• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

If the 400bhp V6 is not enough, which engine would be a good replacement?

M240i 0-60 3.6 seconds Per C&D, 4.1 per BMW

Still waiting for 2023 M2 data which will be much faster still at a price still way less than Emira, it may well get my purchase once announced if it’s not uglified like the M3/4.

Needs and wants in the sports car realm are indeed ambiguous, fair enough. Just don’t want to wake up after making a beer goggle decision….
Well in Germany BMW charges 56.000€ plus extras, roughly 12.000€ to match the Emira. That makes 68.000€ for the BMW and 95.000€ for the Emira. 0-60 is rated at 4.3 seconds (BMW website), in the V6 FE spec sheet the Emira is also rated at 4.3 seconds. The BMW can only do this 0-60 time due to all-wheel-drive of course. It also has to be considered that your 0-60 numbers don't match ours in Europe, because you are doing this rolling start stuff for the measurements. I guess we are agreeing on the fact that comparing standard Emira to ECU tuned BMW is ridiculous, right?

People seem to act as if competitive acceleration and handling have to be mutually exclusive. What's wrong with wanting sub 4.0 zero-to-sixty while maintaining the excellent drivability we expect? 400HP will be enough for most, but I do think 460-500hp would be the sweet spot for the Emira. I wouldn't doubt if it ends up in that realm in the final year or two of manufacture (Emira GT perhaps?).

There's a reason the 911 GT3 has maintained ~3100lb/~500hp for multiple product cycles. It's been said that 6lb/hp is about the max power-to-weight ratio you can utilize on the street while still being fantastic on the track. The V6 Emira is 8lb/hp which is about the minimum I'd accept for a proper sports car.

If I can upgrade to 480hp for less than $10k aftermarket I'll likely be doing it. I'm also hoping Lotus is sandbagging their marketing numbers a bit (HP and acceleration) for the FE Emira.

It competes with the 718 it's as fast as the 718. Comparing the Emira to 4wd 'hot hatches' with automatic gearboxes is completely moot. Comparing it to the next class up and 911s and Mclarens moot.
Nobody called my M2 Comp slow and they have similar power and the M2 is 150kg heavier.
If its all about straight line speed the Emira isn't for you, it's designed to be driven not drag race. 300bhp is enough for the road. 400 plus will be fine

Of course there are better options if you are looking for the best $ to hp ratio. What I tend to think when I'm looking at your locations is that the people that want more power are mostly from the US. It might have something to to with you having wider and more open roads, going straight ahead for many miles. If I think of the roads I plan to have fun on, 500 hp would just be equal to suicide.

Of course there are better options if you are looking for the best $ to hp ratio. What I tend to think when I'm looking at your locations is that the people that want more power are mostly from the US. It might have something to to with you having wider and more open roads, going straight ahead for many miles. If I think of the roads I plan to have fun on, 500 hp would just be equal to suicide.
I was going to mention the USA/UK divide on bhp but thought I wouldn't go there 😅
I do understand it 😁 but its a British car at the end of the day that loves the twisties and costs $100k not 200k

It wasn't meant to offend anybody of course, it's just a fact that the average US road looks a bit different to UK b roads or in the black forest here in Germany or the like. Some U.A.E. guys wanted more hp as well. Their roads are perfectly even, wide, and drawn with a ruler.

It wasn't meant to offend anybody of course, it's just a fact that the average US road looks a bit different to UK b roads or in the black forest here in Germany or the like. Some U.A.E. guys wanted more hp as well. Their roads are perfectly even, wide, and drawn with a ruler.
I know 😀 . But at the end of the day I think we all know that it doesn't matter how much power you have you always want more! Especially if your local roads are straight as an arrow 🏹 The Emira will be almost as fast as a Ferrari F40. I've been in mates cars electric and petrol and 0-60 in 2 seconds gets dull reasonably quickly. Much rather be able to use all of the power all of the time. A lot more important to me anyway. But appreciate everyone wants different things

I know 😀 . But at the end of the day I think we all know that it doesn't matter how much power you have you always want more! Especially if your local roads are straight as an arrow 🏹 The Emira will be almost as fast as a Ferrari F40. I've been in mates cars electric and petrol and 0-60 in 2 seconds gets dull reasonably quickly. Much rather be able to use all of the power all of the time. A lot more important to me anyway. But appreciate everyone wants different things
I can't comment on EVs' acceleration characteristics because I've never driven one and to be honest am trying to put it off as long as possible. However, a Ferrari F40 - from 1987 - does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, top speed 203mph. Significantly quicker than an Emira.

