I'm out - the cancellations thread

I don't know, after watching the review of the i4 from The Smoking Tire, it didn't seem that the lower horsepower figure was an issue at all. In fact, they remarked how the extra torque really pushed you back in your seat, which is what most people think of as power anyways. They said the V6 only felt a bit more powerful at the top of the rpm range, which for around town driving, is not typical of how you'd use the car. The 0-60 times were slightly in favor of the i4, so I don't see the horsepower difference making much of a difference you would notice. I still want the V6 for the sound and the manual trans, but I don't think the i4 owners are going to be missing any performance.

The thing that’s now got me considering bailing out is the fact the Chinese are getting a 400 bhp i4 ( mentioned again in the latest top gear i4 review)and the rest of us 360 bhp .
That’s really not acceptable.
I live in the UK and they are exporting a better version of the car I’ve had a deposit on for over 2 years 😡
If, as some of the reviews state, "the M139 is delivered from AMG with the DCT box as a complete and sealed unit with no hardware and very few software changes permitted" then the likelihood is that the Chinese 400hp version, if indeed any different at all (i.e. just a marketing/model positioning exercise outside of China - no-one's dyno'd a UK-spec i4 yet as far as I know), is simply a different engine map. Lotus could use this on future "hotter" i4's for other territories, but could also make available as an aftersales upgrade (for a price) for FE's....

If, as some of the reviews state, "the M139 is delivered from AMG with the DCT box as a complete and sealed unit with no hardware and very few software changes permitted" then the likelihood is that the Chinese 400hp version, if indeed any different at all (i.e. just a marketing/model positioning exercise outside of China - no-one's dyno'd a UK-spec i4 yet as far as I know), is simply a different engine map. Lotus could use this on future "hotter" i4's for other territories, but could also make available as an aftersales upgrade (for a price) for FE's....

That's not going to happen. This will anger buyers who bought a V6 on account of the power difference and set up unrealistic expectations of future aftersales power upgrades, whether with or without cost.

After being told by Lotus of DC (both over the phone in May, and again in person at the demo test drive last month), that I was getting my car in the first batch of FEs, I was told today that I'm now in the FE 2.0 batch. I know this is fair game for dealers to max their profits and push people out of priority slots when bigger $$ talks, but this, of course, now means I won't get my car until well into next year, and I also have to pay the new, higher price regardless of my signed contract at the original price. Pardon my language, but F%#k that. I'm 100% out. I've asked them to refund my deposit. Even though I've been waiting with excitement for a couple years now, I have literally no feelings of regret. I'm no fan of being lied to and getting screwed over.
I've enjoyed my year in this online community, and i wish better luck to all of you. I'll be sure to honk when I see you out there on the US roads next year!
Was your initial deposit with them from a couple of years ago? Seems that they are playing silly games. Your warning sign was that they didn't ask you to lock in a FE 1.0 build. All of those were locked by the end of 2022 as far as I know. Maybe DC did not get any FE 1.0 allocations at all since they only recently opened? Perhaps they were trying to negotiate for a few FE 1.0 slots but was ultimately denied by Lotus? Anyway, just trying to figure out why they would string you along like this.

That's not going to happen. This will anger buyers who bought a V6 on account of the power difference and set up unrealistic expectations of future aftersales power upgrades, whether with or without cost.
So did a retrospective price increase for all i4 orders regardless of deposit date but that happened……

Last edited:
I think this has been telegraphed for a while. Can't remember the original source but there was talk of an Emira S and / or an Emira R. The Eletre model line gives some credence to these rumours.

This said, things have turned out dramatically different from when these plans were being made, I'm not sure Lotus has enough room for another two variants. I'd expect, based on past behaviour and the temptation of increased margins, that they will release a hotter variant of the Emira as a last ICE hoorah; the question is if it'll be based on the V6 or i4 platform.

I think this has been telegraphed for a while. Can't remember the original source but there was talk of an Emira S and / or an Emira R. The Eletre model line gives some credence to these rumours.

This said, things have turned out dramatically different from when these plans were being made, I'm not sure Lotus has enough room for another two variants. I'd expect, based on past behaviour and the temptation of increased margins, that they will release a hotter variant of the Emira as a last ICE hoorah; the question is if it'll be based on the V6 or i4 platform.
At this point my money would be on the i4 and also, if just software, some “Lotus Approved Accessory” upgrades for FE’s….

At this point my money would be on the i4 and also, if just software, some “Lotus Approved Accessory” upgrades for FE’s….
I'd prefer a V8 (sound etc) So V6 is minimum to me. A 4 banger..no way..from the videos I've seen and heard no thanks..But I'm used to having at least a Hemi in all my vehicles an FCA employee. I'd personally be embarrassed to tell anyone if they asked what's under the hood? Um a 4 cylinder ..

Was your initial deposit with them from a couple of years ago? Seems that they are playing silly games. Your warning sign was that they didn't ask you to lock in a FE 1.0 build. All of those were locked by the end of 2022 as far as I know. Maybe DC did not get any FE 1.0 allocations at all since they only recently opened? Perhaps they were trying to negotiate for a few FE 1.0 slots but was ultimately denied by Lotus? Anyway, just trying to figure out why they would string you along like this.
Lotus of DC didn't even exist in 2021 when the V6 FE was launched. They did get a small number of FE 1.0 cars as a new dealer initial allocation, but that wasn't until at least summer or fall of 2022. So I don't know what this guy's narrative is about.

