I'm out - the cancellations thread

you will regret. the emira is so much more special compared to any porsche or r8
I have come to realize that it being special also has drawbacks, and besides as I said I have not pulled my deposit and if I so choose I can trade the R8 in on the Emira. For my personal point in life, having more confidence in the vehicle is more important to me than being unique. If I stick with the R8, I will miss aspects of the Emira for sure. Heck, I miss aspects of my first car and that was boring as can be. I can appreciate the Emira and I loved my test drive and am excited for the one coming up, but another factor is that I am to the point where I don't know if Lotus has earned the business/ trust from me.

Also, gated manual V10s are quite uncommon, even if they look the same on the outside.

IMO V10 R8s and the are much more exciting than a GT4/GTS on the road. Just my opinion. Various opinions are what allow the world to have constructive discussions, progress, and innovate, and I respect yours. I also know there is some bias on any forum, and that an effective way to persuade someone of your view generally does not come in the form of "you will regret." Bottom line is that I have missed out on 2 driving seasons already, going into a 3rd and with a 4th as a possibility. Prices have gone up, reports of reliability have gone down, largely with fixable problems that I hope they get worked out, but I do not want to be the test dummy for. With an extra 2 years, it feels like they should have had ample time to work a good chunk of this stuff out.

R8 V10 and Emira are in very different classes in my opinion, and are designed to solve different sets of intentions for the owner.

R8 V10 is a budget supercar, with all the performance drama and sound of a genuine exotic. It has a relatively low cost of "entry" on the used market compared to its direct peers in the marketplace, but coupled with all the maintenance cost of a genuine exotic. The acceleration is huge, the grip is huge, the sound is huge, but it's not designed explicitly to be nimble or to flatter the driver with feedback or fluidity. It would make an insanely good tourer if your real use case is long range touring or highway/suburban duty cycle, with occasional punctuations of performance use on track or rural road. If that's you, then it would be great.

The Emira is a sports car, not a supercar, and designed for balance and engagement rather than outright performance or high drama. It has some of both, but is more designed to be a driver's tool for escape and enjoyment on twisty back roads than it is for any combination of highway or suburban/commuter use. And despite being engineered for sharp responses and driver engagement, it's built from mostly mass produced drivetrain components so the maintenance costs will be significantly lower than something with an exotic drivetrain like an R8 V10. Real world Emira reliability (not production problems, but actual reliability in use) is as yet unknown, so that's a risk. The drivetrain and chassis will probably be fine, it's the packaging and electrics that can go wrong.

Which is more special? That's personal calculus, and depends on what you particularly value. The R8 probably has higher fundamental parts quality in standard configuration than the Emira does, just based on the original price of the car and the market to which it was targeted. I do think the Emira has an exceptionally uncommon combination of traits, one that we may never see again in a vehicle that is "affordable" to normal people as a new vehicle purchase. I think more exotic cars like the R8 will continue to be available new to affluent customers, albeit at increasing cost over time as regulations become ever-tighter and ever-more-expensive exceptions must be made for them.

R8 V10 and Emira are in very different classes in my opinion, and are designed to solve different sets of intentions for the owner.

R8 V10 is a budget supercar, with all the performance drama and sound of a genuine exotic. It has a relatively low cost of "entry" on the used market compared to its direct peers in the marketplace, but coupled with all the maintenance cost of a genuine exotic. The acceleration is huge, the grip is huge, the sound is huge, but it's not designed explicitly to be nimble or to flatter the driver with feedback or fluidity. It would make an insanely good tourer if your real use case is long range touring or highway/suburban duty cycle, with occasional punctuations of performance use on track or rural road. If that's you, then it would be great.

The Emira is a sports car, not a supercar, and designed for balance and engagement rather than outright performance or high drama. It has some of both, but is more designed to be a driver's tool for escape and enjoyment on twisty back roads than it is for any combination of highway or suburban/commuter use. And despite being engineered for sharp responses and driver engagement, it's built from mostly mass produced drivetrain components so the maintenance costs will be significantly lower than something with an exotic drivetrain like an R8 V10. Real world Emira reliability (not production problems, but actual reliability in use) is as yet unknown, so that's a risk. The drivetrain and chassis will probably be fine, it's the packaging and electrics that can go wrong.

Which is more special? That's personal calculus, and depends on what you particularly value. The R8 probably has higher fundamental parts quality in standard configuration than the Emira does, just based on the original price of the car and the market to which it was targeted. I do think the Emira has an exceptionally uncommon combination of traits, one that we may never see again in a vehicle that is "affordable" to normal people as a new vehicle purchase. I think more exotic cars like the R8 will continue to be available new to affluent customers, albeit at increasing cost over time as regulations become ever-tighter and ever-more-expensive exceptions must be made for them.
I have the perfect solution. Keep both! My R8 has aftermarket suspension and the handling is exceptional. The V10 with a aftermarket exhaust screams. It still puts a smile on my face. The gated shifter takes some getting used to and you can not rush shifting. I plan on keeping both and see if one wins me over.

giphy.gif

Hey guys - I made the call yesterday and officially cancelled my order and got my deposits refunded. Without going into too much detail on how or why I came to this extremely difficult decision (most of my concerns and complaints can be found in my post history), I'll just say that it was the right decision for me. I'm tired of waiting and I just wasn't as excited for the Seneca Blue First Edition v.1.0 that I fell in love with nearly 24 months ago (and spec ordered 16 months ago). No car should be causing stress and that's what the Emira delays and poor comms have been doing to me.

