I'm out - the cancellations thread

I put down a $2,500 that is all that was required by my dealership. My spec was submitted March 2021 and accepted / approved by lotus.
Dealership showed me the approval acceptance they received from Lotus for my car.
Asked if I needed to give more. Was told no not necessary.

Initial deposit It is fully refundable until I believe until car goes into production. There then may be a further amount required.

I asked if the $2500 deposit was all I need. Dealership said that is all lotus was asking.
Was informed they (dealership) forwards that to Lotus they do not keep it themselves.
So apparently from what has been posted here is that certain (IMO unscrupulous) dealerships in US have taken more money than Lotus required and also say it is non refundable.
I was told the exact same thing. 2500 down and no more with Naples. I was also told they would give me the money back if I ever needed to cancel as they would have no issues selling the car. I am assuming every dealer is different. Naples makes ridiculous money and they usually put a premium on their cars. People down there have throw away money and will pay for it with no issues. So probably why they seemed more relaxed with deposits and stuff.

I'm done. Emailed Lotus to cancel my i4 reservation Dec 15th. Full refund received Dec 21st. Was down for Sept 23 build but have no faith in that number. However main reason was not being wowed by the test drive. Exterior has some beautiful lines but once inside you could be sat in any run of the mill family car. Also feel I've been more patient than Lotus deserves on this journey, and that has left a bad taste in the mouth. No reason for Lotus's continued problems to be my problems. Best of luck to all.

I'm done. Emailed Lotus to cancel my i4 reservation Dec 15th. Full refund received Dec 21st. Was down for Sept 23 build but have no faith in that number. However main reason was not being wowed by the test drive. Exterior has some beautiful lines but once inside you could be sat in any run of the mill family car. Also feel I've been more patient than Lotus deserves on this journey, and that has left a bad taste in the mouth. No reason for Lotus's continued problems to be my problems. Best of luck to all.
What was the Emira for, daily or weekend? What are you buying now?

... once inside you could be sat in any run of the mill family car ...
Don't take this the wrong way (lord knows you've every right to throw your hands up after the wait you've had), but you drove the car, right?

I guess I'm just sad to see another "i4 believer" give up hope :(

Don't take this the wrong way (lord knows you've every right to throw your hands up after the wait you've had), but you drove the car, right?

I guess I'm just sad to see another "i4 believer" give up hope :(
I4 believers are a rare breed for sure….

Reactions: ADC
Sorry to see the cancellations that have come in. I for one am hanging in. I have had many Lotus cars over the years. In the last year I have sold a Caterham and in November sold V8 Esprit. I have had the test drive of the Emira in November on the highway and some roads with a few twistes and that set the final hook. I will drive an Emira again before I spec my Emira. But have I done the right thing who knows for sure, but I know it's time for a new lotus with warranty for 3 years. It will be a Base Edition V6 with 6 speed manual. Now I just have to deal with Lotus withdrawal for the next year.

I’m an i4 believer but as many of said before me; the constant moving of dates, interest rate rises etc just compound things.

As it stands I am now Aug build and Sept delivery. If this was to go back then it puts me into a probable winter 23 position. Not sure I could hang in that long to be honest
CB25AAF0-1AA9-431C-94B4-FA6BB86040B4.png

I am still somewhat surprised of the general lack of I4 information. Not even a single clean photo.

I’m an i4 believer but as many of said before me; the constant moving of dates, interest rate rises etc just compound things.

As it stands I am now Aug build and Sept delivery. If this was to go back then it puts me into a probable winter 23 position. Not sure I could hang in that long to be honestView attachment 20789

Thats interesting. I am Aug 23 production currently so I guess that puts me in the first 75 as well. Not sure I feel I have had constantly moving dates. First proper date I got was Nov build and Dec deliver (2022) then it moved to "sometime in 2023" with a confirmation date of August 23 two months later.

