I'm out - the cancellations thread

Well after putting my deposit down on 7th July 21, I've sent an Email today to CC to request a return to my £5K deposit.
Thanks for the support received on here, its a great forum, especially TomE who has been brilliant from day one.
Here's hoping my refund doesn't take too long

Last edited:
Well after putting my deposit down on 7th July 21, I've sent an Email today to CC to request a return to my £5K deposit.
Thanks for the support received on here, its a great forum, especially TomE who has been brilliant from day one.
Here's hoping my refund doesn't take too long
That's a shame. What was it that made you pull out after so long? I would expect your car must be due very soon now?

Its lots of reasons to be honest, all well documented by others.
Deliveries far later than expected, which in turn has meant that the prices have increased (Even though we were reassured that wouldn't happen). The increased prices have left me looking at alternatives (Mostly used Vehicles), there's lots to choose from on the used market, for car between £75K - £90K.
This along with there being plenty of nearly new Emira's on the 2nd hand market or even new ones being offered by Lotus, that are cheaper than new RRP, has made my decision to request my deposit money back.
As a longtime Lotus owner, it depresses me how Lotus have dealt with us depositors, but in reality, I'm not surprised. Good old/New Lotus.

*Edit to add
It's nothing to do with the car, I had my first drive of one on the wknd and see the finished article since the reveal.

Last edited:
One week on from sending an Email to Lotus CC to request the return of my deposit, and I' haven't had a reply even after asking for confirmation of the Email:(.
I suppose I am going to have to try and get through by phone, not sure how hard that is these days 🤷‍♂️

One week on from sending an Email to Lotus CC to request the return of my deposit, and I' haven't had a reply even after asking for confirmation of the Email:(.
I suppose I am going to have to try and get through by phone, not sure how hard that is these days 🤷‍♂️
I had the same issue and called CC after a week. I got through quickly to a helpful chap who said I needed to send through the expiry date of the card I used for the deposit and a reason for cancellation (annoyingly, my original email had said "please advise if you need additional info", but he said CC hadn't got round to processing with my original email). Refund came about a week later, with no dramas.

I had the same issue and called CC after a week. I got through quickly to a helpful chap who said I needed to send through the expiry date of the card I used for the deposit and a reason for cancellation (annoyingly, my original email had said "please advise if you need additional info", but he said CC hadn't got round to processing with my original email). Refund came about a week later, with no dramas.
Thanks Jack, i will phone them shortly(y)

When I emailed requesting my deposit back, I received an angry response questioning why I wouldn’t want one now, and that they could command 10k over MSRP. Does one really need to ask WHY after such a long wait, such shoddy workmanship with issues abounding (and not isolated to “a few members”) total lack of communication, price increases, service support delays, or to mention the $hit show that’s to come here in the U.S. when the time comes for all the repairs and upkeep!! Lack of true dealerships and service stations, where one needs to drive hours to have their car maintained or warranty issues taken care, will grow REAL old REAL FAST.

Beautiful LOOKING car, but a pig in an evening gown will still be a pig. Keep hearing how “it looks like a car three times the price”. Well it’s not a car three times the price, and if anything, given the workmanship it should probably be cheaper. China also makes identical looking AirPod knockoffs that are one third the price, until you go to use them.

When I see an Emira for the first time here in the states, and not a “tester”, I’ll ooh and aah and then slow clap their purchase choice and wish them luck. I for one am glad I moved on with another vehicle purchase , and everyone I have come across have applauded my decision to bail. General consensus that it’s a cool car, but…….

When I emailed requesting my deposit back, I received an angry response questioning why I wouldn’t want one now, and that they could command 10k over MSRP. Does one really need to ask WHY after such a long wait, such shoddy workmanship with issues abounding (and not isolated to “a few members”) total lack of communication, price increases, service support delays, or to mention the $hit show that’s to come here in the U.S. when the time comes for all the repairs and upkeep!! Lack of true dealerships and service stations, where one needs to drive hours to have their car maintained or warranty issues taken care, will grow REAL old REAL FAST.

Beautiful LOOKING car, but a pig in an evening gown will still be a pig. Keep hearing how “it looks like a car three times the price”. Well it’s not a car three times the price, and if anything, given the workmanship it should probably be cheaper. China also makes identical looking AirPod knockoffs that are one third the price, until you go to use them.

When I see an Emira for the first time here in the states, and not a “tester”, I’ll ooh and aah and then slow clap their purchase choice and wish them luck. I for one am glad I moved on with another vehicle purchase , and everyone I have come across have applauded my decision to bail. General consensus that it’s a cool car, but…….

Congrats on getting off this crazy train!!

Congrats on getting off this crazy train!!
I feel a bit relieved tbh and I've just put a deposit down on this, which I'm looking forward to.
1939ff596390480bb416b9a3fd6782bc.jpg

I feel a bit relieved tbh and I've just put a deposit down on this, which I'm looking forward to.View attachment 32084
Great looking car! Those are always intrigued me. TBH I actually like these more than the Emira and look more "super car".

It is sad that Lotus has behaved the way they have over these painful 2 1/2 yrs. As a long time Lotus owner, I really hoped they had changed, but I'm also not surprised.
Such a wasted opportunity :(

Great looking car! Those are always intrigued me. TBH I actually like these more than the Emira and look more "super car".
Thanks, I sold a red Gen 1 V8 whilst waiting in anticipation for the Emira and I'm now looking forward to the Gen 2.
20210912_151119.jpg

I'm wondering if the wave of FE 2.0 orders that just went in was Lotus NA's attempt to thwart an exodus of "reservations" from potential Emira owners that have been hanging around since the car was first unveiled in mid '21....

Just curious - Did you have a written Deposit Agreement with your dealer?
Yes, its states once the final deposit is sent it becomes non refundable, but it does say that if for any reason the vehicle cannot be delivered the entire deposit will be refunded. I still dont have an emira in my garage..

Yes, its states once the final deposit is sent it becomes non refundable, but it does say that if for any reason the vehicle cannot be delivered the entire deposit will be refunded. I still dont have an emira in my garage..
Update us on how this goes, you have a valid point.

Truthfully, depositors should be pissed off. Not one car delivered to USA as of yet.

Truthfully, depositors should understand that the waiting list for a Corvette Z06 is at least two years, and I can only imagine what the wait time is for a Porsche GT3.

Truthfully, some people are very emotional.
The waiting list for a Z06 or a GT3 is because of the number of people in line, not the inability of the manufacturer to build and ship product.

The Lotus wait has nothing to do with that, it's purely the inability (or strategic refusal) of the manufacturer to build and ship cars.

It's my guess that they could have built cars and shipped to North America last year, but after the Covid global supply chain delays in 2021 they ran the numbers on the new EPA Tier 3 fleet average emissions requirements and decided to wait to certify until they could simultaneously ship I4 and EV products.

Unlike GM and Porsche, Lotus doesn't have a production fleet to average their halo sports car emissions against, and Geely probably wasn't in favor of spending millions on carbon offset credits to satisfy EPA.

So we wait. In silence. With Lotus saying nothing whatsoever to the thousands of people they are holding deposits for in escrow. It's ludicrous.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back