I'm out - the cancellations thread

The Emira does have some GT attributes / levels of refinement; however the feedback through the chassis is pure sports car and its a disservice to say otherwise.

Oh, I completely agree and absolutely loved my test drives! The steering feedback, sound, handling, brakes, acceleration, everything... it's a fantastic sportscar IMO! I was simply stating that the lack of drama might be why some are left feeling underwhelmed and cancelling their order. The Emira looks like a $200k+ exotic supercar, but it doesn't have the face melting performance that a Ferrari or McLaren might.

I was simply stating that the lack of drama might be why some are left feeling underwhelmed and cancelling their order. The Emira looks like a $200k+ exotic supercar, but it doesn't have the face melting performance that a Ferrari or McLaren might.
That's fair.

In the words of P Diddy: what I need is simple- 5 foot 5 with dimples, potential wife credentials…times get hard cry with me, die with me.

I guarantee that after that lusting honeymoon period, many owners will be tired of the Emira. I might jump back in next year or two and buy it used. For now, I see 981 GTS in my future (not supermodel type but got a good head on her shoulder and proven).
hmmmm... get the car...errr... girl.... with a few extra KM after the first guy rode the clutch hard and softened it up a bit for you....

Sorry I had to take the joke it was just to easy! haha

There are several valid reasons to be out (customer service, quality, dealer network, comms, etc.) But some of the narrative going around, like calling the Emira soft because it's not loud / won't kick out the rear end or calling it slow because it's not turbocharged / needs revs, are false mis-characterizations that won't make the alternatives shine any brighter or more sporting.

The Emira does have some GT attributes / levels of refinement; however the feedback through the chassis is pure sports car and its a disservice to say otherwise. Theatre is something different. My muscle car oozes theatre yet it couldn't be further from a sports car, as the feedback is missing.
I think the term theatre that I used is open to interpretation. My current TVR cerbera is my benchmark for theatre, 400hp, 1170kg, 7400 soft limit, stock exhaust, decat and suspension mods to suit my style…. But I have to accept it is now a classic after 20 years of ownership. It’s a very analogue lightweight sports car not a muscle car, modern regs are stifling the sports car imho. I was hoping the emira would be a keeper, the ideal modern day sports car, it just misses the mark in a few places so it will probably get a short stay in my garage when it eventually arrives, but I’m sure the S or R versions will be awesome and probably more aligned to what I’m ultimately looking for.

ahh yes, but will it be worth the 120k that Lotus perhaps believe they command.... and is an extra 40k justified for perhaps 75 kilos less and 45 Hp more..if V6 and same gear box. And how much will it drop in price compared to competition....
Always more questions than answers ;) at least in my mind. Sounds to me like you want the Gt4 RS.....
I would guess a limited run would command a premium and I would think there would be enough buyers even at £120k. Oddly the GT4RS wouldn’t work for me, I’m in the market for a sports car with practicality you can drive every day, ended up with a deposit on a manual 992GTS today, it just worked for me.

Appreciate the honesty. My observation is that a large percentage of posters appear to be in this camp and wouldn't benefit from the Emira's sporting focus (i.e. steering feel / mid engine balance / dampening).

Due to the Emira's amazing looks and reasonable pricing, seems it attracted a lot of buyers not necessarily interested in a sporting focus over grand touring.
I'm suprised, I felt it was more GT than Sports hence why I was out.
Just missing the auto box

I agree. I think with tour suspension it's a great car.........if you want a more laid back tour style of drive

I opted for sport suspension, which for me felt right and inline with my driving style but I don't think it matches the way the car drives as a whole or it's overall performance.

I think a road going GT4 Emira would be the ultimate sweet spot for me

Is the compliance what took you out? Because If the Emira is a GT, what does that make the 911, cayman, vantage, F-type, supra, NSX, R8, AMG GT, alpine and corvette? Not to mention the LC, Conti GT, Sclass coupe, SL, Gran Turismo, DBS, 8 series, McLaren GT, etc. Are those GT GTs?

Is the compliance what took you out? Because If the Emira is a GT, what does that make the 911, cayman, vantage, F-type, supra, NSX, R8, AMG GT, alpine and corvette? Not to mention the LC, Conti GT, Sclass coupe, SL, Gran Turismo, DBS, 8 series, McLaren GT, etc. Are those GT GTs?
Agreed, compliant suspension does not make it a GT car. A 570s rides better than people would expect but it's not a gt car.

