• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

If the 400bhp V6 is not enough, which engine would be a good replacement?

In all seriousness, why do people want more than 400hp? I’ve never owned a car with so much power, and have still had a huge amount of fun driving them. There’s very few roads here in Australia that would justify massive straight line acceleration.

This however… https://www.greatoceanroadaustralia.org/
If Jenson Button says 400bhp is enough and you wouldn't want 800,it's so light,

Then that's good enough for me!

There is something else to consider. Gavan said the Emira is faster around Hethel than the Evora, so they've done something to it to make it quicker. It's also the 'first' edition, not the last GT edition, so I don't think it's really fair to expect it to start out as a non-gt version and have more power than the final GT version model that it's replacing. The ones with more power (most likely the i4 models) will be coming out later. This first edition should be plenty decent though.

In my Evora I can break the speed limit on 90% of my local roads in 2nd gear. 3rd is good to 100mph for the other 10%. I use full foot-to-the-floor throttle less than 5% of the time on the road, probably less than 1%. It's got 345hp.

I've driven an Evora GT410 and GT430 and they of course feel slightly quicker. But I couldn't use the extra power very much of the time.

It's OK if people want more power but for me 400hp is going to be fine for the vast majority of the roads and driving I do. I might get beaten away from the lights by a hot hatch occasionally, but that doesn't bother me.

It's OK if people want more power but for me 400hp is going to be fine for the vast majority of the roads and driving I do. I might get beaten away from the lights by a hot hatch occasionally, but that doesn't bother me.
Exactly this.

What would you rather have - a "supercar/Exotic looking" Emira or a sh!tb()x GTI (no offense VW Guys).

400bhp is more than enough for the weight.

Most other cars need extra BHP because theyre so heavy in comparison

400 is atrocious and it's sad that people are defending it. No one calls an exige 430 over powered. Most people who can actually drive would still say it's slow but somehow a car that weights 900 lbs more with less power is fine. No one with any driving skills would call a 3200 lb car with 400 hp adequate. The power train in this car is nothing short of a disaster and Lotus has been using it for over a decade with no upgrades. The Lotus fan boys defending this are no doubt the worst people in automotive culture. It's so obvious most of you have never spent any real time in high hp cars and think anything more than 500 hp will just spin tires, which again shows your ignorance. I get most of you are old and don't comprehend what new consumers want and that's why you will defend Lotus's mistakes all the way until bankruptcy

400 is atrocious and it's sad that people are defending it. No one calls an exige 430 over powered. Most people who can actually drive would still say it's slow but somehow a car that weights 900 lbs more with less power is fine. No one with any driving skills would call a 3200 lb car with 400 hp adequate. The power train in this car is nothing short of a disaster and Lotus has been using it for over a decade with no upgrades. The Lotus fan boys defending this are no doubt the worst people in automotive culture. It's so obvious most of you have never spent any real time in high hp cars and think anything more than 500 hp will just spin tires, which again shows your ignorance. I get most of you are old and don't comprehend what new consumers want and that's why you will defend Lotus's mistakes all the way until bankruptcy
I would answer this post if it wouldn't be at the highest level of silliness. Why do some people always think that they know what others want? I mean I understand the Dunning-Kruger-Effect, but I really hate it, because I have to observe it many times every day...
I look at the power thing like this: The most fun I can have with a car is on twisty mountain roads, where you can toggle through the gears, break and accelerate hard, drive through the corners with a lot of speed and so on. If I use a high hp car on those kind of roads I accelerate out of the corner, then after one or two seconds I have to lift the gas, drive steadily at let's say 20-30 kp/h more than allowed and wait for my next breaking point. With less hp, I stamp the accelerator, rev to the redline, shift, do the same again and don't stop it until I have to break. I'm using all the power all the time, get all the sound, all the revs and shifts and therefore all the fun.
High horsepower cars are best in an environment where I can't use anything more than straight line acceleration anyways. Of course accelerating is fun, but I get used to the silliest amounts of power within minutes. Therefore I only need a lot of hp, if acceleration is the only thing I can get out of my car and don't have the abilities or the roads to exploit the whole car. Another funny spot to use it is our Autobahn of course, but that get's old quite fast as well ;)

1645802882876.png

One of my best buddies that I went to college with many moons ago is from Rugby. He was an exchange student. His name is Ian. Tell him I said Hi. I have no idea why I am making this post because there is almost zero percent chance you know him lol but you are the first person I have seen from Rugby besides him.

V6 and Turbo
I'd be happy with any of the following unrealistic configurations:
  • single, twinscroll turbo with VVT
  • twincharged (supercharger for low-end response and larger turbo for high-end output)
  • compounded turbos

@xen I don't get it why you are still here in the forum if all you can do is criticize everything that Lotus is doing? It's getting boring 🥱

That was actually sarcasm not criticism. I stated what I prefaced was a contentious opinion that Lotus should have gone with the i4 - lighter, lower centre of gravity (thus better handling) - two of Lotus's cardinal principles.

You replied sarcastically about how not having a manual was very lotus. My post was to highlight how silly a statement that was for a company moving exclusively into (very heavy) EV's and SUV's.

No issues with that personally. The Evija looks immense and I would love to own one. Same with the the new SUV.

On the topic of power...let's be real guys...given two straight options between a 400hp and 500hp Emira for the same money how many of you would choose the 400hp version?

400hp sufficient for a fast road car but more isn't objectively worse. A 500bhp emira would be amazing and give some supercars a run for their money

P.S. Torque figures are conspicuously absent in this discussion...

On the topic of power...let's be real guys...given two straight options between a 400hp and 500hp Emira for the same money how many of you would choose the 400hp version?

400hp sufficient for a fast road car but more isn't objectively worse. A 500bhp emira would be amazing and give some supercars a run for their money

P.S. Torque figures are conspicuously absent in this discussion...
I guess it would depend on where you live. Honestly I would look at the insurance costs, and operating and maintenance costs before deciding. I already have a 500 hp car that I pretty much can barely use on the street. It's got a 6 speed manual trans, and I might as well stay in 2nd the whole time around town, or else shift into 3rd and putt along at 1,500 rpm which is all traffic speeds will allow.

400 or 416 is going to be fine for me, but that's just me. I can understand how others might want more for other driving situations, but I see that as a 'want' thing instead of a 'need' thing.

I’m interested. What would be your call it ideal outcome desired scenario? Not at all baiting here. Legit interested to know what the Goldilocks set-up would be. Sincerely.

Not really sure why people are questioning the Emira not having enough power when nobody has driven it yet. More power does not necessarily equal more speed and definitely is not a marker of fun or capabilities.
I agree with FederGigant post above. I currently have a 600hp car that whilst tremendous fun in a straight line is short lived and can't be fully enjoyed when driving down a twisty b road.

Back