I'm out - the cancellations thread

Lol heading back to work in 15. I simply called out BS insinuating Lotus, who’s having a terrible time meeting demand, should provide weekend loaners to satiate their customers. My point is if you need “special treatment cause you’re special” in order to like the car, then bollacks. Did I use that correctly?
This is a hand built punk rock car, those who are use to cafes to wait in while getting their Aston’s serviced may be disappointed. Me I dig it the most
No offense but this might be the first time I can high five you! You just described my feelings to a T.:love:

I’m out.

This will be a long one, but I want to explain a few things and avoid the “you just have to be more patient” replies.

I had my deposit with Lotus Oakville since Sept 2021. I emailed Tony a while ago to tell him I was going to cancel unless he can give me some idea when I can expect a car. Like many others, my deposit was for an FE, but later was told that I wouldn’t get one of those. Tony said he would talk to his connections and see what the latest is. He got back to me and said they were expecting cars to arrive in the Spring and things were getting back on track and looking good. Well, that really tells me nothing since I wasn’t going to get an FE car. So they have to deliver all the FE cars to NA, then start producing and delivering non-FE cars to the world. How long until I see a car in Canada? I told him I’d be willing to bet I don't get a car in 2023 if I stick with it, so I cancelled.

My deposit came back in a day, so a pleasant surprise there.

As I’ve said, it is not the car I don’t like. It is the open-ended not having any idea when I might expect a car, and it is not being treated properly by Lotus. Those sticking with it, do you honestly think you are being treated fairly?

Minor reasons are the quality (or lack of) that seems to be present in some of the cars delivered, and concerns about support later.

I had a BMW i8 that I was going to trade in on the Emira. I just traded it in on an M4 Competition. Not really in the same category, but a very nice car.

And I just bought a Genesis GV60. Why is that significant here? I’ll tell you why. Those cars had to be ordered early this year and the orders books have been closed for months. The expected wait time now is 2 years. So how did I get one without having an order in? I noticed that dealers were starting to advertise them as in stock and ready to go, but of course at higher than MSRP. What is happening, not only with those cars but many others with long waiting times, is that people ordered them when the economy was good. You ordered with when dealer interest rates were 2% and you had a low mortgage on your house. Now your car comes in with 8%+ financing and your mortgage has increased as well. So you don’t want the car now. The dealer buys it from you and resells it. If you have a late model car in good condition you have a lot of clout with the dealer as they are desperate to get cars in to sell. So I contacted a dealer and said what I had and if they lowered the price much closer to MSRP we could maybe make a deal. And the trade-in value of cars is at an all-time high as well. I have no doubt the same thing will happen with the Emira. In fact we can see it happening already. Some people will flip to try and make money, but many will flip because financially things have changed a lot since they ordered it. So if I still want one when they start coming in, I’ll get one. But by then there will be other cars coming out as well and maybe the Emira won’t look so amazing in comparison?

I think that’s it. It was a dilemma trying to decide whether to cancel or not. It came down to me getting my money back and convincing myself that I can always buy one later. It will be really interesting to see when Canadian dealers start getting non-FE cars in.

Rick

Lol heading back to work in 15. I simply called out BS insinuating Lotus, who’s having a terrible time meeting demand, should provide weekend loaners to satiate their customers. My point is if you need “special treatment cause you’re special” in order to like the car, then bollacks. Did I use that correctly?
This is a hand built punk rock car, those who are use to cafes to wait in while getting their Aston’s serviced may be disappointed. Me I dig it the most

Lol! “Bollocks” but pretty close 🤣

I think you were calling BS as you put it on someone having been given a 24 hr bmw test drive, which absolutely happens over here so likely wasn’t bs at all… but who am I to stop you trying to rewrite history

🤨

Whilst 24 hour emira drives were never likely, dealers were only offering drives 3 days out of 6, and a lot on really bad routes. They could easily have accommodated longer drives for those who needed them by adopting the working patterns of other dealers.

