• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I4 Delivery Date USA/Canada Updates

If you can’t daily a convertible S you won’t be able to daily the lotus. The 911 is almost the definition of a daily sports car.
I choose not to daily the 911 because it's a manual and I sit in line on the 405 most of my commute when I do have to be at the office. That was the thought behind going for the i4 to get the DCT and was excited about the Lotus/AMG partnership when it was announced (maybe less excited about it now given the somewhat spotty reviews of the timing on the shifting, but becoming more concerned about the health of the company at this point than the performance of the car).

I choose not to daily the 911 because it's a manual and I sit in line on the 405 most of my commute when I do have to be at the office. That was the thought behind going for the i4 to get the DCT and was excited about the Lotus/AMG partnership when it was announced (maybe less excited about it now given the somewhat spotty reviews of the timing on the shifting, but becoming more concerned about the health of the company at this point than the performance of the car).
Makes sense. Fair question. Honestly the lotus is an exotic car vs the porsche. Meaning a bit of a headache.

I think your concerns are warranted and I don’t see a lot of downside to waiting. The only one I would think is maybe not being able to spec a car to your individual preference. For some reason I feel like lotus is going to surprise us at some point and say Oh! No more emira.

Got this today....

Lotus has assigned the below VIN to your Emira:

SCCLEKMX2RHA44065

This indicates that your Emira has been sequenced for production!

Once produced, your Emira will be scheduled for transit to the US Port by boat, processed, and then transported to Galpin by truck. We will provide updates on your vehicle as we receive them from the factory.

The countdown is now on as to whether or not I even want the car anymore. Bought a 2006 Porsche Carrera S Convertible as my bridge car and I love the HELL out of it, but it's not something I can daily in LA.

Also, there are currently a minimum of SEVEN V6 FE's sitting at Galpin Lotus which tells me a lot of people are backing out of their orders. I'm a bit worried I'm buying a car from a company on the verge of disappearing....... Thoughts?.....
My thoughts are folks are backing out of their orders because the economy isn't doing well, not because the Emira isn't doing well. 2 to 3 years ago when folks put a deposit down interest rates were in the 3% range, currently in the 6% range. This slow economy climate has staggard home sales, car sales and most large purchases including the Emira.
Personally I'm excited to receive my I4 Emira and look forward to delivery day.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Fair question. Honestly the lotus is an exotic car vs the porsche. Meaning a bit of a headache.

I think your concerns are warranted and I don’t see a lot of downside to waiting. The only one I would think is maybe not being able to spec a car to your individual preference. For some reason I feel like lotus is going to surprise us at some point and say Oh! No more emira.
Yeah I do think that my gamble at this point is whether I stretch myself pretty thin keeping both cars and know that in the end I will likely lose money on the Emira and sell it before I'd ever consider selling the Porsche.

I've never bought a brand new car (let alone a personally spec'd exotic sportscar) but with the cost of cars skyrocketing I feel like this may be my one chance to have this kind of journey with a car. From it being announced in 2021, quick deposit always focused on the i4 AMG variant, taking my son to the launch event, bringing him to the test drive when the car made its rounds through LA, and now having the balls to bring this baby home and know for sure if it's as special as I thought it was before YouTubers started nit-picking about how it stands up against McLarens (true super cars in totally different league) or Caymans (Porsche build quality in same class but frankly boring cars to look at).

If I were to gauge my likelihood of taking delivery I'd put it at about 30% right now..... so it's time to go visit Galpin and take a look at all the orphan Emiras in many different color combos to see if it moves the needle!!

Got this today....

Lotus has assigned the below VIN to your Emira:

SCCLEKMX2RHA44065

This indicates that your Emira has been sequenced for production!

Once produced, your Emira will be scheduled for transit to the US Port by boat, processed, and then transported to Galpin by truck. We will provide updates on your vehicle as we receive them from the factory.

The countdown is now on as to whether or not I even want the car anymore. Bought a 2006 Porsche Carrera S Convertible as my bridge car and I love the HELL out of it, but it's not something I can daily in LA.

Also, there are currently a minimum of SEVEN V6 FE's sitting at Galpin Lotus which tells me a lot of people are backing out of their orders. I'm a bit worried I'm buying a car from a company on the verge of disappearing....... Thoughts?.....
Lotus has been on the “verge of disappearing” since 1987.

Yeah I do think that my gamble at this point is whether I stretch myself pretty thin keeping both cars and know that in the end I will likely lose money on the Emira and sell it before I'd ever consider selling the Porsche.

I've never bought a brand new car (let alone a personally spec'd exotic sportscar) but with the cost of cars skyrocketing I feel like this may be my one chance to have this kind of journey with a car. From it being announced in 2021, quick deposit always focused on the i4 AMG variant, taking my son to the launch event, bringing him to the test drive when the car made its rounds through LA, and now having the balls to bring this baby home and know for sure if it's as special as I thought it was before YouTubers started nit-picking about how it stands up against McLarens (true super cars in totally different league) or Caymans (Porsche build quality in same class but frankly boring cars to look at).