There's a lot of elite level drivers on this thread 🤔😄

i have only driven touring and it seemed a little soft for my liking. I prefer a bit more 'edgy' so hoping the sports setup might suit me better.

Me too. With a heavy heart after the first 6 months of real excitement, and driven by an underwhelming test drive, with the nail in the coffin being Lotus approach to customers in general, and lack of parts to fix delivered customer cars... I'm really out this time, and have emailed to cancel.

I sincerely hope that those who take delivery of their cars find it everything they wanted it to be, and that Lotus are working to iron out their current issues, and to give more focus to their customers and building a trusted relationship.

I'm quite sad about the whole affair really... :cry:

so hopefully someone on here with a UK late 23 delivery, DV, alcantara, no BP, privacy glass spec will be getting a call about a delivery next month! Enjoy....
Several sad posts to read. If the UK (home of lotus) clan is concerned about customer service and parts availability, then what are the prospects for the rest of us?
I had the impression proximity meant advantages.
Still can't understand how test drives were such a challenge.
Or why demo cars weren't the highest priority.
Astonishing.,,..

So safe to say 🦅 you’ll ❤️ the Emira.
When do you get your demo ride to see you through to delivery
Yes, I fully expect the Emira is going to be just what I'm looking for in a sports car for the street. I don't need a demo ride. I haven't even actually seen one. Don't need it to know it's going to be a fun car to be in and drive. I've owned a Lotus Europa Twin Cam before, as well as other sports cars and muscle cars over the years. Done a lot of modding too with all of those cars.

I also don't need anything to 'see me through' as I have an Alfa Romeo Giulia for a daily driver, and it's winter here anyways so no performance driving until spring. I'm in the second order batch for U.S. delivery but I don't expect cars to start being delivered to the U.S. until probably June at the earliest, so my car wouldn't be arriving until July or August. That's fine. I'd rather it be a few months late and Lotus having gotten all or at least most of the early bugs and issues ironed out. I've waited for a year and a half already, I can be patient a few more months. :)

What a amazing world we live in! A place where 100k cars that are works of art and engineering are not enough for some people. Not that it is wrong in anyway but it does amaze me. What a world we have created.:alien:
If it was a painting that we just stare at, then it is enough. It’s like spending $1,000 a meal at French Laundry; some dishes might look fantastic but they might not fit your taste. Different strokes for different folks. That’s the beauty of having options.

Don’t really want to get into it again on what the Emira should or shouldn’t be. Bottom line is that when it was stated that it is an Evora dialed up to 11, most (if not all) of us expected it to be one hell of a sports car. It simply isn’t.

I’ll put it in terms of what most men will understand: you see a very attractive girl, hear that she’s all that, and you build up in your head she is perfect. Then you take her on a date and learned that she might not be all there. Still, you persist because she is just so hot. Every time you text or call or get to know her and take her out again, she flip flops between answers and seems to always be busy, uncommitted, and uncommunicative. After trying for 1.5 years since that first meeting, you deem she’s not all that. THAT is how I (perhaps others) feel about the Emira, Lotus, and experience thus far.
Sounds like you’ve been using Tinder…

If it was a painting that we just stare at, then it is enough. It’s like spending $1,000 a meal at French Laundry; some dishes might look fantastic but they might not fit your taste. Different strokes for different folks. That’s the beauty of having options.
Or like ordering that fine meal.... and covering it in Ketchup 🤦😄

Looking at the recently discovered VIN decoder, the Emira R is likely the car for me.

Not the compliance just the overall feel and theatre. (Both cars I drove were sports chassis also)

Bar the incredible steering everything else felt very steady to me and more GT than Sports car.

There is a fine performance line between the two nowadays. So have no doubt that what isn't sporty enough for me, feels incredibly sporty to someone else.

Obviously depends on your car back catalogue and expectations as well. I heard "for the drivers" and "Evora turned up to 11" and that was what excited me and sucked me in. Not all of the comfort features, incredible looks etc etc

Last edited:
What a amazing world we live in! A place where 100k cars that are works of art and engineering are not enough for some people. Not that it is wrong in anyway but it does amaze me. What a world we have created.:alien:
Too much choice! Welcome to a world driven and ruled by consumerism 😕

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back