I think you were calling BS as you put it on someone having been given a 24 hr bmw test drive, which absolutely happens over here so likely wasn’t bs at all… but who am I to stop you trying to rewrite history

🤨

Whilst 24 hour emira drives were never likely, dealers were only offering drives 3 days out of 6, and a lot on really bad routes. They could easily have accommodated longer drives for those who needed them by adopting the working patterns of other dealers.
I dont even think any of us expected or wanted a 24 hour test drive (as nice as that would be!)

My Alpine A110 test drive I had 2 hours before the Lotus one was my ideal.

Rock up to the dealer, grab a coffee, talk shop, get introduced to the car and then get told to take it out, have fun and return it in 'around an hour' and if you want a great driving road then this one is recommended.

Return car, get asked if you have any further questions. The end.

I dont even think any of us expected or wanted a 24 hour test drive (as nice as that would be!)

Rock up to the dealer, grab a coffee, talk shop, get introduced to the car and then get told to take it out, have fun and return it in 'around an hour' and if you want a great driving road then this one is recommended.

Leonard yes that was my great experience at Alpine dealer as well I rocked up with 30 mins notice and they explained car and handed me the keys - great ickle car 🚗

🤨

To be fair he never said demo cars

Demo car or a new car?

I partly concur. BUT if they had offered test drives in deposit order rather than the free for all that it was there would have been plenty of time for everyone to get a good drive and I'd go so far as to say the conversion rate would have been better because of it.
Still doesn't solve the set route fiasco some dealers have to put up with tho. Although one of the dealers I went to let me take it wherever I want, so go figure 🤷 Didn't really help mind as had zero idea where I was 😅
I am not an FE depositor, and when I got the email to test drive, be among the first consumers in the world to test drive, and give my thoughts, I felt like something was very wrong. Now, obviously I didn't feel guilty enough to not take the test drive and was super grateful and excited for the opportunity... but the whole time in the back of my head I was thinking about how mad I would be if I had a deposit for 2 years in the UK and some kid in America who hasn't even had a deposit for a year, and not even for the same edition (granted they aren't too dissimilar), was out on a half hour test drive before me. Or even someone else in America who had a deposit for longer, and could have used my half hour to give themselves an hour, etc. to really get to know if they want the car for their upcoming deliveries.

What's more, only a few of us still actually know the difference in feelings between the tire/ suspension setups. I have only driven sports, which luckily is what I wanted, but had I wanted tour it would have made my decision possibly even more confusing.

Interesting fact I have never test drove any of my vehicles. I tend to make a decision and go with it. I see on this forum I'm extremely low maintenance and easy to please. There seems to be many on this forum that are the complete opposite. Not saying one is better than the other.

I am not an FE depositor, and when I got the email to test drive, be among the first consumers in the world to test drive, and give my thoughts, I felt like something was very wrong. Now, obviously I didn't feel guilty enough to not take the test drive and was super grateful and excited for the opportunity... but the whole time in the back of my head I was thinking about how mad I would be if I had a deposit for 2 years in the UK and some kid in America who hasn't even had a deposit for a year, and not even for the same edition (granted they aren't too dissimilar), was out on a half hour test drive before me. Or even someone else in America who had a deposit for longer, and could have used my half hour to give themselves an hour, etc. to really get to know if they want the car for their upcoming deliveries.

What's more, only a few of us still actually know the difference in feelings between the tire/ suspension setups. I have only driven sports, which luckily is what I wanted, but had I wanted tour it would have made my decision possibly even more confusing.
You are a good SmallerBaller 🥰
I would have felt exactly the same, it just blows my tiny little mind that Lotus didn't.

I would have had to have a 5 hour + round trip if I'd wanted to try my chosen Tour Suspension. All 3 of my nearest dealers had been given blue cars with Sports suspension (again a bit baffling)

It wasn't THE deciding factor why I cancelled but it was a deciding factor not knowing how my car would feel until I took delivery.

I’m out.

This will be a long one, but I want to explain a few things and avoid the “you just have to be more patient” replies.

