I'm out - the cancellations thread

Are you sure Lotus use some sort of Escrow system, even though Lotus Financial Services are an FCA regulated company?
I was told categorically when I paid my deposit (asking the question what if Lotus go bust while I wait?).

Last edited:
I may be joining this thread soon, depressingly. I really, really, really wanted this to be at least a neutral experience and I have waited for a little under 2 years already. Between spending years 25 and 26 of my life not being able to drive a nice car, constant concerns about breakdowns and tows to the dealership, long wait times at the dealer for parts, underwhelming Dyno and 0-60 results (even for a guy who doesn't particularly care about those things, it has been a bit of a let down), an 11k price hike, and extreme lack of communication from corporate. A huge factor for me in particular is the repeated breakdowns... the US is a large country and it is not unheard of for me to drive 2 consecutive 12 hour days when travelling.

This was my first introduction into the realm of high performance vehicles, and it has been a pretty shocking let down how the customers have been treated. I have loved Lotus as a brand and always cheered for the underdog since I was a kid, but the reality is if any other car brand behaved this way I would have been out long ago. I am genuinely saddened, and I hate to say I understand why they are the underdog, and they may deserve it.

I am keeping my deposit in and will probably start looking for pre-owned R8 V10 manuals (gen 1), but if I manage to find one that is a reasonable price and moderately low miles, I will lock it in and pull my Emira deposit.

Truly, the only positive part of this experience has been the 20 minute test drive and learning from people on the forum. So I am around still, but likely not for too much longer.

I may be joining this thread soon, depressingly. I really, really, really wanted this to be at least a neutral experience and I have waited for a little under 2 years already. Between spending years 25 and 26 of my life not being able to drive a nice car, constant concerns about breakdowns and tows to the dealership, long wait times at the dealer for parts, underwhelming Dyno and 0-60 results (even for a guy who doesn't particularly care about those things, it has been a bit of a let down), an 11k price hike, and extreme lack of communication from corporate. A huge factor for me in particular is the repeated breakdowns... the US is a large country and it is not unheard of for me to drive 2 consecutive 12 hour days when travelling.

This was my first introduction into the realm of high performance vehicles, and it has been a pretty shocking let down how the customers have been treated. I have loved Lotus as a brand and always cheered for the underdog since I was a kid, but the reality is if any other car brand behaved this way I would have been out long ago. I am genuinely saddened, and I hate to say I understand why they are the underdog, and they may deserve it.

I am keeping my deposit in and will probably start looking for pre-owned R8 V10 manuals (gen 1), but if I manage to find one that is a reasonable price and moderately low miles, I will lock it in and pull my Emira deposit.

Truly, the only positive part of this experience has been the 20 minute test drive and learning from people on the forum. So I am around still, but likely not for too much longer.

I'm right there with you. 10 years older, but yeah, I agree with everything you said. This is not the experience I expected or hoped for. This forum is the best part of the Emira for me so far. Keep us posted if/when you get something new.

I almost pulled the trigger on this a couple weeks ago. It was a blast to drive but missing a couple things to be my perfect spec. Maintenence costs still scare me too.

I left the drive thinking how the Emira would be more engaging, though maybe less exciting, and have more useable power around town and cheaper services. But then again, this 570 actually exists right now and excites me. My excitement about the Emira has basically faded away at this point unfortunately. 😔

20230527_111626.jpg

I left the drive thinking how the Emira would be more engaging, though maybe less exciting, and have more useable power around town and cheaper services. But then again, this 570 actually exists right now and excites me. My excitement about the Emira has basically faded away at this point unfortunately. 😔
It is a shame, honestly. In general, I've never seen a group of fans of ANYTHING that are so down-to-earth, patient, or understanding despite constant let-downs, and that loyalty is being taken advantage of/ neglected. I thought the same thing about an R8 V10 dual clutch that I drove (still yet to drive a manual), more thrilling but less engaging. Hoping the manual adds back in some of that engagement, but I am sure not all of it. Would love to get that steering feedback from the Emira, but when the car is sitting at a dealership waiting on repairs, you arent feeling anything through the wheel at all lol