Last edited:
Lotus of DC didn't even exist in 2021 when the V6 FE was launched. They did get a small number of FE 1.0 cars as a new dealer initial allocation, but that wasn't until at least summer or fall of 2022. So I don't know what this guy's narrative is about.

Also going through Lotus DC, just got my portal placement last week. When are you expecting delivery of yours if you're still in?

I'm also going through Lotus of DC. I've been on the waiting list for an I4/DCT since August of 2022, and I just got an email that they were ready to finalize my order. But with the recent tepid reviews of the DCT, I've decided to hit pause until I have a chance to drive one myself. We'll see if/when that actually happens. So far, no word as to when they might have an I4 test car.

Meanwhile, I'm also on the list for a Z06, and continue to inch closer...

I’ve bailed out after the 2 years plus wait !
I’ve had 3 emails over the time saying my i4 6 months away !

I’m reading too many problems owners are having !

Plus they did not honour the price I was signed up for ( deposit day after reveal ) !

Underwhelmed about the i4 power as it’s not the a45 bhp. !

I had sold my Porsche boxster way too early in hindsight!
I’ve now registered interest at my nearest Porsche dealer for the 2025 boxster EV
It won’t break , the roof comes off and it will be faster !

Shame I’ve owned other lotus cars , but not this time .

I’ve bailed out after the 2 years plus wait !......

I’ve now registered interest at my nearest Porsche dealer for the 2025 boxster EV......

But, But, But..... No "Vroom Vrooommm".... . ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ADC
But, But, But..... No "Vroom Vrooommm".... . ;)
Not completely sure of the level of sarcasm here (which is what makes this post even more great IMO), but sound is a Big Deal to some! :D

I’ve gone from m3s to rs4s and v8 vantage and yes great sounding you are right , but I own a model y performance and I really like it , so while I’d love a mint S1 Elise for nostalgia I’m ready to embrace EV sports cars , it’s coming either way 😊

I am officially out. I have requested a refund for my deposit. After having the opportunity to purchase a gated manual R8 V10, learning after almost 2 years of waiting I did not qualify for FE2.0 (v6) and it would be another 18 months at least, and hearing of a wide variety of continued issues, I felt it was best to withdraw. I think I was strung along so many times with false hope followed by silence and issues, that I lost trust (and excitement) in a company that I have rooted for since I was a kid. It really has been a disappointing experience as a customer and as an introduction into the world of performance cars, in general, but I love my R8 and I think it was the right choice for me!

The most important takeaway from this entire process for me has been that it doesn't matter what you drive or how much it costs, as long as you love your car. I have started going to more car meets again, and whether you have a built, bought, new, vintage, econobox, supercar, etc - you can always tell the people who are passionate about what they have!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum along the way... the R8 forum is not nearly as welcoming, responsive, or down-to-earth as this forum!

I am officially out. I have requested a refund for my deposit. After having the opportunity to purchase a gated manual R8 V10, learning after almost 2 years of waiting I did not qualify for FE2.0 (v6) and it would be another 18 months at least, and hearing of a wide variety of continued issues, I felt it was best to withdraw. I think I was strung along so many times with false hope followed by silence and issues, that I lost trust (and excitement) in a company that I have rooted for since I was a kid. It really has been a disappointing experience as a customer and as an introduction into the world of performance cars, in general, but I love my R8 and I think it was the right choice for me!

The most important takeaway from this entire process for me has been that it doesn't matter what you drive or how much it costs, as long as you love your car. I have started going to more car meets again, and whether you have a built, bought, new, vintage, econobox, supercar, etc - you can always tell the people who are passionate about what they have!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum along the way... the R8 forum is not nearly as welcoming, responsive, or down-to-earth as this forum!

It's ok. You will be back soon with an Emira. The Emira is such a special car

I’ve bailed out after the 2 years plus wait !
I’ve had 3 emails over the time saying my i4 6 months away !

I’m reading too many problems owners are having !

Plus they did not honour the price I was signed up for ( deposit day after reveal ) !

Underwhelmed about the i4 power as it’s not the a45 bhp. !

I had sold my Porsche boxster way too early in hindsight!
I’ve now registered interest at my nearest Porsche dealer for the 2025 boxster EV
It won’t break , the roof comes off and it will be faster !

I'm out as well. I really loved the IDEA (body design and powertrain) of the Emira, but at 80 miles from the nearest Lotus dealership and all the issues owners in the UK have been having, I don't want to go back to the "old days" when my old car would conk out on the street, followed by other drivers helping me to push the car to the side of the road. This type of thing should never happen with a new car. Plus I'm spoiled from owning Lexus and Mazda vehicles. :)

I must say that everyone on this forum has been great. Thanks for the memories, as the old song went.
My options are a used NC1 NSX or a new Supra 3.0 Premium with auto transmission. I have an NC MX5 with manual transmission and will keep this car as a brother to a much faster car.
Dave

I don't like to think that I'm out but I've cancelled my FE and am waiting to see if Lotus can sort the myriad of production issues in later variants. I'm not interested in a 100k manual and the i4 reviews are baffling. The lighter car with more torque should win a sprint between the two engines. Anyhoo, Lotus USA has more allocation available for i4s than demand so...

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back