I'm out - the cancellations thread

Based on arguments that have apparently already taken place between Lotus HQ and individual dealers about issues on early Emiras, I'm not confident it'll just be about your relationship with your dealer when it comes to aftercare. Lotus HQ will hold the reins in a lot of cases.

Post-Geely Lotus has already been less accommodating about warranty and non-warranty claims on Elise/Exige/Evora than pre-Geely Lotus was, at least according to a few UK and EU dealers I've spoken to. My local dealer has previously argued on my behalf on non-warranty issues but now says that is something for customers to try and negotiate direct with Lotus.
well that's not great news...

Based on arguments that have apparently already taken place between Lotus HQ and individual dealers about issues on early Emiras, I'm not confident it'll just be about your relationship with your dealer when it comes to aftercare. Lotus HQ will hold the reins in a lot of cases.

Post-Geely Lotus has already been less accommodating about warranty and non-warranty claims on Elise/Exige/Evora than pre-Geely Lotus was, at least according to a few UK and EU dealers I've spoken to. My local dealer has previously argued on my behalf on non-warranty issues but now says that is something for customers to try and negotiate direct with Lotus.

This direct model sounds a bit like losing your bargaining power across the board and getting shafted!!

it's unknown how Lotus will handle warranty claims and aftercare... but in our case in Canada, I think you really have to look at the dealer group / dealer you are making the purchase from. If they give you confidence in doing a good job will make all the difference. It's more so up to them than Lotus HQ at this point. Calgary buyers are lucky to have a top shelf organization behind them... different area's will ultimately receive different levels of service. Unfortunately, unlike larger OEM, Lotus dealers are not all the same.
Agreed. Since there are only about 6 (?) Lotus dealers across Canada it means they’re pretty spread out. I went with Gentry because they seem to get more allocations than Oakville even though Oakville is closer to me. Also, Oakville were terrible at getting back to me when I first started looking. Sounds like they learned from the Lotus HQ communications team. Gentry were much better all round. They haven’t provided a lot of info but then I think they have at least passed on what they do know. I realize there are trade offs with a Lotus brand but just not sure if I want that at this stage. I shall ruminate on it.

This is my dealer, 60 minutes away. I have great confidence in them otherwise I’d go c8 or boxster
would they provide you with a car if yours is in for service / offer the extra bit of service? To me that sometimes makes all the difference.

I think if you have a dealership that knows what they are doing and do not jerk you around then warranty and service will not be a problem.
Bought my Evora from Lotus of Dallas/ Earth Motor cars.
They have been amazing to work with
Had one warranty issue and they took care of it in no time. Took 3 weeks to get part shipped in, but as soon as it came in they called me. Fixed next day.
There is an issue on front headlight glass they called me to see if I had the problem and told me if so bring car in. I do not have that issue yet. Sevice manager said not too worry if problem arose as he ordered a number of the units so that they in stock
Also had a few silly things happen. Self inflicted 😃 and they fixed them for me immediately not question asked
They are great to work with and great people

would they provide you with a car if yours is in for service / offer the extra bit of service? To me that sometimes makes all the difference.
May be a fib but as I questioned the wisdom of being an hour away, my salesman told me they pickup and drop off cars for service for free. It seems that this dealer‘s VIP service stance with their exotics is going to trickle down to my 80k Emira. If true I’m gonna be pumped
I think Lotus corporate is also super pumped to do business with such a heavy hitter (RDS not the rick:))

May be a fib but as I questioned the wisdom of being an hour away, my salesman told me they pickup and drop off cars for service for free. It seems that this dealer‘s VIP service stance with their exotics is going to trickle down to my 80k Emira. If true I’m gonna be pumped
I think Lotus corporate is also super pumped to do business with such a heavy hitter (RDS not the rick:))
most likely a BS fib/lie for sure. I was promised the same from two dealership sales people from two different brands ( Ranger Rover and Lincoln) and that promise disappeared as soon as I called for my first service.

The reply is usually.......

1) that salesman who promised you is no longer working here
2) we no longer honor that policy
3) we are short on staff and cannot do it anymore ( because we actually never did)

most likely a BS fib/lie for sure. I was promised the same from two dealership sales people from two different brands ( Ranger Rover and Lincoln) and that promise disappeared as soon as I called for my first service.

3) we are short on staff and cannot do it anymore ( because we actually never did)
Well a week ago after us not chatting for 6 months he got me on the demo drive list [which filled up quick] so until he proves me wrong, I’m expecting vip treatment
let me guess Long Island?

I got it on my Lincoln but only because we bought the "Black Label". It almost makes it worth putting up with the rock hard seat bottoms......almost.

Test drive last Friday

Based upon the above and a couple of other factors I cancelled my order at 7.30am this morning and in true "you couldn't make this up fashion" I have just received my Emira checkout email at 11.30am o_O (no slight intended towards Lotus here, just impeccable timing).

