I'm out - the cancellations thread

In the UK the price increase applies to people who placed deposits after 15 July 2021, just over a week after the reveal. Unless you’re an i4 or Base and then deposit date doesn’t matter and they’re all increased.

I deposited in Oct 21 and will still get hit with price increase. Not exactly what I'd call a late deposit.
That's an extremely late deposit compared to the original FE V6 depositors. All US allocation cars were "gone" and spoken for by the middle of July '21. By the queue numbers, you might be into the 3rd year of production (now 2025). Though with cancellations, you may be the beneficiary of queue movement, and get a 2nd production year car next spring.

I’m half in half out. I think I’m similar to a proportion of people on the forum in that I was looking for a new car for around £55k when the Emira was revealed and the £60k starting price pulled me in. £60 became £76k which was a bit of a surprise but I stuck with it and then it became £80k which really stretched my man maths but I stayed with it.

Given the economic situation at the time I decided that I would take a chance that I could buy the car and run it for a year without losing too much money and replace it with the cheaper i4 base edition so I put down a 2nd deposit early last year to this end. Given the recent price rise and potential future increases before my 2nd car will turn up, predicted Q2 24 or soon, whichever comes later, it looks like the i4 base is going to be close to the price of the V6 FE. Given that and the general fall in car values my plan no longer stacks up and I have asked for a refund on my base edition.

I’ve still got my original deposit on a V6 FE, which I’m holding on to for the moment but after spending so much time waiting and thinking about the car I’m feeling a bit over it and can’t decide if I will get it in the end or just cancel when the email comes, we will see.

Except for the fact that none of the people who have hard ordered FE V6 cars in the US will be affected by the price increase.

Price change in US/CA only affects late depositors who will be getting post-MY2024 cars.
This is good to know. Where did you hear that?

This is good to know. Where did you hear that?
Info on the USA/Canada delivery thread and here:

It's a Cayman S with £17.7k of options, rather a nice spec. and given the Emira price rise it's OTR cost is about £11k cheaper.
That will be a nice car but my experience with buying new high spec porsches is you will take a beating when you come out of it
Although current market/world who really knows!

hi everyone......
I write to share that I'm out.
I won't rehash the reasons, as they've been articulated eloquently by others already. Here is my letter to my SA, Ken Scott, at FlowLotus in North Carolina.
-----------
Hi Ken,
Hope you are well.
I’m writing to let you know that I have decided to withdraw my deposit for Emira and to look elsewhere to scratch my sports car itch. As much as I was excited by the prospect of a new lotus in my stable, I am that much more disappointed with the way the experience has turned out since placing my deposit. Lotus’s approach to the customer experience has been horrific, and I have lost faith that the company will deliver on its promises. Indeed, it seems they have already failed to do so on multiple occasions and I don’t feel like I have been treated fairly, or with even a modicum of respect as a depositor/buyer. It actually makes me sad to write this message. I was hoping for so much more, but I can not imagine a greater cluster in an automobile roll out than this one has been. With such an atrocious experience, I really do fear for the Lotus brand in America. What a shame.

I am formally requesting a return of my deposit so I can move on to an alternative car. I’m forwarding separately the email you sent confirming my deposit back in July, 2021 to facilitate this transaction. My configuration code is --------. Please let me know if you need anything else to make this happen expeditiously. If someone from Lotus USA or Lotus corporate wishes to speak with me about my experience, I am happy to provide direct feedback to them. My cell phone number is ----------. I don’t feel any ill will toward you or your dealership. I recognize fully the box you have been in. But at this point, I have lost all enthusiasm for the car, and more importantly, the company. Again, what a shame.

Thanks for sharing the journey. I imagine it has been as frustrating for you as it has been for me and countless others who are canceling their Emira deposits.

Please ping me back so we can conclude our business together.

Best,
Mike
------------------

I mean it genuinely that I am sad for this outcome. I've been saving for much of my adult life for a car like this, and have never purchased a new car before. Other things were always a higher priority. But this was to be a gift to myself and I have imagined myself driving my Magma Red V6 down the backroads of Virginia on and off for the last 18 months. But in the end, I'm not getting any younger, and I'm not the type to sell cars. I become attached to them and the experiences they represent. Returning to those memories with a drive in a given car is something I cherish. But this experience, beyond interacting with folks around the globe on this forum, has been so supremely disappointing that I doubt I would feel good about the car when ultimately I had it in my garage. So I'm looking elsewhere.

