I'm out - the cancellations thread

I emailed the dealer last night to finalize canceling my order. Normally I don't really hear much from them, but I got an email back very quickly this morning and it was kind of odd and left things wide open:

"Thank you for your feed back but I have remind you this car to me is the European model /prototype and not 100% reflective of what the USA version will be in the final build.
I think they are and from what I heard still refining it and we all are hoping for the final to have more horsepower which is not out of the question at this time."

Something tells me that is wishful thinking that they're going to suddenly increase the power. Even if they added 20 to 30 horsepower I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a big enough difference for me to change my mind given the other factors involved.
That is a bit humorous. Looks like the botched delays, interest rates and recession is catching up to Lotus.

🧐 What? The dealer seriously said the USA version might have more HP? By final build they must mean the actual final edition that'll come in 10 years or so... 😂

I reached out to CS today and asked specifically about my order and if NA production was still on schedule to begin in Jan even with the latest delays my UK friends are being contacted about. The response I got was the same copy and pasted BS... I responded and asked to kindly escalate my question to a manager or someone who can actually look up my order and confirm if I'll be receiving my Emira this spring or can assist me in canceling and returning my deposits.

View attachment 10451
It will be sad to see you go... But I understand why at this point. I do not believe we will see many North American cars in spring if any. My guess would be mid-summer to start trickling in, majority showing up end of summer/fall. Very little base Emira's will be coming next year, and for i4 customers I would bet on 2024 arrival.

I'm honestly trying to decide if it's worth leaving my $5k deposit with the dealer for the next year, maybe year and a half? I'm in line for a base, but based on UK delays, who knows what will happen with US cars.

Do you all think it's necessary to have a deposit in order to eventually get a car? Or do you think over the next couple years anyone will be able to order and buy one? I realize nobody has a crystal ball, but don't you all think once the frenzy dies down, they'll be as easy to get as the Evora?

I'm honestly trying to decide if it's worth leaving my $5k deposit with the dealer for the next year, maybe year and a half? I'm in line for a base, but based on UK delays, who knows what will happen with US cars.

Do you all think it's necessary to have a deposit in order to eventually get a car? Or do you think over the next couple years anyone will be able to order and buy one? I realize nobody has a crystal ball, but don't you all think once the frenzy dies down, they'll be as easy to get as the Evora?
It's impossible to say right now. The 'frenzy' may increase once people see these on the roads; they ARE stunning to look at. The base configurator hasn't come online yet, so we don't know what the order book is going to look like once people can config and order base models. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the orders and wait time may increase from that.

So far, it looks like Lotus is having an easier time getting parts for LHD cars than RHD, and the emissions regulations in the U.S. aren't quite as stiff as Europe and the U.K., so they may have an easier time building cars for the U.S.

The problem is the looming deadlines that will eliminate the sale of new ICE cars. A couple of years here, a couple of years there, and we're halfway through the 2020's and fast approaching those deadlines. I would expect manufacturers to start winding down their plans to build ICE cars starting in 2025, because they're going to have to begin the ramping up process to have their electric portfolio ready, which includes switching over their entire manufacturing process.

If this wasn't the end of the ICE era, it would be easier to predict things, but there's just no easy way to do that right now. I would say if you can afford it, keep your deposit in as that at least guarantees you a place in line before the base configurator goes online.

It's impossible to say right now. The 'frenzy' may increase once people see these on the roads; they ARE stunning to look at. The base configurator hasn't come online yet, so we don't know what the order book is going to look like once people can config and order base models. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the orders and wait time may increase from that.

So far, it looks like Lotus is having an easier time getting parts for LHD cars than RHD, and the emissions regulations in the U.S. aren't quite as stiff as Europe and the U.K., so they may have an easier time building cars for the U.S.

The problem is the looming deadlines that will eliminate the sale of new ICE cars. A couple of years here, a couple of years there, and we're halfway through the 2020's and fast approaching those deadlines. I would expect manufacturers to start winding down their plans to build ICE cars starting in 2025, because they're going to have to begin the ramping up process to have their electric portfolio ready, which includes switching over their entire manufacturing process.

If this wasn't the end of the ICE era, it would be easier to predict things, but there's just no easy way to do that right now. I would say if you can afford it, keep your deposit in as that at least guarantees you a place in line before the base configurator goes online.
All good thoughts there....

