I'm out - the cancellations thread

I don't like to think that I'm out but I've cancelled my FE and am waiting to see if Lotus can sort the myriad of production issues in later variants. I'm not interested in a 100k manual and the i4 reviews are baffling. The lighter car with more torque should win a sprint between the two engines. Anyhoo, Lotus USA has more allocation available for i4s than demand so...
Why cancel an FE spot in line? If you didn’t get an invitation to confirm your order you weren’t getting one. At least you could have stayed in line for the Base model which depending on your spot would probably be a Summer 2024 order with either a Q4 or 2025 Q1 delivery, at the earliest.

Why cancel an FE spot in line? If you didn’t get an invitation to confirm your order you weren’t getting one. At least you could have stayed in line for the Base model which depending on your spot would probably be a Summer 2024 order with either a Q4 or 2025 Q1 delivery, at the earliest.
It always baffles me.why people question why others drop out? It's almost like they wish they could drop out but somethibg is holding them back...
But what is that "thing?"

I’m not exactly out yet but one more delay and I will be. I’ve been in since July of ‘21 and missed the cut for the FE1 by a couple of spots…. After hearing nothing about securing a place for an FE2 I finally satisfied my desire for an English sports car by buying a McLaren only to be contacted by my dealer shortly thereafter with a confirmation that I was in for an Emira FE 2.0.

I had 5 days to enter my config for a purported “January/December production with an anticipated May/June ‘24 delivery” or three years post-deposit. This has been a continuous game of “Hurry Up and Wait”

Of course my dealer had no samples of the additional colors so I had to kinda wing that…

This forum has been an immense form of info relative to what I’ve received from either my dealer or, of course, Lotus corporate. Wharton should use this as a class dedicated to an example of how NOT to build brand loyalty.

I’m not exactly out yet but one more delay and I will be. I’ve been in since July of ‘21 and missed the cut for the FE1 by a couple of spots…. After hearing nothing about securing a place for an FE2 I finally satisfied my desire for an English sports car by buying a McLaren only to be contacted by my dealer shortly thereafter with a confirmation that I was in for an Emira FE 2.0.

I had 5 days to enter my config for a purported “January/December production with an anticipated May/June ‘24 delivery” or three years post-deposit. This has been a continuous game of “Hurry Up and Wait”

Of course my dealer had no samples of the additional colors so I had to kinda wing that…

This forum has been an immense form of info relative to what I’ve received from either my dealer or, of course, Lotus NA. Wharton should use this as an escape of how NOT to build brand loyalty.
When did you find out about your FE 2.0 Allocation and how long did they give you to confirm spec? @Pegasi got 5 days from his dealer.

It really is incredible that Lotus N/A expects people at the drop of a hat to complete this in 5 days after waiting 2.5 years. No question the North American market is being handled terribly compared to what I read from other places around the world.

When did you find out about your FE 2.0 Allocation and how long did they give you to confirm spec? @Pegasi got 5 days from his dealer.

It really is incredible that Lotus N/A expects people at the drop of a hat to complete this in 5 days after waiting 2.5 years. No question the North American market is being handled terribly compared to what I read from other places around the world.
I emailed my dealer about 2 weeks ago to ask for an update. He called me yesterday because he was surprised he had not heard from me. Turns out he had an email in his outbox offering me the FE 2.0 that was never sent. So technically I probably had a little over two weeks, but since the communication mishap, I now only have 5 days. Just wanted to give the full story.

I was contacted in Mid -August and given 5 days to get them my config after waiting over 2 years post deposit. When I offered to come into the dealership to look at their color samples they were adamant that they simply didn’t have any.

Even if I had the wherewithal to go to Hethel and look at actual colors on cars, they weren’t producing all 13 yet and that certainly wasn’t going to get done in the time allotted.

I was contacted in Mid -August and given 5 days to get them my config after waiting over 2 years post deposit. When I offered to come into the dealership to look at their color samples they were adamant that they simply didn’t have any.

Even if I had the wherewithal to go to Hethel and look at actual colors on cars, they weren’t producing all 13 yet and that certainly wasn’t going to get done in the time allotted.
The next big deadline will perhaps be posting on this (I'm Out) thread. Emiras will arrive in North America late 4Q and Forum posts will explode with photos and narratives.
The Big Wait does have an expiration date.
I confess to being a high-endurance optimist.

I have cancelled my order because Lotus is an absolute shambles

I think the title says it all.
Running a company from behind a wall of 'customer service' with little or no repercussions for absolutely appalling communications and response times is not acceptable.
How can I buy one of their cars when there is NO SUPPORT.
Absolute shambles and I will not be giving them my money.
So far I have waited a month for my deposit back and TODAY I get a response asking me to jump through more hoops. DISGUSTING.

I cancelled my order because my experience with Lotus under Chinese management is a sack of muck.

A dealer network that is nothing more than a sales window. No support and communication hidden behind a wall of plastic customer services representatives all reading from a script and saying "sorry" all the time but with nothing to back it up. Utter shambles.

I am very surprised why people rush into putting deposits down and then expecting it back whenever they feel they can pull out without any consequences. I rather believe in a world where you put your money where your mouth is. Fine to pull out...but it will cost you...

Also, the car is great, and Lotus is like it has always been, it why it has charm and is not mainstream.

