I'm out - the cancellations thread

...a weeks backlog of cancellations to respond to and say they will be working the weekend...
Yikes (emphasis mine). But good for people who are still on board I guess.

Maybe we should ask Harry to have a word with them. He seems to be their brand ambassador.
A post on his Instagram and an @ to lotuscars highlighting the cancellations and lack of repayment might prompt some action

Thanks Tom - thats a great option To be fair, they promised action on monday so I'll hold off until then.

Well it's been fun. One problem with making people wait is that old "buyer's remorse" kicks in and we come to our senses..:) I priced out insurance here in Calif. and good coverage would run me $4k per year. That combined with sparse parts/service and only a 2 year warranty helped make my decision easier. Good luck to all you who manage to wait it out, I'm sure you will enjoy the car. I'm just not gunna be one of you. Cheers I'm out.

I often ask myself, why dont they do a test going round in circles with all these supposedly amazing handling cars and see how they really rate against each other, same tyres..same conditions....
Because if my LDA day was anything to go by, driving round in circles (the action, not the person!) makes you vom!

The Emira is a good second/third/fourth car. It's not a primary car. It's a bit of a toy. I'm no one's advisor here or even a close friend, but my recommendations to a close friend would be only to buy the Emira if it truly excites you to own one. There are plenty of cars that give you a "good enough" ownership experience without all of the risks and peculiarities of a low-production car built for a narrow target audience.

The Emira is a good second/third/fourth car. It's not a primary car. It's a bit of a toy. I'm no one's advisor here or even a close friend, but my recommendations to a close friend would be only to buy the Emira if it truly excites you to own one. There are plenty of cars that give you a "good enough" ownership experience without all of the risks and peculiarities of a low-production car built for a narrow target audience.
Sadly, Yep I agree. It was gunna be a toy but as I thought about my past toys I remembered how the fun dissipated once service/tuning issues arose and the things became more of a curse than a blessing..:( I'm too old and grumpy to go down that road again.

I’m leaning towards canceling as well. We’ll see in the next few months but more likely than not that I’ll be canceling.

Well it's been fun. One problem with making people wait is that old "buyer's remorse" kicks in and we come to our senses..:) I priced out insurance here in Calif. and good coverage would run me $4k per year. That combined with sparse parts/service and only a 2 year warranty helped make my decision easier. Good luck to all you who manage to wait it out, I'm sure you will enjoy the car. I'm just not gunna be one of you. Cheers I'm out.
Just looked on the Lotus site and found this for you. Looks like 3 years Warranty.
"New Vehicle Warranty limited to 3 years/36,000 miles in USA and 3 years/58,000 Km in Canada"
See here :Lotus Warranty Terms

Just looked on the Lotus site and found this for you. Looks like 3 years Warranty.
"New Vehicle Warranty limited to 3 years/36,000 miles in USA and 3 years/58,000 Km in Canada"
See here :Lotus Warranty Terms
I posted the Lotus warranty details vs the C8 Corvette warranty a while ago on one of the threads because the C8 E-RAY is my backup deposit in case I give up on waiting for the Emira. There are definite advantages to a car manufacturer being located in NA for me as my Lotus dealer is 90 minutes away, no loaner cars and other perks that my GM dealer offers. I still love the Emira but now that details of the E-RAY are out and the fact that I’m first in line for one at my dealer since I passed over the Stingray it will make my decision a hard one. 1st Q 2023 will be my decision time since I now know I can get an E-RAY by summer 2023.

I posted the Lotus warranty details vs the C8 Corvette warranty a while ago on one of the threads because the C8 E-RAY is my backup deposit in case I give up on waiting for the Emira. There are definite advantages to a car manufacturer being located in NA for me as my Lotus dealer is 90 minutes away, no loaner cars and other perks that my GM dealer offers. I still love the Emira but now that details of the E-RAY are out and the fact that I’m first in line for one at my dealer since I passed over the Stingray it will make my decision a hard one. 1st Q 2023 will be my decision time since I now know I can get an E-RAY by summer 2023.
Wow! That’s like choosing between black or white.

Has anyone considered the scenario that the Emira may become financially un viable and geely pull the plug on it in the near future?

I'll admit it's far fetched but also not beyond the realms of possibility
Result

Yikes (emphasis mine). But good for people who are still on board I guess.
That's interesting: a week's worth of cancelations to process.
First the production delay,, then the wait to get a test drive, and then the letdown from doing so.
Makes me wonder if Lotus is weighing the cancelation trend against Base Edition price and timelines?
Headwinds ahead.

Those are two very different sports cars.... But both considered "toys" in Canada, so with that pick which one you like better. I agree, the biggest problem for Lotus in North America is the dealer network and CS. It is pretty much non-existent to the point that most people would never consider a Lotus.

Those are two very different sports cars.... But both considered "toys" in Canada, so with that pick which one you like better. I agree, the biggest problem for Lotus in North America is the dealer network and CS. It is pretty much non-existent to the point that most people would never consider a Lotus.
I’m really torn because I love the Emira design but since I’m a Lotus rookie I’m concerned that the after sales experience may be a pain mainly because I’m so far from TO. It’s something I didn’t really think about in the beginning being caught up with the amazing design of the car. It’s a trade off I guess but one I need to consider. You’re correct, they are very different cars. Both very exciting in different ways. Luckily I expect I have a few months to make my mind up. It’s probably going to come down to being able to find out concrete details about both cars. So far my C8 dealer has been able to keep me the most informed of production, allocations, costs and issues which is very important. Time and info will help me decide.

I’m really torn because I love the Emira design but since I’m a Lotus rookie I’m concerned that the after sales experience may be a pain mainly because I’m so far from TO. It’s something I didn’t really think about in the beginning being caught up with the amazing design of the car. It’s a trade off I guess but one I need to consider. You’re correct, they are very different cars. Both very exciting in different ways. Luckily I expect I have a few months to make my mind up. It’s probably going to come down to being able to find out concrete details about both cars. So far my C8 dealer has been able to keep me the most informed of production, allocations, costs and issues which is very important. Time and info will help me decide.
it's unknown how Lotus will handle warranty claims and aftercare... but in our case in Canada, I think you really have to look at the dealer group / dealer you are making the purchase from. If they give you confidence in doing a good job will make all the difference. It's more so up to them than Lotus HQ at this point. Calgary buyers are lucky to have a top shelf organization behind them... different area's will ultimately receive different levels of service. Unfortunately, unlike larger OEM, Lotus dealers are not all the same.

Based on arguments that have apparently already taken place between Lotus HQ and individual dealers about issues on early Emiras, I'm not confident it'll just be about your relationship with your dealer when it comes to aftercare. Lotus HQ will hold the reins in a lot of cases.

Post-Geely Lotus has already been less accommodating about warranty and non-warranty claims on Elise/Exige/Evora than pre-Geely Lotus was, at least according to a few UK and EU dealers I've spoken to. My local dealer has previously argued on my behalf on non-warranty issues but now says that is something for customers to try and negotiate direct with Lotus.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back