It is a shame, honestly. In general, I've never seen a group of fans of ANYTHING that are so down-to-earth, patient, or understanding despite constant let-downs, and that loyalty is being taken advantage of/ neglected. I thought the same thing about an R8 V10 dual clutch that I drove (still yet to drive a manual), more thrilling but less engaging. Hoping the manual adds back in some of that engagement, but I am sure not all of it. Would love to get that steering feedback from the Emira, but when the car is sitting at a dealership waiting on repairs, you arent feeling anything through the wheel at all lol
Your concerns are understandable, but totally anecdotal (vs personal) as none have hit the NA market yet. We're all hoping for a optimal ownership experience.
High performance and exotic cars are also temperamental. This is also the first (shakeout) year of a new car model, which even Consumer Reports would tell you to avoid without knowing a new factory and workforce are involved.
I owned an Esprit and drove the Emira. My eyes are wide open about this (a realistic not an apologist).
A Lotus ( insert favorite brand name) isn't for everyone. Yes, make sure it is right for you.
The sins I'm hung up on involve communication. A legacy brand can still learn modern methods.
Hope you find your motoring happiness.

Could not resist, “no rush” it’s your money and they are earning interest on it.
They need a better IT department to be able to sort the spam out.
Incredibly inefficient operation. Always an excuse for their in efficiency
Agree and a driver to bail and have a better ownership experience with AML. I didn’t realise the DB11 chassis had a ex-Lotus genius working on it.

I've not had the out thoughts yet - because my build date is next April - which suits me as I'm not ready for it before then.

Oddly, the Audi R8, and McLaren have also been on my mind as a used buy.

Both (used) will suffer minimal depreciation, in comparison, as they've already taken their big hit.

The McLaren probably has horrific running costs however.

The R8 (for me as an S5 Cab and ex S6 owner) would be familiar - and that may be it's downside, but residuals are good and there's no doubt it would be a fabulous car.

Thankfully - the decision is months away.

So I have finally succumbed and pulled out. The unfortunate reliability record contained within this forum has broken me. I know it may not be wholly representative of the wider population of owners but even so, why should I continue to have sleepless nights about a car I don't even own. 18 months as deposit holder has been more frustrating roller coaster ride than any car I've owned in the last 7 or 8 years.
I need a fun but reliable daily driver to do 5-8k miles a year. This is painfully obvious not an Emira. I've already got something on the driveway that ticks those boxes, I guess I'll be keeping for the short term if not longer.

This forum has been great, ten thousand times more engagement than from Hethel. Notable mentions to @TomE @Evotion @andrew6382 @Leonard @VL3X off the top of my head. I'll be hanging around until I get my deposit back atleast...

Thanks to lotus, I have taken test drives of several other sports cars I would have never ordinarily had the balls to contemplate 2 years ago. I do slightly regret passing up a lovely cayman gts 4.0 manual back in Feb, even though the long gearing was ridiculous and would have landed me in hot water no doubt. As said I've still got a GR Yaris whose talents far exceed my own and does the boring daily drive thing just as easily as making me feel like I'm Colin McRae when conditions allow.

No doubt I'll be painfully jealous when Emira become more visible in my locale. Good luck to those of you who are already in, or holding on to the fantasy...
download.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm out. I waited quite long, but got fed up eventually. Paid deposit in Feb22, for a i4 FE. Was quoted 87k€, delivery Q3 22. Then Q4, Then Q2 23. And then the price changed to 96k€. Which would not be as bad, but then ther was the "you will pay exactly what you have been quoted" promise. What got me in the end was asking my dealer in Germany, what price will I pay, and when I can expect the car, as it is June, and for at least 6 months I was told that June 23 was the definite delivery. And I heard back that delivery is not planned untill end of 23, so 22 months after order, and price will be whatever is quoted on web page at time of delivery. I checked, and right now in Gemany I can get a cayman GT4 for not a lot more, and the GTS 4.0 actually starts for less than Emira 2.0.
I had in the back of my head, that Lotus is a relatively small company, which could mean problems, but I have not expected the mess that ensued. I just dont want to have eything to do with them anymore. Communication is a mess, I have a feeling that the dealer is as fed up with Lotus as I am. they returned the deposit within a day, so at leat that went smooth. I am sort of curious how the whole Lotus comback will develop, somehow I have a feeling it will not a repeat of teh Volvo sucess.

