• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

How do you check the radiator fluid level ?

Jjrho

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My emira reads 180 to 185F but when I'm driving spiritually up the hill on a hot day the temp goes to 200° and the car goes into limp mode. I have not checked the coolant level but don't even know where to check it ...can someone comment as to how ?

My other cars coolant temperature hardly ever budges but this car seems to have the temperature sensor at a very sensitive location maybe... and it fluctuates by 15 to 20° which is unusual versus my other cars (gt3, huracan, f430, .... etc)...

Tnx in advance for comments,help...

'24 FE

My emira reads 180 to 185F but when I'm driving spiritually up the hill on a hot day the temp goes to 200° and the car goes into limp mode. I have not checked the coolant level but don't even know where to check it ...can someone comment as to how ?

My other cars coolant temperature hardly ever budges but this car seems to have the temperature sensor at a very sensitive location maybe... and it fluctuates by 15 to 20° which is unusual versus my other cars (gt3, huracan, f430, .... etc)...

Tnx in advance for comments,help...

'24 FE
There are 2 coolant reservoirs. Both are under the engine cover. You can see the levels in both without removing the engine cover.
However it is easier if you remove the cover.

Its in the manual. Pretty sure 200 or below is normal but limp mode is not of course.

Related thread:
radiator.jpg

Last edited:
FYI I live in south Texas temperature’s reach 100 most summer days Emira temperature reached 195-200 a few times going to the beach 🏖️

I’m usually 190-200, no limp mode. I live in central Texas, which is quite hot and fairly humid. The engine always seems strong and happy at those temps.

My other cars coolant temperature hardly ever budges
Many other cars have a wide range for "normal" in which readout values (or needle position) doesn't change unless it rises or falls outside that range. My '01 BMW coolant temp needle hits due north about 40-50 deg F before the engine is at operating temp and will remain there even if the engine goes above normal. It then starts to travel again if the coolant is truly above the "normal" range. Lotus is giving us the straight sensor readout from what I can tell, so as others mentioned, you'll see transients. I've been at/over 200F on hot days sitting still and never had a limp mode (or any other engine fault, knock on wood).

Its in the manual. Pretty sure 200 or below is normal but limp mode is not of course.

Related thread:
View attachment 51645
It does suck that you can't check the water without removing engine compartment panels. You just know after repeatedly doing this it will end up breaking.

It does suck that you can't check the water without removing engine compartment panels. You just know after repeatedly doing this it will end up breaking.
Hey 👋 you can check both coolest levels without removing the cover.
1. Pop the trunk
2. With a flashlight shine light down between the air intake for the supercharger and the coolant reservoir.
3. Bend down and look through the thin vent slats. You will see the coolant level and the max fill line on the reservoir…
4. Follow a similar process for the coolant level of the supercharger that sits on the drives side of the engine bay close to the glass bulkhead..
Enjoy 😊

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back