I'm grateful for the banter on this forum. thank you all, even those who gently pushed back against some points I might have made, for the kinship around what should have been a magnificent experience. I hope that will be true for all of you one day when your cars finally arrive.

God speed.
Mike

hi everyone......
I write to share that I'm out.
I won't rehash the reasons, as they've been articulated eloquently by others already. Here is my letter to my SA, Ken Scott, at FlowLotus in North Carolina.
-----------
Hi Ken,
Hope you are well.
I’m writing to let you know that I have decided to withdraw my deposit for Emira and to look elsewhere to scratch my sports car itch. As much as I was excited by the prospect of a new lotus in my stable, I am that much more disappointed with the way the experience has turned out since placing my deposit. Lotus’s approach to the customer experience has been horrific, and I have lost faith that the company will deliver on its promises. Indeed, it seems they have already failed to do so on multiple occasions and I don’t feel like I have been treated fairly, or with even a modicum of respect as a depositor/buyer. It actually makes me sad to write this message. I was hoping for so much more, but I can not imagine a greater cluster in an automobile roll out than this one has been. With such an atrocious experience, I really do fear for the Lotus brand in America. What a shame.

I am formally requesting a return of my deposit so I can move on to an alternative car. I’m forwarding separately the email you sent confirming my deposit back in July, 2021 to facilitate this transaction. My configuration code is --------. Please let me know if you need anything else to make this happen expeditiously. If someone from Lotus USA or Lotus corporate wishes to speak with me about my experience, I am happy to provide direct feedback to them. My cell phone number is ----------. I don’t feel any ill will toward you or your dealership. I recognize fully the box you have been in. But at this point, I have lost all enthusiasm for the car, and more importantly, the company. Again, what a shame.

Thanks for sharing the journey. I imagine it has been as frustrating for you as it has been for me and countless others who are canceling their Emira deposits.

Please ping me back so we can conclude our business together.

Best,
Mike
------------------

I mean it genuinely that I am sad for this outcome. I've been saving for much of my adult life for a car like this, and have never purchased a new car before. Other things were always a higher priority. But this was to be a gift to myself and I have imagined myself driving my Magma Red V6 down the backroads of Virginia on and off for the last 18 months. But in the end, I'm not getting any younger, and I'm not the type to sell cars. I become attached to them and the experiences they represent. Returning to those memories with a drive in a given car is something I cherish. But this experience, beyond interacting with folks around the globe on this forum, has been so supremely disappointing that I doubt I would feel good about the car when ultimately I had it in my garage. So I'm looking elsewhere.

I'm grateful for the banter on this forum. thank you all, even those who gently pushed back against some points I might have made, for the kinship around what should have been a magnificent experience. I hope that will be true for all of you one day when your cars finally arrive.

God speed.
Mike
Mike, thanks for your heartfelt thoughts. Yes, this journey has been made harder than it needed to be. But friendships were justly imbeded within. Though the drive may change the bond won't. Hope you continue to participate.

Mike, I sincerely understand your thinking. Sorry I will not see you and that Emira on the backroads of VA.

I’m half in half out. I think I’m similar to a proportion of people on the forum in that I was looking for a new car for around £55k when the Emira was revealed and the £60k starting price pulled me in. £60 became £76k which was a bit of a surprise but I stuck with it and then it became £80k which really stretched my man maths but I stayed with it.

Given the economic situation at the time I decided that I would take a chance that I could buy the car and run it for a year without losing too much money and replace it with the cheaper i4 base edition so I put down a 2nd deposit early last year to this end. Given the recent price rise and potential future increases before my 2nd car will turn up, predicted Q2 24 or soon, whichever comes later, it looks like the i4 base is going to be close to the price of the V6 FE. Given that and the general fall in car values my plan no longer stacks up and I have asked for a refund on my base edition.