I had my deposit with Lotus Oakville since Sept 2021. I emailed Tony a while ago to tell him I was going to cancel unless he can give me some idea when I can expect a car. Like many others, my deposit was for an FE, but later was told that I wouldn’t get one of those. Tony said he would talk to his connections and see what the latest is. He got back to me and said they were expecting cars to arrive in the Spring and things were getting back on track and looking good. Well, that really tells me nothing since I wasn’t going to get an FE car. So they have to deliver all the FE cars to NA, then start producing and delivering non-FE cars to the world. How long until I see a car in Canada? I told him I’d be willing to bet I don't get a car in 2023 if I stick with it, so I cancelled.

My deposit came back in a day, so a pleasant surprise there.

As I’ve said, it is not the car I don’t like. It is the open-ended not having any idea when I might expect a car, and it is not being treated properly by Lotus. Those sticking with it, do you honestly think you are being treated fairly?

Minor reasons are the quality (or lack of) that seems to be present in some of the cars delivered, and concerns about support later.

I had a BMW i8 that I was going to trade in on the Emira. I just traded it in on an M4 Competition. Not really in the same category, but a very nice car.

And I just bought a Genesis GV60. Why is that significant here? I’ll tell you why. Those cars had to be ordered early this year and the orders books have been closed for months. The expected wait time now is 2 years. So how did I get one without having an order in? I noticed that dealers were starting to advertise them as in stock and ready to go, but of course at higher than MSRP. What is happening, not only with those cars but many others with long waiting times, is that people ordered them when the economy was good. You ordered with when dealer interest rates were 2% and you had a low mortgage on your house. Now your car comes in with 8%+ financing and your mortgage has increased as well. So you don’t want the car now. The dealer buys it from you and resells it. If you have a late model car in good condition you have a lot of clout with the dealer as they are desperate to get cars in to sell. So I contacted a dealer and said what I had and if they lowered the price much closer to MSRP we could maybe make a deal. And the trade-in value of cars is at an all-time high as well. I have no doubt the same thing will happen with the Emira. In fact we can see it happening already. Some people will flip to try and make money, but many will flip because financially things have changed a lot since they ordered it. So if I still want one when they start coming in, I’ll get one. But by then there will be other cars coming out as well and maybe the Emira won’t look so amazing in comparison?

I think that’s it. It was a dilemma trying to decide whether to cancel or not. It came down to me getting my money back and convincing myself that I can always buy one later. It will be really interesting to see when Canadian dealers start getting non-FE cars in.

Rick
Well @Carbuilder I can't say I disagree with your assessment. Similarly, a few weeks back my Porsche dealer rang me up about my spyder allocation. At first I hesitated (only for about 3 seconds...lol) but took it gladly. I also deposited in fall 2021 with Lotus Oakville (I think it was Sept) and did not make the F/E cut. I don't think I will see an Emira in 2023. Best guess would be a very early 2024 build with spring delivery. My spyder arrives this spring.

In all honesty, dealing with Lotus has been painful and I agree with the sentiment of warranty work/dealer issues/build quality questions. I think with time the Emira will only get better and for it's price the only other car I would entertain is the one I am getting. (718) I always said it would be my perfect two car garage, may have to keep both and work a bit more haha.

I am certainly still going to get an Emira, but now I am looking forward to a 2024 delivery. It is a shame that we need to make so many sacrifices compared to other manufacturers. I think it is something the reviews touched on, the car is great, but is it worth the overall experience? Hopefully we will see you an Emira in a year or two!

Interesting fact I have never test drove any of my vehicles. I tend to make a decision and go with it. I see on this forum I'm extremely low maintenance and easy to please. There seems to be many on this forum that are the complete opposite. Not saying one is better than the other.

I cant speak for Boston, but the UK has a lot of different road types depending where you live and the changeable weather just adds to the mix.

I think that's probably why we prefer to test drive a sports car in 'our own backyard' to ensure its going to perform.

