting somewhat entertaining. 😅

While I have already posted some impressions on my introduction thread, maybe I can provide pictures or infos about the car that many of you have been waiting for.

Stuff I didn't hear about before spending the first day with the car:

* There are driver profiles in the entertainment system and you can lock them with a PIN code. They seem to remember car settings like mirror positions, infotainment screen setup and so on.

* The scorpion tracker seems to have a proximity alarm when the car is locked (at least something beeped when I leaned close to the locked car).

* The cupholders have ambient light in them. 🧐

* The engine / supercharger is more noticeable on the "RHD" driver seat (my passenger seat). One might say the car sounds better on the right side 😅

* The boot lid makes a squeaking noise when opening(?!) from some plastic flexing inside the engine bay.

* You can mute the audio by swiping down on the steering wheel audio controls and unmute by swiping up.

* Lotus has no official run-in period / after sales service anymore. First service in one year or 16000km.

* The sport suspension is 1cm lower than the tour setup, even though Lotus stated the drive height is the same. It definitely is not!

If you want to know any more details - let me know 🙂
Congrats! just one observation, you may need to check with your doctor, your may be losing your hearing on your left ear :ROFLMAO:

Good question, curious as well
Why? I hope they don't have the same issue as my c6 Vette where it had so many computers you couldn't let the car sit for much more than a week or the battery would drain! That's annoying as hell.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back