I'm out - the cancellations thread

Beautiful LOOKING car, but a pig in an evening gown will still be a pig. Keep hearing how “it looks like a car three times the price”. Well it’s not a car three times the price, and if anything, given the workmanship it should probably be cheaper. China also makes identical looking AirPod knockoffs that are one third the price, until you go to use them.

That's a very harsh perspective, but probably a useful one. Hopefully someone from Lotus reads these posts at some point with an intention to learn, rather than just shrug and despair.

This is how good brands die, even when flush with cash. As a series of unforced errors and own goals.

I'm wondering if the wave of FE 2.0 orders that just went in was Lotus NA's attempt to thwart an exodus of "reservations" from potential Emira owners that have been hanging around since the car was first unveiled in mid '21....
Almost certainly It was to increase the order book depth for the US dealer network, which surely had grown fearful and upset about the total lack of return on their significant individual business investments in the Lotus brand.

When I emailed requesting my deposit back, I received an angry response questioning why I wouldn’t want one now, and that they could command 10k over MSRP. Does one really need to ask WHY after such a long wait, such shoddy workmanship with issues abounding (and not isolated to “a few members”) total lack of communication, price increases, service support delays, or to mention the $hit show that’s to come here in the U.S. when the time comes for all the repairs and upkeep!! Lack of true dealerships and service stations, where one needs to drive hours to have their car maintained or warranty issues taken care, will grow REAL old REAL FAST.

Beautiful LOOKING car, but a pig in an evening gown will still be a pig. Keep hearing how “it looks like a car three times the price”. Well it’s not a car three times the price, and if anything, given the workmanship it should probably be cheaper. China also makes identical looking AirPod knockoffs that are one third the price, until you go to use them.

When I see an Emira for the first time here in the states, and not a “tester”, I’ll ooh and aah and then slow clap their purchase choice and wish them luck. I for one am glad I moved on with another vehicle purchase , and everyone I have come across have applauded my decision to bail. General consensus that it’s a cool car, but…….
I’ve had my deposit in for 2 years. two is also the number of times I was supposed to test drive the car but once, I didn’t make it in line fast enough and the second time, the car broke down the day before.

I have kept hoping something would change with Lotus. But as stated above, they continue to fail me. They have zero credibility and the idea of giving them $100k seems like way too big a gamble for me.

Sending my refund request now.

I'm out - and then back in again.....

So today I cancelled my UK i4 FE order - it was, allegedly, UK production number #47 so some of you may have moved up a spot.

Amongst the reasons for this are (in no particular order):
  • Ongoing delivery delays – no longer an acceptable timescale for deliver in the winter
  • One UK price increase imposed despite assurances that it wouldn’t be – but USA customer cars were price protected from the start
  • Total lack of any form of proactive, individual customer communication for the last 2 years – leading to constant need to ask for updates
  • Lacklustre reviews to date of the i4 variant, particularly the gearbox mapping, and the lack of any test drive availability (or communication of same) for early depositors before the need to commit
  • “Award winning” eCommerce platform unable to even display planned build and delivery timescales or to accept payments in any other way than by use of the faster payment system - small amounts over many payments or even days would be necessary for a full cash payment where your customers banks don’t allow the full amount in one amount
  • Total inability of anyone (including Lotus Financial Services, factory contacts and my local service agent) to provide any justification for the i4 3-year service pack being £1,100 more than the equivalent V6 service pack or the equivalent fixed prices for “pay as you go” servicing
In no way should this decision reflect negatively on the Lotus customer services team who have operated admirably within the parameters available to them – but they do appear to also suffer from a lack of up to date information, and a disconnect from both the factory production and decision makers/management teams, even when contacted for updated information.

However I will be staying with the Lotus brand and the Emira - I have agreed to purchase an ex-demonstrator V6 Auto Emira FE from an approved used sales agent and the proactivity of the sales experience to date couldn’t be more different (in a positive way!). This car has less 300 miles and was only registered on 31st July (new enough to have a revised wiper motor already!).