The only car I purchased unseen was my M2 Comp and I bought it off of the back of all the rave reviews. Got it home and didn't work for me at all. A good car but not for me and my local roads and weather. Was a suprising disappointment 😕

Well @Carbuilder I can't say I disagree with your assessment. Similarly, a few weeks back my Porsche dealer rang me up about my spyder allocation. At first I hesitated (only for about 3 seconds...lol) but took it gladly. I also deposited in fall 2021 with Lotus Oakville (I think it was Sept) and did not make the F/E cut. I don't think I will see an Emira in 2023. Best guess would be a very early 2024 build with spring delivery. My spyder arrives this spring.

In all honesty, dealing with Lotus has been painful and I agree with the sentiment of warranty work/dealer issues/build quality questions. I think with time the Emira will only get better and for it's price the only other car I would entertain is the one I am getting. (718) I always said it would be my perfect two car garage, may have to keep both and work a bit more haha.

I am certainly still going to get an Emira, but now I am looking forward to a 2024 delivery. It is a shame that we need to make so many sacrifices compared to other manufacturers. I think it is something the reviews touched on, the car is great, but is it worth the overall experience? Hopefully we will see you an Emira in a year or two!
I hate you. 😒 😂
#enjoy

I hate you. 😒 😂
#enjoy
If your ever in Toronto you can take it for a spin!:) ... Honestly I couldn't say no to it! I really wasn't sure if I would get one of the last spots, I think they pulled a few strings for me to get it. Rumor is that 2023 is it for the 718 spyder run. 2024 model year will be Spyder RS/GT4 RS only. But who knows!

Lol I think it’s getting the right level we know 24 hrs is not possible but to use your great phrasing I call out bollacks of having a full list of war n piece do’s and don’ts before you go on said restrictive demo ride ( it’s only a £80k car not an Evija ) some people travelling a long distance for demo then to go on a shit route. Buying a car is a special moment and for a lot it’s the whole experience, yes we like to get that warm fuzzy feeling, build rapport, nice cappuccino n biccie. We like to feel we getting a good deal and we have chosen the right Manufacturer n dealer to lay out our hard earned dosh 💰that they going to look after us if issues arise. Knowing after said demo that great it’s meets our needs. Not to have buyers regret after car is delivered thinking 🤔 this car doesn’t do it for me.
Last year, bought a Lotus. Dealer said, here’s the keys, a suggested route if I wanted it and off I go. Come back in an hour or two., he says. Bought the car.

There are many reasons why a car isn’t suitable for a buyer.

Spending £80,000 plus finance fees, for many, is a big deal for many.

So, what’s wrong expecting the manufacture treating buyers with respect?

The ‘30 minutes to experience & make up your mind’ on something that you’ve been waiting 18 months for, and have a “take it or F off” attitude from Lotus is bit arrogant to say the least.

If your ever in Toronto you can take it for a spin!:) ... Honestly I couldn't say no to it! I really wasn't sure if I would get one of the last spots, I think they pulled a few strings for me to get it. Rumor is that 2023 is it for the 718 spyder run. 2024 model year will be Spyder RS/GT4 RS only. But who knows!
I am so jealous. Big congratulations though 🥰
I've tried for the past 6 years to get an allocation, but only having had 3 Porsches and all from different dealers it was never going to happen.
Which is why I ended up here thinking I would be looked upon a little more fondly.
Unfortunately it looks like I still fancy that girl that treats me with total disdain and I continue to have issues forming other rewarding relationships 😪

Last year, bought a Lotus. Dealer said, here’s the keys, a suggested route if I wanted it and off I go. Come back in an hour or two., he says. Bought the car.

There are many reasons why a car isn’t suitable for a buyer.

Spending £80,000 plus finance fees, for many, is a big deal for many.

So, what’s wrong expecting the manufacture treating buyers with respect?

The ‘30 minutes to experience & make up your mind’ on something that you’ve been waiting 18 months for, and have a “take it or F off” attitude from Lotus is bit arrogant to say the least.
I think you make a good point. I could see financial circumstances playing into all of the hand wringing and need to test drive. If someone is stretching financially to purchase the car it is a bigger decision than someone paying cash for a weekend toy. Good point!🫡

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back