I’ve still got my original deposit on a V6 FE, which I’m holding on to for the moment but after spending so much time waiting and thinking about the car I’m feeling a bit over it and can’t decide if I will get it in the end or just cancel when the email comes, we will see.
My journey was exactly the same - drawn in by the headline £60k but fell in love with the design so swallowed the higher £76k FE price and paid the two deposits. Drove it on track and had a factory tour which created a few concerns over quality and finish as the cars were frequently over heating and the quality and finish of the interior trim was poor. I also noted just one robot on the production line so the cars were being hand built by newly trained inexperienced workers. They were actively recruiting new staff for a second night shift to meet the demand so again quality control would have to be good to pick the mistakes of this whole new team. Alarm bells started ringing when early customers took delivery and reported a whole range of problems which have been documented on this forum. I then cancelled only to receive an email a week later advising that the price was going up £5,000. This confirmed that I had made the right decision as I suspect the cars are going to continue to have faults as many of the parts are from China and the assembly line is not fit for purpose. The culture of HQ is that they don’t care about customers so if you have a problem you are on your own. An example is the owner in Germany currently taking Lotus to court as his windscreen wipers are still not working two months after delivery.

Mike, thanks for your heartfelt thoughts. Yes, this journey has been made harder than it needed to be. But friendships were justly imbeded within. Though the drive may change the bond won't. Hope you continue to participate.
Thanks so much for this nice sentiment. I will indeed be looking in from time to time. I wish only the best for all of you with you new cars. Looking forward to hearing great stories.

Best,
Mike

My journey was exactly the same - drawn in by the headline £60k but fell in love with the design so swallowed the higher £76k FE price and paid the two deposits. Drove it on track and had a factory tour which created a few concerns over quality and finish as the cars were frequently over heating and the quality and finish of the interior trim was poor. I also noted just one robot on the production line so the cars were being hand built by newly trained inexperienced workers. They were actively recruiting new staff for a second night shift to meet the demand so again quality control would have to be good to pick the mistakes of this whole new team. Alarm bells started ringing when early customers took delivery and reported a whole range of problems which have been documented on this forum. I then cancelled only to receive an email a week later advising that the price was going up £5,000. This confirmed that I had made the right decision as I suspect the cars are going to continue to have faults as many of the parts are from China and the assembly line is not fit for purpose. The culture of HQ is that they don’t care about customers so if you have a problem you are on your own. An example is the owner in Germany currently taking Lotus to court as his windscreen wipers are still not working two months after delivery.
This is the most absurdly overstated post I've seen on this forum since joining here.

Quality of fit and finish poor? Emiras routinely overheating? Assembly line not fit for purpose? German owners going to court?

And aren't you the same guy who came in telling people that Emira paint was blistering and failing? A thing that not a single owner that has taken delivery has reported here?

Please. You're welcome to criticize all you want about things that are real, like delays or pricing or customer comms being lacking or whatever you like, but when you start fabricating a narrative from whole cloth you start to cross a line.

Leave if you're going to leave, but please don't propagandize manufactured FUD here. We have plenty of legitimate things to be irritated at Lotus about without that.

Last edited:
This is the most absurdly overstated post I've seen on this forum since joining here.

Quality of fit and finish poor? Emiras routinely overheating? Assembly line not fit for purpose? German owners going to court?

And aren't you the same guy who came in telling people that Emira paint was blistering and failing? A thing that not a single owner that has taken delivery has reported here?

Please. You're welcome to criticize all you want about things that are real, like delays or pricing or customer comms being lacking or whatever you like, but when you start fabricating a narrative from whole cloth you start to cross a line.

Leave if you're going to leave, but please don't propagandize manufactured FUD here. We have plenty of legitimate things to be irritated at Lotus about without that.
Here is the link to the article on the owner in Germany taking Lotus to court

I note you are in the USA so can be forgiven for not knowing about all the issues on current deliveries. Good luck with your new car at least it looks ok.

A link to some of the other issues

I note you are in the USA so can be forgiven for not knowing about all the issues on current deliveries. Good luck with your new car at least it looks ok.

Nothing about court. You are talking about a complaint about a windshield wiper. Porter is spot on with his response to your nonsense post.👎

Yeah that's not a court. It's literally not a court matter. That's a defect report to the German transportation regulatory agency.

Just stop it.

Nothing about court. Your are talking about a complaint about a windshield wiper. Porter is spot on with his response to your nonsense post.👎
So that’s acceptable behaviour from a car manufacturer to a new customer 👎

I note in an earlier post you work as a service manager - is that for Lotus ?
That was almost 20 years ago. I'm a director in an international org unrelated to the auto industry.

Why? Looking to shoot the messenger? 🤨

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back