My few cents...

I am very surprised why people rush into putting deposits down and then expecting it back whenever they feel they can pull out without any consequences. I rather believe in a world where you put your money where your mouth is. Fine to pull out...but it will cost you...

Also, the car is great, and Lotus is like it has always been, it why it has charm and is not mainstream.

My few cents...

A few more cents...

Lotus should deliver the cars they promised.

My few cents...

even more few cents

Its been years. Our expectation was we would receive one by the years end after it was reveled. Its completely reasonable to want a deposit back 2+ years after making it. If they cant deliver a vehicle, they have breached the contract.

Truthfully, depositors should be pissed off. Not one car delivered to USA as of yet.

Truthfully, depositors should understand that the waiting list for a Corvette Z06 is at least two years, and I can only imagine what the wait time is for a Porsche GT3.

Truthfully, some people are very emotional.

some of the folks are way more patient than I am. After years of waiting and getting nothing, they’re continuing to wait despite the crappy CS. Is the expectation that it will get better at some point? Hope people know what they’re in for if it’s already this bad. I no longer have a dog in this fight as I got my deposit back 6 months ago but checking in every now and then to see if US people have even received their cars yet. Even communication with the dealer has been lacking. Great for those that have the patience, know what they’re getting, and continuing to wait. On the other hand, I applaud those that voted with their wallet.

some of the folks are way more patient than I am. After years of waiting and getting nothing, they’re continuing to wait despite the crappy CS. Is the expectation that it will get better at some point? Hope people know what they’re in for if it’s already this bad. I no longer have a dog in this fight as I got my deposit back 6 months ago but checking in every now and then to see if US people have even received their cars yet. Even communication with the dealer has been lacking. Great for those that have the patience, know what they’re getting, and continuing to wait. On the other hand, I applaud those that voted with their wallet.

No cars and no comms.

I've been and plan on being patient for a few more months. Mainly because there was nothing else that caught my eye or attention at the price point, and uniqueness of the Emira. The electric 718 (728?) is starting to catch my attention though, but even that is a few years away...

Nice dig on people still in the game. I’m pretty sure we know what we’re getting and why we’re staying in.

My few cents...
Longest I waited for a car was an Ariel Nomad and Ariel were great at keeping me informed and had good communication. I waited over two years for that one! Oh an I also have an A110. Neither of those are 'mainstream', so my expectations are pretty realistic.

As for Lotus being 'like it always has been'; I owned plenty of them but back in the day when dealers were dealers and they could run their business the way they liked. Now a lotus dealer is just a shop window for a virtual car company from China. They don't even have any say on where a customer can test drive or for how long. Hethel may be where the factory is but the ethos is coming from the guys in Chinese suits hiding behind plastic customer service call centers.

The plethora of issues with new vehicles and the utter mess that is customer services do not make good bedfellows.

Deposits are often placed in good faith. That faith is broken. It doesn't help that Lotus made a huge loss last year and is threatening 200 jobs at Hethel. Do I want them holding £4k of my money any longer - no thanks!
I have waited for ages and I am jumping ship. If you want to be evangelical about Lotus then that's up to you. They are NOT the company they used to be.

EDIT: There is pressure applied to customers to place a 'speculative deposit' and then get a test drive arranged by Lotus. Months later - still no cars available to test. Dealer is impotent to do anything about it.

Last edited:
I am very surprised why people rush into putting deposits down and then expecting it back whenever they feel they can pull out without any consequences..........

We expect no consequences because that is what our Written Deposit Contract says! Full Refund at anytime prior to build order being placed with Lotus....... If Lotus has not yet asked for your configuration and indicated you have an upcoming build slot, then per the contract you can get your deposit back with no consequences.

My question would be: Why would anyone place a Deposit without a written Deposit Contract stating Full Refund up until an order is placed with Lotus?

It also explains why Lotus asks for your configuration and says you have a build slot 4+ months before they actually manufacture your car. Locks you in now even if they delay another year! At this point, I would defer (my dealer says I can do that in writing) my order until I actually see North America cars being manufactured and delivered. I've waited this long, a few more months to ensure a $100K purchase is up to Quality & goes smoothly is worth the extra wait.

We expect no consequences because that is what our Written Deposit Contract says! Full Refund at anytime prior to build order being placed with Lotus....... If Lotus has not yet asked for your configuration and indicated you have an upcoming build slot, then per the contract you can get your deposit back with no consequences.

My question would be: Why would anyone place a Deposit without a written Deposit Contract stating Full Refund up until an order is placed with Lotus?

It also explains why Lotus asks for your configuration and says you have a build slot 4+ months before they actually manufacture your car. Locks you in now even if they delay another year! At this point, I would defer (my dealer says I can do that in writing) my order until I actually see North America cars being manufactured and delivered. I've waited this long, a few more months to ensure a $100K purchase is up to Quality & goes smoothly is worth the extra
This is just symptomatic. The lotus we all knew and loved in my case for over 40 years and many cars is gone . You can blame the owners or the management but I cancelled my order some months ago. The car is pretty and the tech updated but Evoras are a better drive, customer services are the worst I have ever experienced and I am a long term lotus owner. All very sad , I so wanted to support a British product. So many cars for sale in the UK already.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back