I just cancelled my order today. I just wasn’t excited anymore to be honest. I love the looks and I’m sure it will be a great car once it finally arrives but I got myself a manual r8 and love it too much! Im a Brit out here in TX and would love to drive a British built car but we can’t seem to make this happen! Good luck to everyone and I’m sure I’ll be drooling a little bit when seeing one in my rear view mirror in the future!

I've not had the out thoughts yet - because my build date is next April - which suits me as I'm not ready for it before then.

Oddly, the Audi R8, and McLaren have also been on my mind as a used buy.

Both (used) will suffer minimal depreciation, in comparison, as they've already taken their big hit.

The McLaren probably has horrific running costs however.

The R8 (for me as an S5 Cab and ex S6 owner) would be familiar - and that may be it's downside, but residuals are good and there's no doubt it would be a fabulous car.

Thankfully - the decision is months away.
I just sold my mclaren 570s spider after 2 years and have to say it doesnt have horrific running costs (for a supercar - its on a different league to an emira) but filiform corrosion is why I got out of it in the end (before the 5 year body warranty expired).

I just sold my mclaren 570s spider after 2 years and have to say it doesnt have horrific running costs (for a supercar - its on a different league to an emira) but filiform corrosion is why I got out of it in the end (before the 5 year body warranty expired).
Yikes, that issue seems as bad as the 2 reported cases of Emira with GRP blistering.

I'm out. I waited quite long, but got fed up eventually. Paid deposit in Feb22, for a i4 FE. Was quoted 87k€, delivery Q3 22. Then Q4, Then Q2 23. And then the price changed to 96k€. Which would not be as bad, but then ther was the "you will pay exactly what you have been quoted" promise. What got me in the end was asking my dealer in Germany, what price will I pay, and when I can expect the car, as it is June, and for at least 6 months I was told that June 23 was the definite delivery. And I heard back that delivery is not planned untill end of 23, so 22 months after order, and price will be whatever is quoted on web page at time of delivery. I checked, and right now in Gemany I can get a cayman GT4 for not a lot more, and the GTS 4.0 actually starts for less than Emira 2.0.
I had in the back of my head, that Lotus is a relatively small company, which could mean problems, but I have not expected the mess that ensued. I just dont want to have eything to do with them anymore. Communication is a mess, I have a feeling that the dealer is as fed up with Lotus as I am. they returned the deposit within a day, so at leat that went smooth. I am sort of curious how the whole Lotus comback will develop, somehow I have a feeling it will not a repeat of teh Volvo sucess.
Where do you think you can get a Cayman GT4 in germany?

Where do you think you can get a Cayman GT4 in germany?
I hear its not impossible. I could also ask: where can you get an I4 emira in Germany? Anyway, its more of an example of how the emira moved from a car that was supposed to be well priced, to one that is in my opinion overpriced.

I'm right there with you. 10 years older, but yeah, I agree with everything you said. This is not the experience I expected or hoped for. This forum is the best part of the Emira for me so far. Keep us posted if/when you get something new.

I almost pulled the trigger on this a couple weeks ago. It was a blast to drive but missing a couple things to be my perfect spec. Maintenence costs still scare me too.

View attachment 27706
McLaren seems to catch a lot of flack. After a few years of depreciation you should be able to pick one up fairly reasonably. Warranties too, they transfer dealer to dealer. Believe me , I look from time to time. Back and forth between the MP4-12C and the 570GT.

