I'm out - the cancellations thread

Too much choice! Welcome to a world driven and ruled by consumerism šŸ˜•
i think you are right. We have become spoilt for choice on many items, cars in particularly- I remember in the 70/80ā€™s consumed with the Esprit, Ferrari 308 and 911. More so when I watched ā€˜The Spy who Loved meā€™ in Kuwait in 1978. I vowed to own an Esprit then. I realised this in 1990 with a Peter Stevens Esprit turbo - the car had a ā€œSense of Occasionā€ every time you sat in it.

It was rare - less than 100 registered in the UK I believe in that year.

The smell of leather, the width the presence on the road.

So many good looking cars on the road now, from BMW, Aston Martin, Nissan, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo let alone Ford and Alpine. Aerial, etc. so have we lost that sense of occasion with the Emira?

Is this the reason we are disappointing as the Emira would wipe the floor with an Esprit/308 and 911 in a performance and handling departments of these icons.

We have become used to great engineering, beautiful shapes and magnificent performance - the triviality of consumerism has warped our views of this car.

I think you are right. We have become spoilt for choice on many items, cars in particularly- I remember in the 70/80ā€™s consumed with the Esprit, Ferrari 308 and 911. More so when I watched ā€˜The Spy who Loved meā€™ in Kuwait in 1978. I vowed to own an Esprit then. I realised this in 1990 with a Peter Stevens Esprit turbo - the car had a ā€œSense of Occasionā€ every time you sat in it.

So many good looking cars on the road now, from BMW, Aston Martin, Nissan, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo let alone Ford and Alpine. Aerial, etc. so have we lost that sense of occasion with the Emira?

Is this the reason we are disappointing as the Emira would wipe the floor with an Esprit/308 and 911 in a performance and handling departments of these icons.

We have become used to great engineering, beautiful shapes and magnificent performance - the triviality of consumerism has warped our views of this car.
BMW and good looking don't go together anymore.

i think you are right. We have become spoilt for choice on many items, cars in particularly- I remember in the 70/80ā€™s consumed with the Esprit, Ferrari 308 and 911. More so when I watched ā€˜The Spy who Loved meā€™ in Kuwait in 1978. I vowed to own an Esprit then. I realised this in 1990 with a Peter Stevens Esprit turbo - the car had a ā€œSense of Occasionā€ every time you sat in it.

This 100%

I dont even really get excited too much by cars now. Just a tool for me. Which is sad. Not like the old days when you saw something truly special and it was mind blowing how different it was to everything else on the road.

So to spend the best part of 80k on a sports car it has to tickle my unspeakables. It can't feel like a Golf R turned up to 11

As an autophile, I found out the answer to 'The Meaning of Cars' quite a while ago.

It is simply to have one car that is a raw, feely, smile-inducing , 'experience' and one that is a comfortable, reliable, cosseting, multi-purpose A-to-B.

Really, that is all one needs. You can't drive two cars at the same time (yet..).

It then comes down to budget and personal preference for each one.

Relating to the Emira. For some, it will fit Type A but for most it will not. It is kinda in limbo between the two which is why we are not all dribbling over it as an instant classic.

Great pairing? Any Audi RS and an Exige.

As an autophile, I found out the answer to 'The Meaning of Cars' quite a while ago.

It is simply to have one car that is a raw, feely, smile-inducing , 'experience' and one that is a comfortable, reliable, cosseting, multi-purpose A-to-B.

Really, that is all one needs. You can't drive two cars at the same time (yet..).

It then comes down to budget and personal preference for each one.

Relating to the Emira. For some, it will fit Type A but for most it will not. It is kinda in limbo between the two which is why we are not all dribbling over it as an instant classic.

Great pairing? Any Audi RS and an Exige.
EV and Caterham šŸ™ƒ

Yes, definitely an option.
I would have said an EV but feel it is just too soon for me personally.

Money no object... A Gemera as the family car and an original McLaren F1 as the raw car. šŸ˜¬

Do you think there are lots of sub 100k mid engine choices? I donā€™t

True.
BUT how many folk do you think are buying it because its mid Engine.
They are buying it for the looks which is possible because of the engine layout. But that is all...
the Rick is buying it cause itā€™s mid engined. Remember I think this is stunning.:
uxMT4m7.jpg

Iā€™m of questionable taste and character

This 100%

I dont even really get excited too much by cars now. Just a tool for me. Which is sad. Not like the old days when you saw something truly special and it was mind blowing how different it was to everything else on the road.