If I were to gauge my likelihood of taking delivery I'd put it at about 30% right now..... so it's time to go visit Galpin and take a look at all the orphan Emiras in many different color combos to see if it moves the needle!!
No regret move is to pick up the emira used if it feels right at some point. Probably minimal dollar impact if you decide to unload it.

However I get the desire to spec the car. It’s a first for me too and I am ok to pay for the privilege.

Definitely checkout Galpin. Seeing these cars in the flesh is different than online.

Running this first I4 VIN on the Gov Vin decoders https://www.nhtsa.gov/vin-decoder
Looks like Lotus still needs to finalize details with the Gov.....this one indicates 360HP.

Trim: First Edition
Cylinders: 4
Primary Fuel Type: Gasoline
Engine Model: AMG 139
Engine Brake (HP): 360
Engine Manufacturer: Mercedes-AMG
Transmission Style: Automatic
Engine Displacement (L): 2

Regarding Lotus's Inc stability, suspect with Geely constantly infusing/pouring cash into Lotus it wont collapse. Read somewhere they only paid ~ $65 M for Lotus.

Running this first I4 VIN on the Gov Vin decoders https://www.nhtsa.gov/vin-decoder
Looks like Lotus still needs to finalize details with the Gov.....this one indicates 360HP.

Regarding Lotus's Inc stability, suspect with Geely constantly infusing/pouring cash into Lotus it wont collapse. Read somewhere they only paid ~ $65 M for Lotus.
I just ran my VIN which is very close to this one….. still says 298 KW for power.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpeg
    IMG_3353.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 20
Regarding Lotus's Inc stability, suspect with Geely constantly infusing/pouring cash into Lotus it wont collapse. Read somewhere they only paid ~ $65 M for Lotus. [/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

100 % agree. Geely plans to take Lotus down the same road as Elon Musk took Tesla. Unfortunately for us gear heads it's the Electric Highway.

Ran my VIN….. confusing. Used the UK vin decoder and then today the US decoder. The uk says 400bhp, the USA decoder says 360bhp. Which is it? Same vin for both.

Attachments

• IMG_3354.jpeg
    IMG_3354.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 16
Ran my VIN….. confusing. Used the UK vin decoder and then today the US decoder. The uk says 400bhp, the USA decoder says 360bhp. Which is it? Same vin for both.
Both - in typical Lotus fashion.
One vin, one decoder, two numbers.
US delivery Vin # (came through for me yesterday )
Don't know the significance of "From" in the bhp entry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240818-121248_DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot_20240818-121248_DuckDuckGo.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 13
298Kw is 400hp, rest of the world (except China) gets the 268Kw which is 360hp.
So, on the same VIN readout it states 298kw but then show 360bhp. But I do notice it says “From 360”. Therefore do we interpret this as they are getting CARB cert from 360bhp and up? Meaning First Edition getting the 400hp then base model starting at 360hp? Just curious… that’s all this discussion is really. What are people’s guesses or maybe someone actually knows?

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
So, on the same VIN readout it states 298kw but then show 360bhp. But I do notice it says “From 360”. Therefore do we interpret this as they are getting CARB cert from 360bhp and up? Meaning First Edition getting the 400hp then base model starting at 360hp? Just curious… that’s all this discussion is really. What are people’s guesses or maybe someone actually knows?
Nobody knows anything for certain. That's what makes all this do much FUN! Not.

Both - in typical Lotus fashion.
One vin, one decoder, two numbers.
US delivery Vin # (came through for me yesterday )
Don't know the significance of "From" in the bhp entry.
Yes, just posted in another thread about the “From” . (Sitting at airport waiting on delayed flight/killing some time) 😂

I hadn't thought about that. Maybe they are going to go ahead and release a 360hp version alongside a pricier 400hp version. If so, I'm glad they are doing the 400hp version for us first edition people.

All of this is due to an error/contradiction in the data provided to NHTSA by Lotus. Here's a link to the submission document:

The issue is it contains this:

1724014163107.png

And then it also contains this:

1724014200262.png

Since the actual VIN uses a "M" engine code, and we know that the "M" engine code is what's used for China, and the "K" engine codes used for UK/Europe/AUS are the ones with 360HP, I'm going to bet that they made a mistake with the 360HP figure, and that it really should be 400HP.

All of this is due to an error/contradiction in the data provided to NHTSA by Lotus. Here's a link to the submission document:

View attachment 49917

View attachment 49918

Since the actual VIN uses a "M" engine code, and we know that the "M" engine code is what's used for China, and the "K" engine codes used for UK/Europe/AUS are the ones with 360HP, I'm going to bet that they made a mistake with the 360HP figure, and that it really should be 400HP.
I think @Nova is spot on. Lotus already updated US website indicating 400 BHP i4. The question becomes, what is going on with the V6? I can't imagine they can sell a lower performing Emira for more money.

I think @Nova is spot on. Lotus already updated US website indicating 400 BHP i4. The question becomes, what is going on with the V6? I can't imagine they can sell a lower performing Emira for more money.
I wouldn’t call the V6 lower performance, in either manual or automatic, it’s simply a different configuration. Now as for the future, it seems that path is the AMG

View attachment 49917

View attachment 49918

Gotcha…. UK/Europe/AUS are KK, not the KM used for China & USA. That makes way more sense. Thanks 😊