It's also a significant cost saving on my pre-August 2023 protected i4 pricing, let alone the current V6 Auto pricing with all OTR costs absorbed (including the 1st year's road fund licence - I only have to pay the £570 2nd year rate for a year from collection and then for another 5 years). Specification is in my signature (or will be shortly - I'll update after I post this)- it's being prepped and ceramic-coated so just a week or two to go now! :)

I'm out - and then back in again
Sorry to lose you from the ever dwindling I4 list but congrats on the switcheroo! I must admit, I've also been contemplating the V6 auto as a more attractive alternative. Sounds like you've saved yourself a packet too in the the process. You've echoed all my concerns in your list, the only difference is that I'm a bit more relaxed about the wait. I don't see myself using it so much over the winter anyway.

Sorry to lose you from the ever dwindling I4 list but congrats on the switcheroo! I must admit, I've also been contemplating the V6 auto as a more attractive alternative. Sounds like you've saved yourself a packet too in the the process. You've echoed all my concerns in your list, the only difference is that I'm a bit more relaxed about the wait. I don't see myself using it so much over the winter anyway.
Thanks - my strong recommendation would be to not take an i4 at the current revision without driving one first..... ;)

Reactions: ADC

So today I cancelled my UK i4 FE order - it was, allegedly, UK production number #47 so some of you may have moved up a spot.

• Ongoing delivery delays – no longer an acceptable timescale for deliver in the winter
  • One UK price increase imposed despite assurances that it wouldn’t be – but USA customer cars were price protected from the start
  • Total lack of any form of proactive, individual customer communication for the last 2 years – leading to constant need to ask for updates
  • Lacklustre reviews to date of the i4 variant, particularly the gearbox mapping, and the lack of any test drive availability (or communication of same) for early depositors before the need to commit
  • “Award winning” eCommerce platform unable to even display planned build and delivery timescales or to accept payments in any other way than by use of the faster payment system - small amounts over many payments or even days would be necessary for a full cash payment where your customers banks don’t allow the full amount in one amount
  • Total inability of anyone (including Lotus Financial Services, factory contacts and my local service agent) to provide any justification for the i4 3-year service pack being £1,100 more than the equivalent V6 service pack or the equivalent fixed prices for “pay as you go” servicing
In no way should this decision reflect negatively on the Lotus customer services team who have operated admirably within the parameters available to them – but they do appear to also suffer from a lack of up to date information, and a disconnect from both the factory production and decision makers/management teams, even when contacted for updated information.

However I will be staying with the Lotus brand and the Emira - I have agreed to purchase an ex-demonstrator V6 Auto Emira FE from an approved used sales agent and the proactivity of the sales experience to date couldn’t be more different (in a positive way!). This car has less 300 miles and was only registered on 31st July (new enough to have a revised wiper motor already!).

It's also a significant cost saving on my pre-August 2023 protected i4 pricing, let alone the current V6 Auto pricing with all OTR costs absorbed (including the 1st year's road fund licence - I only have to pay the £570 2nd year rate for a year from collection and then for another 5 years). Specification is in my signature (or will be shortly - I'll update after I post this)- it's being prepped and ceramic-coated so just a week or two to go now! :)
I think you'll be pleased with the V6 auto. I have found the gear change plenty responsive with the paddles and love the way it will downshift 2 gears with kick down; and as others have said the V6 engine noise definitely improves with more burbles etc after 1000 miles.

I think you'll be pleased with the V6 auto. I have found the gear change plenty responsive with the paddles and love the way it will downshift 2 gears with kick down; and as others have said the V6 engine noise definitely improves with more burbles etc after 1000 miles.
Only 750 to go then :)

Thanks JimH for sharing your experience. I wish you success and lots of enjoyment with your V6 Auto.

I need to stay with my i4 FE order due to very different conditions here in Japan. There is no chance whatsoever to switch to an available V6, and the pricing of the I4 FE has already made two big jumps upwards since I locked in my contract (which means that I will only pay the contracted price without later increases). I would also loose the 10% of list price down-payment that I have prepaid, if I were to cancel.