A current F8 Tributo will reach 60 in 2.7 seconds. It's about the same weight as the Emira. And its ride and handling will utterly destroy the Emira. I'm not joking - the dynamics of a modern Ferrari are witchcraft.

The real problem is everyone thinking they're getting a Ferrari for 1/3 the price. You're not - not even close.

My Elise SC has a similar power to weight ratio as the Emira, and similar 0-60. It's fine on the road. But not electrifying. Sub 4s from the Emira and a higher rev limit would have been nice...

M2 vs EMIRA….. regardless of 0-60 time,
EMIRA any time. Life is full of twist and turns…. Lotus. Every. Time.
Nurburgring:

M2: 7.42.99
Cayman S: 7:47
Evora: 7:59

Lots of reasons to chose either, but don’t make up a world in which somehow Lotus is magically faster around the track than others.

400 horsepower.......it is what it is, but I think what's even more important than horsepower is to have lower gearing in the car, especially in the V6 manual Emira, which would require more gear shifting, which equals way more fun.

Frankly a lot on here is just confirmation bias. 500bhp not usable on the road is nonsense, it’s a pedal not an on/off switch

Lotus built a new car that’s slower in a straight like than it’s outgoing model. How anyone can advocate that as a good thing is simply fan service.

Doesn’t stop it being a good, if very pretty car - if let’s actually be honest is the main reason we’re all buying one.

Frankly a lot on here is just confirmation bias. 500bhp not usable on the road is nonsense, it’s a pedal not an on/off switch

Lotus built a new car that’s slower in a straight like than it’s outgoing model. How anyone can advocate that as a good thing is simply fan service.

Doesn’t stop it being a good, if very pretty car - if let’s actually be honest is the main reason we’re all buying one.
Actually my first choices would have been a Porsche GT3 Touring manual, or GT4 manual, but since I don't qualify the Lotus Emira is my really only option.
Not that many manual sports car choices left.
I must admit that the Emira is a much better looking car than both Porsches.

Actually my first choices would have been a Porsche GT3 Touring manual, or GT4 manual, but since I don't qualify the Lotus Emira is my really only option.
Not that many manual sports car choices left.
I must admit that the Emira is a much better looking car than both Porsches.
Actually had a shot at a GT4RS but the styling’s just a bit too aggressive for me. Even as a weekend car it would have been a bit too extreme. That flat 6 though….

Maybe it is too easy, but I would go for an i4 and tune it up to 500 hp. Just my 2 cts.

Nurburgring:

M2: 7.42.99
Cayman S: 7:47
Evora: 7:59

Lots of reasons to chose either, but don’t make up a world in which somehow Lotus is magically faster around the track than others.
Lotus don't really do the NR though. Be great if more mags had tested the Evora, strange that they didn't really, altho that will all change with Emira no doubt.
I did find this which is a good little read and puts the Lotus into context

Maybe it is too easy, but I would go for an i4 and tune it up to 500 hp. Just my 2 cts.
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but I can't imagine getting this car and not getting the V6. If you want more HP then this is not the car for you in my opinion. Get the V6 for the sound and feel (plus the manual transmission if that's your thing). Again, just my opinion.

There's something else to consider. Instead of adding horsepower with all its associated costs and liabilities, in the words of Colin Chapman, "add lightness". Replace the factory seats with light carbon-fiber seats. Start going with carbon fiber as those panels become available. Get a titanium exhaust; most likely there'll be an offering from Akrapovic or TubiStyle. There's also likely to be custom performance parts available from the Lotus Advanced Performance group.

If you're going to add power, that's not going to be cheap. Spend that money instead on adding lightness; you'll be faster everywhere, not just on the straights.

Actually had a shot at a GT4RS but the styling’s just a bit too aggressive for me. Even as a weekend car it would have been a bit too extreme. That flat 6 though….
GT4RS=no manual so not for me.
It's too bad Porsche doesn't make any RS version with a manual transmission.
Guess the brains at Porsche think 0-60mph, and lap times are more important than driver engagement, involvement and fun.
Which really couldn't be further from the truth since these are usually second or third pleasure cars for most owners.
Why not give customers the choice?

GT4RS=no manual so not for me.
It's too bad Porsche doesn't make any RS version with a manual transmission.
Guess the brains at Porsche think 0-60mph, and lap times are more important than driver engagement, involvement and fun.
Which really couldn't be further from the truth since these are usually second or third pleasure cars for most owners.
Why not give customers the choice?
I think the GT3s are on the limit of being a road car now, so I think Porsche deam the RS models too fast for manual now!

Back