• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

If the 400bhp V6 is not enough, which engine would be a good replacement?

a 718 S Porsche with 350 hp, 309 torque, is past the limit of adhesion if you stomp the gas on a well paved road. 400hp and lower gearing, which this Emira has, you will be a road vegetable. the car is less than 3200 lbs, most like 3100 and change. The car weighs too little to use that full pedal on a twisting road, nor even probably 1/2 pressed pedal. Straight line cars need downforce or all-wheel drive. 3600-3800 lbs car adds a huge amount of downforce for acceleration. Grip is everything at 300+ torque 300+ hp. a 500 hp version of this would behave no better than a 400 hp version. it is under 3200 lbs. That 100 above 300 hp would only be useful for 60 mph to 150 mph pulls to fight drag.

a 718 S Porsche with 350 hp, 309 torque, is past the limit of adhesion if you stomp the gas on a well paved road. 400hp and lower gearing, which this Emira has, you will be a road vegetable. the car is less than 3200 lbs, most like 3100 and change. The car weighs too little to use that full pedal on a twisting road, nor even probably 1/2 pressed pedal. Straight line cars need downforce or all-wheel drive. 3600-3800 lbs car adds a huge amount of downforce for acceleration. Grip is everything at 300+ torque 300+ hp. a 500 hp version of this would behave no better than a 400 hp version. it is under 3200 lbs. That 100 above 300 hp would only be useful for 60 mph to 150 mph pulls to fight drag.
I have to disagree with you my friend just take a look at the 992 GT3 which has over 500 horsepower and is similar in weight to the Emira, is rear wheel drive and seems capable of putting all that power down.
I know the GT3 is more rear engine based, but I think a 500hp Emira would be sweet.
Just saying.

I have to disagree with you my friend just take a look at the 992 GT3 which has over 500 horsepower and is similar in weight to the Emira, is rear wheel drive and seems capable of putting all that power down.
I know the GT3 is more rear engine based, but I think a 500hp Emira would be sweet.
Just saying.
rear wheel drive with a rear engine is much more weight on the tires than a mid engine vehicle of the same weight. really have to look at how weight transfer works for downforce. Also, the gt3 has +100 lbs more weight. Do you know that the lower the car the less it has? drop a car 1 inch and the traction gets worse on acceleration. A tall ford GT500 gets great acceleration due to it being a fat pig and having a very tall top compared to most in its particular class. The rear engine + the weight transfer during acceleration makes a 911 accelerate fast. It also makes it spin out and die, so that's fun too.

rear wheel drive with a rear engine is much more weight on the tires than a mid engine vehicle of the same weight. really have to look at how weight transfer works for downforce. Also, the gt3 has +100 lbs more weight. Do you know that the lower the car the less it has? drop a car 1 inch and the traction gets worse on acceleration. A tall ford GT500 gets great acceleration due to it being a fat pig and having a very tall top compared to most in its particular class. The rear engine + the weight transfer during acceleration makes a 911 accelerate fast. It also makes it spin out and die, so that's fun too.
If you look at where the engine sits on the Emira - almost over the rear axel - you could make the argument it’s mid-rear engined.

The GT3 is a great counterpoint. The Emira fully specced is about 100lbs heavier than the ‘in its lightest configuration’ being touted. I haven’t heard anyone complain about the GT3 being too powerful to enjoy. Chris Harris has a manual 991.2 and adores it.

I think it's worthwhile to differentiate between street use and track use. For track, yeah 500 or more would be great, because you're getting up to triple digit speeds every lap, and trying to maintain as high a speed overall as you can. That's not the same situation on the street. On the street it isn't really a matter of how much do you need, so much as how much can you realistically use. Traffic makes it impossible to do much other than whatever the speed of traffic is unless I go out of the metropolitan area, which means a special trip just for that purpose. That's okay, but not something I can do on a daily basis. I don't live in an area where an extra 100 hp would make any difference. 400 or 416 is going to be plenty, anything above that is 3rd gear and up speeds, and that's just not practical or safe here.

For those that want more than 400-416 hp in an Emira, those models are a few years away. I don't really need that, and it's certainly not worth waiting years for it. The Emira as-is will be plenty of fun.

A Ferrari engine would be nice I have to say
Something like this? http://www.speedhunters.com/2022/02/ferrari-488-meets-lotus-exige/

1645894781114.png

Didn’t Jenson Button in an Emira video say the car doesn’t need any more power. I know some of that will be marketing but he is an F1 guy and didn’t have to say that on the script. Harry’s Garage on the Evora doesn’t ever say it needs more power for the roads either….

That is absolutely nuts! Highly impractical as a road car, but goodness me that would have been some project. (y)

However, have to agree with the others that the Emira V6 will be just right as it is, except perhaps I wish it weighed less. Never had the experience of owning a sports car with a naturally aspirated V8 engine - would have loved it if that happened to be the Emira.

Last edited:
I think 400HP is just fine, actually I really don't know. Never driven a Lotus or a mid engine car. I do drive with cars more than 500HP though.

The most practical use for more horsepower at least in my world is for doing pulls on the interstate when you get challenged. Pulls are quick and you can stay near the speed limit.

Didn’t Jenson Button in an Emira video say the car doesn’t need any more power. I know some of that will be marketing but he is an F1 guy and didn’t have to say that on the script. Harry’s Garage on the Evora doesn’t ever say it needs more power for the roads either….
Guys. It’s stated to be close to 4.5 sec 0-60. It needs more power.

Bmw 1/2 the price is much faster

Track, blah blah. But in this day a car that looks like this having that slow of acceleration is just underpowered. 450-500 would be perfect.

Guys. It’s stated to be close to 4.5 sec 0-60. It needs more power.

Bmw 1/2 the price is much faster

Track, blah blah. But in this day a car that looks like this having that slow of acceleration is just underpowered. 450-500 would be perfect.
It doesn't need it, you just think that you want it, because that's how people are ;) Btw. which 1/2 price BMW do you mean? I can't find it, but I want it.

It doesn't need it, you just think that you want it, because that's how people are ;) Btw. which 1/2 price BMW do you mean? I can't find it, but I want it.
M240i 0-60 3.6 seconds Per C&D, 4.1 per BMW

Still waiting for 2023 M2 data which will be much faster still at a price still way less than Emira, it may well get my purchase once announced if it’s not uglified like the M3/4.

Needs and wants in the sports car realm are indeed ambiguous, fair enough. Just don’t want to wake up after making a beer goggle decision….

Last edited:
M2 vs EMIRA….. regardless of 0-60 time,
EMIRA any time. Life is full of twist and turns…. Lotus. Every. Time.

Back