I've reduced my stress by cancelling my deposit and keeping that money working for me! I'm betting that by the time I would be getting a car there will be plenty of slightly used ones up for sale..:)

I've reduced my stress by cancelling my deposit and keeping that money working for me! I'm betting that by the time I would be getting a car there will be plenty of slightly used ones up for sale..:)
I don't know about that - In the UK, yes I can see it being a little more saturated.... in the US market, I do not think they will/can build enough Emira's to satisfy the US market, without sacrificing other ROW. They just don't have enough production. They can only build 5X less per year than Porsche 718's production - which is probably the exact right amount to not flood the market with used Emira's.

Just to add to this - Porsche in 2018 (pre-covid) delivered 6,100 718's into US/CAN. That is Hethel's full annual max production run. (if they can hit it)

and this from motor authority ; " In 2021, Porsche delivered 20,502 718s, and in the first quarter of 2022 a total of 4,536 718s have been delivered, keeping production roughly on pace with last year."

I really don't think Lotus will be able to keep up with demand worldwide - especially considering the 718 ICE models are on the chopping block for 2025 and that their most popular models the 4RS and upcoming Spyder RS are double the price of an Emira if you can attain an allocation. (GT4 and Spyder slated to end production for 2023 model year)

End of an Era is upon us and people wanting the last of the greatest new sports cars are on a limited time schedule. I can only see demand increasing for the Emira come 2024/2025. At the same time, production slowing to introduce the all electric version. Timing of the Emira was on Lotus' side, such a shame the production woes is taking this long to sort out. I have no doubt that the final V6 edition - probably introduced in 2024 as a 2025 car will be very limited, sold out quickly and be the final hurray for a manual Lotus. My guess is a 50-80 KG weight reduction (maybe 100KG!) with titanium exhaust, carbon bits and carbon seats and 430 BHP engine upgrade. Track suspension etc. They will earmark beating a 718 GT4 ring time with it. (manual v manual) If they can do all that, with a sub 125K USD price tag they will have the proper send off for a Lotus ICE. Not unthinkable.

Most people still have never heard of Lotus or the Emira. 2023 IMO is the make or break year for Lotus. If they cock it up people will no longer believe in them. You can see the sentiment all over the forum. Geely knows this. IMO they will pull out all the stops to prevent this billion dollar investment to fail.

Last edited:
Thats interesting. I am Aug 23 production currently so I guess that puts me in the first 75 as well. Not sure I feel I have had constantly moving dates. First proper date I got was Nov build and Dec deliver (2022) then it moved to "sometime in 2023" with a confirmation date of August 23 two months later.
I have had loads of different dates. Recent to the now Aug for September was July and pre that May 23.

Speaking for myself I believe the i4 will bring about positive reviews and suit the Emira; bringing less weight but also tuning opportunities in line with what Komotec are offering on the V6.

I just can’t stomach further delays. Said before but no real info on i4 or should I say nothing at all offered by Lotus. Don’t want to take delivery in winter. I have little confidence that my date will improve and only go further back.

The only time to get excited about the I4 and V6 Auto will be when you actually see one physically being reviewed on YouTube or somewhere else, the other thing is wait to see them on the insurance websites at that point they will have type approval and shouldn't be to far away. Im guessing we are still a few months away from both.

At this point I would definitely switch to the I4 from the V6 I just don't want to be thrown to the back of the very long queue.

With China in Covid chaos at the moment,
More postponement likely in 2023! Happy new year!

Yep. This is not over. As I said before... do not wait if you really want an Emira. The world has changes and the bad times can hit us again at any moment.

I suspect that Lotus has got its hands of many parts to fulfil future orders for some time but....

Off topic posts removed. The possible implications of lockdowns on Emira manufacturing are on topic. Debating the handling of COVID is off topic.

Off topic posts removed. The possible implications of lockdowns on Emira manufacturing are on topic. Debating the handling of COVID is off topic.
Even if it's directly the cause of the lockdowns that are affecting manufacturing? But whatever.

Even if it's directly the cause of the lockdowns that are affecting manufacturing? But whatever.
I kind of get it if the thread goes totally off topic for ages - which this didn't - MANY other threads went way off topic and weren't deleted. But it seems like censorship in this case.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back