So to spend the best part of 80k on a sports car it has to tickle my unspeakables. It can't feel like a Golf R turned up to 11
Jeesh Leonard...the old days? And already so jaded? You're only in your 40's. Where do you go from this point? šŸ¤£

Jeesh Leonard...the old days? And already so jaded? You're only in your 40's. Where do you go from this point? šŸ¤£
All downhill lol
You know what I mean šŸ˜‚
A fast car when I was growing up was an F40, how many of those did you see šŸ˜šŸ˜
Now fast cars are everywhere and your every day EV or Hot hatch is faster on 99% of roads lol

Perhaps this indifference is coming from countries where nice cars are common. Here in Tasmania (an island about the size of New England, FYI) seeing a sports car is extremely rareā€¦ if you do itā€™s likely someone from the mainland who has brought their car over on the Ferry.

So having an Emira here will be like landing a UFO. And as it costs us $200,000 itā€™ll continue to be a rarity. This both excites and scares the pants off me.

All downhill lol
A fast car when I was growing up was an F40, how many of those did you see šŸ˜šŸ˜
Now fast cars are everywhere and your every day EV or Hot hatch is faster on 99% of roads lol
Hahaha! I saw exactly zed F40's...like ever!! (Like how I snuck that in? Zed. So much cooler! šŸ˜‰)
Yup...cars getting faster and people getting stupider!
*** and I'm an idiot because I meant zero and I knew zed was "Z" but yet my brain was thinking zero. šŸ˜³šŸ™„

Last edited:
Emailed and texted the main person as well as the salesman that took my deposit on Tuesday morning to cancel. It is now Thursday and I havenā€™t heard a peep. The last question took 5 days before I got a reply. Seems to be a theme going back since placing deposit. I always had to chase them. Seems indicative of the experience and CS I will receive. Makes me a bit happier deciding to drop out.

All downhill lol
Yes, until the EV gets to a tight curve in the road.
I remember when I had my 2001 Z51 Corvette and I was heading home on a tight, twisty road. All of a sudden at Miata flew by me like I was standing still. I tried catching that car but there was no way to do that, safely, especially not with 800 lbs more vehicle weight.

Just out of curiosity so I can try and gain an insight into other people's perspectives, when some say the car isn't sporty enough, or lacks theatre, or is disappointing, etc., what exactly were/are you looking for that you feel the Emira doesn't have? Is it something specific? A combination of things? What would it need to be what you feel it isn't now?
It has supermodel looks and terrific handling. It hooked me for sure and I put down a deposit right away. Sadly though when you take a serious look at the alternatives albeit sans manual trans, there is a lot of stuff out there that you can get without the ambiguous delivery date and ridiculous wait time. So to answer your question "what exactly were/are you looking for that you feel the Emira doesn't have?".......ownership before I die of old age...:)

Donā€™t really want to get into it again on what the Emira should or shouldnā€™t be. Bottom line is that when it was stated that it is an Evora dialed up to 11, most (if not all) of us expected it to be one hell of a sports car. It simply isnā€™t.

Iā€™ll put it in terms of what most men will understand: you see a very attractive girl, hear that sheā€™s all that, and you build up in your head she is perfect. Then you take her on a date and learned that she might not be all there. Still, you persist because she is just so hot. Every time you text or call or get to know her and take her out again, she flip flops between answers and seems to always be busy, uncommitted, and uncommunicative. After trying for 1.5 years since that first meeting, you deem sheā€™s not all that. THAT is how I (perhaps others) feel about the Emira, Lotus, and experience thus far.
Ha very well put!! In my old age I should have known better...:)

Do you think there are lots of sub 100k mid engine choices? I donā€™t
is mid engined the critical part
To me, the danger of the Emira is that it is too easy to live with, too much of a tourer
Would it give any better driving experience than a Ā£80K BMW saloon (M2 / poverty M4) that has the bonus of back seats

My personal choice is keeping a Morgan Aero 8 or getting the Emira. Morgan does all the quirky engaging bits

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back