I'm out - the cancellations thread

Last year, bought a Lotus. Dealer said, here’s the keys, a suggested route if I wanted it and off I go. Come back in an hour or two., he says. Bought the car.

There are many reasons why a car isn’t suitable for a buyer.

Spending £80,000 plus finance fees, for many, is a big deal for many.

So, what’s wrong expecting the manufacture treating buyers with respect?

The ‘30 minutes to experience & make up your mind’ on something that you’ve been waiting 18 months for, and have a “take it or F off” attitude from Lotus is bit arrogant to say the least.
Although the margin for the dealer is rather low. So an offer of a long drive to every customer could end up eroding some of that, in consumables, potential accidents etc.

Although the margin for the dealer is rather low. So an offer of a long drive to every customer could end up eroding some of that, in consumables, potential accidents etc.
All the feedback suggests that cutting the Dealers out has been a very bad idea.

After my 15 minute test drive, talked with the owner of the dealership. He said "When I get a demo car, come back and you and your wife can take it to Niagara Falls for an overnight if you would like." That was very generous, and before I made any mention of backing out. I think he could tell I didn't fully get on with the car and maybe needed more time or something. Either way, the dealer is over 4 hours away, which was a deciding factor as well. If I had all the issues with it that some of these guys are having, I would be livid if I had to go back that far to the dealer several times.

Last edited:
Good evening folks, after some research and deep meditation, I have decided I will pull the plug on the Emira, I just can't justify replacing my track ready GT for a street car, I feel the Emira doesn't wow me enough, if by 2025 Lotus decides to come up with a GT version ,I'll reconsider or even wait and go fully Electric, hopefully the electric is not 460 HP, heck I'll revive every thread on here and we'll discuss the Emira breath taking performance and great build quality and how Porsche sales have dropped by 51% since the release of the Emira, until then, I really don't have much more to add to this site other than humor, and those of you waiting for your cars don't want humor, see ya'll then... 😝

Good evening folks, after some research and deep meditation, I have decided I will pull the plug on the Emira, I just can't justify replacing my track ready GT for a street car, I feel the Emira doesn't wow me enough, if by 2025 Lotus decides to come up with a GT version ,I'll reconsider or even wait and go fully Electric, hopefully the electric is not 460 HP, heck I'll revive every thread on here and we'll discuss the Emira breath taking performance and great build quality and how Porsche sales have dropped by 51% since the release of the Emira, until then, I really don't have much more to add to this site other than humor, and those of you waiting for your cars don't want humor, see ya'll then... 😝
For those of you in the states with configs locked, are you able to back out with a refund of the deposit?

For those of you in the states with configs locked, are you able to back out with a refund of the deposit?
I'm thinking if all you have is a deposit it's refundable but once you commit to that order you are on the hook! Makes sense.

I'm thinking if all you have is a deposit it's refundable but once you commit to that order you are on the hook! Makes sense.
By commiting to an order do you mean submitting the configuration or signing some official documents to commit to purchase?

By commiting to an order do you mean submitting the configuration or signing some official documents to commit to purchase?
To commit to an Order, you have to electroniclly sign it on-line in the UK. Presume something similar elsewhere. Once you have done that Lotus will refuse to return any deposit.

To commit to an Order, you have to electroniclly sign it on-line in the UK. Presume something similar elsewhere. Once you have done that Lotus will refuse to return any deposit.

I did not have to sign in for the final deposit. There was no second deposit required. I just had to have my final order submitted by a certain date.

Possibly the USA is using a different system then.
Yes it is all kind of strange. I only put down $2500. I know some people have put down $10000. You would think the process would be universal but apparently not. My guess is it was left up to the dealer. Maybe some dealers put the deposit low because it makes it easier for people to cancel and then they keep the deposit. That way they keep small deposit and get to mark up the car for sale. Just a guess of course.

Yes it is all kind of strange. I only put down $2500. I know some people have put down $10000. You would think the process would be universal but apparently not. My guess is it was left up to the dealer. Maybe some dealers put the deposit low because it makes it easier for people to cancel and then they keep the deposit. That way they keep small deposit and get to mark up the car for sale. Just a guess of course.
yes, that makes sense. Outside of the UK they will rely on dealers to sell the cars.

My dealer required 2500 deposit to reserve a spot. Once the dealer submits the order to Lotus with your spec it becomes non-refundable and not changeable. I think an additional 2500 is reqd at that time so 5k total deposit. Been around 15 months since my first deposit on a base car. Told me to expect official order around Apr 2023 based on where I am in the cue.

It depends on the state ordered in. Each state has its own laws. Most will allow you to get your money back 100% until you actually sign on the dotted line and take delivery. That's not saying individual dealers won't make it difficult for you, but legally, you should be able to back out without penalty.

I put down a $2,500 that is all that was required by my dealership. My spec was submitted March 2021 and accepted / approved by lotus.
Dealership showed me the approval acceptance they received from Lotus for my car.
Asked if I needed to give more. Was told no not necessary.

Initial deposit It is fully refundable until I believe until car goes into production. There then may be a further amount required.

I asked if the $2500 deposit was all I need. Dealership said that is all lotus was asking.
Was informed they (dealership) forwards that to Lotus they do not keep it themselves.
So apparently from what has been posted here is that certain (IMO unscrupulous) dealerships in US have taken more money than Lotus required and also say it is non refundable.

I feel like this is some sort of trick, so that you can one-up your primary hobby of bringing threads back from the dead, and resurrect yourself at some point in the near future. :suspicious: 🤔

I didn't even make it to the order point but it is my understanding that when they call you to place your order and give your specs, putting down some more money and signing an actual purchase contract that is when things become "non-refundable". Makes sense to me since your order is now in the system and will have an impact on parts ordering unlike the deposit which is simply a place in line. Sounds like that varies depending on your State and your dealer. Check with your dealer to be sure, that will eliminate ignorant advice like mine here...:)

Good evening folks, after some research and deep meditation, I have decided I will pull the plug on the Emira, ...

In spite of all temptations to drive cars of other nations...don't pull the plug... Lotus ownership bestows honorary British Citizenship :)

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back