• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

If the 400bhp V6 is not enough, which engine would be a good replacement?

I think the GT3s are on the limit of being a road car now, so I think Porsche deam the RS models too fast for manual now!
Or maybe their manual transmissions simply aren't strong enough for the increased power, and they don't want to put the time, effort and money into making more robust ones.

GT4RS=no manual so not for me.
It's too bad Porsche doesn't make any RS version with a manual transmission.
Guess the brains at Porsche think 0-60mph, and lap times are more important than driver engagement, involvement and fun.
Which really couldn't be further from the truth since these are usually second or third pleasure cars for most owners.
Why not give customers the choice?
It's not that. Porsche doesn't have a manual gearbox made that is both able to work with the Cayman's mid-mounted engine and able to take the horsepower and torque. This is directly from Andreas Preuninger

Since almost all sports car manufacturers have abandoned the manual transmission, if you want a sports car with over 500hp with a proper manual transmission, your only choice today is a Porsche GT3.
And it's really not a choice for most of us, since you have to qualify for GT cars by owning x number of previous Porsches.
Wow, manual lovers now have zero options for buying a high horsepower sports car.
There was one other option for those who had very deep pockets, the Gordon Murray t33, but alas they are all sold out.
It's funny how Gordon Murray understands that passionate sports car owners want a manual transmission.
Very sad.😢
Screenshot_20220228-112147_Samsung Internet.jpg

Radford might be another option in the GT3 price and power range ;) But yeah, options are very limited indeed. No major manufacturer is offering a high powered manual sports car anymore.

Nurburgring:
M2: 7.42.99
Cayman S: 7:47
Evora: 7:59

Lots of reasons to chose either, but don’t make up a world in which somehow Lotus is magically faster around the track than others.
You must have mistaken my post… I’m not a professional driver driving on the N-burg ring!!

My point was that I’m just after a beautiful car for plain old me with fun around the bends which gives me plenty of driving feedback and joy. Maybe a low hip point in the car, an engine behind my ears, curves to oodle at in my garage on the weekend, and a few car factoids to chat about with my car mates and rare enough for me to feel special when driving it whilst not breaking my back with race hard suspension. Ring times are largely irrelevant to me personally.

M4 comes with manual and plenty of HP for a great price. Easily modded to much higher power levels.

I'm sorry but I just don't consider "M cars" as sports cars, more like sport sedans even though they have 2 doors, if you get my drift.
Big difference.
View attachment 3454

View attachment 3455
Agree chalk and cheese. Had a lot of replies to catch up on this tread ! Didn’t realise the 0-60 and top speed numbers were that critical. I’m not that interested in the stats it’s much more than numbers.

Frankly a lot on here is just confirmation bias. 500bhp not usable on the road is nonsense, it’s a pedal not an on/off switch

Lotus built a new car that’s slower in a straight like than it’s outgoing model. How anyone can advocate that as a good thing is simply fan service.

Doesn’t stop it being a good, if very pretty car - if let’s actually be honest is the main reason we’re all buying one.
This really did bother me. What if Porsche came out with a new 911 less powerful than the outgoing model? It simply wouldn't happen. They'd be a laughing stock. In reality, the new base 911 has at least the same performance as the outgoing S, and so on up the range.

Plus the use of an engine that's been in Lotus cars since 2009, and Toyotas since 2005. Remember: the comparisons between the Emira V6 and Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0 / GT4 are between a practically-obsolete supercharged (it only makes around 270bhp without) engine and a modern, high-revving naturally-aspirated motor.

This really did bother me. What if Porsche came out with a new 911 less powerful than the outgoing model? It simply wouldn't happen. They'd be a laughing stock. In reality, the new base 911 has at least the same performance as the outgoing S, and so on up the range.

Plus the use of an engine that's been in Lotus cars since 2009, and Toyotas since 2005. Remember: the comparisons between the Emira V6 and Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0 / GT4 are between a practically-obsolete supercharged (it only makes around 270bhp without) engine and a modern, high-revving naturally-aspirated motor.
I guess since Lotus is a very small, boutique sports car manufacturer they don't have the budget to design and build their own engines, it is what it is.
I think with what they have to work with, they've done an amazing job in the design of the Emira.
Really looks more like a supercar than a sports car to me.
I just hope it has Lotus's legendary handling.
I hope Lotus will put an exhaust on off button for North American cars, or give us a way to leave it on.
And with that Toyota sourced engine reliability shouldn't really be an issue.

Sorry the point seemed to be “buy the lotus it’s better in the curves” and times would seem to argue against that.

I get that we all buy cars that speak to us - that’s why I’m here and have a deposit.

But I also respect bmw engineering- they make outstanding cars.

Sorry the point seemed to be “buy the lotus it’s better in the curves” and times would seem to argue against that.

I get that we all buy cars that speak to us - that’s why I’m here and have a deposit.

That’s why I said irrespective to 0-60 times (ie acceleration or speed)….. it’s definitely more than fast enough for most Road users - here in wet and slippy Scotland, too much power actually hinders progress. I was actually looking to buy a Caterham 7, but the Scottish weather made me think twice!

Also, Lotus are infamous for their handling and feedback, so I doubt the hydraulic steering rack and all around double wishbone suspension with lotus tuned blistein dampers will disappoint. I had actually moved onto EVs, but yet I had to put down a deposit for the Emira. Last shout out to mostly mechanical ICE powered sport car with modern technology. I had to have one for the future.
There may be faster cars on sale today, few will have the trusty hydraulic steering and masterfully tuned mechanical chassis. Nostalgic yet bang up to date. Almost a retromod Evora, except this one is a brand new bargain.

#ForTheCurves - so good and has two meanings! :)

I guess since Lotus is a very small, boutique sports car manufacturer they don't have the budget to design and build their own engines, it is what it is.
I think with what they have to work with, they've done an amazing job in the design of the Emira.
Really looks more like a supercar than a sports car to me.
I just hope it has Lotus's legendary handling.
I hope Lotus will put an exhaust on off button for North American cars, or give us a way to leave it on.
And with that Toyota sourced engine reliability shouldn't really be an issue.
I get that they don't have the budget to design and build their own engine. That budget is given over to developing the EV platform. But take KTM as an example: they're using advanced Honda engines and transmissions in their cars, and are presumably targeting a way smaller market than the Emira.

So how about an Emira with the 2.5l turbo Audi engine from the KTM X-BOW GTX - 520bhp and 480 lb-ft of torque? Honda make a manual transmission that would pair nicely with it too. In fact, if it could be anything like the S2000 manual shift, that was one of the very finest transmissions ever. That would have been an entirely different proposition, would have justified the Emira's 'supercar' looks and might have kept my deposit in.

Here’s a good comparison of the M2CS with Evora GT.

The Emira will be at least one up on the Evora, one would hope.

Last edited:
Back