I'm just going to add my name to this list. It's disappointing to leave (truth be told, I won't leave, I'll just lurk quietly in the hope of staying in touch with the goings on... You never know what may happen in the future!).
I didn't mind the wait for the car as I had a car in the garage anyway. But i think I first had misgivings when they increased the price despite promising they wouldn't. From then it just started going downhill with reports of issues and poor service. Whilst issues are perfectly acceptable (in my opinion) for a new vehicle, the quantity and type of issues have been alarming.
When I couple this with my niggling feeling that I just wasn't that impressed with the interior (when compared with competition), I have finally sent the email.
Fingers crossed for a refund in the publicised time frame.
Good luck to all you lot who get your cars... I've seen 2 in the wild now and there is no disputing they look amazing and I have pangs of jealousy when I see them.
Maybe one day when the niggles are ironed out!

I hear its not impossible. I could also ask: where can you get an I4 emira in Germany? Anyway, its more of an example of how the emira moved from a car that was supposed to be well priced, to one that is in my opinion overpriced.
Gt4 are sold out. The only ones you get new are sitting around and are massively overpriced. even used GT4s are more expensive than new Emira, at least in switzerland, where a few new Emiras are available. I drove both cars and Emira was remarkably more fun on the streets. May be the other way around on the track…

Gt4 are sold out. The only ones you get new are sitting around and are massively overpriced. even used GT4s are more expensive than new Emira, at least in switzerland, where a few new Emiras are available. I drove both cars and Emira was remarkably more fun on the streets. May be the other way around on the track…
I hope you are not in a hurry. 2 weeks so far and they haven`t even acknowledged my email.
Could not resist, “no rush” it’s your money and they are earning interest on it.
They need a better IT department to be able to sort the spam out.
Incredibly inefficient operation. Always an excuse for their in efficiency
Refunds in the bank and less than 2 weeks!. @Maurice R ... Genuinely a real shame and regret not to move ahead and my checkout email came in earlier this week. One day in the future but for now the Aston DB11 V8 will do very nicely thank you

Add me to the list...

US customer, placed my deposit at Lotus of Denver back on 21 July 21. I was confirmed as their 21st deposit and they got something like 15-17 FE 1.0 allocations.

I was willing to stick it out, even with the price hike. I got to test drive the emira and my review is my only other post.

I agree with the majority of reviews (generally positive), but those demo cars have obviously received a higher level of quality control vs customer cars.

Dealer tried to convince me to keep my deposit, said I was definitely on tap for an FE 2.0 allocation (allocation coming in August).

I want something I can drive for a road trip and not be worried about breakdowns. Closest dealer is +400 miles away. Owner issues on here are more than enough data points to convince me to pass.

I'm going back to Porsche (target CPO 718 Spyder).

Good luck to you all, reckon most will need it (especially the narcissists that have tricked yourselves into thinking it won't happen to you)!

Add me to the list...

US customer, placed my deposit at Lotus of Denver back on 21 July 21. I was confirmed as their 21st deposit and they got something like 15-17 FE 1.0 allocations.

I was willing to stick it out, even with the price hike. I got to test drive the emira and my review is my only other post.

I agree with the majority of reviews (generally positive), but those demo cars have obviously received a higher level of quality control vs customer cars.

Dealer tried to convince me to keep my deposit, said I was definitely on tap for an FE 2.0 allocation (allocation coming in August).

I want something I can drive for a road trip and not be worried about breakdowns. Closest dealer is +400 miles away. Owner issues on here are more than enough data points to convince me to pass.

I'm going back to Porsche (target CPO 718 Spyder).

Good luck to you all, reckon most will need it (especially the narcissists that have tricked yourselves into thinking it won't happen to you)!
Lovely comment. Go mingle with the Kia owners, sorry...Porsche. Same number of customers out there. You'll need luck as well to be spotted.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back