Anyway I cant say that it hasn't been an interesting ride the last 18 months! And EVERYONE on this forum has been amazing, some great characters and massive enthusiasm for the brand, which is exactly what Lotus needs right now.

It is a shame the car didn't 'quite' hit the mark for me. I was never here to make money on the car if it didn't suit my requirements, so I hope my cancellation means that one lucky individual with a classy Nimbus build gets some good news in time for Xmas.

Take care all and enjoy those gorgeous looking cars

Merry Xmas 🧑‍🎄
Leonard

PS I see @TomE is doing his own full group test! So will be back to see the fruits of his labour as an Evora GT410 is still most definitely a consideration Easter next year.

Test drive last Friday

Based upon the above and a couple of other factors I cancelled my order at 7.30am this morning and in true "you couldn't make this up fashion" I have just received my Emira checkout email at 11.30am o_O (no slight intended towards Lotus here, just impeccable timing).

Anyway I cant say that it hasn't been an interesting ride the last 18 months! And EVERYONE on this forum has been amazing, some great characters and massive enthusiasm for the brand, which is exactly what Lotus needs right now.

It is a shame the car didn't 'quite' hit the mark for me. I was never here to make money on the car if it didn't suit my requirements, so I hope my cancellation means that one lucky individual with a classy Nimbus build gets some good news in time for Xmas.

Merry Xmas 🧑‍🎄
Leonard

PS I see @TomE is doing his own full group test! So will be back to see the fruits of his labour as an Evora GT410 is still most definitely a consideration Easter next year.
Sad news but at least you're back - hope you stick around! 😭

Same here Leonard I cancelled my dv with ice grey touring a few weeks back so I hope some lotus enthusiast gets an early Xmas 🎁. I hope lotus get this right I want them to succeed but the company has some improvement in cs especially.

Test drive last Friday

Merry Xmas 🧑‍🎄
Leonard

Top man Leonard, you have been a big part of the community on here and we are all grateful.

I have left my Emira deposit in for now but will unlikely go for the car, I'm car shopping every day for an alternative option but not going to rush anything.

The one thing Lotus needed to get right was the product itself, other than the looks they have failed i'm afraid.

Anyway what you thinking what are you going for?

Top man Leonard, you have been a big part of the community on here and we are all grateful.

I have left my Emira deposit in for now but will unlikely go for the car, I'm car shopping every day for an alternative option but not going to rush anything.

The one thing Lotus needed to get right was the product itself, other than the looks they have failed i'm afraid.

Anyway what you thinking what are you going for?
I have a Polestar 2 being delivered in January now so that means I can concentrate on a purely weekend only toy now. The Emira was lacking the drama I was looking for in this regard.

Test drove the Alpine A110 and was very impressed. A lot more frenetic than the Emira, but I'm not ready for an auto just yet. Recommended for those that are though.

I am going to get my garage rebuilt and enlarged next year and then I can add something special that deserves/requires garaging.
981 Spyder
Evora GT410
Exige 390 Final Edition
Aerial Nomad
Sensibly upgraded older 911

Will possibly keep the GR Yaris until I decide, as it is a fun car for a blast/occasional track session. Yet equally as happy to be kept outside in the elements and not be mollycoddled

Well a week ago after us not chatting for 6 months he got me on the demo drive list [which filled up quick] so until he proves me wrong, I’m expecting vip treatment
let me guess Long Island?
Yes Long Island, I am in Queens NYCity, the dealers were 40 mins away.

The lincoln dealer salesman promised the world and they never delivered but that was back 15 years ago, and then the Lincon dealership went out of business right after the market crash of 2009. The Land rover dealer also promised and then weaseled out and never did what was promised.

Its all verbal sales promises. Nothing is ever in writing,

BUT....Lincoln now DOES provide the pick up in writing if you by their black label cars.

This is a weird thread....

kinda like the elimination round in a tournament.

Who can go the distance and has the iron steel mental patience to wait for their car ?

Once you throw in the towel, you come here to do your post game interview and discuss why you threw in the towel and quit.

Test drive last Friday

Merry Xmas 🧑‍🎄
Leonard

Good! One less Nimbus Emira in the area 😁👍🏼

This is a weird thread....

kinda like the elimination round in a tournament.

Who can go the distance and has the iron steel mental patience to wait for their car ?

Once you throw in the towel, you come here to do your post game interview and discuss why you threw in the towel and quit.

I think its just a point of interest to see % of people still in and % of people out and why. Post game interview is a great way of putting it. As it may help someone elses game.

I am not going to go into a diatribe about why I have cancelled, don't see the point, especially as I'm generally seen on here as being negative in my outlook.

But in summary I simply cannot get on with the seats, it doesn't feel like 400bhp to me and because of this and the focus on comfort, its lacking a bit of drama. Apart from that it really is an amazing car! And those coming from slower cars and for whom the seats work for them, will love it :)

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back