With that being said, I do have some good news... I'll be flying out to pick up and drive home my new car this Friday!! I'm extremely excited as it's been one of my dream cars, in my dream spec, and it checks all the boxes for me. I feel lucky that I have the opportunity to own it and looking forward to sharing the details later. I feel re-energized and excited for a car again and that's what this is all about, right?

More good news: I plan to continue moderating and contributing to this awesome forum! We have a great group of enthusiasts and I don't regret any of the countless hours I've spent here. Also, my best friend (who lives just ~5 miles away and ordered an Emira at the same time) is following through with his purchase, so I'll still be contributing Emira content as we'll be attending track days and other car events together whenever possible.

giphy.gif

Hey guys - I made the call yesterday and officially cancelled my order and got my deposits refunded. Without going into too much detail on how or why I came to this extremely difficult decision (most of my concerns and complaints can be found in my post history), I'll just say that it was the right decision for me. I'm tired of waiting and I just wasn't as excited for the Seneca Blue First Edition v.1.0 that I fell in love with nearly 24 months ago (and spec ordered 16 months ago). No car should be causing stress and that's what the Emira delays and poor comms have been doing to me.

With that being said, I do have some good news... I'll be flying out to pick up and drive home my new car this Friday!! I'm extremely excited as it's been one of my dream cars, in my dream spec, and it checks all the boxes for me. I feel lucky that I have the opportunity to own it and looking forward to sharing the details later. I feel re-energized and excited for a car again and that's what this is all about, right?

More good news: I plan to continue moderating and contributing to this awesome forum! We have a great group of enthusiasts and I don't regret any of the countless hours I've spent here. Also, my best friend (who lives just ~5 miles away and ordered an Emira at the same time) is following through with his purchase, so I'll still be contributing Emira content as we'll be attending track days and other car events together whenever possible.
It seems like we have been in a very similar state of mind throughout this entire process! It feels good to have a renewed sense of excitement, as you said. Envious you will still have a friend nearby with one!! Glad you are making the best call for you, and congrats!!

giphy.gif

Argh, damn, it always sucks when yet another one of us just reaches the end of the tether... but I'm glad you've found your Happy Place :)

Me? I'm still fooling myself that this is what I want... < rocks back and forth muttering >

giphy.gif

You're certainly held out for a long time, and I wanted to do the same. In the back of my mind I'm still thinking about a special edition that's going to come out and be problem-free, and maybe I'll try to get my hands on one.

Looking forward to see pics of that 570 😎

You're certainly held out for a long time, and I wanted to do the same. In the back of my mind I'm still thinking about a special edition that's going to come out and be problem-free, and maybe I'll try to get my hands on one.

Looking forward to see pics of that 570 😎

Oh yeah, I'm definitely excited for a future Emira version! I still think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made. But now I have something to hold me over (not a 570). 😎

giphy.gif

Sorry to hear. You must have caught moderator-Itis!

McLaren?

Regarding the Emira, I wonder if there's a hard red line / threshold for those remaining to cancel your deposit?

Mine was what @VL3X and @SmallerBaller referenced, i.e. anxiety over poor communications and possible problems resulting in less joy and excitement in the present... Once I canceled, I was very relieved (deep breath) and slept better.

Regarding the Emira, I wonder if there's a hard red line / threshold for those remaining to cancel your deposit?

Mine was what @VL3X and @SmallerBaller referenced, i.e. anxiety over poor communications and possible problems resulting in less joy and excitement in the present... Once I canceled, I was very relieved (deep breath) and slept better.
The problems are definitely a potential threshold/redline for me. Fortunately I don’t need to make a decision until next year. If the bugs are still not sorted out by 2024, then it’s a systemic issue and I’ll probably pull out in favour of a new Lexus (or maybe a Porsche).

If you're losing sleep over the Emira it's probably wise to cancel. Same can be said for most investments in general ;)

Yeah, my line was months ago when the US "spring 2023" delivery was delayed again just 1-2 months before many of us expected deliveries AND again not properly communicated. Many of us weren't formally contacted by our dealers to inform us of the further delays. Still to this day my last order update email from Lotus is from August 11, 2022. I have zero confidence in anything Lotus communicates now and expect further delays with minimal to no notice to buyers. That and the new colors being available at the same time but not for orders that have been in for the last year (even though they haven't even been built yet).... the whole "First Edition 1.0/2.0" thing just rubbed me the wrong way and I was just waiting for something else to come along.

giphy.gif

I just saw this in IG, what a loss of a great member that would un dubitably add so much to the Emira ownership. I understand you will still be here, but having you own a car and be so compassionate about it really does wonders.

Ive been trying to get out of mine for like a year but they wont refund my money! LOL. So Im stuck like chuck!!!

I just saw this in IG, what a loss of a great member that would un dubitably add so much to the Emira ownership. I understand you will still be here, but having you own a car and be so compassionate about it really does wonders.

Thanks and don't worry! I'm not going anywhere.

Regarding your deposit... what state are you in? You should be able to get it back no problem.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back