It will be sad to see you go... But I understand why at this point. I do not believe we will see many North American cars in spring if any. My guess would be mid-summer to start trickling in, majority showing up end of summer/fall. Very little base Emira's will be coming next year, and for i4 customers I would bet on 2024 arrival.
Sad to say that I agree given what little info I've recently received from my dealer here in the Northeast USA; mid-late '23 deliveries for most FE's followed by base in early '24.

The first UK i4 deliveries have today received build months of July 2023 (a few early deposits as far as I know) and August 2023 (later in the day 8th July 2021 deposits)

The first UK i4 deliveries have today received build months of July 2023 (a few early deposits as far as I know) and August 2023 (later in the day 8th July 2021 deposits)

I got told August and I was July 7th.

Glad I'm getting out.

I was referring to the US market - yes, you are correct, I did see that the UK gents are mid summer '23.

July 23 for me albeit what confidence I have in this I don’t know

Attachments

• F1CDA164-7113-4E76-B8CF-F34C05D9D21B.png
    F1CDA164-7113-4E76-B8CF-F34C05D9D21B.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 48
Sad to see @NicolasB and @VL3X moving forward with cancelling.

I'm passively browsing cars as the used market softens -- it'll be a race between the used market and when Lotus can deliver.

Same. I'm currently saving up for a down payment, but if I get to around $50k-$60k or so next September and there's no delivery in sight I'll be incredibly hard to resist just to buying a new (automatic) Supra or possibly used Evora 400 in straight up cash, assuming interest rates are going to be insane this time next year.

Sad to see @NicolasB and @VL3X moving forward with cancelling.

I'm passively browsing cars as the used market softens -- it'll be a race between the used market and when Lotus can deliver.

I'm not 100% out yet.. Just waiting on confirmation if mine will be delivered this spring or not. If they say Fall 2023, we all know that means Winter 2023.. Or early 2024.. Which is just rediculous.

Or do you think over the next couple years anyone will be able to order and buy one? I realize nobody has a crystal ball, but don't you all think once the frenzy dies down, they'll be as easy to get as the Evora?
I think.........yes!

It has to be said, anyone on this forum could have seen where this was heading ...... its not a surprise that i4 cars are at least 7 8 9 months delayed since V6 cars are well into 8 months (spring 2022) delays also.... and are still not up to full production. The story has been evolving for a while..there should be no sudden shock here..

Porsche GT products are sold out for 2 years.... they dont even want new orders for the factory at the moment....
People's aspirations of this car being a 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and a red line of 9000 revs and delivery asap should have been slowly dashed over the last 6 - 9 months. Lotus have sapped the life from these thoughts long ago...

I understand people cancelling, but I cant quite understand how they didnt see this coming....
NO auto's anywhere was a big clue ... Matt W and others having said there were delays with them.... V6 always before i4....
Sorry to see anyone drop out and yes the worst thing is perhaps having missed out on decent interest rates to get other options, but if those other options are exclusive sports cars, I dont think there will be much on offer much sooner... And I dont think any BMW or Japenese offering is that exclusive.... Great cars yes.... but....

Waiting for the angry faces..

Last edited:
It has to be said, anyone on this forum could have seen where this was heading ...... its not a surprise that i4 cars are at least 7 8 9 months delayed since V6 cars are well into 8 months (spring 2022) delays also.... and are still not up to full production. The story has been evolving for a while..there should be no sudden shock here..

Porsche GT products are sold out for 2 years.... they dont even want new orders for the factory at the moment....
People's aspirations of this car being a 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and a red line of 9000 revs and delivery asap should have been slowly dashed over the last 6 - 9 months. Lotus have sapped the life from these thoughts long ago...

I understand people cancelling, but I cant quite understand how they didnt see this coming....
NO auto's anywhere was a big clue ... Matt W and others having said there were delays with them.... V6 always before i4....
Sorry to see anyone drop out and yes the worst thing is perhaps having missed out on decent interest rates to get other options, but if those other options are exclusive sports cars, I dont think there will be much on offer much sooner... And I dont think any BMW or Japenese offering is that exclusive.... Great cars yes.... but....

Waiting for the angry faces..

Why we didn't see it coming?

Less than 1 month ago Lotus HQ was telling U.S. dealers first deliveries in later winter / early spring. Now it's sounding more like another year wait.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back