I think the current (repeated and continuous) delays of the i4 model are such that managing director Matt Windle definitely should be making an official, public explanation stating the reasons why this is happening, and what is Lotus Car’s realistic plans for the i4 model going forward.

Last edited:
I can already tell you how it goes, they said no lol.
When did they actually "put in your order" and if so did you get any confirmation of it?
I've had my deposit in for over 2 years but I got the call 2 months ago that "It was time!" Dealer confirmed my specs over the phone and said my order was being put in. Annnnd I've received nothing. No emails from the dealer or Lotus.

Well folks… never thought I would say it but I’m Out

My 2+ year deposit has been refunded. After postponements delays and more delays quality issues and the fact that they still have not released an Orange Emira I just can’t take it anymore. Kind of started feeling like when I was a teenager sitting at home waiting for the land line to ring hoping it was a girl wanting to go out. Painful! After watching what’s happening with the cars in the UK I’m not sure the Emira would pass the lemon laws in the United States if it ever gets here. Production may end before we see and Emira on US soil.

I have been a lifelong Lotus fan and will remain to cheer on the brand.

When did they actually "put in your order" and if so did you get any confirmation of it?
I've had my deposit in for over 2 years but I got the call 2 months ago that "It was time!" Dealer confirmed my specs over the phone and said my order was being put in. Annnnd I've received nothing. No emails from the dealer or Lotus.

Only confirmation was from my dealer. They did CC me on a letter where Lotus had acknowledged the email where they sent my spec, but nothing official from Lotus that it was approved.

Thanks, I sold a red Gen 1 V8 whilst waiting in anticipation for the Emira and I'm now looking forward to the Gen 2.View attachment 32089

Congratulations you’ll love the Gen 2 still have pangs of regret selling mine after she was out of warranty IMO in a different league to Emira it is super sports !
Exhaust notes 👌🏼 G87 is now my toy 🧸

Reactions: AGP

That's good news Jim, I initially started to think about the refund in the same way. Why wait for an FE14 for more money than a new/nearly new V6 Auto, especially with the reviews about the AMG gearbox and no solid info on delivery dates.
Makes total sense. Congratulations(y)

Last edited:
Congratulations you’ll love the Gen 2 still have pangs of regret selling mine after she was out of warranty IMO in a different league to Emira it is super sports !
Exhaust notes 👌🏼 G87 is now my toy 🧸
I'm really looking forward to it, I'm planning on picking it up on Tue, it's definitely going to be a big hike from the V8 which, in itself was fine but I need an Auto now , hence the Emira I4 FE deposit.
I think I remember seeing your post about the G86, I saw my first one on the wknd, it certainly looks mean(y)
It's a shame we are discussing the other cars we have bought in place of the Emira, but life's too short to hang about.

Got to spend A LOT of time with the car. The Lotus Rep let me put it through the paces. Smoke the tires, whole bit. I Put it in Track mode and gave it hell. End of the day….it was just OK. I mean it didn’t suck, but Track mode was the only time it felt like a sports car, let alone a GD Lotus. There are less than 12 people ahead of me to confirm the spec with the factory. January will be my lock in time.

Maybe it’s been hyped too much but it didn’t blow me away. It didn’t really force a smile on my face. It was just, OK.

Got to spend A LOT of time with the car. The Lotus Rep let me put it through the paces. Smoke the tires, whole bit. I Put it in Track mode and gave it hell. End of the day….it was just OK. I mean it didn’t suck, but Track mode was the only time it felt like a sports car, let alone a GD Lotus. There are less than 12 people ahead of me to confirm the spec with the factory. January will be my lock in time.

Maybe it’s been hyped too much but it didn’t blow me away. It didn’t really force a smile on my face. It was just, OK.
So, are you in or out?
Yes I know the thread title.
The Emira seems to spark either bragging rights or griping rights.

I honestly don’t know. And that makes me a little sad.
Sounds like you need to immediately mod it. I wonder if the aftermarket world will be like Supra or GTR where for under $10k it’s a beast.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back